Kanger Unitank and iTaste vv - third coil in 2 weeks, what am I doing wrong?

Status
Not open for further replies.

amoret

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 2, 2013
Sharon, ND, USA
Per the iTaste I have it set at 3.8 v, 6.5w and the tank is 2.0 ohms.
(I liked it better at 7.5w but turned it down after the first coil went.)

I really like the unitank, but am on my third coil already and I'll have had it two weeks tomorrow. I am also trying some top coil cleromizers and a cartomizer as I try out different juices, but really don't like them as well and find them harder to fill (plus I'll still need something glass for juices that don't play well with polycarbonate).

I have hand problems that rule out winding my own, and are the reason I picked this combination to start with. So, do I just need to order lots of coils? Am I doing something wrong that I haven't figured out yet?

While I'm here, recommendations on easy to fill glass cleromizers would be appreciated.

Bill's Magic Vapor

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 8, 2013
USA
A coil lasting a week is not bad at all. A lot depends on your juice, how much you vape, and your vape technique, not just the heat. Best way is to just pay the piper and enjoy the vape, imho. I replace my coils and carto's every one or two days. It's just the cost of vaping. Better yet, learn to recoil them. Very easy, costs only a few cents per coil, takes little time to do, replace as often as you like, keep the old coil heads, no need to clean any longer, vape any way you like at any temperature you like. Good luck!

State O' Flux

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 17, 2013
Seattle
Per the iTaste I have it set at 3.8 v, 6.5w and the tank is 2.0 ohms.
(I liked it better at 7.5w but turned it down after the first coil went.)
Too bad you aren't saying what is specifically wrong with the coil. Are the popping or gunked up or what? It looks like you're running too weak and they might be getting gunked up. Generally, I run 2.0Ω attys at 8-8.5w or 3.9-4-2v.

Recommendation? IBT Carto Tanks, with Boge or Ikenvape cartos.

amoret

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 2, 2013
Sharon, ND, USA
Too bad you aren't saying what is specifically wrong with the coil. Are the popping or gunked up or what? It looks like you're running too weak and they might be getting gunked up. Generally, I run 2.0Ω attys at 8-8.5w or 3.9-4-2v.

Recommendation? IBT Carto Tanks, with Boge or Ikenvape cartos.

Maybe I'm just too new at this, but I can't tell by looking what is wrong. They just stopped working and the iTaste showed "NON" where it shows ohms. So you suggest I try setting it higher?

amoret

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 2, 2013
Sharon, ND, USA
A coil lasting a week is not bad at all. A lot depends on your juice, how much you vape, and your vape technique, not just the heat. Best way is to just pay the piper and enjoy the vape, imho. I replace my coils and carto's every one or two days. It's just the cost of vaping. Better yet, learn to recoil them. Very easy, costs only a few cents per coil, takes little time to do, replace as often as you like, keep the old coil heads, no need to clean any longer, vape any way you like at any temperature you like. Good luck!

I suspect that recoiling would take more coordination than I have with numb hands. I have a hard enough time replacing them and filling the unitank, though it certainly sounds like the way to go otherwise.

pepperman18

Jun 30, 2013
kansas
according to the vape chart you can run that 2 ohm head at between 3v and 4.20v or if in watts 4.5w to 8.0 w
however it will depend on the kind of juice you are using. as for the reading of " NON " your coil may have broke.. or you have gotten a bad batch of heads... also check your center pin on the bottom of your tank it could be pushed in and not making good contact all of the time.

State O' Flux

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 17, 2013
Seattle
Maybe I'm just too new at this, but I can't tell by looking what is wrong. They just stopped working and the iTaste showed "NON" where it shows ohms. So you suggest I try setting it higher?
Aside from your settings being too low... I have to wonder if your 3.0s 510 center pin (positive contact) is a bit too deep for the Unitank.

See... Innokin is real fond of setting their 510 pins pretty deep in the connector. On the order of .170" (4.31mm) average for all (9 now I think, total products I've measured) the Innokin iTaste devices I have. The point is, if your Unitank center contact is just barely touching... it might show "NON" simply because the contact is inadequate for good circuit continuity.

You can try prying gently on the iTaste 510 center pin to see if you can raise it up... or, with pliers, gently pull the center coil tail retention pin down about 1/32" from the Unitank coil head assembly... in the hopes of improving the electrical contact.
If you get a resistance reading, you know your 510 pin is set pretty deep and you're going to have issues with short reaching positive contact attys.

Last edited:

State O' Flux

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 17, 2013
Seattle
Yes he is. All my fault. Vape wrong. Wrong juice, etc. Picky. Vape must never degrade, lol...., etc.
All love here too.
Or... everyone else is doing it wrong. You may be on the leading edge... the cusp of a brave new world... the pointy end of the vaping spear... the... sorry, I'm all out of cool sounding metaphors.
unknw.gif

Bill's Magic Vapor

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 8, 2013
USA
Or... everyone else is doing it wrong. You may be on the leading edge... the cusp of a brave new world... the pointy end of the vaping spear... the... sorry, I'm all out of cool sounding metaphors.
unknw.gif

Yeah, Mom used to say from the band stand, Look, little Billy is the only one marching in step. About the third time someone tells you, you're a horse, time to get a saddle.

DavidOck

ECF Guru
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Jan 3, 2013
Halfway to Paradise, WA

If the VV is showing "non", it's not seeing anything on top, not seeing a coil. Either the coil has failed by actually burning out like a lightbulb - not real likely at your stated power levels - or you've just lost connection. In which case you need to make sure the coil is tight to the base. Many toppers can slightly unscrew it when taking apart for refill. Or you may have overtightened, and pushed the center pin on the unitank up a tad, and putting a new head in fixes it for awhile.

But if it shows non, it's just not going to fire, no matter what power level, as the battery doesn't sense a coil at all.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread