Kanger coils?!?

Status
Not open for further replies.

vjdossey

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Aug 12, 2013
Antioch, CA
I use the sub tank plus and sub tank minis, have for a long time. I love them. All along I've been using the rba in all of em. I got the new stplus black recently so I grabbed a box of the clapton coils to try. They were ok- juice comsumption when way up and battery life way down. Also experienced some leaking which is a huge annoyance and not worth it to me. I discovered I sometimes I just want to use a pre made coil. Kanger has so many now. Square, round, ssocc, horitontal and several colors... I have new eleaf tc mod but have not used the tc yet- got it as an upgrade in case I choose to go that route. Now to the point of my post. Can someone explain or point me to something that explains the difference in all the new coils- stainless? Kanthal? Nickle? Blue, red, and so on? If you have a preference too- I would love to know why. Thanks guys!

Sent from my LGMS631 using Tapatalk

zoiDman

My -0^10 = Nothing at All*
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 16, 2010
So-Cal
Reactions: vjdossey

vjdossey

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Aug 12, 2013
Antioch, CA

vjdossey

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Aug 12, 2013
Antioch, CA
I think I kinda got Spoiled by the Subtank Mini's RBA Section (and the Wine RTA). I don't use Pre-Made Coil Heads much anymore.

But Hopefully the Link above Helps.
I love the RBA too... Made the switch to these tanks snd haven't looked back since.

However, I am finding myself bored again... Not having anything new and fun to play around with. I have a bad itch to shop a d find something new right now. You mentioned the 'wine rta'... I'll look it up. What so you use other than these two you have mentioned? I cannot find a tank that beats the stplus in capacity other than the nebox- which I REALLY want but hate leaking issues... I need to find a good thread on that mod so I can dig through peoples experience and see whats up with it. I wonder how many use it withOUT the clapton coil... Those proved to be leaky when my 7 ml tank got below 5 ml....

vjdossey

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Aug 12, 2013
Antioch, CA
I have found the following article to be very valuable in wanting to know exactly which coil is made out of which material wire. Especially useful to figuring out which one is actually the elusive SS wire that they make.

Clearing Up the Confusion About The Kanger SSOCC Coils

Hope that helps you out
That was VERY helpful THANK YOU! Like many others, I assumed ss meant stainless coils...

zoiDman

Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 16, 2010
So-Cal
... You mentioned the 'wine rta'... I'll look it up. What so you use other than these two you have mentioned? I cannot find a tank that beats the stplus in capacity other than the nebox- which I REALLY want but hate leaking issues... I need to find a good thread on that mod so I can dig through peoples experience and see whats up with it. I wonder how many use it withOUT the clapton coil... Those proved to be leaky when my 7 ml tank got below 5 ml....

I've pretty much been using a Wine RTA Exclusively since I go it. For a Flavor Chaser/Lower Watt type person, it Really Shines. It also has a Very Simple Appearance.

3806100-6.jpg

SXK Nebula Wine RTA

I have a Bachelor RTA coming. The Initial reviews seem Very Good. I'm just not sure about the Length?

That was VERY helpful THANK YOU! Like many others, I assumed ss meant stainless coils...

Yeah I know Kanger really confused the market with their product naming philosophy for this line of coils.

So no problem helping you out as I was confused as anything at the beginning.

The only thing I am struggling with is finding anywhere that actually sells the SS coil (pink o-ring with SS etched on the casing). U.K. Preferably. Only one I have is the one that came with my toptank mini.

vjdossey

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Aug 12, 2013
Antioch, CA
Yeah I know Kanger really confused the market with their product naming philosophy for this line of coils.

So no problem helping you out as I was confused as anything at the beginning.

The only thing I am struggling with is finding anywhere that actually sells the SS coil (pink o-ring with SS etched on the casing). U.K. Preferably. Only one I have is the one that came with my toptank mini.
I have not seen the pink seals available anywhere either... But, you did get one with the top tank? Did you break it in yet? How do you like it?

I've been vaping close to 3.5 yrs and I should know this but... have all kanger coils always been constructed with nichrome?

zoiDman

Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 16, 2010
So-Cal

I've been vaping close to 3.5 yrs and I should know this but... have all kanger coils always been constructed with nichrome?

I don't think so.

In fact, I'm Pretty Sure that the Original Horizontal Coils were made from Kanthal. And I believe that the 1st version of the Vertical Coils were Kanthal also.

Which was a Deal Breaker to me because I Don't Like the Taste of Kanthal. And use NiChrome 80 almost Exclusively.

vjdossey

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Aug 12, 2013
Antioch, CA
I don't think so.

In fact, I'm Pretty Sure that the Original Horizontal Coils were made from Kanthal. And I believe that the 1st version of the Vertical Coils were Kanthal also.

Which was a Deal Breaker to me because I Don't Like the Taste of Kanthal. And use NiChrome 80 almost Exclusively.
I've never built with nichrome but maybe ill try.

zoiDman

Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 16, 2010
So-Cal
I've never built with nichrome but maybe ill try.

I tried RBA's too many times to Count. K-Fun's, Krakens, Jenny Variants. You name it. They all tasted Bad compared to my Clearo's. Got thinking that Maybe I just wasn't a into Rebuilding.

Then I saw some Thread about Does NiChrome Taste Different than Kanthal? And it hit me like a Ton of Bricks. The Common Denominator with everything I Built was I was using some Gauge of Kanthal. And all my Clearo's had NiChrome Coils.

Why Not Try Building with NiChrome?

So I got a 50' Spool of NiChrome 80 from e-Bay for like 4 Bucks and Built a Coil in a Kraken.

It was Like Night 'n Day. It tasted Great. I Couldn't Believe it. All those RBA's I had bought, and all those Builds I had done, and the Problem was the Kanthal? So I tested things by Exactly Duplicating what I had done in the Kraken with Kanthal. And guess what? It tasted Bad. Needless to Say I gave all my Kanthal Away. And have used NiChrome 80 ever since.

LOL

Tol

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 2, 2011
NY
I don't think so.

That is correct, the original OCC verticals are made with Kanthal

I have a dual 26ga N80 build in my velocity right now and I love it. 9 wraps on 3 mm ID, came out to about 0.5 ohm. Flavor has been great on it.

zoiDman

Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 16, 2010
So-Cal
Gonna order me some nichrome today! Cannot wait to see if this is a hit for me... Wahooo... Lol

For the Price of a Spool of NiChrome 80, I'm not sure why anyone who Hasn't tried NiChrome wouldn't?

The Resistance of NiChrome 80 is Slightly Different than Kanthal A1. So you might want to a do a few "What If" builds on a site like this to see what Gauge would be Best for you.

Coil wrapping

vjdossey

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Aug 12, 2013
Antioch, CA
For the Price of a Spool of NiChrome 80, I'm not sure why anyone who Hasn't tried NiChrome wouldn't?

The Resistance of NiChrome 80 is Slightly Different than Kanthal A1. So you might want to a do a few "What If" builds on a site like this to see what Gauge would be Best for you.

Coil wrapping
Don't laugh... Ive never been good at understanding that damn calculator... I like vaping a .5-.8 ish coil... I only vape around 25 watts... Usually wound around the largest pole on my lil coil jig. I assume its 3mm...

zoiDman

Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 16, 2010
So-Cal
Don't laugh... Ive never been good at understanding that damn calculator... I like vaping a .5-.8 ish coil... I only vape around 25 watts... Usually wound around the largest pole on my lil coil jig. I assume its 3mm...

No Laughing. The first couple of times I used that software I was kinda Lost.

I just did a Work Up on it for a NiChrome 80 Single 3mm Diameter Coil @ .7 Ohms

For 26 Gauge, that would be 6 Wraps.
For 28 Gauge, that would be 4 Wraps.

4 Wraps to me are Not Enough. 6 Wraps is a Nice amount. Because you can go with 5 Wraps to have a .5 Ohms coil. Or 7 Wraps to have .8 Ohms Coil.

So for a Single Coil, 26 Gauge sounds like a Safe Bet for the .5 ~ .8 Ohm Range.

I saved the Settings in this link if you want to try Different Gauges or Ohms and see what they do to the Wraps.

Coil wrapping

Last edited:

Tol

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 2, 2011
NY
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread