It's DIY Time For Me

UncLeJunkLe

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
  • Nov 29, 2010
    Clown World, USA
    I've had plenty of recent deliveries of which the packaging (should have been) could have been a lot better than it was

Oh I hear ya. But just so you know the scale itself is packed well enough in it's own packaging to withstand Amazon's lack of proper shipping packaging. But I'm sure you can find it elsewhere for a few bucks more. AWS sells direct for $46 shipped https://awscales.com/american-weigh-500-x-01g-bowl-scale/

ShowMeTwice

Supporting Member
    ECF Veteran
    Jun 28, 2016
    the Universe
    My AWS LB-501 scale registers 1 drop as 0.03g. It does so consistently. 2 drops usually come out to 0.05g, and from that, I believe 1 drop to be 0.025g on average, depending on what flavor, and from what flavor house.

The weight of a single drop of any flavor all depends on the ingredients used for each flavor. Some flavor houses tell you the weights.

The AWS LB-501 does not register 1 drop at 0.03g instantly. It needs to sit for several, to many, seconds before registering 1 drop. If you think about it, it makes sense.

Decent high-quality scales with higher resolutions are very costly. IMHO, those are not needed for DIY, especially if one is only doing 1 or 2 flavor mixes.

I regularly mix 5ml and 10ml batches of new, or test, mixes that I create. Once I'm satisfied with a 5ml or 10ml test mix, then I mix larger batches.

The majority of my mixes are around 7% total flavoring, some are only 1-2%, only a few are over 10%, none over 15%. LOL, I have one single flavor mix that only uses 1 drop in 30ml (uses MF Guava, a super highly concentrated flavor). Most of my mixes use 5 or more flavors, some are 8 flavor, some are 2 flavor. All depends on what I'm looking to make, really.

I don't regularly use TPA/TFA, CAP or FW flavors, as many of their flavors require high percentages (more flavoring). Much prefer flavor houses that use more highly concentrated flavors. Such as....... SSA, WF, VTA, INW, FA, FLV etc. etc. Or ultra high concentrates, such as MF flavors.

From what I've seen on ELR, ATF and in several DIY FB groups, the AWS LB-501 seems to be the most widely used scale. However, there are many other fine scales that offer 0.01 resolution.

Nice thing about the AWS LB-501 is they include an AC adapter, which is important for mixing. Why? The AWS LB-501 can run on batteries, but, it will auto shut-off after X amount of time. That's the LAST thing you want happening during a mixing session.

For other scale recommendations, I would highly suggest asking in Fran's DIY thread. Her thread is the single active DIY thread on the ECF. Folks there use several different scales.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread