The costs of running this huge site are paid for by ads. Please consider registering and becoming a Supporting Member for an ad-free experience. Thanks, ECF team.

Kanger's New Head! NO BURNY GROMMETS!!

Discussion in 'Tanks, clearomizers and drop-in coils' started by Trayce, Oct 28, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Image has been removed.
URL has been removed.
Email address has been removed.
Media has been removed.
  1. gjustin79

gjustin79 Coil Destroyer Verified Member ECF Veteran

Oct 10, 2013
    Oceanside, CA, USA
    Yeah.. I just ordered 25 of them for $1.20 each at discount vapers. The ones pictured on their page don't have the new heads, but I guess we'll see!

2. Trayce

Trayce Moved On ECF Veteran

Mar 28, 2013
    Multiversal
    So I take it you didn't email to ask first? Let us know what you get. :)

3. gjustin79

Oct 10, 2013
    Oceanside, CA, USA
    Nope haha. I need these really badly. I am out of kanthal, and my heads are tasting like butt..

4. Trayce

Mar 28, 2013
    Multiversal
    LOL.... so sounds like your heads have their heads up their rubber-grommet-butts. :D Well good luck my friend and please do let us know which heads they send out. Since you don't want to take one apart as you cannot rebuild at the mo', just eye the post insulator collar at the bottom of the head for us and let us know if it is opaque or semi-clear. If semi-clear it will actually appear gray'ish since you will be seeing the metal post insulator through it. Thanks and good luck! :)

5. MacTechVpr

MacTechVpr Vaping Master Verified Member ECF Veteran

Supporting member
    Aug 24, 2013
    Hollywood (Beach), FL
    :lol::lol::lol:

6. gjustin79

Oct 10, 2013
    Oceanside, CA, USA
    Will do!

Even if I had kanthal I can't rebuild these suckers. I get a burnt taste no matter what.

I'm starting to think I'm not coiling properly. The kanthal I had was 32g and really flimsy. I am awaiting my 28g in the mail tomorrow and I will see how that goes. I also have an IGO L that I can't use because of that same burnt taste lol.

The heads I picked up and posted about a while back I think are clones, because they burned out way too fast.

7. Trayce

Mar 28, 2013
    Multiversal
    Well I wondered if it was the rubber grommet until you said your IGO L also tastes burnt, and that doesn't have a head!! So one thing is, you should torch your wire before using it or it can taste bad.

Second thing: make sure the end wraps on the coil (the last wrap on both sides) are not higher than the rest of the coil. If it is, it can get hotter because it isn't touching the wick, and THAT creates a nasty metallic burny taste.

Way to avoid that is by tugging both legs real good on the drill bit / wrapping tool to make absolutely certain the end wraps are tightened down like all the rest. If building a head you should also pull on each leg with pliers after installing the positive post, and before snipping the legs away. But with the IGO you can't do that obviously, so just have to make sure the coil has good form before installing it.

But sounds like your kanthal maybe just needed a good torching before doing the wrapping... that will also make it stiffer and easier to do the wrap, as it won't be as springy. But you have 28g on the way so... that will def be easier to use. Good luck!

8. gjustin79

Oct 10, 2013
    Oceanside, CA, USA
    Meh yeah, i did torch it lol. :(

Yes, the end legs are always wonky for me. I don't know how to make them flush with the rest of the coils.

9. Trayce

Mar 28, 2013
    Multiversal
    Well hopefully you will have better results with your 28g stuff!

PS Sometimes people do an extra one or two wraps so they can UNwrap the end coils after the coil is made, with the idea being the end coils are hard to get right, so this way you are left with the "middle" wraps which are tighter and better than the first wrap, especially, if not the last one as well. Just another technique some people use...

10. gjustin79

Oct 10, 2013
    Oceanside, CA, USA
    I'll try that! Thanks.

11. Trayce

Mar 28, 2013
    Multiversal
    @gjustin79: One other thing you might try is a coil jig. Watch the vid in post #2 of this thread to see how it works:http://www.e-cigarette-forum.com/forum/rebuildable-atomizer-systems/481663-pics-your-coiling-contraption-thingy.html. You can make your own in less that 5 minutes with scrap wood, a screw, and an extra drill bit (see post #5 for a pic of NICE homemade one). I made one and do my 1/16th coils on it. Didn't bother making mine pretty though. Passed on the jig saw for a hand saw and didn't bother sanding. Was in a mood to wrap, not craft.

And btw in the demo vid they wrap one end around that screw and tighten the screw down to hold it while they wrap the coil. I don't see the point in that. I chose a screw with a smooth neck so I could just hold one end of the wire down with my thumb against the side of the jig, run it over the top of the jig and around the screw neck, and down to the drill bit to to the wind. Less hassle imo. YMMV.

coil jog.jpg

It does make wrapping easier ... especially that first wrap which can be tricky. OTOH I still make coils using my IGO L screwdriver too the old fashioned way. It's a little larger than 1/16th and I like both IDs.

12. TafkanX

TafkanX Senior Member ECF Veteran

That is brilliant! I am making one of these ASAP!

13. MacTechVpr

Supporting member
    Aug 24, 2013
    Hollywood (Beach), FL
    You're in the same boat I was a few months ago along with many of the others here. Just enough information to be dangerous; but, not quite enough to get over. The hot leg, burny grommet syndrome…wetting your pants from your heads. To help crystalize and visualize the concept Trayce is talking about you might try a quick run-through of these threads…and, you'll see how to tighten up those loose ends...

http://www.e-cigarette-forum.com/forum/tips-tricks/463771-protank-cotton-rebuild-way-i-do.html
    http://www.e-cigarette-forum.com/forum/clearomizers/486794-protank-microcoil-discussion.html

Getting a couple of good coils under your belt will be good for your head. Start with a basic stable (tight coil) and you'll amaze your friends. A young sprout like you should be sailing along in no time.

Good luck!

:)

14. magicmyst

magicmyst Ultra Member Verified Member ECF Veteran

May 10, 2013
    Raleigh, NC
    Anyone seen any of these new silicone Resistance Coil Insulators (grommets) available for sale yet? I just sent an email to lightning vapes asking if they'll be getting them.

15. Trayce

Mar 28, 2013
    Multiversal
    Not me. I emailed Kanger a few weeks ago asking them to make them available. No reply.

(BTW I tried to find the thread we were posting in a couple weeks ago when we were both saying we were getting muted flavor from micro-coils. Turned out for me [at least] the problem was doing too many wraps. 7 wraps works well for flavor in my experience, on 1/16th and slightly larger wrap tools. Hope you were able to find something that works for you.)

16. gjustin79

Oct 10, 2013
    Oceanside, CA, USA
    Discount vapers has kanger's new heads!

These are mine: [​IMG]

I'm too stoked! Glad I got five 5 packs!

17. MacTechVpr

Supporting member
    Aug 24, 2013
    Hollywood (Beach), FL
    Now, tear 'em apart and rebuild 'em. I double dare ya!

:D

p.s. Thanks for the tip.

18. Trayce

Mar 28, 2013
    Multiversal
    Fan-freakin'-tastic! :thumbs: Now let us know how they vape!

19. gjustin79

Oct 10, 2013
    Oceanside, CA, USA
    Good vape.

But they taste like machine oil/plastic.

I really should've washed these before I replaced all FIVE of my T3Ss with these. Hopefully I can break them in.

I'll be rebuilding these as soon as I can get my hands on a drill bit. Since dripping my very first RDA I think I've gotten the hang of it..

Edit: dudes, I think these are worse than the old ones.

I'm hitting a 2.2 (checked by my provari) ohm head at 3.4V and it's burning lol.

Did I mention I ordered 1.8ohm heads...?

20. Trayce

Mar 28, 2013
    Multiversal
    FTR I don't vape any head without washing it thoroughly several times. They all taste like oil to me.

Is it burning your juice though or the wick, or what? It's not burning the grommet, likely. (Don't know the grade of silicone they used but the silicone I got is rated to 500F... meaning your juice would burn first.)

Can't remember if you are a cotton guy, but if so, these stock silica wicks will NOT wick / vape like your rebuilds. Neither will a standard coil vape like a micro-coil....

So if you are used to your own rebuilds, that's why these suck. :) But rebuilt, they should vape better than the old ones in at least that they have silicone grommets that won't add a rubber flavor. (And btw this is why I tear down all my stock heads without even bothering to use them first. Stock coils with silica suck after using micro-coils and cotton.)

Yeah.... they can never guarantee the actual resistance of the heads you get in packs... that's sort of a crap shoot. :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.