It's not even 8/8 yet, but.....

Status
Not open for further replies.

OlderNDirt

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Nov 8, 2014
Nebraska
There are a lot of discussions now about the deeming regs, stockpiling, is it 8/8 or not to worry for another two years, and on and on. Well, it is not August 8 yet, but the effects are already here now, today! To think they won't get worse is turning a blind eye.....the only question is how much worse? And I am not optimistic. I am fed up with the regulation today!

I'll open with, in case you couldn't tell from my screen name, my wife and I are getting up there in age. You might say "been there, done that." So she planned a trip to Oregon and at that time, I said I wanted to drive to not only avoid the pain of getting through the airport with vape supplies (mind you, the metal I already have in my body causes enough problems in and of themselves), but just to make the trip more relaxing and enjoyable. Simply put, vape along the way. But no! She has already purchased the non-refundable plane tickets.

So I do some checking on the airline's vape rules and find I can pretty much take whatever I want as long as it is properly packed on carry-on or on my person. So, although I am not looking forward to the flight with great enthusiasm, I figure I can deal with it on the way out and back....even though I know it will be a PITA! So we are good to go, right? But wait!

Just curious and checking into what vape shops may be available at our destination (after all, being able to buy some juice nearby our destination could reduce the amount of juice I would carry through the airports could only help the situation, right?), I find out that the great state of Oregon has banned all indoor vaping! So now my 10 - 12 hours of air flight PITA has turned into a 10 day PITA! So I have two wonderful choices........I go and spend 10 days in a, shall we say, undesirable limitation to my enjoyment of life or stay home and spend the rest of my life "paying the price"!

Oh, I will go (if mama ain't happy, nobody's happy!), but every minute of those 10 days, I will be reminded that, in the eyes of society and government, being a vaper is no better then being a smoker! It's back to my smoking days, grabbing a quickie between the establishment and the car, the car and the bar, and on and on.....just like when I smoked. And the worst part of that is that I just cannot hit the vape like I did the smoke. I could take 10 or more hits on a cig in a couple minutes.....I just can't do that with my vape resulting in a desire for another vape much sooner.

I am sure many are thinking "what's the big deal, it's not that hard/bad, what are you going to do, sit at home the rest of your life?" And you know what? YOU'RE RIGHT! I'll go, I'll get through it, and life will go on. But just think about this for a moment......

It isn't even August 8 yet! The deemings have not even taken effect yet! The wheel of fortune hasn't even been spun yet! Round and round she goes, where she stops, nobody knows! My situation is small potatoes in and of itself. But think about what is going on in Utah, Indiana, Oregon, and how many more. I highly doubt other states will put any of this on hold for 2 years. I am not suggesting every vaper rush out and prepare for vaping for the next 50 years. But I am suggesting that thinking nothing will change over the next two years might be a bit of overconfidence. And it isn't even August 8 yet!

Iron Molly

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 27, 2010
State of Anxiety
My State has banned all indoor vaping in any place smoking is not allowed, including bars, as of October 2015. It does suck. You are right, not much different than when I used to smoke, with the exception that I can stealth vape without much trouble if I really feel the need. Some places here have banned smoking outdoors in parks/beaches. So far, vaping isn't included and I really hope it stays that way. The whole thing is really ridiculous!

house mouse

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 24, 2010
BFE
I vape unflavored which has little to no odor. I have found in life that no matter where I go, no matter what the people around me view points are, no matter what the weather is, no matter what their rules are, they still ALWAYS let me go to the bathroom by myself.;)

Two_Bears

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 4, 2015
Northern Arizona
There are a lot of discussions now about the deeming regs, stockpiling, is it 8/8 or not to worry for another two years, and on and on. Well, it is not August 8 yet, but the effects are already here now, today! To think they won't get worse is turning a blind eye.....the only question is how much worse? And I am not optimistic. I am fed up with the regulation today!

I'll open with, in case you couldn't tell from my screen name, my wife and I are getting up there in age. You might say "been there, done that." So she planned a trip to Oregon and at that time, I said I wanted to drive to not only avoid the pain of getting through the airport with vape supplies (mind you, the metal I already have in my body causes enough problems in and of themselves), but just to make the trip more relaxing and enjoyable. Simply put, vape along the way. But no! She has already purchased the non-refundable plane tickets.

So I do some checking on the airline's vape rules and find I can pretty much take whatever I want as long as it is properly packed on carry-on or on my person. So, although I am not looking forward to the flight with great enthusiasm, I figure I can deal with it on the way out and back....even though I know it will be a PITA! So we are good to go, right? But wait!

Just curious and checking into what vape shops may be available at our destination (after all, being able to buy some juice nearby our destination could reduce the amount of juice I would carry through the airports could only help the situation, right?), I find out that the great state of Oregon has banned all indoor vaping! So now my 10 - 12 hours of air flight PITA has turned into a 10 day PITA! So I have two wonderful choices........I go and spend 10 days in a, shall we say, undesirable limitation to my enjoyment of life or stay home and spend the rest of my life "paying the price"!

Oh, I will go (if mama ain't happy, nobody's happy!), but every minute of those 10 days, I will be reminded that, in the eyes of society and government, being a vaper is no better then being a smoker! It's back to my smoking days, grabbing a quickie between the establishment and the car, the car and the bar, and on and on.....just like when I smoked. And the worst part of that is that I just cannot hit the vape like I did the smoke. I could take 10 or more hits on a cig in a couple minutes.....I just can't do that with my vape resulting in a desire for another vape much sooner.

I am sure many are thinking "what's the big deal, it's not that hard/bad, what are you going to do, sit at home the rest of your life?" And you know what? YOU'RE RIGHT! I'll go, I'll get through it, and life will go on. But just think about this for a moment......

It isn't even August 8 yet! The deemings have not even taken effect yet! The wheel of fortune hasn't even been spun yet! Round and round she goes, where she stops, nobody knows! My situation is small potatoes in and of itself. But think about what is going on in Utah, Indiana, Oregon, and how many more. I highly doubt other states will put any of this on hold for 2 years. I am not suggesting every vaper rush out and prepare for vaping for the next 50 years. But I am suggesting that thinking nothing will change over the next two years might be a bit of overconfidence. And it isn't even August 8 yet!
I know exactly where that wheel will stop.

Limitations on our liberty.

Saippenu

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 18, 2016
U.S. Northeast

Yeah I was really surprised over a year ago when I flew down to Florida to take my dying brother out of a hospice hospital to take him home to die. E-cigs were specifically mentioned on all of their no smoking signs and not allowed on hospital property, not even in your car. He was in there for a few days and I had to walk quite a ways to get off the property to vape.

But I've always kind of treated my e-cig like a regular cigarette and not used it in public. I figure that it looks scary to uniformed people and it's not their job to do the research.

You can use them in bathrooms as long as you spray some lysol first. They don't smell nearly as much as cigs and I've never set off a smoke alarm with one. Boy that would be embarrassing heh. If I were staying in a place that didn't allow vaping indoors, say in your hotel room, I would vape away so long as nobody from their staff was in the room. Just spray some lysol and if anyone asks start rambling about how stinky your last dump was ....trust me, they won't ask you another thing LOL.

Eskie

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 6, 2016
NY
I've never had anyone ever complain about any odor from vaping. I do vape a high PG juice, so there's never much of a cloud. While I don't care for limitations such as restaurants, I have never had a problem in a hotel room regardless of the no smoking policy. As long as there's no cigarette smell, housekeeping never says a word. The only thing I have heard is when folks blow big clouds and the vapor sets off a smoke detector. But with my little mist, never had an issue.

I also use a stealthy Plato. Internal tank, and the lines on it look like an electronic device with a little pipe out the top. With the screen off, I can use it and no one even knows I'm doing anything. I could be using a medical vaporizer for all they know.

I'm not suggesting that I would do it sitting at a table in a restaurant or whatnot. But in my car, hotel room, any other private space, I have no issues. And as for being outside such as on a train platform (not supposed to vape there either, even though it is outside), I've never had anyone comment on a quick toot with no smoke billowing out. I've even done it with a police officer no more than 10 feet away, and absolutely no second look. In some ways the setup is better than a cigalike, as the cigarette shape will draw attention faster, or a traditional mod with tank that's a bit harder to explain away.

OlderNDirt

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Nov 8, 2014
Nebraska
I figure that it looks scary to uniformed people and it's not their job to do the research.

Agreed, it is not their job or responsibility to research vaping as well as it is not my job or responsibility to "research" a way to do any of my daily activities based on how others might perceive that activity. Clowns are scary to some people, yet the government has not chosen to regulate clowns with pre-market testing.

I'm not so much disagreeing with you as wanting to point out that if every vaper treats vaping the same as smoking, we are, by example, putting our stamp of approval on vaping being the same as smoking and therefore, the regulations are correct.

Steamix

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Sep 21, 2013
Vapistan
Thats why I keep these unobstrusive egos and other tootle puffing gear around.
Cloud chasing is for home. Other gear and specially mixed juices are for walks in the valleys of ignorance...
Stealth vaping I've trained to an art form. Still have to try it at an ANTZ convention. But apart from that, done it pretty much anywhere and everywhere.
Folks who haven't got two braincells to bounce into each other to generate a single-digit IQ - done bothering myself with trying to explain them the difference. Fenced in and spoon-fed with 'B'-sponsored hogwash, I leave 'em be in their pathetic parallel universe.

Saippenu

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 18, 2016
U.S. Northeast
Agreed, it is not their job or responsibility to research vaping as well as it is not my job or responsibility to "research" a way to do any of my daily activities based on how others might perceive that activity. Clowns are scary to some people, yet the government has not chosen to regulate clowns with pre-market testing.

I'm not so much disagreeing with you as wanting to point out that if every vaper treats vaping the same as smoking, we are, by example, putting our stamp of approval on vaping being the same as smoking and therefore, the regulations are correct.
True, I never thought of it that way. I have a girlfriend at work who is absolutely militant about her right to vape. She does it right at her desk all day. I applaud her bravery but I have a feeling that after 8/8 that management will crack the whip. We have "NO TOBACCO PRODUCTS" signs all over the place. Even knowing about the deeming she insists it is NOT a tobacco product and thinks that she has the right to disagree with our government. I am no so hopeful.

Vandal

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 21, 2009
NE Ohio
Thats why I keep these unobstrusive egos and other tootle puffing gear around.
Cloud chasing is for home. Other gear and specially mixed juices are for walks in the valleys of ignorance...
Stealth vaping I've trained to an art form. Still have to try it at an ANTZ convention. But apart from that, done it pretty much anywhere and everywhere.
Folks who haven't got two braincells to bounce into each other to generate a single-digit IQ - done bothering myself with trying to explain them the difference. Fenced in and spoon-fed with 'B'-sponsored hogwash, I leave 'em be in their pathetic parallel universe.
With everything that is in reality harmless or even helpful that has been demonized, sooner or later the truth bubbles up. It could take a while, but I think this will be true with vaping as well. Meanwhile, I vape with discretion. I also vape where I could never get away with smoking (doctor's office, vet, etc.) and have never been called on it. But I vape practically unflavored so I don't think there's much to smell.

I just don't see a point in being anything but discrete while we vapers are seen as no better than smokers. Like you, I don't want to spend my time pointlessly arguing with the wilfully ignorant. The truth will out, and if I am still alive by then, I will vape with abandon.

ScandaLeX

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 6, 2013
PhiLLy
True, I never thought of it that way. I have a girlfriend at work who is absolutely militant about her right to vape. She does it right at her desk all day. I applaud her bravery but I have a feeling that after 8/8 that management will crack the whip. We have "NO TOBACCO PRODUCTS" signs all over the place. Even knowing about the deeming she insists it is NOT a tobacco product and thinks that she has the right to disagree with our government. I am no so hopeful.
HIGH FIVE to your coworker!!!!!! :thumbs:

ScandaLeX

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 6, 2013
PhiLLy

I couldn't agree with you more. Treating vaping like smoking makes my @$$ itch!!!

OlderNDirt

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Nov 8, 2014
Nebraska
I really didn't want this to turn into yet another where is it OK to vape or how to stealth vape thread.....I think we have those well covered. Not to mention those may be the least of our worries. I told my story as a very minute example of regulation currently in place to hopefully emphasize that what the Feds do starting August 8 and dealing with that is not our only concern.....and may even turn out to be less intrusive and costly then what some of our state governments may do. Well, then again, probably not. But you get my point. In "this vaping war", we are surrounded and I am not sure hiding/sneaking my vaping or stocking up supplies will do much, if anything to fight the battle. And the August 8 date is relatively meaningless in the scheme of things.

Ibitz

ECF Veteran
Apr 14, 2015
Johnson City, TN, USA

I am also up there in age with you. I have lived through all of the "cigarette shunning"!! When I was finally done with cigarettes by vaping I thought it would be better, that people would see that vaping is a good thing....but I guess I was wrong. I agree with you OlderNDirt....it will go the same way with e-cigs as it did with regular cigarettes. Start of banning them indoors, put as many taxes on them as they can and then eventually you will feel shamed because friends and relatives will look at you like...so you're still vaping?

Eskie

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 6, 2016
NY
I really didn't want this to turn into yet another where is it OK to vape or how to stealth vape thread.....I think we have those well covered. Not to mention those may be the least of our worries. I told my story as a very minute example of regulation currently in place to hopefully emphasize that what the Feds do starting August 8 and dealing with that is not our only concern.....and may even turn out to be less intrusive and costly then what some of our state governments may do. Well, then again, probably not. But you get my point. In "this vaping war", we are surrounded and I am not sure hiding/sneaking my vaping or stocking up supplies will do much, if anything to fight the battle. And the August 8 date is relatively meaningless in the scheme of things.

Agree with you there, especially about state governments being more intrusive than federal. There is nothing magic about 8/8, folks have been lining up over this for quite some time already. The sad part is everyone is in agreement about the dangers of cigarettes, yet here we are having the one solution which has been so successful at stopping cigarette use being assaulted from all sides.

OlderNDirt

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Nov 8, 2014
Nebraska
I am also up there in age with you. I have lived through all of the "cigarette shunning"!! When I was finally done with cigarettes by vaping I thought it would be better, that people would see that vaping is a good thing....but I guess I was wrong. I agree with you OlderNDirt....it will go the same way with e-cigs as it did with regular cigarettes. Start of banning them indoors, put as many taxes on them as they can and then eventually you will feel shamed because friends and relatives will look at you like...so you're still vaping?

I never understood why society in general allowed government to step in and prohibit establishments from making their own choice on smoking. Allowed, not allowed, or smoking in designated areas only. Post it on the entrance and if you don't like it, go somewhere else. That seemed to be working quite nicely for quite a while. But people were just too greedy to recognize the power they were bestowing on government. Now government has, and likes that power. Now vaping (I still refuse to use the e- word) is directly tied to smoking. Why in the world should we think the government, on their own accord, would relinquish or even relax that power?

That box is opened and what was inside has grown too big to be put back in the box, and bound with chains, locked with locks, and labeled kindly do not touch (credit given to John Denver for those last few words).

Saippenu

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 18, 2016
U.S. Northeast
I never understood why society in general allowed government to step in and prohibit establishments from making their own choice on smoking. Allowed, not allowed, or smoking in designated areas only. Post it on the entrance and if you don't like it, go somewhere else. That seemed to be working quite nicely for quite a while. But people were just too greedy to recognize the power they were bestowing on government. Now government has, and likes that power. Now vaping (I still refuse to use the e- word) is directly tied to smoking. Why in the world should we think the government, on their own accord, would relinquish or even relax that power?

That box is opened and what was inside has grown too big to be put back in the box, and bound with chains, locked with locks, and labeled kindly do not touch (credit given to John Denver for those last few words).

Well I know that in my state people who worked in restaurants and bars were complaining/suing over being exposed to excessive amounts of second hand smoke and trapped because they needed their jobs. From there it went like dominos and spread everywhere. At least that's how I remember it.

Frenchfry1942

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 12, 2014
Originally, I just wanted to get away from cigarettes, their effects on myself and those close to me, and the social ramifications. I have worked to lower my nic and simple compulsion. I want to get to the point that I don't even let that complusion tell me me I need a vape.

But, I am diabetic, and so, my ability to "taste" a good flavor is something that I appreciate. Right this moment, it is DIY Chocolate Cookie. Lovin' It!

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread