Kanger Protank Airflow Fix

Status
Not open for further replies.

GREEN ZOMBIE

ECF Veteran
Oct 20, 2013
Calgary AB
(Revised to be more specific)

This fix is for (KangerTech Heads) on and for (KangerTech Protanks).

Also This Fix Is To Cover The "No" Airflo issue... "Not" The Airy Draw Issue

(This thread is for a specific Brand (KangerTech) and (The Kanger Protank Line made by KangerTech)
(Excluding the Mini Protank, As this issue can't effect them seeing as the grommet is fully exposed)

I use only authentic KangerTech parts on my KangerTech products.
If you are using 3rd party parts, knockoffs, clones or a different item all together then
Please ignore this thread and start a new thread for your specific item and issue.

Sorry about the NEW opening to this post but I needed to clear up a few things since on my original post for this fix some people got confused somehow)
(I also added a larger image)

Thank You and Please Continue!!!

Ok, so I have looked just about everywhere and see that no one has posted or addressed the real issue with the no airflow on the Kanger heads, I see lots of fixes that involve buying more parts or threading it down only so far onto your device... not really a fix, and could also damage threads on some devices if not tightened down properly.

So... The airflow issue lays within the base and head, The head is designed so it has some give when screwed down on a device with a long center pin, But if the rubber grommet gets compressed enough it will bulge out, This grommet is also an insulator that holds the coil ends.

If you unscrew the base from the device and look into the bottom you will see the white grommet filling the inside of the air tube, Air comes in from the tiny holes along the side near the top of the threads, down the inside of the 510 connection tube and up the small hole in the center contact post...

I made a quick diagram below... The yellow lines show the path of airflow, Note: Air actually passes through the slotted part of the contact post not under it, But for ease of recognition I put the cut sideways so you can more easily recognize it, The orange box in the second image represents the center pin in your device... and yes it does go inside the 510 connector tube when tightened down on your device.

(click image to enlarge)
Protank Airflow.png

Easy fix: I take a small vice or pliers and "VERY" lightly compress the grommet, then just shave the bulge flush with an X-acto knife, NOTE: Don't over compress the grommet when doing this, again it is an insulator for the coil wire ends and if you remove to much it could cause a short... only shave enough to allow airflow, Not all heads will need this done, so try them before modifying them.

(This also works in reverse to adjust an airy draw.)
(I know I said this wasn't for the Airy draw issues, and it's not, this is a side note)
(I use very thin O-rings and I place them around the post to restrict the air flow on my original Protank)
(This will also function on the Davide Glassomizers as they use the same heads)

Sorry if this is messy or confusing as I've only been vaping about 3 weeks!

Good Luck and Vape On!!!

Last edited:

crxess

Grumpy Ole Man
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 20, 2012
Williamsport Md
Just as simple and faster to remove the coil head and reset the pin so the grommet is not being pinched. Next install without over tightening.
Argue all you want, there is a difference between loose and over tightening.

A simpler fix to loose draw is using the Evod(original coils) Though you cannot purchase these from Kanger. Other manufacturers still make them.

Good post and all information is always welcome.
The more information available the more likely a person will find a solution that fits for them.:)

BernieVideo

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 7, 2013
NoHo El Lay CA
Hmmm...I really thought the issue was with the big air vents built into the bottom of the bottom plate.
I notice that if I block 2 or the 4 vents, with my fingers, while taking a draw, the hit is less airy.

Seems a simpler solution than fiddling with coils and grommets.

I have on order a Hypertank, which is very similar to the PT2, it uses the same coils. Besides it holding more liquid, the bottom of the bottom plate has none of those air vents.

Screen Shot 2013-10-22 at 11.03.09 AM.jpg

I think that this configuration will solve the airy hit issue.

We will see

crxess

Grumpy Ole Man
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 20, 2012
Williamsport Md
Hey, I wasn't busting your post. Simply adding Facts. Different situations take different actions.

I have seen knock off Heads that looked like they were thrown together with spare parts from a grab bag. Kanger uses a pretty standard design which only calls for one size grommet.

Somewhere in this vast forum is a side-by-side pic of a clone and an original and yes the clone has a nasty fat grommet. Not all clones are that way. I use both Kanger and a good copy.

pufZeppelin

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jul 6, 2013
Florida, SW
Ok, so I have looked just about everywhere and see that no one has posted or addressed the real issue with the no airflow on the Kanger heads, I see lots of fixes that involve buying more parts or threading it down only so far onto your device... not really a fix, and could also damage threads on some devices when not screwed all the way down.

So... [FONT=arial, sans-serif]The airflow issue lays withing the base and head, The head is designed so it has some give when screwed down on a device with a long center pin, But if the rubber insulator gets to compressed it bulges out, This insulator holds the leads/coil ends.

If you unscrew the base from the device and look into the bottom you will see the white insulator filling the inner air tube, Air comes in from the tiny holes along the side near the top of the threads, down the inside of the 510 connection tube and up the small hole in the center contact post...
[/FONT]

hey ZOMBIE!!!,

this is what I’m thinking
being the 510 connection of the Protank / Unitank
the insulator/center pin is capsulated INSIDE the 510 connector
not sure how it could be 'over' compressed...

now looking at the bcc's with ego threaded skirts, the possibility is there,
however, I (yet) don't think there is enuff grommet to squish out
and make a seal around the inside circumference…

the theory is there (I like it a lot), but I need more convincing… :blink: :confused:

crxess

Grumpy Ole Man
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 20, 2012
Williamsport Md
Sorry if I seem a little abrasive, But you are making assumptions as to what I am using and how I am using them, Maybe if you "asked" me I if I was over tightening them and/or using cheap knockoffs instead of just assuming I would not go on the defensive... Just saying!!!

Yes you seem that way.
No, I made no assumptions of your personal equipment.
Some how I don't feel asking those questions would have been less challenging to your logic.
No, I have no reason to think anyone taking the time to evaluate a situation and determine a cause/correction is an Idiot.

For your situation your solution was logical. For someone else it may not apply. That was, is and will continue to be my logic.

A+ for your work on the issue
A+ for sharing information with the community
B- assuming I made any assumptions.:)

JulesXsmokr

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Aug 10, 2013
Hurricane Alley, FL. USA
I like the theory and your drawing OP
It is worth considering, I also have air draw tightness on my Pro Tank and Evods, I do like to use the older Evod heads on them,
and I re-wick with ( cotton and/or silica )and re-coil those, but alas, They are still a little tight and tend to gurgle more.
I'll be trying your method on a few...

Last edited:

GREEN ZOMBIE

ECF Veteran
Oct 20, 2013
Calgary AB
Thanks Green Zombie, That was EXACTLY the issue! I just couldn't figure it out. Thanks dude! Provari does tell customers about the issue with protanks but they fail to mention what exactly is stopping the flow. You nailed it and gave a fix.

I'm not sure Provape Knows, I think they believe it to be the flush fit on the device.

Edit: Oh, They changed the notice, Got this from Provapes site...
"NOTE: Due to the design of the new ProTank 2 we recommend that you don't screw the tank down all the way to the ProVari. This will reduce the airflow. For best results, screw the tank on just to the point where you start to feel it tighten but don't turn it any further. It will still have a secure connection to the ProVari and allow for proper airflow."

Glad to help and Thanks for the positive comment!

Last edited:

hcour

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 18, 2012
SC
Just as simple and faster to remove the coil head and reset the pin so the grommet is not being pinched. Next install without over tightening.

Wow. I've been hassling with my protanks for a couple of weeks, every since I bought them. I followed your simple advice and now they're vaping like champs. Thanks so much.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread