Jacksonville,Texas bans includes ecigs in smoking ban

Status
Not open for further replies.

Luisa

ECF Veteran
Apr 8, 2010
harlingen,texas
Jacksonville,Texas passed a smoking ban on February 22 which includes ecigs. They define smoking--Smoking means inhaling,exhaling,burning or carrying any lighted cigar,cigarette,pipe,weed,plant or ecigarettes in any manner or form. I am sorry--I tried but I needed help especially from people in that area or other members of ECF.

ByStander1

ECF Veteran
Feb 3, 2011
West Virginia
Jacksonville,Texas passed a smoking ban on February 22 which includes ecigs. They define smoking--Smoking means inhaling,exhaling,burning or carrying any lighted cigar,cigarette,pipe,weed,plant or ecigarettes in any manner or form. I am sorry--I tried but I needed help especially from people in that area or other members of ECF.

I'm so sorry, Luisa. I didn't know about this one. Are you keeping an eye on things in the area (like all of Texas lol)? If so, please let me know when something comes up. I know a lot of people in the D/FW area and East Texas (Tyler area) in particular. Everyone here is always amazingly helpful -- but you know that, I'm sure.

Regardless, don't feel defeated. You're not!!! Hopefully you're even more inspired!

"All wins does not a warrior make." -- ByStander1

DC2

Tootie Puffer
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 21, 2009
San Diego
Yeah, I hadn't heard about this one either.
:(

Well, at least this gives you the opportunity to be one of the very first civil disobedience protesters arrested.
:lol:

But seriously, someday we may all have to be prepared to be arrested in order to make ourselves heard.
I still say it's better to make our voices heard now before it comes to that.
:)

Last edited:

GIMike

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
May 15, 2009
Around OKC, OK

Hey, here's your loop hole. Don't light your e-cig and you're good ;) If anybody says anything, you can just say "Don't worry, it's not lit so it's not producing any harmful tobacco smoke"

Last edited:

n9emz

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 8, 2012
Florida Space Coast
home.bluemarble.net
I'm not surprised. You have the uneducated non-smokers, fanatical ex-smokers, and the smokers who can't smoke all squaring off against us....and throw in jealousy from the last two factions. In Aspen, you could whip the willy out and it's acceptable as long as no one complained, but I never did it even though I could have. I foresee the e-cig ban scenario getting worse and possibly universally enforced in certain environs and coming taxation at all levels as well.

The wife and I became accustomed to not smoking in non-smoking establishments for so long it ceased to be an issue with us, so it's no bother for us to refrain from vaping. I know of a hundred or more places we could get ejected from or have the law called on us if we whipped out our PVs and began vaping away. When it deteriorates to the face to face cop level, I know who the winner will be....past experience.

Sorry, I'll wage war with anyone who brings the fight to me but I don't arbitrarily unsheath my sword otherwise. However, I am on your side, extend my sincerest encouragement, and wish you outrageous good fortune in your endeavors. On the other hand, I feel no guilt or shame in telling you I'd enjoy witnessing the confrontations.

DC2

Tootie Puffer
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 21, 2009
San Diego
I foresee the e-cig ban scenario getting worse and possibly universally enforced in certain environs and coming taxation at all levels as well.
The thing is, as long as we all get involved and fight these attempts being made across the country, we generally win.
I would have to say that our success rate is at least 80% at this point.

And the more of us that get involved, the higher our success rate should be.
And if enough of us get involved, we might even win the war some day.

But one thing is certain, if we don't get involved and fight, they WILL walk all over us.

Luisa

ECF Veteran
Apr 8, 2010
harlingen,texas
Yeah, I hadn't heard about this one either.
:(

Well, at least this gives you the opportunity to be one of the very first civil disobedience protesters arrested.
:lol:

But seriously, someday we may all have to be prepared to be arrested in order to make ourselves heard.
I still say it's better to make our voices heard now before it comes to that.
:)
I do not live in Jacksonville. I live 500 miles away in the Rio Grand Valley. The Jacksonville problem was posted on ECF. I asked for help from those in the Tyler,Jacksonville area and received no reply. I simply called the Mayor of Jacksonville and asked if I could send him information. I then sent the information he requested plus other information from the CASAA legislature. Not living in that area and not being a voter in that area,he was not going to be swayed by anything I said unless it was backed up by a local voter. For those who live in that area,they might be able to change the inclusion of ecigs before the bill goes into effect. It certainly would not hurt. The greater problem is that once a ban starts in even a very small town,it will easily go to larger cities. Wake up Texas!

Luisa

ECF Veteran
Apr 8, 2010
harlingen,texas
I do not live in Jacksonville. I live 500 miles away in the Rio Grand Valley. The Jacksonville problem was posted on ECF. I asked for help from those in the Tyler,Jacksonville area and received no reply. I simply called the Mayor of Jacksonville and asked if I could send him information. I then sent the information he requested plus other information from the CASAA legislature. Not living in that area and not being a voter in that area,he was not going to be swayed by anything I said unless it was backed up by a local voter. For those who live in that area,they might be able to change the inclusion of ecigs before the bill goes into effect. It certainly would not hurt. The greater problem is that once a ban starts in even a very small town,it will easily go to larger cities. Wake up Texas!
Sorry,I intended to say Legislative Packet!

Luisa

ECF Veteran
Apr 8, 2010
harlingen,texas
I'm so sorry, Luisa. I didn't know about this one. Are you keeping an eye on things in the area (like all of Texas lol)? If so, please let me know when something comes up. I know a lot of people in the D/FW area and East Texas (Tyler area) in particular. Everyone here is always amazingly helpful -- but you know that, I'm sure.

Regardless, don't feel defeated. You're not!!! Hopefully you're even more inspired!

"All wins does not a warrior make." -- ByStander1
That was a nice thing to say. Defeated-no,but saddened. Saddened that those that will be affected most by the ban did nothing. One women 500 miles away cannot be as effective as one person living in the affected area. It could have made a difference.

Luisa

ECF Veteran
Apr 8, 2010
harlingen,texas
That was a nice thing to say. Defeated-no,but saddened. Saddened that those that will be affected most by the ban did nothing. One women 500 miles away cannot be as effective as one person living in the affected area. It could have made a difference.
Bystander,you might contact the people you know in the Tyler and Jacksonville area. The ban does not go into effect for about 20 days. They might be able to convince the Mayor and councilmen to delete the reference to ecigs in the ban. I would be happy to visit with anyone willing to do this and share the information I sent to the Mayor.

EJH

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 1, 2011
New York, USA

I have been to countless city council, town board and school board meeting where literally no one from the public has come to listen. From experience, people will only react when something is being discussed that directly affects them. One of the largest turnouts for a meeting that I've attended was at a town zoning board meeting in an affluent Long Island town that was considering putting up a discreet cell phone tower to improve emergency communication. The NIMBY crowd turned out in droves and were certainly up in arms about that.

Every elected official will at least sit up and take notice from an increased volume of mail about a subject, even from non-constituents (though may not give "outside" correspondence equal weight).

At the very least, you have possibly shown the mayor a side of the story of which he was not aware. Kudos to you and everyone making an effort.

Thank you.

Last edited:

DC2

Tootie Puffer
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 21, 2009
San Diego
From experience, people will only react when something is being discussed that directly affects them.
I just wish every vaper would realize that every potential restriction, or any potential tax, in any city, state, or country anywhere in the world has the very real potential of eventually affecting them directly wherever they may be. And even more so, I wish that every vaper would understand that they are NOT helpless pawns, and that their involvement can and DOES affect these outcomes.

Sadly, we are not standing up tall enough yet, nor in the numbers we should be.

If only people knew what there is to know, they would realize the severity of the threat and the potential ramifications. Getting the public to understand these issues is enough of a challenge, but getting us as vapers to understand all of this needs to come first. And if that isn't happening, it is hard to imagine that the public will be jumping onboard anytime soon.

Vocalek

CASAA Activist
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Well, DC2, after that speech, this seems like a perfect time for a quotation:

The time to guard against corruption and tyranny is before they shall have gotten hold on us. It is better to keep the wolf out of the fold, than to trust to drawing his teeth and talons after he shall have entered. --Thomas Jefferson 1784

kristin

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Aug 16, 2009
CASAA - Wisconsin
casaa.org
I'm becoming increasingly convinced that the first calls/emails should go to the local media and THEN contacting the public officials. The media tends to leave out the e-cigarette part of these bans and local vapers have no idea what is going to hit them until after the fact. Vapers need to watch any and all proposed tobacco legislation/ordinances in their area because they sneak e-cigarettes in even when it's not publicized in the media. And it DOES affect other areas in Texas, because once one falls, other communities point to that one as the example to follow. Legislators are quicker to pass something if the precedence has already been set.

Luisa

ECF Veteran
Apr 8, 2010
harlingen,texas
I'm becoming increasingly convinced that the first calls/emails should go to the local media and THEN contacting the public officials. The media tends to leave out the e-cigarette part of these bans and local vapers have no idea what is going to hit them until after the fact. Vapers need to watch any and all proposed tobacco legislation/ordinances in their area because they sneak e-cigarettes in even when it's not publicized in the media. And it DOES affect other areas in Texas, because once one falls, other communities point to that one as the example to follow. Legislators are quicker to pass something if the precedence has already been set.
That was certainly the point I was trying to make. Prior to banning indoor use of ecigs,the Jacksonville paper published that information. As I mentioned,I live 500 miles from Jacksonville. I tried to make those in that area aware through ECF of the impending problem. The word just did not get out.

ByStander1

ECF Veteran
Feb 3, 2011
West Virginia

Thanks, kristin!!!

I read this and thought, "Duh, of course she's right!"

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread