Status
Not open for further replies.

AtmizrOpin

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 18, 2015
Pennsylvania

In the video above about 29min in, Daniel was doing cotton burn tests with Ni200 and Ti. Not only did it burn the cotton in the coils but it torched the coils with temps exceeding 1,200 degrees f. We are well beyond cotton burn tests. These are COIL BURN TESTS!

Right now I am set at 60W @ 260 deg f and receiving a vape comparable to a DNA200 @ 480 deg f. If I take two back to back the second one is hotter! Temp control is a total failure and all over the map in these preorder units. I preordered two of them 2 days apart. Received 1 and was informed the other would be delayed in shipping from Kanger in china until at least 11/17 with expected delivery at end of month. Kanger obviously must have shut down product to fix the problem I HOPE!

his video is what makes me ask for a cotton test. i was thinking maybe his temp probe was bunching up the coil when he screwed it back into the mod creating shorts thus causing coil hot spots. thats why im asking for a simple CBT. but if you say 260 feels like 480 then.....ya, no bueno.

Gummy Bare

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 2, 2012
San Diego, California
My stock ni coil reads .26 ohms, as such a babied it last night. So far running nicely at 400F 45W.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N920A using Tapatalk

My stick Ni coil is reading 0.38ohms. Not sure what's up with that. I'm new to TC, so this is all kinda weird.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Tpat591

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 28, 2014
RB nj
My stick Ni coil is reading 0.38ohms. Not sure what's up with that. I'm new to TC, so this is all kinda weird.

Coil must be at room temp to calibrate. unscrew base from mod, press fire button so display reads resist at 9.99. Reinstall base press fire button to see if you get a better reading.

Tpat591

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 28, 2014
RB nj
his video is what makes me ask for a cotton test. i was thinking maybe his temp probe was bunching up the coil when he screwed it back into the mod creating shorts thus causing coil hot spots. thats why im asking for a simple CBT. but if you say 260 feels like 480 then.....ya, no bueno.
Bru2basics gave you sort of a dry burn test. 350 deg f on empty tank torched cotton and oxidized his titanium coil!

Bru2basics

Verified Member
Oct 13, 2015

well my coil was wicked and in normal use. I vaped it dry and proceeded to fire the mod at 350°f and that's my results in the photo. And the bright red glow down the chimney was a bit of a give away!:D
On a serious note though I'm guessing I was not far off the flash point of titanium which is really scary as I do not fancy having a chemical metal fire on my hands.

If I were new to temperature control I would be putting this mod down and taking a step back atleast till we know Wat the deal is with it. I would really hate to see someone get hurt by one of these things and then we really will be giving the legislators a free pass to ban everything.

Imagine the headline " e cig explodes in vapers face and causes permanent disfigurement " they obviously won't mention he was an ugly f@#$*r to begin with:lol:

Last edited:

Gummy Bare

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 2, 2012
San Diego, California
I'm glad I found this thread. You guys seem to have things handled very well is testing this mod abilities and showing the outcome.

I picked up a blue NEBOX and set it up this weekend. It had a horrible glue\plastic smell to it when I got it. I ended up washing the tank section out and letting it "air out" for a day before I could even bring myself to throw juice in it.

I tried to stay away from the TC game as long as I could due to all the issues in general with the various devices that were coming out. I even have a few devices that claim to be TC, but aren't (they work fine for me in normal wattage mode though, which is the only way I was gonna use them anyway).... Now it looks like yet again I've gotten a device that claims to be TC, but isn't. The problem is this time I was counting on using it as a TC device.

I've been using it for two days now and am on the fence about it for sure. I'm running the Ni coil that came with it. It is supposed to be a 0.15ohm coil, but the mod shows the resistance as 0.38ohms. That's far from correct. I understand that Ni coils will rise in resistance during use, but from what I've read about most TC mods is you "lock in" the Ni coils resistance when you first install it. I saw this mentioned in this thread as well, but from the reviews I've seen I thought the NEBOX automatically locked the resistance in when you install a new coil. Did I miss something here? Am I doing something wrong?

I've been playing with the temp and wattage settings trying to find a "sweet spot" for a good vape, but am having trouble finding one. The vape from it seems kinda airy and dry. Not thick and wet like my crown tank gives me.

Do I maybe need to try and remove the coil, then install it again and tell it it's a new coil to try and get the correct response from this thing?

Reactions: Bru2basics

Bru2basics

Verified Member
Oct 13, 2015
I'm glad I found this thread. You guys seem to have things handled very well is testing this mod abilities and showing the outcome.

I picked up a blue NEBOX and set it up this weekend. It had a horrible glue\plastic smell to it when I got it. I ended up washing the tank section out and letting it "air out" for a day before I could even bring myself to throw juice in it.

I tried to stay away from the TC game as long as I could due to all the issues in general with the various devices that were coming out. I even have a few devices that claim to be TC, but aren't (they work fine for me in normal wattage mode though, which is the only way I was gonna use them anyway).... Now it looks like yet again I've gotten a device that claims to be TC, but isn't. The problem is this time I was counting on using it as a TC device.

I've been using it for two days now and am on the fence about it for sure. I'm running the Ni coil that came with it. It is supposed to be a 0.15ohm coil, but the mod shows the resistance as 0.38ohms. That's far from correct. I understand that Ni coils will rise in resistance during use, but from what I've read about most TC mods is you "lock in" the Ni coils resistance when you first install it. I saw this mentioned in this thread as well, but from the reviews I've seen I thought the NEBOX automatically locked the resistance in when you install a new coil. Did I miss something here? Am I doing something wrong?

I've been playing with the temp and wattage settings trying to find a "sweet spot" for a good vape, but am having trouble finding one. The vape from it seems kinda airy and dry. Not thick and wet like my crown tank gives me.

Do I maybe need to try and remove the coil, then install it again and tell it it's a new coil to try and get the correct response from this thing?

No mate you ain't doing anything wrong it's the device. I see the resistance rose higher on my coils the more it burnt so if I was you I would be closely inspecting that ni200 coil before continuing use. This is what really annoys me about temperature control, we tell everyone it's marvellous and much safer and then a major player in the industry comes along and sells this steaming heap of s@*t.
When a device works in tc it's bloody brilliant so don't be put off by this poor excuse for a mod. If you want an affordable tc device that ticks just about all the boxes go buy the joyetech vtc mini, I will be the first to admit there may have been a couple of early teething probs but it's still a stunning little device but if you want an all in one then unfortunately like me were outta luck..

Tpat591

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 28, 2014
RB nj

Saw that review - Reviewers get a lot of things wrong. There are only about 4 of them I trust & even Busardo makes mistakes. To lock in resistance in this mod as accurately as it can manage: Coil must be at room temp to calibrate. unscrew base from mod, press fire button so display reads resist at 9.99. Reinstall base press fire button to see if you get a better reading.

As a first foray into TC this was an unfortunate mistake by Kanger. They will fix it, but they screwed up big time. It happens. Other the TC issue, plastic tank & button rattle, I actually like the device.

Finding a sweet spot on this is tough as it moves around and gets hotter with back to back vapes, but I've been at about 50w, 250 deg F with a Ti 0.26ohm RBA coil reading 0.28ohm on mod display.

Expecting working units out in market by end of month but that is a guess only.

I agree with Bru2basics - if you want a cheap reliable well built device for TC, the Evic VTC is way to go until they get off their butts and make an egrip version of it. You wont find a better starter TC mod out there but like any other mod, there will always be a few with some issues. Very small amount of evics have an anemic vape issue.

Gummy Bare

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 2, 2012
San Diego, California
No mate you ain't doing anything wrong it's the device. I see the resistance rose higher on my coils the more it burnt so if I was you I would be closely inspecting that ni200 coil before continuing use. This is what really annoys me about temperature control, we tell everyone it's marvellous and much safer and then a major player in the industry comes along and sells this steaming heap of s@*t.
When a device works in tc it's bloody brilliant so don't be put off by this poor excuse for a mod. If you want an affordable tc device that ticks just about all the boxes go buy the joyetech vtc mini, I will be the first to admit there may have been a couple of early teething probs but it's still a stunning little device but if you want an all in one then unfortunately like me were outta luck..
Saw that review - Reviewers get a lot of things wrong. There are only about 4 of them I trust & even Busardo makes mistakes. To lock in resistance in this mod as accurately as it can manage: Coil must be at room temp to calibrate. unscrew base from mod, press fire button so display reads resist at 9.99. Reinstall base press fire button to see if you get a better reading.

As a first foray into TC this was an unfortunate mistake by Kanger. They will fix it, but they screwed up big time. It happens. Other the TC issue, plastic tank & button rattle, I actually like the device.

Finding a sweet spot on this is tough as it moves around and gets hotter with back to back vapes, but I've been at about 50w, 250 deg F with a Ti 0.26ohm RBA coil reading 0.28ohm on mod display.

Expecting working units out in market by end of month but that is a guess only.

I agree with Bru2basics - if you want a cheap reliable well built device for TC, the Evic VTC is way to go until they get off their butts and make an egrip version of it. You wont find a better starter TC mod out there but like any other mod, there will always be a few with some issues. Very small amount of evics have an anemic vape issue.

Thanks for the info guys. I popped the coil out, fired it, popped it back in, and told the device it was a new coil. It now reads 0.23ohms. Still off, but definitely closer.

Think I might just try out the no TC coil tonight and see if I can get a decent vape out of this thing. Either that, or see if I can get a refund from the online shop I bought it from. This Ni coil hasn't had good flavor from the start. I get way better flavor from my crown subtank with the air flow wide open.

Tpat591

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 28, 2014
RB nj
Thanks for the info guys. I popped the coil out, fired it, popped it back in, and told the device it was a new coil. It now reads 0.23ohms. Still off, but definitely closer.

Think I might just try out the no TC coil tonight and see if I can get a decent vape out of this thing. Either that, or see if I can get a refund from the online shop I bought it from. This Ni coil hasn't had good flavor from the start. I get way better flavor from my crown subtank with the air flow wide open.

As per Daniel's review it is a very accurate device in standard wattage mode. TC is beyond its capabilities at the moment. You should be very pleased in wattage mode and you can use the old square kanthal coils in that mode without issue reportedly.

Tpat591

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 28, 2014
RB nj
I had the problem with it rising every time I had pulled the coil, thought it was cold, reinstalled and reread resistance. Didn't get mine to within 0.02ohm against as built resistance until I woke up next morning and recalibrated before I used it.

Think it is not only coil temp, but board temp contributes to the inaccurate resistance reading in temp mode. Never tried non temp mode so no idea if rising resistance reading issue occurs when non temp coil at room temp (or not at room temp) is installed in Kanthal mode.

Last edited:

Bru2basics

Verified Member
Oct 13, 2015
I had the problem with it rising every time I had pulled the coil, thought it was cold, reinstalled and reread resistance. Didn't get mine to within 0.02ohm against as built resistance until I woke up next morning and recalibrated before I used it.

Think it is not only coil temp, but board temp contributes to the inaccurate resistance reading in temp mode. Never tried non temp mode so no idea if rising resistance reading issue occurs when non temp coil at room temp is installed in Kanthal mode.

I ask as I noticed mine crept up the closer I got to vaping it dry and by the time I'd finished and it was glowing it had gone from .27ohm up to .37 ohms so I assumed it was to do with the ti oxidising and altering the materials properties. Can't get rid of the stench in my tank from that dry burn, stupid plastic tank!

Reactions: Tpat591

Tpat591

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 28, 2014
RB nj
Exactly why I never would have torched that coil just to test it when I already knew the outcome was a given - but I chose not to say that at the time. Didn't want to put the idea in your head and force your imagination to amplify the taste beyond what it actually was. Resistance rises with temp. Actually surprised the mod showed that before you pulled the coil & reinstalled after clearing out set resistance as mine never did.

Bru2basics

Verified Member
Oct 13, 2015
Exactly why I never would have torched that coil just to test it when I already knew the outcome was a given - but I chose not to say that at the time. Didn't want to put the idea in your head and force your imagination to amplify the taste beyond what it actually was. Resistance rises with temp. Actually surprised the mod showed that before you pulled the coil & reinstalled after clearing out set resistance as mine never did.

Lol teach me for being a smart .... won't it, I don't fancy the chances of ever replacing one of these tanks either. You saw the mess Daniel got into with his strip down!? I thought I had been hit by a bus!

I took out the rba a couple of times when the tank was getting dry as I feared what the coil was doing and when it went back in I got the new/same message obviously choose same but the resistance always locked back in at a higher value not the original!? Did I cause this then? I know it does not show the dynamic res like the vtc but I assumed that the higher reading was due to temp of the wire hence higher res and that it would drop once fired but that never happened.

Tpat591

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 28, 2014
RB nj
Lol teach me for being a smart .... won't it, I don't fancy the chances of ever replacing one of these tanks either. You saw the mess Daniel got into with his strip down!? I thought I had been hit by a bus!

I took out the rba a couple of times when the tank was getting dry as I feared what the coil was doing and when it went back in I got the new/same message obviously choose same but the resistance always locked back in at a higher value not the original!? Did I cause this then? I know it does not show the dynamic res like the vtc but I assumed that the higher reading was due to temp of the wire hence higher res and that it would drop once fired but that never happened.
I believe that coil would have torched in that manner no matter what you did in all honesty. I have been busy with other issues in my life which are stressing in themselves so I haven't had a lot of time to devote to the mod & its intricacies. I believe what you did was prudent for your own health with what you intended besides forgetting that the byproducts of combustion inside the chamber, will settle on the walls & top cap of the RBA, and the chimney in a major way. Provided all was buttoned up tight the exposure inside the tank should be minimal and probably be easily expunged with a good cleaning of the tank and chimney with a brush & a little elbow grease concentrating primarily on the chimney, chamber and drip tip.

Yes this mod does not appear to lend itself toward user serviceability and malfunctioning units are better left to the RMA process of the manufacturer rather than the standard user tinkering we have all grown accustomed to rather that follow that RMA process.

Kaiser Bob

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 3, 2013
Denver, CO
Ok so I was playing with the TC on mine and it's screwed. I backed down to 200 F 45W and it was cranking out vapor @ 25 ish W like it was set to 350-400 then out of nowhere it acts 'right' and won't go above 8W no vapor, then it's back to 25-30W...

*then I set watts to 25 and it starts behaving consistently, for now...

Bru2basics

Verified Member
Oct 13, 2015
I believe that coil would have torched in that manner no matter what you did in all honesty. I have been busy with other issues in my life which are stressing in themselves so I haven't had a lot of time to devote to the mod & its intricacies. I believe what you did was prudent for your own health with what you intended besides forgetting that the byproducts of combustion inside the chamber, will settle on the walls & top cap of the RBA, and the chimney in a major way. Provided all was buttoned up tight the exposure inside the tank should be minimal and probably be easily expunged with a good cleaning of the tank and chimney with a brush & a little elbow grease concentrating primarily on the chimney, chamber and drip tip.

Yes this mod does not appear to lend itself toward user serviceability and malfunctioning units are better left to the RMA process of the manufacturer rather than the standard user tinkering we have all grown accustomed to rather that follow that RMA process.

No worries mate it does feel like were expending a large chunk of our time on these mods of late. I hope things start to get bit less stressful for you, life has a funny habit of kicking us while we're down.

Bru2basics

Verified Member
Oct 13, 2015
Ok so I was playing with the TC on mine and it's screwed. I backed down to 200 F 45W and it was cranking out vapor @ 25 ish W like it was set to 350-400 then out of nowhere it acts 'right' and won't go above 8W no vapor, then it's back to 25-30W...

*then I set watts to 25 and it starts behaving consistently, for now...

Yeah your right the tc is most definitely screwed. I just ain't prepared to risk igniting titanium in that little chamber no more. It would be like inhaling a firework! Back to my egrip for my work mod till kanger gets this sorted. It's this kinda s@#t that almost makes me wanna smoke again:nah:.

Kaiser Bob

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 3, 2013
Denver, CO
Yeah your right the tc is most definitely screwed. I just ain't prepared to risk igniting titanium in that little chamber no more. It would be like inhaling a firework! Back to my egrip for my work mod till kanger gets this sorted. It's this kinda s@#t that almost makes me wanna smoke again:nah:.

Just almost right? I don't blame you re: titanium, I'm not too worried about these nickel coils so long as I keep mindful of not going dry, I'll probably just build an SS coil and relegate it to VW status as I like the form and function and I gave my VTC mini/Tfv4 mini to the wife! Whatever, there are other single TC mod candidates to look forward to for the black friday/Christmas season.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread