Kanger pro tank problems

Status
Not open for further replies.

danpio1217

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 30, 2012
Columbus, Ohio (Dublin)
I vape 50/50 and 70/30. I really don't like the performance without removing with wick so if i can't get it to work with the wick removed it's probably going into the trash lol.

If i continue to have issue's i may try adding some silicka back in, hopefully i can find the right blend of performance and no leaking. Thanks!

Mike36609

ECF Veteran
Mar 28, 2012
Mobile, AL
I got my my first T3 a week or so back. Vaped one full tank of Tennessee Cured (100% VG)with no problems, not even a hint of flooding/gurgling as the tank became nearly empty. Refilled the tank with TC and it immediately leaked/gurgled constantly from that point forward. Finally washed/cleaned everything thoroughly and set it aside. Took one of the two wicks off the top on Saturday night, refilled with Hawk Sauce (Max VG), and have used sparingly since with no leaks/gurgles. Tank is now 1/2 full and no problems.

This is why I always wind up going back to my trusted, tried and true Smok cartos.

LunchusBoxious

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 8, 2013
Ontario Canada
I have noticed that mine has leaked when it gets passed the half way mark, atleast with the standered coil and wick. I have since then rewicked it with cotton cheesecloth and kanthal 32guage @ 2.2 ohms and havent had a leaking problem yet (only been a couple days). I did make sure to lay a loose wick on top just like they come in the package.

Hippieangst

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 30, 2013
Statesboro, GA
Looks like some other people are having the exact same issue on this thread:
http://www.e-cigarette-forum.com/forum/tanks/404745-help-kanger-protank-leaking-2.html

One of the posts suggests it's the buildup of negative pressure, and when it happens they suggest removing the protank, turning it upside down, removing and reassembling the bottom cap to equalize the pressure. I'll have to give it a shot, but it's a bummer this happens, was hoping these could be my new fiddle-free out and about devices.

This seems like a very logical explanation. I've noticed when I leave my tank half full for a while...like overnight...I get the gurgles. With a simple disassemble, quick clean (cram some paper towel in the shaft of the coil head), and reassemble, the tank works just fine.

When I vape with it all day, I can get down to the absolute last drops without any gurgles or leaks, but I have to be rocking that thing consistently throughout the day.

cat58

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 30, 2013
DFW
I am trying to love mine - only filled it up this afternoon and while there are no leaks (yet) it is the noisiest dang thing! What is up with that - gurgles and hisses and pops. Lots of vapor, however maybe my taster is off but about 1 in 3 hits lose a lot of flavor. I dunno. I want to love it but my evods are kinda looking better and better to me. I'm too old for this kind of aggravation.....even tho it looks rather cool on my gold ego battery, looks ain't everything,

Glen Snyder

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Glad I ran into this post. I was about to pull the trigger and buy the pro tank. I am looking for a no fiddle on the go option when dripping just won't do. Looks like the Kanger pro tank is not the answer. They are dropping in price by the day... Now I think I know why.

JMO but maybe you should read the threads reviewing the Protank before making a decision based on a couple users that had an issue after messing with the wicks. Mine works great :)

Happy2beMe

Verified Member
Apr 1, 2013
South Florida, USA
Glad I ran into this post. I was about to pull the trigger and buy the pro tank. I am looking for a no fiddle on the go option when dripping just won't do. Looks like the Kanger pro tank is not the answer. They are dropping in price by the day... Now I think I know why.

tddman66, you shouldn't let yourself get discouraged by this thread. The Protank is so far the very best bottom coil tank (BCT) for the price, Pyrex is king of vaping. EVERY other BCT is plastic which cracks whenever you put the wrong liquid in it. The biggest trick to the Protank is to learn how to rebuild the coil to custom fit the liquid you decide to use (over all, it's also a cheaper way to go). As an alternative; If you really can't rebuild these coil heads and you absolutely have to buy pre made, then try using EVOD coil heads. EVOD coil heads fit perfectly, have a smaller draw tube which makes it less airy and also helps equalize the pressure to reduce the leaking problem some of you are having. Learn to rebuild the coils and the Protank KICKS ...!!! (3mm silica and 32awg kanthal with a 5/4 wrap for 2.0 ohms or 4/3 wrap for 1.7 ohms) experiment with removing a fiber from the 3mm or laying a small fiber or 2 on top of the 3mm after coiling the 3mm. If you want a coil that fires fast, try using 34awg with a 2/1 wrap for 1.8 ohms. check out these videos eVod MT BCC - review & rebuild - YouTube and Kanger EVOD Bottom Coil Atomizer Rebuild HD Close Up - YouTube

Last edited:

cat58

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 30, 2013
DFW
I'm not saying it's not a good item, I just don't think it's for me. I wish I felt able to tweak and all, but I am not a handy woman (I'm laughing at myself, not anyone here - ohms and wraps and stuff make my eyes glaze over) and just think the evods work better for me. And that's just me!

So many people love the protank that I am going to hold on to it and try it again at another time. As with so many things, what is great for one person is maybe not so great for someone else. That protank may be just what you are looking for! My problems with it may be all user error (or as my master mechanic husband used to say about some questionable engine 'problems' brought in to the shop - "loose nut behind the wheel.")

Happy2beMe

Verified Member
Apr 1, 2013
South Florida, USA
Adding the SS mesh rebuild tutorial was a great add to your reply Kanj.nguyen

I never saw a tutorial on doing this before I did it myself. Only one thing about SS wick that sucks a little bit, it has a tendency to spit hot juice on occasion that will burn your tong if you take too heavy a draw. Also, that guy's method causes shorts to happen easier. As an improvement on the process of oxidizing the coil, I remove all plastic/rubber seals, oxidize the mesh ON the head, and thread the wire around the mesh (leaving the mesh ON the head). Don't forget to put the plastic/rubber seals back on after you test your coil. I use only 100%VG so I used #400 mesh as a very hollow wick (not solid like in the video) Ridiculous improvement to the Protank!!! The flavor of your juice will be freaking awesome!!! I HIGHLY recommend trying Protank with SS mesh!!!

If you're not sure what video link I'm talking about, here it is: Tutorial - Kanger Protank rebuild - SS Mesh and ribbon Kanthal - YouTube

Last edited:

Happy2beMe

Verified Member
Apr 1, 2013
South Florida, USA
I'm not saying it's not a good item, I just don't think it's for me. I wish I felt able to tweak and all, but I am not a handy woman (I'm laughing at myself, not anyone here - ohms and wraps and stuff make my eyes glaze over) and just think the evods work better for me. And that's just me!

So many people love the protank that I am going to hold on to it and try it again at another time. As with so many things, what is great for one person is maybe not so great for someone else. That protank may be just what you are looking for! My problems with it may be all user error (or as my master mechanic husband used to say about some questionable engine 'problems' brought in to the shop - "loose nut behind the wheel.")

If it wasn't for it cracking sooo easy with certain e-liquids, I totally agree. As long as you use a safe (no citrus, cinnamon, etc.) e-liquid, The EVOD is BY FAR THE BEST bottom coil clearomizer on the market! It just simply works! It's my #1 recommendation to all the new (and non-building) people interested in vaping. I use the EVOD as my "at work" device and love it's dependability.

Kanj.nguyen

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 18, 2013
Princeton, NJ
Adding the SS mesh rebuild tutorial was a great add to your reply Kanj.nguyen

I never saw a tutorial on doing this before I did it myself. Only one thing about SS wick that sucks a little bit, it has a tendency to spit hot juice on occasion that will burn your tong if you take too heavy a draw. Also, that guy's method causes shorts to happen easier. As an improvement on the process of oxidizing the coil, I remove all plastic/rubber seals, oxidize the mesh ON the head, and thread the wire around the mesh (leaving the mesh ON the head). Don't forget to put the plastic/rubber seals back on after you test your coil. I use only 100%VG so I used #400 mesh as a very hollow wick (not solid like in the video) Ridiculous improvement to the Protank!!! The flavor of your juice will be freaking awesome!!! I HIGHLY recommend trying Protank with SS mesh!!!

If you're not sure what video link I'm talking about, here it is: Tutorial - Kanger Protank rebuild - SS Mesh and ribbon Kanthal - YouTube

That guy is, uh... Me.

I never get hot juice spitting up, and i cant see how that would happen. Perhaps your drag is very strong? The long center tube should catch all occasional spitting.

Kanj.nguyen

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 18, 2013
Princeton, NJ
If it wasn't for it cracking sooo easy with certain e-liquids, I totally agree. As long as you use a safe (no citrus, cinnamon, etc.) e-liquid, The EVOD is BY FAR THE BEST bottom coil clearomizer on the market! It just simply works! It's my #1 recommendation to all the new (and non-building) people interested in vaping. I use the EVOD as my "at work" device and love it's dependability.

It seems you and i think a lot alike. Aside from the idea of putting mesh into Protank, i also put the eVod atthe very top of my newbie recommendation list. Coupled with a matching color eGo and you have yourself a stealthy, slick looking dependable rig.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread