Status
Not open for further replies.

bombastinator

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 12, 2010
MN USA
One of my friends still on analogs showed me a coupon she got in a pack of L&Ms for like $15 off of a Juul Kit. Did Juul buy a tobacco company?
Other way around. BT bought a working control interest in JUUL. 35%. Some would argue that that’s not controlling because it’s less than 51%. They’re wrong. They don’t understand US corporate structure and how it works. The legal minimum for a working control interest is 20%. That’s why they had to legally announce it.

Rossum

Eleutheromaniac
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 14, 2013
SE PA
Some would argue that that’s not controlling because it’s less than 51%.
The question of "control" is who owns the voting shares; they're the ones who in the end hire (or fire) top management and thus decide how the company is run. Yes, a 20% or greater ownership stake must be disclosed/announced, but that doesn't mean it's sufficient to exercise "control".

zoiDman

My -0^10 = Nothing at All*
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 16, 2010
So-Cal
Other way around. BT bought a working control interest in JUUL. 35%. Some would argue that that’s not controlling because it’s less than 51%. They’re wrong. They don’t understand US corporate structure and how it works. ...

I wonder if some of those people, who Don't Understand US Corporate Structure, are confused because they Don't Understand the Difference between a Privately Held Company and a Publicly Held Company?

Reactions: Rossum

CarolT

ECF Veteran
Feb 22, 2011
Madison WI
Other way around. BT bought a working control interest in JUUL. 35%. Some would argue that that’s not controlling because it’s less than 51%. They’re wrong. They don’t understand US corporate structure and how it works. The legal minimum for a working control interest is 20%. That’s why they had to legally announce it.

Actually, it's only 5%. But they report on less than that among the officers.

bombastinator

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 12, 2010
MN USA
Actually, it's only 5%. But they report on less than that among the officers.
That’s a different level as well, but it is also one. I don’t know why 20% was the break point chosen for when a company can be functionally controlled by a single interest. It was chosen though. The actual level of control BT has over JUUL is known only by the board AFAIK. It was enough to make the head of the FDA resign in anger. All we have is clues. The coupon thing is an indicator though that it is greater rather then lessor.

NOTE: people have pointed out that the reasoning for Gottleib leaving is conjectural and they’re right. I don’t know why Gottleib left.

Last edited:

Rossum

Eleutheromaniac
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 14, 2013
SE PA
The actual level of control BT has over JUUL is known only by the board AFAIK. It was enough to make the head of the FDA resign in anger.
Wait, you're saying Gottlieb quit at the FDA because Altria tool a stake in Juul?

Do you have some links or something to back this up?

• Agree
Reactions: zoiDman

zoiDman

Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 16, 2010
So-Cal
From him reports on this site of him becoming very angry when he heard of it then resigning. Do you need references?

I Don't think Anyone is going to say that Scott was Overjoyed when the News hit that Atria had bought a Non-Controlling Interest in JUUL. Although it Wasn't exactly a huge surprise. Because the Deal had been in the works for over a Year.

But say'n that Gottlieb Quit as FDA Commissionaire over it? That Seems like a Ginormous Leap even for Op-Ed.

• Agree
Reactions: Rossum

bombastinator

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 12, 2010
MN USA
I Don't think Anyone is going to say that Scott was Overjoyed when the News hit that Atria had bought a Non-Controlling Interest in JUUL. Although it Wasn't exactly a huge surprise. Because the Deal had been in the works for over a Year.

But say'n that Gottlieb Quit as FDA Commissionaire over it? That Seems like a Ginormous Leap even for Op-Ed.
This may be true. It came out more sure footed than I meant it. The why hasn’t been announced. We still don’t know and it’s only one possible theory. There are several, cancer iirc being one of them. It was merely the one settled in my head when I said it.

zoiDman

Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 16, 2010
So-Cal
This may be true. It came out more sure footed than I meant it. The why hasn’t been announced. We still don’t know and it’s only one possible theory. There are several, cancer iirc being one of them. It was merely the one settled in my head when I said it.

I think that Big Dump Truck full of Federal Reserve Notes that the Fine Folks at Pfizer backed up to Scott's house might have had something to do with Gottlieb leaving "Public Service".

But that's just a Ocham's razor.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread