Kayfun Build Help

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gonzi

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 6, 2014
Marietta, GA, USA
All I vape on now are my Russian 91% and my KFL clone with clear kit. I always use 30 gauge Kanthal, do a micro coil 6 wrap on a 3/32 drill bit to about 1.4 - 1.6 ohm and stuffed with enough cotton to reach the bottom of the deck, PBusardo style, but coil less packed. This has been my tried and true setup since I got my Russian in November. This morning I tried a dual coil on my KFL clone for the first time, did a double barrel shotgun, 10 wrap each with 30gauge around 1/16" needle, totaled out at .8ohm. Juicy, warm and mouthwatering thick vape!!!!! IMG_1397[1].jpg

Kent Brooks

Resting In Peace
ECF Veteran
Apr 24, 2013
Omaha, Nebraska, United States
www.nicoticket.com
All I vape on now are my Russian 91% and my KFL clone with clear kit. I always use 30 gauge Kanthal, do a micro coil 6 wrap on a 3/32 drill bit to about 1.4 - 1.6 ohm and stuffed with enough cotton to reach the bottom of the deck, PBusardo style, but coil less packed. This has been my tried and true setup since I got my Russian in November. This morning I tried a dual coil on my KFL clone for the first time, did a double barrel shotgun, 10 wrap each with 30gauge around 1/16" needle, totaled out at .8ohm. Juicy, warm and mouthwatering thick vape!!!!! View attachment 310349

Sorry for the poor quality, here's another picture straight through the drip tip. View attachment 310365

Nice tight coil!

EmE247

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 8, 2014
Los Angeles, CA
Greetings ECF.

New to vaping. New to coils and building on RBA's. Built for the first time yesterday. Single micro coil last night w/ 28 kanthal, 5/62 drill bit, 8-9 coils. 1.35 Ohm. Pretty ez after doing all the homework on the forum and youtube.

Anyways, would like to get pointers. Instead of trying to figure it out while building. I know there are apps out there, but still would like to understand the basics.

1. I used 28 Kanthal. If I used 26 Kanthal with the same build, would I have <, >, or = ohms?
2. I used a 5/62 drillbit. If I used a smaller drill bit, would I have <, >, or = ohms?
3. I used about 8-9 wraps on the drillbit. If I wrapped less, like 5-6 wraps, would I have <, >, or = ohms?
4. With the same setup build as my first, if I tried to dual coil then would I have had 1/2 the ohms? Think around .675 ohms?

Thanks for the help in advance.

Last edited:

Kevin33

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 19, 2014
Kaiserslautern, Germany
Greetings ECF.

New to vaping. New to coils and building on RBA's. Built for the first time yesterday. Single micro coil last night w/ 28 kanthal, 5/62 drill bit, 8-9 coils. 1.35 Ohm. Pretty ez after doing all the homework on the forum and youtube.

Anyways, would like to get pointers. Instead of trying to figure it out while building. I know there are apps out there, but still would like to understand the basics.

1. I used 28 Kanthal. If I used 26 Kanthal with the same build, would I have <, >, or = ohms?
2. I used a 5/62 drillbit. If I used a smaller drill bit, would I have <, >, or = ohms?
3. I used about 8-9 wraps on the drillbit. If I wrapped less, like 5-6 wraps, would I have <, >, or = ohms?
4. With the same setup build as my first, if I tried to dual coil then would I have had 1/2 the ohms? Think around .675 ohms?

Hi. The more mass of the coil the more resistance. Adding either length (coils) or gauge will increase the resistance.

1. Less
2. Less
3. Less
4. Correct, 1/2

Here is an ohm calculator. You can plug your data in and then change one variable, such as wire gauge and see what happens. PV Web Apps

Hope this helps. That and you should buy some Nicoticket juice. Best. Juice. Ever. I'm really enjoying their fruit juices the last 30 minutes, but I feel a change in the wind coming up, I'll probably hit up some H1N1 in a few minutes, and then back to the fruit. They smashed the 2013 ECF awards for best juice, best vendor and best forum profile avatar.

Last edited:

Kevin33

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 19, 2014
Kaiserslautern, Germany
Please help me understand this.

28 gauge kanthal is thicker then 30 gauge kanthal. 28 gauge gives lower ohms? So wouldn't the thicker 28 gauge be more mass?

Oh yeah. That's just how I always think of it. Thicker wire (more mass) allows electricity to pass freer, which lowers the resistance. I guess I think of it backwards, the answers are still correct though.

keithu2

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 13, 2013
Honolulu, HI, USA
Oh yeah. That's just how I always think of it. Thicker wire (more mass) allows electricity to pass freer, which lowers the resistance. I guess I think of it backwards, the answers are still correct though.

Or, think of a water hose: At the same pressure a larger diameter hose will let the water flow more freely while a smaller diameter hose will restrict the flow.
More info. can be found in the rebuildable' threads.

Kevin33

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 19, 2014
Kaiserslautern, Germany
Or, think of a water hose: At the same pressure a larger diameter hose will let the water flow more freely while a smaller diameter hose will restrict the flow.
More info. can be found in the rebuildable' threads.

I think I will always have to guess, test and use a calculator, if I am not copying someone else's coil. I generally stick to two wire sizes and make small adjustments, if any, and they are always in the safe range of 1.1 to 1.8. Just always in my head if I am planning something, I think something like, "Okay, I could do a non-micro double coil and go *up* to 30 for less wraps". But then when I build, I guess, test and/or check. Who knows.

Kent Brooks

Resting In Peace
ECF Veteran
Apr 24, 2013
www.nicoticket.com
Greetings ECF.

Hello and welcome to ECF! Sounds like you are off to a great start and have some quality answers above.

In as much as I would love to provide a one-stop-shop for "rebuilding" - we have to steer this discussion toward "Building a Kayfun to get the best out of Nicoticket eLiquids" or we run the risk of getting it moved, deleted, or heavily moderated. I'm going lay low on moderating it for now, but no one wants to get their hand slapped so I am going to "try to get it back on track" (if possible).

Again, welcome to ECF Eme247 - stop in and say hello anytime!~

ScandaLeX

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 6, 2013
PhiLLy
Ok so I took one of my Kayfuns, dismantled the whole thing & put it in hot soapy water for 30 min.

Started from scratch. Decided to go with yarn cause I was too lazy to get up & get the cotton. :D

Wrapped my coil. Came out at 2.5Ω's. Anything lower was what I was doing before & the results were abysmal.

Instead of a single strand of yarn I did the letter S shape. Made sure I used a nice long length so I'd have enough when I put the chimney back together. Cut it at the top, pushed down, added juice & DAYUM!!!!

Fired fantastically!
Vapor looks like my avatar.
Flavor taste like dry dirt.....
Back to the drawing board.

Sent from a BIG phone.....Galaxy Note 3

Kent Brooks

Resting In Peace
ECF Veteran
Apr 24, 2013
www.nicoticket.com
Ok so I took one of my Kayfuns, dismantled the whole thing & put it in hot soapy water for 30 min.

Started from scratch. Decided to go with yarn cause I was too lazy to get up & get the cotton. :D

Wrapped my coil. Came out at 2.5Ω's. Anything lower was what I was doing before & the results were abysmal.

Instead of a single strand of yarn I did the letter S shape. Made sure I used a nice long length so I'd have enough when I put the chimney back together. Cut it at the top, pushed down, added juice & DAYUM!!!!

Fired fantastically!
Vapor looks like my avatar.
Flavor taste like dry dirt.....
Back to the drawing board.

Sent from a BIG phone.....Galaxy Note 3

Might work better with Horchata in it?

EmE247

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 8, 2014
Los Angeles, CA
Hello and welcome to ECF! Sounds like you are off to a great start and have some quality answers above.

In as much as I would love to provide a one-stop-shop for "rebuilding" - we have to steer this discussion toward "Building a Kayfun to get the best out of Nicoticket eLiquids" or we run the risk of getting it moved, deleted, or heavily moderated. I'm going lay low on moderating it for now, but no one wants to get their hand slapped so I am going to "try to get it back on track" (if possible).

Again, welcome to ECF Eme247 - stop in and say hello anytime!~

Sorry bout that. Thanks for understanding and taking it ez on me. :)

New to vaping, rebuilding, and these forums. :)

Kent Brooks

Resting In Peace
ECF Veteran
Apr 24, 2013
www.nicoticket.com
Sorry bout that. Thanks for understanding and taking it ez on me. :)

New to vaping, rebuilding, and these forums. :)

No worries. ECF is very dedicated to making sure the information is organized. For what it's worth, I have trouble keeping up with a single sub, it's hard to imagine having to organize this madhouse into a collection of useful information that everyone can use. I generally don't get ....-hurt about much.

Now, send me that Paps X so i can ensure it gets approval an an offical NT deliver device. :) :evil:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread