Kanger Subtank Mini LEAKING

Status
Not open for further replies.

David Wolf

Moved On
ECF Veteran
Dec 11, 2014
Charlotte, NC
I wouldn't (have second thoughts), personally. Between my girlfriend and I we own three and I'm thinking about getting two or three more either Mini or Plus.

I have never had trouble with leaking and am under firm belief that any leaking is due to user error.
Your firm belief in some cases would be wrong. :)

LisiLoo83

Oct 9, 2015
Hi, just got my subtank mini, but I'm using the rba, any ideas why mine might be leaking from the airholes? Already checked the o-rinngs.

leaks are due to failed/missing gaskets, coil not screwed on correctly to base or bad coil gasket(more than likely ur issue) or vacum leak.
vacum leak test - turn afc ring to the closed position, no holes, try to drag on it and u shouldnt be able to get any air if u do one of the red seals are not functioning/missing/unaligned, glass is not seated properly etc

gofishtx

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 24, 2014
Tomball Texas
Hi, just got my subtank mini, but I'm using the rba, any ideas why mine might be leaking from the airholes? Already checked the o-rinngs.
What ohm build are you running? You could have your wattage set too low for the resistance or your wicks could be too long and allowing juice to pool beneath your RDA. Other than that, it would have to be your O rings, change them out even if you don't think they are the problem and see if it stops the leaking.

Reactions: gjam

gjam

Aug 29, 2015
Climax, Ks.
leaks from airhole would be:
coil gasket, theres 2 of them 1 at coil base and 1 at the top chimney hole
coil not screwed in correctly
debris where bottom coil gasket meets base
defective base and or defective coil head
bad wick or wick pushed too far past the wicking holes
flooding for whatever reason like over priming

bad red seals wouldnt cause leaks coming from within air holes
Thanks Vin. I got the subox mini kit for the wife and used all the coils and rba that came with the kit for months without a leak. I have always kept up on maintenance washing and cleaning the tank but, I bought some replacement coils and started having major leaking. I think now I can dry this unit up with the help of your advice. I read all your posts and I appreciate your straight forward information and your knowledge of the tank. Thanks again..............G

K V

Oct 15, 2015
I've been struggling between dry hits and leaking. Only had it a week, and was getting dry hits with the OCC coils. I built on the RBA last night, and was getting some dry hits so I did some pulls to increase saturation, and it started leaking out of the airholes. It's also leaking around the o ring on the bottom of the glass, but I can't seem to get the glass off to change or clean them. I'm going to play with wicking today to see if I can fix it. Would a thinner but longer strip of cotton help? Thinner to provide more juice inside the coil, longer to stuff in the deck and try to prevent leaking?

I sold off ALL my Kanger sh*t & will never buy ANY of their product again!

Currently, I am rockin' the Uwell Crown Tank, Smok TFV4 Tank, and 13 Heavens 9 Hells RDA. Kanger can hang out the CLOSED sign!!

These tanks are WAY CHEAPER, don't leak, and supply HUGE vapor hits. No daily "maintenance", bull.... ring replacements/orientation, tightening & re-tightening, no burning, no dry hits, big vapor - what more do I need?

Oh, and did I mention that the coils last a minimum of 2 to 3 weeks and then just need to be soaked/cleaned in vodka & good for another 10 days or so? Can I get an, "Amen!"

Last edited:
Reactions: MJ12

haleysdadda

Ultra Member
Verified Member
Oct 27, 2015
Santee,San Diego
Sorry all y'all have so much problems with your subs! Never had any problems with mine in 8 months after I figured out the wicking on the rba! Only used the occ's for about a month never leaked! I personally like the V1 rba with the juice channels in the deck opened up! Tried to get the V2 right a couple of times ,NO JOY! MY BAD! My mini is my back up tank now when I'm rebuilding my Mutation MT. The Mutation is an AWESOME BEAST! Build your favorite build on the almost full size deck cram it with cotton and rock 'n roll! The next best thing for you prebuilt subohmers is the Mutank MuTank (RTA & Sub-Ohm Tank) by Indulgence
I will always have a fond place in my heart for my Subtank Mini

Reactions: David Wolf

Elizabeth Baldwin

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 2, 2014
Lexington, Kentucky, United States
I hate all the issues with these setups. I own 4 and my husband owns 2. I also have a few extra tanks. I use them almost exclusively and only had 1 leak when I first got my first one. It was a wicking issue for me. After learning the proper way to place my wicks I've had no leaking whatsoever. I've been using these tanks for several months. Of course I only use the RBA sections. I hate stock coils. I really can't say if they leak or not. But the RBA section has a learning curve. Once you master the builds you shouldn't have any leaking unless you orings are bad.

Reactions: haleysdadda

Elizabeth Baldwin

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 2, 2014
Lexington, Kentucky, United States
BTW: I had a friend who's tank leaked bad. I'm the one who talked her into buying a Subox kit, so I felt obligated to try and help her sort it out. She was using the stock coils and it leaked no matter what she tried. I took her tank apart, cleaning it, and built her a coil on her RBA section and showed her how to put the cotton in and wrap a coil. It never leaked again. She loves it now.

I advise anyone if you have a Subox to use the RBA section and watch a video on youtube on proper wicking for these. I think the stock coils have a design flaw and many times will leak. The RBA section only leaks if you aren't placing the wick correctly.

Either way I wish you the best and hope you get your issues resolved.

Good luck.

MJ12

ECF Veteran
Aug 3, 2013
Murfreesboro, TN
I sold off ALL my Kanger sh*t & will never buy ANY of their product again!

Currently, I am rockin' the Uwell Crown Tank, Smok TFV4 Tank, and 13 Heavens 9 Hells RDA. Kanger can hang out the CLOSED sign!!

These tanks are WAY CHEAPER, don't leak, and supply HUGE vapor hits. No daily "maintenance", bull.... ring replacements/orientation, tightening & re-tightening, no burning, no dry hits, big vapor - what more do I need?

Oh, and did I mention that the coils last a minimum of 2 to 3 weeks and then just need to be soaked/cleaned in vodka & good for another 10 days or so? Can I get an, "Amen!"

Can you spell C-R-A-I-G-S-L-I-S-T? That's where mine will end up.

FrankRice

Nov 30, 2015
I've only been vaping for a month and I think my continual leaks, then eventual gurgling and flooding was because of my crappy rewicking technique of the RBA. As soon as I rinsed out the airflow control and switched to an OCC, the leaking completely stopped. I plan on going back to my RBA and I hope my rewicking has improved.

Reactions: haleysdadda

JavaJunkie

ECF Veteran
Jul 19, 2011
Virginia
That base can hold a lot of liquid so rinse it out to get any residual juice out.

Was just about to mention this. A lot of the leaks with the subtank aren't real leaks. It's from a minor leak (over-priming, low juice level, or whatever), but the airflow base holds on to it and it slowly seeps out. The leak may already be addressed, but juice is still seeping out and that makes it seem like an on-going leak. Rinsing out the airflow tends to help me.

TexasComrade

Jan 12, 2016
I've also had the same problem where my tank would leak from the AFC while using OCC coils. When I switched to RBA the leaking stopped for a while. After about 2 coil rebuilds the leaking started again, only this time they were much worse. At first I was blaming my RBA rebuilding skills, but after several rebuilds and thorough investigating, I found the root of my problem. I've checked the all of the seals on the coil itself especially around the threads and found that while the tank was leaking the area around the threads was dry, which lead me to think that leaks was happening else where. I found that the leak in my case was happening where the top of the chimney would meet wit the inhaler tube. The o-ring on the chimney doesnt seem to seal well with that tube so if the tank is full it would leak until the juice was right below top of the RBA. This means that I cant have a full tank while using the RBA.
I hope this helps someone who is using an RBA with this mod. I've yet to try and solve this problem which will most likely require a new o-ring on the chimney top or a seal on the tube.

Cheers

Packer Rob

Dec 13, 2015
I posted this on the big subtank mini thread but I think it was overshadowed by all the other questions on there.

Anyway I just got my subtank mini last night and using the 1.2 ohm OCC on my istick 30w it is leaking! It keeps leaking juice from the airflow control collar. At first I thought it was because I was running it at low wattages (12-15) to warm it up but today I've been running it from 19-22 watts and every time I take it out of my pocket there is juice seeping from the air holes or the collar seams. One time during the day I removed it from my mod and there was juice on top of my istick!

What is going on?? Has anyone else had this happen with theirs? I heard the original subtank had leaking issues but I thought this was fixed with the mini and nano...
I'm new to vaping but had the same problem.Was told if you run it at too low of wattage it floods the cotton and causes leaks.

Reactions: David Wolf

mesamay2003

ECF Veteran
Jan 30, 2015
AZ, USA
I've got about 7 subtanks, some mini's and a few plus models...I've never had a leak on any of them, other than poor building issues (my fault) when I used the RBA...I stopped rebuilding as this isn't really a hobby for me, and the newer vertical OCC coils are so good and cheap. No dry hits, no leaks whatsoever...I did get dry hits with the older horizontal coil design.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread