It's official: I'm disappointed with the Atlantis

Status
Not open for further replies.

Akasticker

ECF Veteran
Nov 6, 2013
Philadelphia
No matter what they change, it will still be a clearo ............ nuf said

Um, yea the atlantis and nautilus are technically clearos but what does that have to do with the wicking material? I currently like both of the tanks and the flavor and vape is amazing, but if it turns out the wicking material they use is bad and switch to cotton and it works the same ill be happy.

hairball

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 17, 2010
Other Places
Do you think they will actually admit that the BVC's current wicking material is actually bad or just switch to cotton and call it a day? When should consumers expect to see cotton bvc?

They won't admit to it. That's why they are sending out bogus PDF files to people who are calling their bluff. As for the cotton coils, they're in production now but I don't foresee them releasing them for sale until all the crap ones get sold.

OlderNDirt

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Nov 8, 2014
Nebraska
It is great that so many have the ability to build their own coils in order to attain that "perfect vape" or at least progress towards it.

Some of us don't have and never will have that ability and opportunity. So thank you Aspire and Kangertech for providing us a vastly improved option in our aspiration of finding our "perfect vape".

K-Woodz

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 4, 2013
Huntington Beach CA
If you think I haven't questioned Eigate, think twice. I'm far from new to vaping and I question everything. Eigate is giving everyone the run-a-round on these coils. Their PDF is a joke...it's for exposure and NOT for inhalation. But then again, it never bothered them to send lead based painted toys to the USA. Until they can give me a clear answer, I won't use their stock heads...only the ones I rebuild.

We need pics of the rebuild process. There is no way in hell I'm using these things with fiberglass.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I grabbed an Atlantis when they came out. My normal vape is a Kayfun Lite+ (I have two) running between 17w and 21w depending on the juice. I tried the Atlantis all over between 20w and 40w and I got huge clouds but very very muted flavor. Nothing I did made it better. Then I broke down a head and replaced the filler with Japanese cotton and again vapor amount was large but flavor was muted. Getting the flavor on a Kayfun is very dependent on correct wicking and when it is right it owns. I sold the Atlantis and it made me a little sad as I had big hopes for it. (Really so after seeing the reviews of it)

Strange, I preordered it and got it when it came out... still loving it. I agree with the somewhat muted flavor but it actually works out great when using some stronger flavors like cinnamon, whiskey, and coffee. I compare it to adding a tablespoon of water to a glass of neat whiskey, some otherwise subtle flavors are brought out with it. Five Pawns Reserve for instance was too strong for me on my kayfun but is very pleasurable on my Atlantis at 35 watts.

Trailz

ECF Veteran
Sep 4, 2014
NE OH US
My first coil was great, second coil would burn over 25W, current coil is great between 30-35W. There's a good Imgur post outlining the rebuild process. Some folks remove the coil/wicking material carefully, clean the coil and wick with Japanese cotton. Others make new Kanthal coils using 22AWG wire with a 9/10 wrap. Read a good method yesterday on removing the shim that keeps the cotton liner in place so that it can easily be replaced. I'm going to rebuild some of my coils and if it's a big PITA or takes too long I'll just buy them and make 'EM last as long as I can.

KC33

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 24, 2013
Ft. Lauderdale, FL USA
I've been impressed with the flavor from the Atlantis but I too am concerned about the wicking material that's being used. I just got the Kanger Subtank today and all and all it's a better product. The flavor is notably better, the vapor is warmer and the coils are built with cotton. I was surprised that the size didn't bother me too much but I'll just use it on a IPV which it looks fine on.

I've been exclusively vaping RDA's for the past year or so and bought these more out of curiosity in hopes that they would be good enough to take out so I wouldn't need to drip. The Kanger Subtank fits the bill. I'll put the Atlantis away until they come out with better coils.

21score

Nov 18, 2014
Pennsylvania
I just picked up an Atlantis and I find it to work just fine for what it is. I get big clouds and decent flavor from my current juice with it at 40 watts on my God box. Tried lower and higher wattages but always come back to 40. Mine also has no air leaks whatsoever, if I turn it to the smallest hole it is hard to hit through. I run mine wide open. A dripper it isn't, but it is the best tank I have tried so far. Great for driving.

mwa102464

Resting In Peace
ECF Veteran
Oct 14, 2009
Outside of the Philadelphia Burbs, NJ & Fla

I find that the initial prime is very important here !

This is an excellent tutorial James did Hairball,,,, there is one small part that I found a bit different in how I prime my new rebuild or even a stock coil though,,, I actually found that taking that coil and really priming it well so all the cotton ( and other silica blankets inside on a new stock coil ) must be primed more than James primed his,,, I make sure all the material is absolutely WET especially that center part where the coil is but ALL of that material is primed and wet ! We know even cotton will burn but wetting Everything First & A GOOD PRIME helps a great deal, If you don't do this your singing that center material no matter what it is !

I've watched people just fill there Atlantis tanks, twist the bottom base on and vape,,, then they wonder why there getting a burnt or off flavor or taste,, Stand that coil up on the table and PRIME IT VERY WELL,,,, FEW DROPS AT A TIME,,,, roll it around, few more drops, stand it up on the table and drip more , until a few drops start leaking out of the bottom openings, that coil actuallyit holds more juice than people realize. Now your ready to screw that coil in place in the base, fill tank, screw on the base,,, even let it sit for a couple min,,, Anyways this is what I've found to help a good deal, and people don't do it,,,, didn't see this mentioned anywhere in this thread, so thought I would add my 2c :)

MWA

LA-Vapite

ECF Veteran
Dec 13, 2013
Los Angeles
I agree...

I have many RTA/RDTA, and while I will probably try my hand at rebuilding one of the coils, I bought this for the simplicity of replace/fill and enjoy.
Bought the Coil 5 pack for 15.00 shipped.
First coil lasted 9 days, second coil I fried after 3 days at 50 watts, 3rd coil (that came with the 5 pack) is going strong on day 5.
I find thinner juice works at 35-40w but heavy PG works best for me at 30 on my SX Mini. I prefer fully open draw, and while it is no where as "dense" as my .3 ohm drippers, it really is quite enjoyable. Oh Face by Beantown tastes just as good as on my drippers.

No leaks at all !
https://scontent-a-dfw.xx.fbcdn.net...=092594e74f3085d4ede8c72359e00823&oe=553E8915

This is not meant for a Mech, and should be used on a protected VW mod for best results.

I now go back to dripping some Neckbeards Nectar, my new favorite at home Juice!

Last edited:

The Cloud Minder

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jul 28, 2014
Pittsburgh, PA, USA
I find that the initial prime is very important here !

This is an excellent tutorial James did Hairball,,,, there is one small part that I found a bit different in how I prime my new rebuild or even a stock coil though,,, I actually found that taking that coil and really priming it well so all the cotton ( and other silica blankets inside on a new stock coil ) must be primed more than James primed his,,, I make sure all the material is absolutely WET especially that center part where the coil is but ALL of that material is primed and wet ! We know even cotton will burn but wetting Everything First & A GOOD PRIME helps a great deal, If you don't do this your singing that center material no matter what it is !

I've watched people just fill there Atlantis tanks, twist the bottom base on and vape,,, then they wonder why there getting a burnt or off flavor or taste,, Stand that coil up on the table and PRIME IT VERY WELL,,,, FEW DROPS AT A TIME,,,, roll it around, few more drops, stand it up on the table and drip more , until a few drops start leaking out of the bottom openings, that coil actuallyit holds more juice than people realize. Now your ready to screw that coil in place in the base, fill tank, screw on the base,,, even let it sit for a couple min,,, Anyways this is what I've found to help a good deal, and people don't do it,,,, didn't see this mentioned anywhere in this thread, so thought I would add my 2c :)

MWA

Too much unnecessary work.

Fill it, cover air hole, don't fire, take some draws. Let sit 5 minutes, repeat, wait 5 more minutes, BOOM, good to go.

Trailz

ECF Veteran
Sep 4, 2014
NE OH US
Too much unnecessary work.

Fill it, cover air hole, don't fire, take some draws. Let sit 5 minutes, repeat, wait 5 more minutes, BOOM, good to go.
I just fill, let sit 5 min, 10 slow, easy dry pulls, let sit for 5 more min and vape. Haven't had a burnt hit. I don't cover the air holes during my priming hits but can see the advantage.

K-Woodz

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 4, 2013
Huntington Beach CA
Quick update:

I got my ipv3 finally from Steve over at Vix Vapes in San Clemente, CA. (Thank you, sir)

I have to take most of what i said back. Even 35w is a total difference. At 40-45 watts, it vapes about 95% of anything i can build, and i do a good amount of sub-ohm, pissing contest style building. Im still bummed about the ceramic/fiberglass wicking material. I pulled apart a coil last night and the first thing i noticed was a metal mesh screen above all of the wicking material. It was seated evenly and looked like it would prob stop a good amount of unwanted material from being inhaled. That being said, i wont be buying any coils until the cotton ones come in.

So if anyone is doubting, it really doesn't get to that dripper performance until 40w of power. My Hanna fully cranked at 30w just wasnt cutting it.

hairball

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 17, 2010
Other Places
I watched a comparison video today and like some folks have said on here was that I was vaping it too low. I cranked it up to 35w and the flavor is way better. I'm still going to stay away from these coils and wait for the cotton ones but my opinion of the Atlantis has changed for the better.

IMO, that's the smart thing to do. I quit smoking to try my best to avoid lung cancer even with the unknows of vaping. I don't need something vaping related causing it if I know for a fact it can (do some research on figerglass and inhalation). I have 30 coils all being rebuilt with Japanese cotton...I like the flavor better anyways.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread