Kanger Subtank Mini LEAKING

Status
Not open for further replies.

mesamay2003

ECF Veteran
Jan 30, 2015
AZ, USA
I have 5 subtank mini's and 2 subtank plus's...they are the most leak proof tanks I have...the only time I've had a leak was early on when I wasn't screwing in the occ coils tight enough...it helps to check the tightness again when refilling as the coil ages, as they can loosen up. No leaks with the rba section either, and I don't have to tighten that up as much as the occ's.

Reactions: rbferg

inspects

Squonkamaniac
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 15, 2014
Arizona, Ecuador
I have 5 subtank mini's and 2 subtank plus's...they are the most leak proof tanks I have...the only time I've had a leak was early on when I wasn't screwing in the occ coils tight enough...it helps to check the tightness again when refilling as the coil ages, as they can loosen up. No leaks with the rba section either, and I don't have to tighten that up as much as the occ's.

Yep...the coils loosen, do need to check when refilling....the usual leak location.

I posted this on the big subtank mini thread but I think it was overshadowed by all the other questions on there.

Anyway I just got my subtank mini last night and using the 1.2 ohm OCC on my istick 30w it is leaking! It keeps leaking juice from the airflow control collar. At first I thought it was because I was running it at low wattages (12-15) to warm it up but today I've been running it from 19-22 watts and every time I take it out of my pocket there is juice seeping from the air holes or the collar seams. One time during the day I removed it from my mod and there was juice on top of my istick!

What is going on?? Has anyone else had this happen with theirs? I heard the original subtank had leaking issues but I thought this was fixed with the mini and nano...

I know this reply is quite late but I have a subtank mini, have had it for a few months now, and it doesn't leak at all. I have had it in my pocket too and never leaks. I think either i got the updated one or yours is a dodgy verison.

Haven't tried the Sub Tank standard because I don't feel the need for a bigger tank. I just refill when I go through the juice.

Dimitri

UncLeJunkLe

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
  • Nov 29, 2010
    Clown World, USA
    I have never had trouble with leaking and am under firm belief that any leaking is due to user error.

I have a firm belief that it also has a lot to do with manufacturing inconsistencies in kanger products. Been like this with Kanger wince day 1, not just with the Subtanks.

Last edited:

tehmidcap

Verified Member
    Mar 13, 2015
    PA
    I have a firm belief that it also has a lot to do with manufacturing inconsistencies in kanger products. Been like this with Kanger wince day 1, not just with the Subtanks.

That could be possible as I didn't buy any of the first run Subtank Minis... but I've owned 4 authentic Subtank Minis (3 were with the single airflow control, 1 with dual, all 4 with the brown peek insulator) and never had trouble with any of them.

These days I'm liking the dual coil, higher airflow RTAs more, as the Subtank is deceptive with a large airflow intake on the outside but a not so large airflow opening in the RBA head (that has to pass through the bottom of the coil head -- and the "improved" dual airflow barely makes a noticeable difference) -- But maybe I'll become a fan all over again as I get into TC vaping. I hardly use mine anymore but it was my ADVer for 3-4 months, and my girlfriend still uses hers daily. These Subtank Minis (as well as a few replacement RBAs and replacement airflow control bases) have been very consistent, reliable devices for us.

Like I said, I didn't buy any at launch or that close to it. Kanger isn't the only company to rush the release only to put out an improved version shortly after, and while the rushing release part isn't favorable, it's at least nice that they listen to and respond to consumer issues.

We also own four Kboxes and I only had issues with one of them; which Kanger quickly fixed for me without question or hesitation (got it back within 5 days of sending it in). I love the Kboxes and they're my go-to mods for a day at work and I prefer them over my Istick 50W.I actually broke the cage section of one of my Subtanks (completely my fault, nothing wrong with the device) and they fixed that too even though it really shouldn't have been covered by warranty -- so in my experience their customer and warranty service is prompt and exceptional.

So, maybe I've just gotten really lucky, but 7 out of 8 products Kangertech products I've purchased have been very reliable and the one that wasn't was fixed promptly... So my personal experience would allow me to buy any future Kanger products that I may be interested in with a fairly high level of confidence (just maybe not by pre-order or at launch), and I would recommend them to anyone that asks based on my experience with product and CS reliability.

Andy79Z28

ECF Veteran
    May 22, 2015
    Long Island
    I have the nano about 2 months now. I have re-coiled and re-wicked these with no problems. Today I got the leak from the air holes. After a careful evaluation I decided It was not the tank O rings but the occ coil O ring located under the coil. I have rebuilt this particular coil a few times and have decided that the little O ring on the bottom of the coil is the culprit. Does anyone know what size this o ring is or where you can buy them? Seems after removing the head and re-installing it several times the O ring fails.

Reactions: degal

meloyo

ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Nov 18, 2012
    Philippines
    Reactions: Gillistration

meloyo

ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Nov 18, 2012
    Philippines
    Update: I don't know if this is normal but after 1 1/2 days of vaping, the subtank started leaking again. I started from scratch, cleaned the tank, changed the wick and restuffed the head. It's not leaking now. I'm enjoying the vape on this thing but the maintenance is a bit of a bother.

Reactions: David Wolf

meloyo

ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Nov 18, 2012
    Philippines
    I've had mine about 1-1/2 weeks and had a little bit of a leak. I just removed the base and made sure coil was tight and open up airflow to largest hole on base. Then put bottom back on make sure it's tight. Mine quit leaking after that.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks for that. I'll try opening up the air flow.

meloyo

ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Nov 18, 2012
    Philippines
    What has worked for me is 1) make sure the base is clean of coagulated juice & 2) make sure I have enough wicking material in there. No more leaks after that. But I clean the base and change wicks daily now. I also clean the wire of gunk by dipping it into water then burning. This has extended my wire life quite a bit.

Gillistration

ECF Veteran
    Aug 8, 2015
    I started by checking the o-rings and everything else, but this worked for me. My subtank was leaking from Day 1 and it was upsetting because the taste was excellent.
    I bought two Subtank minis about a month ago now and they both leaked from the air flow control almost out of the box. I tried it with the .5 and 1.2 ohm coils with the same result. It is definitely worse on its side, which is a nuisance in the car. I will try stuffing more cotton in the coil to see if that helps.

Reactions: David Wolf

meloyo

ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Nov 18, 2012
    Philippines
    I bought two Subtank minis about a month ago now and they both leaked from the air flow control almost out of the box. I tried it with the .5 and 1.2 ohm coils with the same result. It is definitely worse on its side, which is a nuisance in the car. I will try stuffing more cotton in the coil to see if that helps.

The videos on rebuilding all recommend trimming the cotton. I don't trim the cotton anymore. I stuff all of it in there and that does the trick. But it took me quite a bit of wasted juice to figure out the right amount of cotton to prevent the leaking and still have a great vape.

David Wolf

Moved On
    ECF Veteran
    Dec 11, 2014
    Charlotte, NC
    I'm too busy at work to keep testing my subtank mini air hole leakage issue, fine for two days then started leaking on the stock 1.2 ohm coil and also the second day when I build the RBA out. Set it aside until I have more time. And no, it's not the seals I tested for that, it's the saturation of the cotton, my thinner 70pg/30vg (though high vg users have had leaks too), and perhaps power, I vape it around 12w air hole all the way open (still leaks) or middle holes. I saw vapor coming out the air hole once and that's a sure sign I'm gonna have juice leak out there. Back on my nautilus mini's and GS airs which have never leaked.

David Wolf

Moved On
    ECF Veteran
    Dec 11, 2014
    Charlotte, NC
    I have eight Kanger subtanks mini's, none leak, have a different flavor in each.

The Kanger Nano tanks don't leak, I have three with different flavors.

Have four of the full size Kanger subtanks, no leaks.

One of my Atlantis tanks leaked once around the air hole, but the base was loose, my fault.
    Let me guess, you vape at 20 to 30 w air holes wide open, at least 50/50 or higher vg, straight to lung, am I right? ;) not everyone Vapes at high power, MTL 12 w. Leaks.

Reactions: drysprocket
    Status
    Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread