Just got my USB passthrough

Status
Not open for further replies.

VaporLung

Jun 3, 2010
P-Town VA
And all I can say is WOW! This is almost like dripping, only Im using a carto! I picked up one of the 5v (no battery) from madvapes (thank you for getting them in stock!) Pretty intense! And convenient not having to keep replacing batteries when I am chilling at home or work! :)

If you are looking for a little more 'umph' from your stock stuff, get a 5v passthough :D

VaporLung

Jun 3, 2010
P-Town VA
Okay, FFWD to a couple of days later. I still love this thing when I am at my computer - it definitely delivers, however, when I plug it into my USB car charger it wont work! It just flashes (as if it were dead or not getting enough power)
I plan to use my plug in adapter to see if THAT works. If its only computer based, I think Ill live :)

VaporLung

Jun 3, 2010
P-Town VA
Hmmmmm... Short of testing it, Im rather inclined to believe this passthrough is NOT a true 5v. In seeing that it functions perfectly on my laptop(s) but neither on my 5v (+/- 5%) car charger or plug in charger. My regular 510 battery charger seems to have no issue on either of these other devices. Not a huge deal (as I normally vape in front of my computer) its just a bit disappointing to not be able to vape in my car with my passthrough.

eHuman

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 18, 2010
San Diego
I would guess but could be wrong...

This is a true PT not one with a battery:

The chargers are trickle chargers at low mA so as not to blow up your battery. The car and wall chargers are not the same as car or wall adapters (one trickles and one gives the juice).

Make sense?

P.S. I would bet a nickel that it is 5v, well in a sense.... It will pass through it what you put in it. (Until it goes boom from too much voltage lol). It is designed to be plugged into a 5v source, thus the usb or car charger port adapter(s) are the only recomended source that you plug into. Go buy a car adapter for on the go and use your pc at home, bet you will still like it after a week or 2, or 3.

Last edited:

skri11a

ECF Veteran
Jun 25, 2010
Houston
To be more specific, the source voltage needs to be 5v with 1000mA or 1A.
Your laptop almost certainly provides that with a USB 2.0 port (unless of course you have a macbook pro ARGH!). eHuman is right in the sense that most usb wall/car chargers are trickle charging at no more than 500mA wich won't get the PT going.

Find a usb car adapter rated at 5v - 1A and you'll be set.

o4_srt

ECF Veteran
Jun 2, 2010
Lancaster, PA
To be more specific, the source voltage needs to be 5v with 1000mA or 1A.
Your laptop almost certainly provides that with a USB 2.0 port (unless of course you have a macbook pro ARGH!). eHuman is right in the sense that most usb wall/car chargers are trickle charging at no more than 500mA wich won't get the PT going.

Find a usb car adapter rated at 5v - 1A and you'll be set.

How do you figure only 1 amp?

5v <- source voltage
2.6 (ish) ohms <- atty resistance

Ohm's law: V=IR
5v=I(2.6 Ohms)
I=5v/2.6 ohms
I=1.92 amps

even assuming 3.3 ohms (cartomizer):
I=5v/3.3 ohms
I=1.52 amps.

Theoretically, If you use a normal atty (2.6 ohms) at 5v, with only 1 amp max current flow, it will be roughly equivalent to vaping at 2.6 volts, assuming the power supply is not capable of being over-stressed.

In reality, the power supply will provide more than 1 amp, but you will stress the power supply (read: overheat), and heat and electronics NEVER play nicely together.

skri11a

ECF Veteran
Jun 25, 2010
Houston
Yeah, I can't argue actual math and I'm certainly not a qualified electronics expert. I was mainly going by my own experience and some things I've read around here.

I don't have it here but I'm almost positive the wall charger I was using said 5v @ 1A but I could be wrong. It was working for me but if I was stressing it, maybe it's best I look for something more in the 5v 2.5A arena?

eHuman

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 18, 2010
San Diego
I don't have it here but I'm almost positive the wall charger I was using said 5v @ 1A but I could be wrong.

Don't drop your guns, the charger needs low amps as you properly noted. He got you nervous with tech jargain, the higher amprage he's talking about is for a power supply to properly run the PT from which the usb has plenty of.

Oh my kingdom for a 12v to 5v car adapter (transformer, power supply, choose yer fav term) to get VaporLung moble, oh wait they make those too.

AttyPops

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jul 8, 2010
Hc Svnt Dracones - USA EST
Interestingly, I was looking for specs to make my own PT when I happened upon this most interesting thread...lol... Hope this helps and doesn't "add fuel to the fire":

Anyway... Look at the wall plug/car adapter. It will have fine print that will say "input" and "output" voltages AND amps.

The Ohm's law (in re-written form) is P=VI for the OUTPUT to your PT. You can wiki the USB standards for computers. Anyway

Power (watts) = volts x amps. So 5 volts x 1.0 amp is 5 watts and does work for most atties (they vary in resistance - ohms). I think the normal 510 atty is about 4.1 - 4.5 watts. That's why the charger output is low as ehuman said (5 volts x 500 ma = 2.5 watts) it is designed for trickle charge. USB has a "charge" mode specification that outputs up to ... I think... 1.5 - 1.8 amps. That's if you short the data wires with a resister.

Anyway... communication is tough... Glad I found this thread to start thinking about watts. Hope this gets everyone thinking about PTs and why many have an in-line battery. Also, X-volt vaping is BS since it is watts that count (as you gentlemen have pointed out).

Thanks for the heads up and interesting discussion on current pass through tech. Now I need to go check all my adapters....

Last edited:

o4_srt

ECF Veteran
Jun 2, 2010
Lancaster, PA
Ahh I shouldn't have even gone there, I already made my point and I likely peeved someone.

And I hope that VaporLung sees the answer to his real problem amongst all of this otherwise it's wasted.

no one was trying to "parade technical superiority" or was "suffering from too much testosterone"

merely trying to help someone out, and detailing my own experiences regarding ecigs and passthroughs hooked up to variable DC power supplies at work, hardly qualifies as such. slow your roll

eHuman

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 18, 2010
San Diego
Thanks for all of the replies!

This makes quite a bit more sense Thanks again folks!

I just didn't want you to make the mistake of thinking that your charger needed replacing with another charger. :)

I'm very glad that that you are happy with your rig and will soon be enjoying it while on-the-go!

searcher

ECF Veteran
Sep 17, 2009
Bossier City, La
Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread