Status
Not open for further replies.

Rickajho

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 23, 2011
Boston MA
It's against the law to vape in any public building here, and it will be there too ............... as soon as people get tired of folks with the attitude that they can vape anywhere they want.

Not going to get into another circular argument that the solution to not being able to vape were "they" want is to vape nowhere at all. The only people who win that one are the people opposed to any vaping, any place, any time.

Not seeing OK as the culprit. Isn't that a private service? Also it says Please Refrain - Sounds like a Request from an Administrator, Not a Policy enactment.

Likely another - We don't know, so must be Bad - train of thought.

More likely "someone complained, they don't know, but we don't have to balls to stand up to illogical complaints, so rather than do any real thinking about matters we just caved in."

I'm gonna start a campaign against the color pink and see if I can get wearing anything pink banned in public buildings. I don't need a logical reason, apparently I just have to complain.

Amraann

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jul 24, 2011
Florida
I do not understand the point of vaping in a location that has asked people to not do so?

Personally I do not think that my vaping is in any way harmful to others.
(With the rare exception of those allergic) I find over powering perfume offensive and that is actually harmful to others. It can cause a headache or an allergy.

DC2

Tootie Puffer
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 21, 2009
San Diego
Funny how you join a forum of enthusiasts and you start to feel that something is mainstream, only to realize that it really isn't.
There was a time on this forum, many years back, that we would try to organize boycotts against businesses that forbade vaping.
Starbucks and Marriott Hotels comes immediately to mind.

Now it seems another faction has basically taken over, willing to let us be dictated to and just accept it.

And no, I DO NOT MEAN people should be allowed to blow huge clouds in someone's face.
And yes, I had to add that caveat, because that is what the aforementioned faction often automatically assumes.

Having said that DO NOT BLOW HUGE CLOUDS in people's faces anywhere.
And by anywhere I mean anywhere.

In fact, don't blow clouds of any size in anyone's faces.
Because if you do, you're a ..........

But if you're not being a ........., you should be allowed to vape with respect.
And yes, owners of any establishment should be allowed to determine exactly what is meant by respect.

But for the love of God people... this IS NOT rocket science.

What we do is safe for any and all bystanders.
But if you're being a ......... about it, then you're simply a ..........

And douchebags are always, and will always remain, douchebags.
And I HATE douchebags.

JeansV

Apr 26, 2014
IL
Question for me is, is it enforcable. I don't think people even notice if you use the right device the right way.

I saw this middle-aged lady in a restaurant with a mini-device. Most people proably wouldn't notice it or recognize it. I never saw her take a drag, but I assume she did. It is so different from smoking. Some e-cigs look like large pens (V4L Smilomizers e.g), - how are you enforcing a ban if people are that descreet about it. And for what purpose.

crxess

Grumpy Ole Man
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 20, 2012
Williamsport Md
Well, at least I found the flame button relatively early in my membership here. Milestones, right?

Not seeing much in the way of real flaming. Just people responding with their opinions of a post You started. Personally, I'd vape right outside the door and see who had what to say.:)

Quote Originally Posted by Tangaroav View Post
Welcome to ECF, you got to learn to be politicaly correct or the holier-than-thou herd will strike hard, fast, repeatedly, without mercy and with glee around here !
..............................................................................................................
Well, I warned you .....:headbang::spam::spam:

Even our resident Anarchist had to Quote himself :laugh:

I can still vape in that building , the sign says "smoking e-cigs" and I'm not lighting it up on fire
:D:vapor:

Yea, it would be tough to keep the Kayfun Lit. :lol:

I also agree with the statement - Their Place, Their Rules............MY MONEY:evil:

HowlinMadMurphy

Jul 20, 2014
Detroit, MI
Question for me is, is it enforcable. I don't think people even notice if you use the right device the right way.

I saw this middle-aged lady in a restaurant with a mini-device. Most people proably wouldn't notice it or recognize it. I never saw her take a drag, but I assume she did. It is so different from smoking. Some e-cigs look like large pens (V4L Smilomizers e.g), - how are you enforcing a ban if people are that descreet about it. And for what purpose.

The same thing can really be said about analogs, how do you stop a guy from sneaking off into the bathroom and taking a few puffs? You can't really, you just stop it when you see it and you hope people respect the rules. I work with a guy that vapes at his desk, just takes small drags off a high nic liquid and holds it in for a few seconds and nobody has even said anything...I didn't even know he was a vaper until he saw mine and told me about it.

Myself, if I wouldn't smoke an analog somewhere I won't vape there either.

McFeely

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 5, 2013
Washington, PA
It will continue to spread as long as people continue to vape indoors without looking into whether it is allowed or not. Yes everyone here knows it isn't smoke and it isn't harmful but that's just it, we know because we have looked into it. Just be respectful and check before you vape indoors, I have customers that walk in and vape like they own the place, and this attitude is why it will be banned indoors, the "OMG he's smoking" people will always outweigh the "oh he's just vaping" people.

TLDR: Have some respect or you'll ruin it for all of us.

rzil

May 6, 2014
Israel
I do agree with what all of you have said "their place ,their rules" .

what bothers me is that governments think they have the right to tell people what they can do with their own establishments and Yes I'm also talking about Tobacco bans (here you are not even allowed to smoke on the outdoor part of a Bar) , if some1 wants to allow something legal to use in his Bar it's his right and his freedom to do whatever he wants with his place as long as it doesn't involve ilegal activities

Last edited:

Scaralouche

ECF Veteran
Jul 11, 2009
Issaquah, WA
I really wish we were all mature enough to consider the perceptions we create when using these things in public. People still don't know what these devices are, and for all they know, they might think we are publicly getting high off some new drug. Especially when it comes to the devices that get really far away from the cigarette appearance.

We must all realize that we are ambassadors of this vaping culture, and should act accordingly. Act like a snot in public, and they will think we are in need of bans, because we are out of control.

jonas702

Jul 28, 2014
Webster, TX, USA
I too have seen the new "NO SMOKING OR VAPING" signs start popping up. Even outside of establishments that have patio waiting areas.

I agree that people should quit being so affraid of vaping since it is nowhere near the same thing as smoking. That said, I also believe that perception is everything to some and abusing establishment requests gives us much worse publicity than organized cloud chasing competitions that I see members here criticize often. The common disregard for other people and their preferences is what made views on analog smoking turn into what they have currently become and I personally would prefer that vaping not follow that same path just because of a few people "bending" rules or requests.

I work offshore on a rig and as of a new recent policy I am forced to vape in the smoking room because too many coworkers "fought the man" by vaping in work areas after being asked nicely to go else where or at least not vape while performing tasks. Now I have to sit in a 8' by 10' room engulfed in cigarette smoke 24/7 because somebody thought that those requests were misguided and they wanted to rebel.

I could have swore that I quit smoking to lead a healthier lifestyle(6 year old daughters can be convincing on this topic lol) and not smell like smoke any more. Now I'm getting large amounts of secondhand anyway and still smell like an ash tray. I might as well be smoking again thanks to the rebels.

v1k1ng1001

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 17, 2012
Edinburg, TX
I was in my local Starbucks on Saturday. It's right next to a university and there were several college kids Vaping away inside. So I did too, but I asked one of the baristas if Sbucks has a policy on Vaping in the store and he told me it's not permitted, they just look the other way when customers do it.

As soon as he said it's not permitted, I went outside to vape as I've always done. I will always respect the policy of any business whether I'm happy with the policy or not.

Starbucks policy is that it's also not permitted to vape outside. Hence I avoid it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread