Status
Not open for further replies.

Led Hendriani

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 22, 2009
Northern California

"So I bleached my Canadian hemp! Came out white and smelly of bleach. After 3 15 minutes boiling in distilled water, no more smell. Seems smoother. And now wicks even a bit better and is less stiff. Much more like cotton, only better. :) "

I wonder if it was just because it got the extra boilings?????

thedesbois

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 19, 2012
Montreal, Canada

"So I bleached my Canadian hemp! Came out white and smelly of bleach. After 3 15 minutes boiling in distilled water, no more smell. Seems smoother. And now wicks even a bit better and is less stiff. Much more like cotton, only better. :) "

I wonder if it was just because it got the extra boilings?????

Could be. I should try 3 boils, let it dry for a day. Then 3 boils again. Would be nice to bypass the chlorine. Thanks for the idea.

BJ43

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 27, 2008
Is that an A8 on the lavatube BJ? What's your method for that setup?
I just got in the A8 and yet to explore.
Oval 30g coil, two 2mm wicks, removed insert in the wick hole, that is 8mm of wick going down into the juice.
The A8 is not very efficient, very long wick run from the juice to the coil.

Last edited:

xpen

ECF Veteran
Jun 18, 2012
Italy
(...) I wonder if it was just because it got the extra boilings?????

That's a concrete possibility, additional boilings do make a difference... for instance my canadian 2mm/12strand needs at least 3x 20min boilings before being tamed: at (my standard) two boiling passes its performance (and smell) still leaves something to be desired.

Last edited:

xpen

ECF Veteran
Jun 18, 2012
Italy
(...) So I bleached my Canadian hemp! Came out white and smelly of bleach. After 3 15 minutes boiling in distilled water, no more smell. (...)

I'm wondering whether that'd be safe for vaping...

I think to remember chlorine to be toxic at really few parts per million (ppm), so even when using house bleach - thus highly diluted chlorine - some risk might persist even after repeated boilings... Me, I'd double check that before using the home-bleached wick on a regular basis... :unsure:

Last edited:

QueenofHearts

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 6, 2010
United States, Scotland...
OK, but you have to post a pic so we can see the difference :)
See we are both geniuses...:?::?:
We both are going for the natural, non-bleached unless you still want to try the bleached? :blink:
I'm not, so then you'd have to post some pics so we can see the difference...;)

Quigsworth

Just some guy...
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 25, 2011
The Republic of Cascadia
I'm wondering whether that'd be safe for vaping...

I think to remember chlorine to be toxic at really few parts per million (ppm), so even when using house bleach - thus highly diluted chlorine - some risk might persist even after repeated boilings... Me, I'd double check that before using the home-bleached wick it on a regular basis... :unsure:

I'd be a little concerned with that as well, Canada and the US have been large scale chlorinating drinking water since the 1940's, but that's using chlorine dioxide to a strength of 1ppm max. Bleach is a different puppy altogether...I remember my dad "shocking" our cottages well just before we left after a weekend with a cup of bleach ...so that there was at least a full week for it to naturally dissipate...we eventually installed a U.V. filter...bleach is a little too scary...

Last edited:

Led Hendriani

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 22, 2009
Northern California
See we are both geniuses...:?::?:
We both are going for the natural, non-bleached unless you still want to try the bleached? :blink:
I'm not, so then you'd have to post some pics so we can see the difference...;)

After reading the above... no bleach for me! :)

As to the pics, I don't own that kind of razor, nor could I possibly find that much shaving cream in the kingdom on such short notice, no matter how fast I dance to try to please Thee, Your Majesty!!! ;)
:rickroll::rickroll::rickroll::rickroll::rickroll::rickroll::rickroll::rickroll::rickroll:

dakrido

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 13, 2013
France
Received my dra's xl v2 today in the mail. Made my first hemp wick, and just simply never had such a good vape!
It's the 1.5mm 12 strain natural hemp thread that i ordered in France that i used.
I'm vaping an organic 100% vg juice in it, which gives me quite an intense taste of chai latte that i've always looked for.
The only issue that I have is that i built two hemp wicks the same way for both dra's (four wraps with 0.20 kanthal) but i get different ohms for them. I got 1.5 and 2.5, but after a while vaping (my girl friend seems converted too...) the ohms changed. Not sure how i can get them stable.
I'll try to attach some pictures of the dra. I wanted to use this atty (sold by vapor-freak.de in Germany) for the hemp, cause in the reviews i read that it doesn't only wick easy, but they're also very, very large, which I thought might be a good thing for the hemp.
e9ary3y3.jpg

zu4a8y9a.jpg

raje7atu.jpg

Envoyé de mon iPad à l'aide de Tapatalk

Last edited:

wolcen

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 9, 2011
Boston, MA
www.wolcen.com
No worries, I'm a months-long lurker and a Johnny Come Lately :) I finally decided to give Lovepedal my $4 and placed an order.

Make some room on that caboose Stoneface - just placed my order a few minutes ago. Thanks BJ43 (and lovepedal :)) I'm certian I will be pleased. I plan to give this a go on my new mini-RDA. Great little bugger for <$10. I'm a value vaper for sure, but there's a lot to be had in that category these days :p

Quigsworth

Just some guy...
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 25, 2011
The Republic of Cascadia
...I plan to give this a go on my new mini-RDA. Great little bugger for <$10. I'm a value vaper for sure, but there's a lot to be had in that category these days :p...

I'm a big fan of the low $ gear. I marvel at the money being thrown around on the classy's and astounded by peep's vanity regarding such a still very esoteric hobby :confused:)...at one time I had both a GGTS/ZAG combo and a GGTS/Ody combo just to see if I was missing something, pfft, don't get me wrong, some pretty good gear but is it $800 good? (that's a pretty wicked weekend in Vegas :laugh:)...the only thing I do find is if you mod like I do, the mystery metal becomes an issue...I managed to line the bores I made in my bf modded igo s's with SS syringe but it wasn't easy (I didn't bother posting the method as most wouldn't have the tools I used to do it so???) but it pains me to drop $65 - $70 on an ERA dripper then spend another 20 mins modding it to bf when I can buy a $16 igo s and mod it to bf in 5 mins (and another hour pressing in 16 gauge syringe then dressing it)...screw it, add my time and the ERA is a better deal, but modding is my choice so I deal with it.

wolcen

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 9, 2011
Boston, MA
www.wolcen.com
I'm a big fan of the low $ gear. I marvel at the money being thrown around on the classy's and astounded by peep's vanity regarding such a still very esoteric hobby :confused:)...at one time I had both a GGTS/ZAG combo and a GGTS/Ody combo just to see if I was missing something, pfft, don't get me wrong, some pretty good gear but is it $800 good? (that's a pretty wicked weekend in Vegas :laugh:)...the only thing I do find is if you mod like I do, the mystery metal becomes an issue...I managed to line the bores I made in my bf modded igo s's with SS syringe but it wasn't easy (I didn't bother posting the method as most wouldn't have the tools I used to do it so???) but it pains me to drop $65 - $70 on an ERA dripper then spend another 20 mins modding it to bf when I can buy a $16 igo s and mod it to bf in 5 mins (and another hour pressing in 16 gauge syringe then dressing it)...screw it, add my time and the ERA is a better deal, but modding is my choice so I deal with it.

Yeah, I guess if you got that kind of money, you have to spend it on something...right? :blink: I suppose some of them do have their merit where it comes to certain tough-to-build features, or otherwise as works of art so-to-speak. But yeah, I definitely linger about in the polar opposite range of gear. My first "sweet mod" was my pride and joy: the 2x14500 VV box mod I made. It really wasn't very professionally built, but it lasted me several months at least (with a few repairs) and that thing really kicked my throat! Did I mention it was SO much cheaper than a Buzz/Provari or any of the the couple others available at the time?

IGO-L and IGO-S were long standing on my radar as my next purchase, until I bumped into the Mini-RDA. Also SS and cheaper than both of those. Plus I liked the look of it (the reg RDA just looked so...something along the lines of "clunky"). Sold! No, it's not that much cheaper, but still - I could buy 3 mini-RDA's instead of two IGO's. That's pretty damn good stock on a limited disposable income.

And then there's this hemp, right? I mean, less than $5 and I've got hemp for years I'm guessing. Guess I just don't require much at all to stay happy these days. :)

Whatever...go with what you like! OK, I'm done listening to myself ramble. :cool:

Quigsworth

Just some guy...
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 25, 2011
The Republic of Cascadia
Ramble on Wolc, ramble on...it's all good info:toast:...I remember when I had 20 posts to my name on ECF and thinking, "man, listen to these guys, if I don't have that new $$$ piece of gear my vaping experience must be sucking"...what a load of crap, especially now in the days of RBA's, when it comes to a great vape, it's not how much money you spend (that's easy)...it's how much ingenuity you have...and if you built it yourself and it blows clouds...you're a Rockstar

sizzle

Verified Member
Jan 23, 2012
United States
Just got my love pedal 1mm natural last night along with some Temco 32 kanthal to try my hand at my first coil and wick. ( For a Vivi tank) Let me first say THANK YOU! I think I saved myself a ton of headaches by doing a bit of reading here. Now the details and a question.... I unraveled the 1mm hemp into what looked like about 7 separate strands and just kind of laid them together before threading through the newly made coil. I did no braiding, twisting, or knotting and my wicks look rather scraggly. I've read and have seen pics of some wicks on this and other threads that look fatter or braided, maybe just using the 1mm or 2mm as it is packaged. Does braiding or thick wick have a benefit? My thinking was to increase the surface area contacting the juice by having many separate smaller strands soaking in the juice.

xpen

ECF Veteran
Jun 18, 2012
Italy
Went to naturellementchanvre.com to place an order and the three sizes I wanted came to 5.93E but then the shipping was 24E. Me thinks that is too much for three 10m pieces of hemp.
it is, indeed :)

The owner of the shop, Alain, seems to have some things to iron out about shipping (prices & methods)... in my case I had to go through an off-website order, managed directly via email and paypal, but that way he was eventually able to ship me a full reel - or close to that, not sure yet - for as low as 2.5€.

The best shipping option when ordering via website was 13.90€ (yikes!), and please note that I'm next door to him so to speak, so there's definitely something wrong there... All I could gather is that he seems to be framed with a compulsory shipping method if you order via his website; not that it makes sense to me, mind you :)

Unfortunately my French isn't up to par, as his English, so we had to jump thru some extra hoops just because of language barriers... but he's definitely willing to cooperate.

The owner still has no clues as to why we're now hammering him from everywhere out of the blue :); perhaps dakrido may explain him the situation, and try to streamline things in native language?

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread