Juuling effects

Status
Not open for further replies.

Matric

Jun 27, 2018
Hi there. So I'm a 18 year old juul user and have been using it for several months now (got into it from friends). I cant really say how much I do it a day it's random at times. Ive searched the internet for a long time trying to find the side effects of vaping but don't really know what to trust. I'm a swimmer and am just worried about if I will develop I guess "old man lungs" at a young age. Is this possible for me? Thanks, Tristan.

Reactions: stols001

stols001

Moved On
ECF Veteran
May 30, 2017
vaping is considered safer than smoking, but no one can really say for sure. I will say my son, who was a "rare" smoker before converting to vaping DID feel his lung capacity improved once he quit vaping entirely. So, that's a "self-reported" study of "one," but if you are a serious swimmer, I don't really understand why you would risk it. Period.

Also the Juul pods are proprietary, so no one knows EXACTLY what is in them. Etc. I mean, it is known that they use Benzoic acid to convert regular freebase nicotine to nicotine salts, and I'd imagine there is some PG and VG in there as well as flavorings, I just don't know what else.

The only thing I can really say is a) vaping is safer than smoking by a fair amount. b) My lungs feel better when I'm vaping, but I'm afraid I already HAVE "old lady smoker lungs." c) In an unknown situation with the POSSIBLITY of some harm (I mean, vaping hasn't been around long enough to study the LONG term effects) and significant benefit for QUITTING (you'll no for SURE you aren't damaging your lungs) well, I'm not entirely sure why you wouldn't QUIT immediately.

The information you want isn't entirely available, and there have been no longitudinal (long term studies of vaping) because it hasn't been around long enough, and there are times when vaping by a never smoker might be useful/advisable/okay etc. I guess, you are a SWIMMER and so I'd err on the side of caution (personally). You don't have to vape so don't.

With that said, it's entirely up to you. If you are a decent enough swimmer to get you on a college team somewhere at some point, I would personally avoid it.

Anna

Reactions: Matric

Matric

Jun 27, 2018
Vaping is considered safer than smoking, but no one can really say for sure. I will say my son, who was a "rare" smoker before converting to vaping DID feel his lung capacity improved once
Vaping is considered safer than smoking, but no one can really say for sure. I will say my son, who was a "rare" smoker before converting to vaping DID feel his lung capacity improved once he quit vaping entirely. So, that's a "self-reported" study of "one," but if you are a serious swimmer, I don't really understand why you would risk it. Period.

Also the Juul pods are proprietary, so no one knows EXACTLY what is in them. Etc. I mean, it is known that they use Benzoic acid to convert regular freebase nicotine to nicotine salts, and I'd imagine there is some PG and VG in there as well as flavorings, I just don't know what else.

The only thing I can really say is a) vaping is safer than smoking by a fair amount. b) My lungs feel better when I'm vaping, but I'm afraid I already HAVE "old lady smoker lungs." c) In an unknown situation with the POSSIBLITY of some harm (I mean, vaping hasn't been around long enough to study the LONG term effects) and significant benefit for QUITTING (you'll no for SURE you aren't damaging your lungs) well, I'm not entirely sure why you wouldn't QUIT immediately.

The information you want isn't entirely available, and there have been no longitudinal (long term studies of vaping) because it hasn't been around long enough, and there are times when vaping by a never smoker might be useful/advisable/okay etc. I guess, you are a SWIMMER and so I'd err on the side of caution (personally). You don't have to vape so don't.

With that said, it's entirely up to you. If you are a decent enough swimmer to get you on a college team somewhere at some point, I would personally avoid it.

Anna
stols001 thankyou for your very informative reply. So I'm not sure if you know the answer to this question but I'm going to ask anyways. Do you think if I quit right now the damage to my lungs is already done and irreversible even after just a few months? I'm definitely no college level swimmer I just do club swimming for the workout but I do plan on going into the military after college (navy seals specifically) and want to make sure I am in as best of shape as possible for that. So it will be at least 4 years until then but want to know if I've already done any permanent damage. Thanks, Tristan.

stols001

Moved On
ECF Veteran
May 30, 2017
Tristan I think a few months vaping intermittently probably won't damage your lungs permanently. I really 99.9% think that.

If I were to have tried to enter basic training after being a smoker for a while, I'd probably have a hard time.

If you don't have an entrenched vaping OR smoking habit, that's going to be healthier. I will say the body is a self healing system, so I think you'd be fine. I just don't think it's a great idea to start smoking OR vaping if you want to lead an athletic lifestyle period, there's no reason for it.

My older sister was a SMOKER for a few years, and she quit and runs marathons (for fun.) So, I think you'll be okay.

I also think you should not vape for many reasons, cost, becoming addicted to nicotine if you aren't, etc. So not just health there are tons of good reasons not to start vaping.

I am pretty doubtful you've done any long term permanent damage though. I mean, if you're stressed about it, consult a doctor and etc. I'm not a doctor. But, my son has Michael Phelps like lungs and he used to vape pretty heavily for a few years, and his lung capacity is rather large .Etc.

Good luck

Anna

Matric

Jun 27, 2018
Tristan I think a few months vaping intermittently probably won't damage your lungs permanently. I really 99.9% think that.

If I were to have tried to enter basic training after being a smoker for a while, I'd probably have a hard time.

If you don't have an entrenched vaping OR smoking habit, that's going to be healthier. I will say the body is a self healing system, so I think you'd be fine. I just don't think it's a great idea to start smoking OR vaping if you want to lead an athletic lifestyle period, there's no reason for it.

My older sister was a SMOKER for a few years, and she quit and runs marathons (for fun.) So, I think you'll be okay.

I also think you should not vape for many reasons, cost, becoming addicted to nicotine if you aren't, etc. So not just health there are tons of good reasons not to start vaping.

I am pretty doubtful you've done any long term permanent damage though. I mean, if you're stressed about it, consult a doctor and etc. I'm not a doctor. But, my son has Michael Phelps like lungs and he used to vape pretty heavily for a few years, and his lung capacity is rather large .Etc.

Good luck

Anna
Thankyou again for your extremely informative replies. Once you see this reply I've already thrown my juul away and will no longer continue to use it. Thankyou so much for your information I really do appreciate it :). ~Tristan.

dc99

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 17, 2014
earth
Thankyou again for your extremely informative replies. Once you see this reply I've already thrown my juul away and will no longer continue to use it. Thankyou so much for your information I really do appreciate it :). ~Tristan.
Probably the smartest thing you will ever do

stylemessiah

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 16, 2015
Sydney, Australia
Loving this thread

Good call young man

I smoked for 35 years

I'm 47

Wished I'd never smoked, but we'll I was given one to quote "calm me down" when I was 11 going on 12, as no one knew about Asperger's back in those days, and so parental medicating....I was also given alcohol, so doubly grateful for that...

But I digress, if I'd had had the choice or the freedom to make it myself, I would have chosen not to ever smoke

I do feel better since startng vaping 3.5 years ago, and also happy to say I quit alcohol about a year before I took up vaping (going sober gave me the impetus to try and quit smoking)...perhaps gives you an idea which is tougher for a lot if people

So I both applaud and envy your choice...

Best of luck

Sent from my SM-N910G using Tapatalk

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread