Kayfun lite V2 plus help needed!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

KingVaroon

Jan 14, 2015
Fullerton, CA
Hi all :)

I understand this section of the forum is meant to introduce oneself but I desperately need help with this tank.

I've been vaping for about 2 years now.

I own the following:

Mods: Brass Chi You clone by HCigar, Stainless Templar clone by HCigar, Chrome Nemesis clone by Infinite, Stainless Caravela clone by HCigar, Stainless exterior/Copper interior Stingray X clone by Infinite
Drips: Igo-W, Vulcan RDA (not clone)
tanks: Kayfun 3.1 clone by EHpro, Kayfun lite V2 plus (dual air holes) clone by EHpro

I LOVE my Kayfun 3.1 clone. Been using it for about a year and a half now, build my own coils (28 gauge A1 Kanthal, 4 wraps around 3/32 drill bit, CVS orgranic cotton wick, no clue how much resistance that is but produces GREAT flavor and vape).

I recently purchased the Kayfun lite V2 plus out of my pure love for kayfuns, been about 3 weeks. I was having dry hits, burnt hits issues when using the same build I use in my 3.1. So I added one more wrap thinking maybe its burning up the juice too fast, problem didn't go away. Now I'm up to 6 wraps, the flavor seems to have gotten slightly better but nowhere near as good as my 3.1.

What am I doing wrong? I'm running it on the stingray x clone (3.1 runs on the vela)

Initially I thought maybe its too much airflow so I tried closing up one of the airholes to create more suction but it only increased the flavor oh so slightly. I've tried using more/less wick but the flavor is still rather dry compared to the 3.1. My very first build on it was great but I have not been able to reproduce the same flavor/vape combo since.

Can anybody please provide any advice/help?

Thanks in advance

keepsmiling

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 8, 2014
Florida
I recommend a multimeter or at least an ohm meter to start. Vaping and not having a clue if there is a short, or where your ohms are is not a good combination. You don't even have a regulated device to check it with.
I don't think kayfuns generally like builds of 4 wraps. More in the 8/9 range. Is this a used atty or new? Is it possible it needs new o rings or insulators?{rebuild}

roxynoodle

Unregistered Supplier
ECF Veteran
Jun 19, 2014
Ohio
Be careful subohming on Kayfuns. You might have a melted insulator. There are two; one is under the positive block, and the other keeps the 510 pin from shorting on the "tunnel" its in. These are delrin, not Peek so best to stay above 0.8 ohms.

Unscrew your 510 pin. That will also allow the positive block to come off, and check the insulators. One or both may be burned or melted, affecting the taste of your juice. The good news is they are easy to source and inexpensive.

Monotremata

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 15, 2014
Fontana, CA
monotremata.bandcamp.com
Honestly I dont think the Lites were really meant for subohming or even more wattage than say 12-13w.. Ever try hitting one at 20 or 30w? Its not pleasant at all, and burns your wick in half. I run the two of mine (an Infinite and an EHPro) from 1.4-1.8 ohms depending on how my coil comes out, and usually keep it set right at 12w. To be honest, my EHPro gives out bigger clouds and a much cooler vape than my new Kayfun 4 does. I struggled with dry hits on my first few tanks but then started using a 'trick' to get the wicking perfect. My coils in the KFLs are all 29ga, 5/64" around 8 wraps. 5/64" is the perfect size for the ball of cotton yarn I got at Joanns, it slides right through without being too snug, and once juiced up fills the coil perfectly. The key to the wick is before you trim it, put the chimney back on, pull the tails of the wick up to the top and trim them right at the top of the chimney. At least in my experience, this makes the tails the perfect length. They rest right on top of the build deck, and once their juiced you can push them flat against the blocks and you should have a great time after that..

Monotremata

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 15, 2014
Fontana, CA
monotremata.bandcamp.com
I used to have one, and it always worked perfectly.

Oh that thing is STILL working beautifully Roxy! ;) I hate to say it but the Kayfun 4 cant even touch it yet, that EHPro I got from you is probably my perfect atty both flavor and vaporwise.. I made a killer batch of some watermelon juice a couple weeks ago that was vaping so awesome in it, Ive even been neglecting the poor Magma I just got a few weeks back haha.. Come to think of it, the hot vape that comes off the KF4 reminds me of the heat that comes off the Magma.. EHPro is still #1 there too, but then again Ive only had the 4 for a couple days now, and its the first time Ive made a coil below 1 ohm so...

KingVaroon

Jan 14, 2015
Fullerton, CA
I used to have one, and it always worked perfectly.

Obviously you're not a newbie to wicking a kayfun so I figured its not a wicking problem. And it was working fine and now its not? Other than the insulator or wicking, I really can't think of any reason for that ???

Just curious, have you tried recoiling?

Yes, the very first time I built it, it worked like a charm. I've re built it many times since.

This morning I snipped off some of the cotton (off the sides, not the bottom, to make it thinner than what I usually put in) and it's wicking better now? I figured doing so would allow the cotton to wick faster and keep up with the rate of airflow.

I wonder if this might be what needs to be done since its got a dual air flow? Put in thinner wicks? Any thoughts?

roxynoodle

Unregistered Supplier
ECF Veteran
Jun 19, 2014
Ohio
Yes, the very first time I built it, it worked like a charm. I've re built it many times since.

This morning I snipped off some of the cotton (off the sides, not the bottom, to make it thinner than what I usually put in) and it's wicking better now? I figured doing so would allow the cotton to wick faster and keep up with the rate of airflow.

I wonder if this might be what needs to be done since its got a dual air flow? Put in thinner wicks? Any thoughts?

Not sure. The first one I had here was a kfl+ (authentic) with one airhole. It was a friend's so I had to give it back. I bought the two airhole EHPro, which Monotremata has now. I did them both the same. The kayfuns were the first rtas I ever built and vaped.

I just managed to collect up quite a few tanks and found some that suited me more than the kayfun, which is why I passed mine on. I could tell it wasn't going to get as much use anymore.

It seemed to me the only difference between the 2 kayfuns is my EHPro had an easier draw.

My build was a larger coil, 3/32" (2.4mm). Cut the wicks at the top of the chimney and gently tuck them down. Just tuck them so they aren't all the way down to the channels. I use the same build in the Lemo, and my friend has been using my build in all her kayfuns for months now.

HecticEnergy

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 24, 2014
TX, USA
I have a lite v2 (infinite i think) and it works great... when I use it - I generally drip (Reo!) I have it sitting on a mech built at 1.2-1.6 wicked with ReadyXWick. I've got a 50/50 or 60/40 juice in there, so no "Clowds" but great flavor. My build in there is 28ga on either a 3/32 or 7/64... idr - for a long while I was building 7/64, but recently switched back to 3/32 and I cant remember if I've rebuilt it since then.

KingVaroon

Jan 14, 2015
Fullerton, CA
Not sure. The first one I had here was a kfl+ (authentic) with one airhole. It was a friend's so I had to give it back. I bought the two airhole EHPro, which Monotremata has now. I did them both the same. The kayfuns were the first rtas I ever built and vaped.

I just managed to collect up quite a few tanks and found some that suited me more than the kayfun, which is why I passed mine on. I could tell it wasn't going to get as much use anymore.

It seemed to me the only difference between the 2 kayfuns is my EHPro had an easier draw.

My build was a larger coil, 3/32" (2.4mm). Cut the wicks at the top of the chimney and gently tuck them down. Just tuck them so they aren't all the way down to the channels. I use the same build in the Lemo, and my friend has been using my build in all her kayfuns for months now.

That's how I wick mine too.

My 3.1 gives me great flavor and a nice cloud with this setup (28ga 4 wraps 3/32, about 1/4 cotton off a cvs cotton ball). Same setup on the V2 plus just drys up quick (puts out a nice cloud though)

I'm currently running the V2 with 6 wraps. Going to rebuild it with 5 wraps and a thinner strand of cotton for wicking. Hopefully that works the magic.

KingVaroon

Jan 14, 2015
Fullerton, CA
Thanks roxynoodle and keepsmiling :) I appreciate all the help but I think it might have been the juice? (unicorn milk by cuttwood) which is strange because I've been smoking it for almost a year now on my 3.1 just fine.

I rebuilt my coil last night 28ga 5wraps around 3/32 this time, wicked it thin with unicorn milk. I was getting good clouds but the flavor was barely there. I got home from work today and switched out the wick to how much cotton I regularly put and poured in a different juice (mafia princess by smax) and its hitting great now! flavor and cloud. So far I've only tried 4 juices on it and the ones with more VG seem to get great flavor, the more runny ones just dry out quick. I'm still stumped because I see no reason for this on any kafyun. Gonna try a high PG juice after this and see if anything changes. I'm hoping it was just my wicking.

Thanks for all the help once again both of you!

edit: could it be the mod perhaps?(stingray x uses an adapter instead of a 510 so it delivers more more power)

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread