John Stossel - Let Them Vape

Status
Not open for further replies.

smoked25years

ECF Veteran
Mar 8, 2018
I tend to agree with much of what of what was said. But these people are no real authority on the subject. The person that he interviewed seems like a bright young lady but she has a bachelors in writing, not a medical degree. She is not an authority on medicine and has no formal training that would allow her to understand it.

"Ms. Minton holds a Bachelor of Arts in Writing from the Johns Hopkins University and is currently working toward an Master of Sciences in Applied Nutrition at the University of New England."

link to bio--> Michelle Minton

AXIOM_1

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
  • Jul 6, 2015
    Pennsylvania, USA
    "Ms. Minton holds a Bachelor of Arts in Writing from the Johns Hopkins University and is currently working toward an Master of Sciences in Applied Nutrition at the University of New England."

True, but she is more than likely an avid follower of the people who do the research and she more than likely has studied their findings in depth. She obviously knows what researchers have uncovered thus far without having to be a medical researcher herself. She didn't say anything that most at this forum do not already know from what has been gathered from researchers.

Baditude

ECF Guru
    ECF Veteran
    Apr 8, 2012
    Ridgeway, Ohio
    I tend to agree with much of what of what was said. But these people are no real authority on the subject. The person that he interviewed seems like a bright young lady but she has a bachelors in writing, not a medical degree. She is not an authority on medicine and has no formal training that would allow her to understand it.
    I respectfully disagree. Just because she doesn't have a medical degree or "formal training" does not mean she doesn't have an ability to understand what she researches. If one has the investigative skills and a passion for the truth, one can become an "authority" on a number of subjects. It doesn't take a medical doctor's diploma to determine what is real science and what is misinformation and fake news concerning the benefits of e-cigarettes.

Last edited:

Uncle Willie

Ultra Member
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    May 27, 2011
    Meet Me in St Louie Louie
    While I have always enjoyed Stossel, and I lean a bit toward the same Libertarian concepts he embraces, he is the same guy that called price gouging good as it related to Katrina and other natural disasters .. among other things ..

“Democrats want to micromanage your work life, your speech. Republicans want to micromanage other countries and your bedroom. Libertarians want them to .... out of both,” Stossel says

The essential idea of Libertarianism is People should be allowed to do anything that is peaceful .. while that may sound great in concept, reality is a bit different ..

smoked25years

ECF Veteran
    Mar 8, 2018
    True, but she is more than likely an avid follower of the people who do the research and she more than likely has studied their findings in depth. She obviously knows what researchers have uncovered thus far without having to be a medical researcher herself. She didn't say anything that most at this forum do not already know from what has been gathered from researchers.

I disagree. Just because she doesn't have a medical degree or formal training does not mean she doesn't have an ability to understand what she researches. If one has the investigative skills and a passion for the truth, one can become an authority on a number of subjects. It doesn't take a medical doctor to determine what is science and what is misinformation and fake news.

Do you really think reading some articles means she fully understands them and is an authority on the subject???

Baditude

ECF Guru
    ECF Veteran
    Apr 8, 2012
    Ridgeway, Ohio
    Do you really think reading some articles means she fully understands them and is an authority on the subject???
    It sounded like she knew what she was talking about to me. Much more so than our FDA director who speaks with a forked tongue and is responsible for the future of vaping in the US. Are they both reading the same articles and studies and coming to different conclusions?

While we're on this subject, what makes Gottleib an authority on the topic? Is he a doctor? He's merely a pawn who was selected by govenment bureaucrats to run an agency.

Last edited:

AXIOM_1

Vaping Master
    ECF Veteran
  • Jul 6, 2015
    Pennsylvania, USA
    It sounded like she knew what she was talking about to me. Much more so than our FDA director who speaks with a forked tongue and is responsible for the future of vaping. Are they both reading the same articles and studies and coming to different conclusions? While we're on this subject, what makes Gottleib an authority on the topic?

yeah she didn't say anything in contradiction to the current knowledge gained from here or anywhere else.... Knowledge and facts are just "facts" no matter where they are gleaned from... I would not go see her for a hernia operation though lol …. But, she certainly doesn't have to be a medical expert to understand what their findings have been up to this current time. I would probably not consider her the ultimate authority on the subject but I am willing to bet she probably has more knowledge about it than I do....

Gottleib :rolleyes: Let's not go there lol ….

smoked25years

ECF Veteran
    Mar 8, 2018
    It sounded like she knew what she was talking about to me. ...

I don't mean to offend you or anyone else. I'm going to bow out. But it would be unfortunate if we seek what we want to hear rather than well informed sources. She really should not have been the only person he interviewed.

Last edited:
    • Agree
    Reactions: Cooperant

90VG

ECF Veteran
    Jan 19, 2016
    5000' in Nevada
    While I have always enjoyed Stossel, and I lean a bit toward the same Libertarian concepts he embraces, he is the same guy that called price gouging good as it related to Katrina and other natural disasters .. among other things ..

“Democrats want to micromanage your work life, your speech. Republicans want to micromanage other countries and your bedroom. Libertarians want them to .... out of both,” Stossel says

The essential idea of Libertarianism is People should be allowed to do anything that is peaceful .. while that may sound great in concept, reality is a bit different ..

That was the one with the generators right? It costs money to haul stuff around, to store it, to keep it ready for a disaster. I can see whining about gas prices tripling or something, but a generator? No. Sell it for what you can.

AXIOM_1

Vaping Master
    ECF Veteran
  • Jul 6, 2015
    Pennsylvania, USA
    I don't mean to offend you or anyone else. I'm going to bow out. But it would be unfortunate if we seek what we want to hear rather than well informed sources. She really should not have been the only person he interviewed.

You certainly don't offend me and you have the right to your thoughts... That's what forums are for ;) ….. Maybe he should have interviewed more folks to make it seem more authoritive …. But the way I look at it is that at least she said TRUTHFUL statements about the current knowledge of vaping. Unlike the FDA who has ZERO facts to back up their lies. Big Tobacco and the FDA do not want vaping to succeed. Why would they? Like everything else connected to politics, they spread lies and half-truths.

Baditude

ECF Guru
    ECF Veteran
    Apr 8, 2012
    Ridgeway, Ohio
    You didn't offend me or anyone else. You have a right to your opinion, as do I. As @AXIOM_1 said, this is a forum where we can debate different ideas in a peaceful manner. Don't bow out on my account. :)

Ideally, I agree with you that the interview should have had more interviews, with perhaps different viewpoints to keep things "fair". However, it was a short report. Time restraints and all of that.

Status
    Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread