It's been awhile

Status
Not open for further replies.

guitarmeetsjake

ECF Veteran
Jul 14, 2011
Amory, MS
Hello again, everyone! I haven't logged on in quite awhile, because I straight up quit smoking and electronic smoking... For a little while. As I pushed through hard days full of worry and stress, my neglected Riva began calling my name. I used it A LOT for a week or two, but then realized how much I missed cigarettes. I hopelessly wandered out to my car, drove to the Shell station, and spent $5 that I needed on a pack of camel menthols, promising that it would only be this one pack. Well, it was one pack. But after the week that followed, my Riva must have felt smothered from all the attention I was giving it, so vaping became increasingly more boring with every passing day. So, I went to the station and got ANOTHER pack of camel menthols, PROMISING-not just "promising", but "PROMISING" that I would put them down for good after that. It didn't turn out that way. Every pack led to the next, and then another one after the next one. I began using my Riva every chance I got again, but smoking cigarettes every chance I got as well, which is the position that I'm in right now. It went kind of like this:
Stopped smoking; Started vaping a month after; Began having an occasional cig while drinking; Began having occasional cigs while not drinking; Put down the vaporizer AND cigs; Started vaping again and didn't like it; Bought some cigs and smoked the pack; Quit cigs for another week and vaped; Grew bored of vaping again and started smoking regularly again.

I feel like a huge portion of what I gained from vaping has been thrown out a two story window and ...... on by the nearest passing dog; and the dog is a very annoying pomeranian that keeps barking at me for no apparent reason as I stare down at it from the window wishing that I could kick it really hard.

That being said, I'm probably going to be logging in on a regular basis to try to further re-acquaint myself with my wonderful vaporizer, that isn't quite as pleasurable as I'd like, but still tries it's best. It helped me quit at one point, so I'll be damned if it can't do it again.

Happy vaping!! :blush:

-Jake

bsb111

ECF Veteran
Sep 21, 2011
Albuquerque, New Mexico
guitarmeetsjake,

Just took a look at your profile - you are a young man; hard for me to offer advice but don't do as I did -stay off the cigarettes.
I only have about 200 hours into research on the safety of e-cigs and beleive not totally safe (hell nothing is totally safe); but vaping as an alternative to smoking is literally magnitudes of order safer.

For your own sake - stick with vaping.

AttyPops

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jul 8, 2010
Hc Svnt Dracones - USA EST
Welcome back Jake. The cig-monster is pretty nasty to quit. You know what it took for me????? 5 volts and 3.0 ohm authentic Joye 3.0 ohm atties. Hits like a cig. The 3.x volt stuff, even with LR atties or (yuck) cartos, didn't cut it for me. I drip at 5 volts. No messing around.

There is a withdrawal from cigs. Once you get over it... you have to resist the urge. Have backup supplies, several juice flavors to switch to.... or try DIY for "fun" and to keep you occupied.

bsb111's advice above is good, along with the others (as good as it can be without 20 years of data on these things).

bmwjen

Reviewer / Blogger
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 2, 2011
worldwide
vapehouston.com
Hey Jake! I remember you :) Welcome back. Yeah, your home group always welcomes you back (or so they say in AA).
I find that if I buy something vape related each week.........it keeps me always wanting the next neater vape. I thought about a cigarette when I got out of the shower today...........then I thought about how I would most likely choke up a lung if I even tried one.

This is my 3rd attempt at ecigs. My first being in May 2009. Each of my 2 earlier attempts were thwarted because I didn't have a good support system, & didn't know ANYTHING besides what the dumb vendor told me. It was difficult to get spare parts for the 401 system I had, & shipping from china took forever. So, like I said, this is my 3rd attempt, & best so far, a little over 9 months I think :)

If you want something bad enough, it's worth working hard for. Some things are simply worth working hard for. Welcome back, feel free to pm me, or skype me on your rough days :)
Jen

donnah

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 22, 2010
Albemarle, North Carolina
Hey Jake!! Don't beat yourself up! I didn't quit right when I started vaping.. it took me a few months of doing both. I still smoked while I researched and tried this and that and finally after 3 months I quit that last cigarette (at night before bed) with no problem at all. I really enjoyed vaping and found I didn't like or want to smoke anymore. It might take you longer and that's fine. This doesn't have to be an all or nothing thing. Every time you vape instead of smoke a cigarette is a step forward. I've seen some here that have been vaping a year or so and still smoke everyonce in a while. We're always here!

guitarmeetsjake

ECF Veteran
Jul 14, 2011
Amory, MS
Hey Jake!! Don't beat yourself up! I didn't quit right when I started vaping.. it took me a few months of doing both. I still smoked while I researched and tried this and that and finally after 3 months I quit that last cigarette (at night before bed) with no problem at all. I really enjoyed vaping and found I didn't like or want to smoke anymore. It might take you longer and that's fine. This doesn't have to be an all or nothing thing. Every time you vape instead of smoke a cigarette is a step forward. I've seen some here that have been vaping a year or so and still smoke everyonce in a while. We're always here!

Thanks, Donnah! I'm still using the caramel tobacco vape you sent me x). I vaped everything else, but I have quite a bit of this left. I'm vaping as I type this, so I guess I'm stepping forward. Slowly, but surely. :)

wdave

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jun 11, 2009
Cincinnati, OH
Hello again, everyone! I haven't logged on in quite awhile, because I straight up quit smoking and electronic smoking... For a little while. As I pushed through hard days full of worry and stress, my neglected Riva began calling my name. I used it A LOT for a week or two, but then realized how much I missed cigarettes. I hopelessly wandered out to my car, drove to the Shell station, and spent $5 that I needed on a pack of camel menthols, promising that it would only be this one pack. Well, it was one pack. But after the week that followed, my Riva must have felt smothered from all the attention I was giving it, so vaping became increasingly more boring with every passing day. So, I went to the station and got ANOTHER pack of camel menthols, PROMISING-not just "promising", but "PROMISING" that I would put them down for good after that. It didn't turn out that way. Every pack led to the next, and then another one after the next one. I began using my Riva every chance I got again, but smoking cigarettes every chance I got as well, which is the position that I'm in right now. It went kind of like this:
Stopped smoking; Started vaping a month after; Began having an occasional cig while drinking; Began having occasional cigs while not drinking; Put down the vaporizer AND cigs; Started vaping again and didn't like it; Bought some cigs and smoked the pack; Quit cigs for another week and vaped; Grew bored of vaping again and started smoking regularly again.

I feel like a huge portion of what I gained from vaping has been thrown out a two story window and ...... on by the nearest passing dog; and the dog is a very annoying pomeranian that keeps barking at me for no apparent reason as I stare down at it from the window wishing that I could kick it really hard.

That being said, I'm probably going to be logging in on a regular basis to try to further re-acquaint myself with my wonderful vaporizer, that isn't quite as pleasurable as I'd like, but still tries it's best. It helped me quit at one point, so I'll be damned if it can't do it again.

Happy vaping!! :blush:

-Jake

Don't do that again unless you have a very strong motive to quit. But at your age it should be simple to come up with very strong motives.

SnakeFarm

ECF Veteran
Sep 1, 2011
San Antonio
Here is what worked for me.

1. Make a solemn vow never to use tobacco again. Ever.
2. Set a date; make it sooner than later.
3. Get some vapeing gear and e-juice in the interim.
4. Make a list of things you hate about tobacco; scratch off the crap you are kidding yourself about.
5. Remember that even if you were quitting without vaping, you would feel better. Physical nicotine withdrawals are not painful, it’s just a sensation of being mildly hungry.
6. Remember that thousands of people have used PVs to address the mental withdrawals of smoking. With a little effort, there is no reason you can’t join them.
7. Rejoice daily; make an effort to recognize all the things that improve over the first few weeks.
8. Get some more gear and juice. Try different voltages, flavors, and nicotine levels.

wdave

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jun 11, 2009
Cincinnati, OH
Here is what worked for me.

1. Make a solemn vow never to use tobacco again. Ever.
2. Set a date; make it sooner than later.
3. Get some vapeing gear and e-juice in the interim.
4. Make a list of things you hate about tobacco; scratch off the crap you are kidding yourself about.
5. Remember that even if you were quitting without vaping, you would feel better. Physical nicotine withdrawals are not painful, it’s just a sensation of being mildly hungry.
6. Remember that thousands of people have used PVs to address the mental withdrawals of smoking. With a little effort, there is no reason you can’t join them.
7. Rejoice daily; make an effort to recognize all the things that improve over the first few weeks.
8. Get some more gear and juice. Try different voltages, flavors, and nicotine levels.

I would also take that list of what you hate about smoking and stick in your wallet. Then pull it out and read it at least every hour.

HTH,
Dave

guitarmeetsjake

ECF Veteran
Jul 14, 2011
Amory, MS
JAKE!! I've missed my guitarist buddy!! Great to "see" ya' again!! Don't worry about fallin' off the vape wagon!! Just get back up here... *extends hand to help a buddy get back on the wagon*

PS...if you ever fall off again, you're gonna be doin' pushups 'till I'M tired!! :p

Haha, thanks bass! I was wondering when you were gonna reply to this thread, because I knew you would when you saw it xD.
Glad to be back (it's going smoother than expected) and thanks for the support!! :D

Longhorn RN

ECF Veteran
Aug 4, 2011
Texas
I went through the same thing. I was having a nic fit and was so irritated with the up keep and constant filling, cleaning, etc and bought a pack. Here I am a month later and vaping again! Nothing was tasting good and my husband bought me an eGo and that helped me get back into it and now I'm back with my echo...the dual coil carto changed the taste to wow and now I'm happy vaping again and not near as frustrated. Plus, I just made a batch of blueberry cheesecke juice...yum!

Glad you are back to it!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread