Joker AV?

Status
Not open for further replies.

midficollege

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 8, 2011
Texas
I've been looking at eventually picking up a VV tube mod, and the options within a fairly reasonable price range seem to be:
1. Joker AV
2. BuzzPro
3. Lavatube

Now- I haven't experimented too terribly much with cartomizers and tanks and atomizers (I'm coming off an eGo system), but I would like to. So... I don't have a favorite 1.2 ohm atomizer that needs 30 watts to fire or anything like that. A lot of people, I understand, have favorite extra-low resistance atomizers and carts from their days on eGo or fixed voltage 3.7 voltage mods which makes the restrictions on the lavatube annoying to say the least.

However- I don't have this restriction, most atomizers and cartomizers would be bought completely fresh.

So, here's the deal: There's lots of discussion about the Lavatube, and there's lots of discussion about the BuzzPro, but fairly little about the vaprlife stuff.

The buzzpro has an exposed dial for voltage, which worries me that I would end up turning it accidentally at an inopportune time. Also, the center reference mark seems to be at 4.5v, while I see a lot of people saying that 4.2V is the sweet spot.

So, TLDR: Tell me about the Joker AV, possibly in comparison to the other devices listed. Is there anything major I'm missing in comparison with, say, a Buzzpro that would make the latter so much more popular on ECF?

midficollege

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 8, 2011
Texas
Oh, another question that occured to me. I'm liking these Janty Puromizer things on my ego batteries which have a an extremely slightly recessed 510 connection. You might as well say that it's flush, but with a skirt around the connector of eGo diameter.

Would these fit on the Joker with its protruding 510 connection? What about the Buzzpro/Ipro with their respective indents in the top cap hiding a protruding 510 connection?

bobthesalesclerk

ECF Veteran
Sep 24, 2010
Pittsburgh
I would personally go with the buzz pro.

Joker AV
1. Needs a screwdriver to change voltage
2. I have heard some bad stories about the joker and customer service
3. No drip well

Lavatube
1. Great price but not as good quality wise
2. Button is great but not well placed
3. Amp limit if you use dual coils

Also to use puromizers on either you will need a 510 to 510 adapter. I would go with the buzz pro. The hit control is an awesome feature and it has awesome battery life. Watch pbusardos review on it. Also look into the infinity pro if you wanna save a few bucks.

sent from my Ice Cream Sandwiched Gtablet

midficollege

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 8, 2011
Texas
I would personally go with the buzz pro.

Joker AV
1. Needs a screwdriver to change voltage
That's actually one of the things that appealed to me. It strikes me that it could be, potentially, a big pain in the you-know-what to stare at the dial looking for registration marks every time you take it out of your pocket in fear that it might have rubbed up against something and you're going to fry your cartomizer in the middle of the day.[/quote]
2. I have heard some bad stories about the joker and customer service
Ah, that's good to know.
3. No drip well
I've seen a lot of discussion of drip wells in videos and whatnot, but I still don't entirely understand the purpose. If juice falls out, I'm going to need to make friends with a big roll of paper towels regardless of whether or not it has a drip well, right?

XMit

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 23, 2011
Midwest
I don't think there is any way possible that my Buzz Pro dial would move in my pocket. The pot dial is stiff enough to keep it from moving unless you do it.

As far as the 4.2v "sweet spot" thing, IME I just adjust the dial till it works the way I want. Start at the bottom and work up, I don't care what the voltage is.

Nomoreash

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 9, 2010
Chattanooga, TN
I know it seems, especially at first with owning a vv device that you need to know the voltage but in reality the voltage you prefer is irreverent. Once you've found your sweet spot and then look at a meter does knowing that sweet spot is 4.3v or whatever make it any better? Just start out low and adjust it to your preference, the carto or atty will let you know if you're pushing it to far.

I've had the Lavatube and it's to finicky imo with it's limiter being adjusted back internally. I found if I did'nt let the battery drain to low, use a higher ohm atty/carto 3ish ohm and keep it at 5ish v or under it's usually ok.

I also took a heavy look at the Joker when I first started researching vv. The initial thing that I didn't care for was the length, it's longer than the competition, the next thing was the screwdriver adjustment and the final thing was the feedback on CS and Repairs. One of very few companies I have researched that had more negative post than positive post.

I'd recommend the Buzz Pro or Infinity Pro if you like it better. They are simple mods with an adjust to taste wheel, durable and do what they are designed to do and customer service is top notch.

Last edited:

midficollege

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 8, 2011
Texas
The more I think about it, the more I think that the lavatube is probably the best answer for me (for now, I'd like to get a top-end mod at some point in the future but I'm currently on a limited income).

I don't have really any stash of 501 cartos/atties/tanks that I'm in love with.
I've got only a very limited stash of juice.
I don't have a charger or any 185.. batteries yet.

It's all about the wattage, right? So, if I stick with medium resistance single coil cartos from the getgo and tailor the voltage to what works best, it should work fine.

Also- that gives me $80 to spend on juice, which is nothing to be sneezed at.

bobthesalesclerk

ECF Veteran
Sep 24, 2010
Pittsburgh
The more I think about it, the more I think that the lavatube is probably the best answer for me (for now, I'd like to get a top-end mod at some point in the future but I'm currently on a limited income).

I don't have really any stash of 501 cartos/atties/tanks that I'm in love with.
I've got only a very limited stash of juice.
I don't have a charger or any 185.. batteries yet.

It's all about the wattage, right? So, if I stick with medium resistance single coil cartos from the getgo and tailor the voltage to what works best, it should work fine.

Also- that gives me $80 to spend on juice, which is nothing to be sneezed at.

I would highly highly highly reccomend looking into the infinity pro. The lava tube is an alright PV for what it is and the price but for an extra $30 or so you can get an infinity. You could even pick one up used with batteries on the classifieds pretty cheap.

Its not that i don't like the lavatube....it is a decently priced PV...but if you want quality you have to pay for quality.

bobthesalesclerk

ECF Veteran
Sep 24, 2010
Pittsburgh
That's actually one of the things that appealed to me. It strikes me that it could be, potentially, a big pain in the you-know-what to stare at the dial looking for registration marks every time you take it out of your pocket in fear that it might have rubbed up against something and you're going to fry your cartomizer in the middle of the day.

Ah, that's good to know.

I've seen a lot of discussion of drip wells in videos and whatnot, but I still don't entirely understand the purpose. If juice falls out, I'm going to need to make friends with a big roll of paper towels regardless of whether or not it has a drip well, right?[/QUOTE]

1. There is NO WAYYYY the hit control would change in your pocket. I will send anyone a dollar that can make the hit control change in their pocket without touching it lol

2. Yeah its a bummer because they are actually decent PVs. I own the passthrough from them and love the button. I have not personally experienced the CS but i have heard bad things. That could have changed. Also i would look into the diamante before ththe joker.

3. It saves messy hands and possibly getting juice into the internals of the PV. If juice is going to leak would you rather have it stopped in a ccatch cup or run all over your PV and possibly get into the wiring?

Once again if you get the lavatube you will not be disappointed. It is a good PV and works quite well. The notcigs line however is built to a much higher standard.

hificat101

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 18, 2011
PA
I've seen a lot of discussion of drip wells in videos and whatnot, but I still don't entirely understand the purpose. If juice falls out, I'm going to need to make friends with a big roll of paper towels regardless of whether or not it has a drip well, right?

I think you will find with a drip well, that the drip well will catch any excess juice, but also as you vape, and are drawing on an atty, that the juice in the drip well will somewhat draw back into the carto through the same holes it dripped out of. I may be totally off base with this, but I found it to be true on my Prodigy v3. But it has a really nice drip well.

midficollege

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 8, 2011
Texas
So PBusardo has a video review of this thing up now:
A PBusardo Review - The Joker AV from VaprLife - YouTube

Interesting mod, the button looks great and comfortable, fantastic battery life, and great current delivery.

One big downside seems to be that the knob to adjust the voltage is, if anything, *too* granular, based on the video. Takes a couple full turns of the screw to make what would probably be a noticeable voltage change. Without a voltage meter, it would take hours to dial it in to taste. Also, the fact that the screw can move significantly past min and max is a pretty annoying downside.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread