Not open for further replies.

Bronze

ECF Guru
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 19, 2012
and they don't 'lift' on the edges ?
I've never had good luck covering other stuff.
I've had mine on well over a year and it's still on including the edges. Surprised me to be honest. Just clean your JAC real good before you adhere it.

CMD-Ky

Highly Esteemed Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 15, 2013
KY

I wiped mine down with alcohol ( on purpose, I did not drop it in an adult beverage) before applying and then used a hair dryer while pressing and smoothing out the edges. I think vapor skinz is a better product both in the wrap material and the adhesive than some others.

classwife

Admin
Admin
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 9, 2010
Wesley Chapel, Florida
I've had mine on well over a year and it's still on including the edges. Surprised me to be honest. Just clean your JAC real good before you adhere it.

I wiped mine down with alcohol ( on purpose, I did not drop it in an adult beverage) before applying and then used a hair dryer while pressing and smoothing out the edges. I think vapor skinz is a better product both in the wrap material and the adhesive than some others.

I'll have to look then.
Thank you !

DPLongo22

aka "The Sesquipedalian"
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 17, 2011
Midworld

I had one just start lifting SLIGHTLY, after almost two years of HEAVY use (including being thrown in and out of every type of pocket on a daily basis). It probably could have lasted another year but I think I was looking for a reason (ANY reason) to swap it up.

As all stated before me, there is a difference (them vs. others). They've spoiled me.

DPLongo22

aka "The Sesquipedalian"
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 17, 2011
Midworld
I'm glad I have a Sandstorm, so I'll never have to worry about this. I have a feeling my compulsive tendencies (which have gotten worse with age) would make applying a skin the stuff of nightmares for me.

I put one on my Sandstorm, but I'm nuts (breaking news). :w00t:

Bronze

ECF Guru
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 19, 2012
I'm glad I have a Sandstorm, so I'll never have to worry about this. I have a feeling my compulsive tendencies (which have gotten worse with age) would make applying a skin the stuff of nightmares for me.
I put a skin on my JAC and there wasn't a single thing wrong with the finish. I just liked the skin. Never cared for any other skins but these are good ones.

Katdarling

I'm still here on ECF... sort of. ;)
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 25, 2011
Utopia
I don't think we've stopped singing their praises for a long time now. I ABSTOLUTELY prefer the VS skinz to others out there on the scene. (kwality-wise)

Having said that, I THOUGHT that perhaps one was lifting around the 510, but wouldn'tcha know it - it was user error (blush). I had toppered it with a KF and one of the little bottom screws had loosened, and it cut right into the wrap when I tried to take the tank off. No biggie, really. I trimmed the yucky section, and it's always covered by a tank anyway.

Baditude

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Apr 8, 2012
Ridgeway, Ohio
My JAC is looking kind of shabby. Paint is getting all chipped off :cry:
Vaporskinz It was so easy even I could do it.
I had one just start lifting SLIGHTLY, after almost two years of HEAVY use (including being thrown in and out of every type of pocket on a daily basis). It probably could have lasted another year but I think I was looking for a reason (ANY reason) to swap it up.

As all stated before me, there is a difference (them vs. others). They've spoiled me.
I put a skin on my JAC and there wasn't a single thing wrong with the finish. I just liked the skin. Never cared for any other skins but these are good ones.
I've had a Vapor Skinz on my original black JAC since they were mentioned here in this thread. I'd only had the JAC for a few weeks and the black paint was wearing off revealing the silver bare metal underneath. I chose the faux pebble grain black leather skin, and glad I did. I really love the pebble grain as it provides a textured surface. The wrap has held up extremely well considering.

My sandstorm JAC is beginning to show some light wear after several months of use. But I'm tough on my daily mods because they are pocket mods. They often share a pocket with my car keys, so my fault. I've been considering putting a Vapor Skinz on it, I just haven't decided which one yet. I'm thinking of going with a pebble grain leather again or the textured carbon fiber since I like the textured feel.

DSC_0067-2_480x480.jpg

Carbon_Fiber_lost_vape_mirage_dna_75C_Vapor_Skinz_Wrap_Decals_1024x1024.jpg

Last edited:

Baditude

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Apr 8, 2012
Ridgeway, Ohio
How does the wear manifest itself, @Baditude? I don't think it will be much of a problem for me, since the mod only gets popped into a loose pocket, and that only rarely, but I'm curious.
Sort of like fine chicken claw scratches on the bare metal. It's worse on the battery door, probably because its a different kind of metal and meant to patina over time.

It's no different than any other metal surface that comes into frequent contact with other metal objects.

Like I said, I'm hard on my mods and you may never need to protect yours with a skin. But I do love the textured surface of the faux leather. Feels like the sure-handed surface of a leather basketball for a great grip (only black).

macro-detail-football-basketball-leather-skin-view-36367104.jpg

Last edited:

Zazie

ECF Guru? No!
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Nov 2, 2018
Maine, USA
Sort of like light chicken claw scratches on the bare metal. It's worse on the battery door, probably because its a different kind of metal and meant to patina over time.

Like I said, I'm hard on my mods and you may never need to protect yours with a skin. But I do love the textured surface of the faux leather. Feels like the sure-handed surface of a leather basketball.

macro-detail-football-basketball-leather-skin-view-36367104.jpg

I can see the appeal of a leathery feel (I like the leather on the Aegis, for example), but I love the look of the Sandstorm and its soothing cool in the hand. If the mod were bigger, I might want something less slippery, but, as it is, I'm glad I probably will never need to beskin it.

Hawise

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Mar 25, 2013
AB, Canada
How does the wear manifest itself, @Baditude? I don't think it will be much of a problem for me, since the mod only gets popped into a loose pocket, and that only rarely, but I'm curious.

My sandstorm was definitely looking worn after 6 months or so of heavy use. In my case, the places where I usually held it became smoother and shinier than the rest of the finish.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread