Kayfun RTA's

Status
Not open for further replies.

ligyron

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 28, 2014
Lake Worth, FL
I generally used drippers exclusively but I need something a little more portable. Kayfun's seem to get good reviews and I'm looking at EHpro clones since I can't afford the original. I almost always wrap coils using 24 g wire as I got sick of burning them out and have yet to have one of that thick get fried. I have 26, 28 and 30 g to wrap w tho'.

I usually sub ohm around .5 and I assume one can do that OK w a RTA?

There are so many Kayfun versions it confusing. Anybody care to clue me in on what a good choice would be?

Having a large juice capacity is nice but not essential. I just want one that doesn't leak or have so small a deck it's ridiculous to build on.

All opinions are welcome and I sure would appreciate some advise.

Thanks!

DaveP

PV Master & Musician
ECF Veteran
May 22, 2010
Central GA
The tight draw of most Kayfuns is good for MTL vaping, but the newer Kayfun 5 has widely adjustable air control to it most vaping styles.

I vape around .5 to 1.0 ohm on my Kayfun Lite Plus V2's. For me, 24ga wire would be too heavy since I vape in the 10w to 15w range.

I usually wrap a 28ga coil with 8 turns on a 2.5mm coil rod for .8 ohms. I guess you'd call that a 8/8 wrap since the legs end up facing away from each other. Installing the coil on a Kayfun is easy. I just leave it on the coil rod with the legs facing down and screw the coil deck down on one of those coil resistance meters that come in the flat box style. That gives you two hands to install the coil with legs facing down. Wrap each screw and tighten, then use the rod to pull the coil up to ensure that a leg doesn't short across the gap between the posts and you're done.

Steam Engine is a good place to experiment with coil creation.
Coil wrapping | Steam Engine | free vaping calculators

Last edited:

stols001

Moved On
ECF Veteran
May 30, 2017
I think you could use a kayfun for your needs, I believe the Kayfun v5 is said to be the airiest vape.

You will certainly get longer life from your coils, by using a rebuildable coil tank. How much you need to rewick will depend on the type of juices you use and wick material (rayon lasts longer, seems to be the consensus, although I like it as I find it easier to work with. However, even if using cotton wicks the cost savings should be fairly significant.

Anna

• Agree
Reactions: Heartsdelight

Maestro

ECF Veteran
Feb 19, 2012
Windsor, Ontario
The tight draw of most Kayfuns is good for MTL vaping, but the newer Kayfun 5 has widely adjustable air control to it most vaping styles.

I vape around .5 to 1.0 ohm on my Kayfun Lite Plus V2's. For me, 24ga wire would be too heavy since I vape in the 10w to 15w range.

I usually wrap a 28ga coil with 8 turns on a 2.5mm coil rod for .8 ohms. I guess you'd call that a 8/8 wrap since the legs end up facing away from each other. Installing the coil on a Kayfun is easy. I just leave it on the coil rod with the legs facing down and screw the coil deck down on one of those coil resistance meters that come in the flat box style. That gives you two hands to install the coil with legs facing down. Wrap each screw and tighten, then use the rod to pull the coil up to ensure that a leg doesn't short across the gap between the posts and you're done.

Steam Engine is a good place to experiment with coil creation.
Coil wrapping | Steam Engine | free vaping calculators
That would be an 8/7 wrap. An 8/8 wrap would have both legs pointing the same way. Just picture a 1/0 wrap as opposed to a 1/1 wrap.

ShaneR42

ECF Veteran
Jun 5, 2016
Based just on what you've written, I'm not really sure if a Kayfun is what you're after. Are you looking to move to a MTL style of vaping? Restricted, or very restricted, DTL draw? If you're looking for the same type experience you get with your drippers, but in an RTA, you should probably look at other options.

ligyron

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 28, 2014
Lake Worth, FL
Thank you
Based just on what you've written, I'm not really sure if a Kayfun is what you're after. Are you looking to move to a MTL style of vaping? Restricted, or very restricted, DTL draw? If you're looking for the same type experience you get with your drippers, but in an RTA, you should probably look at other options.[/QUOTE

Thank you one and all.

I'm not committed to a Kayfun at all. It's just with all the stuff I've read on ECF (you could spend days) they seemed like a smart choice. I'm more of a DL inhaler actually. So with that in mind what would you suggest?

bombastinator

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 12, 2010
MN USA
My vaping style seems more similar to yours in that I am a DL user who will occasionally MTL

One decision is do you want ant a single or dual coil device. Large single coils can equal medium sized dual coils in vapor volume and provide simplicity. Some dual coil devices wil single coil well, some won’t. Some provide plugs to improve single coil performance.

Another is how big an atty do you want? The two common sizes are 22mm and 24/25 mm, there are also larger and smaller devices but they are much more rare. Which size you need is going to be dependand on the mod you are using.

A third is how much juice do you need it to hold? Devices with larger juice wells tend to have smaller Draco’s and/or be physically larger

ligyron

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 28, 2014
Lake Worth, FL
Thank you for your interest and help bombastinator.

Right now I use a duel coil dripper, (a Marquis clone) the most but single coil is easier I suppose and there would likely be more room to build. I don't have trouble doing coils the problem, if I have one, is the always the capture -it's a lot more difficult with some decks. I can do either and duel coils do tend to have better flavor I guess.

Everything I have is 22mm now, except, I think, for that RM1 I use on my REO and I plan to use an Invader 3 mostly with this new tank. I do want something that will hold at least 4ml of juice and more is better all things being equal.

I don't know what a draco is, unfortunately.

bombastinator

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 12, 2010
MN USA
Thank you for your interest and help bombastinator.

Right now I use a duel coil dripper, (a Marquis clone) the most but single coil is easier I suppose and there would likely be more room to build. I don't have trouble doing coils the problem, if I have one, is the always the capture -it's a lot more difficult with some decks. I can do either and duel coils do tend to have better flavor I guess.

Everything I have is 22mm now, except, I think, for that RM1 I use on my REO and I plan to use an Invader 3 mostly with this new tank. I do want something that will hold at least 4ml of juice and more is better all things being equal.

I don't know what a draco is, unfortunately.
Fasttech is listing invader3 depth at 23mm which means a 22 or maybe 24mm mod unless you’re willing to deal with a good deal of overhang. The avacado 24 might work for example. It’s an RDTA ( basically a genesis style tank that uses cotton instead of steel mesh wicks) which is a dual coil with a good rep. Do NOT get the avacado bottom air. It’s a totally different tank. An obs engine nano would fit but it’s single coil. Same for the ammit 22. The ammit and engine are well known for requiring very exact wicking or they can leak. 22mm is just considered rather narrow by modern standards I’m afraid. Others I’m sure will have better suggestions

GL :)

Letitia

Citrus Junkie
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 2, 2017
West Frankfort, IL
Engine Nano is top af and does not leak. I currently use Nano, Zeus, and Crius 2. All hold 4-5ml, all are single coil. The Nano is the most versatile for af options imo. Flavor is very good on all three and all are easy to build and wick. You will have some overhang. Lot of good options out there. Maybe pick two or three and come back and ask for opinions on those.

mimöschen

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jul 15, 2016
The Wotofo Conqueror might be an alternative. It's 22mm, holds 4ml of juice, has juice flow control, offers really good flavor and is quite easy to build, although it's a postless deck. But you can run it with a dual or a large single coil.
The airflow is slightly restricted, but not so much like the Kayfun V5. With 10 being wide open and 1 nearly closed, I'd say it's a 7,5.
And it might be availabale dead cheap by now.

ligyron

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 28, 2014
Lake Worth, FL
You guys are being a big help and I really appreciate it!

Those are all nice RTA's ya'll put me onto. I like the look of The Conqueror and the OBS Nano really is versatile. Speaking of really; Rip Trippers really, I mean really loves that Avacado 24.

Looks like maybe the wider RTA's tend to have more room to build and for juice so maybe I need to re-think using it with the Invader 3 and just get a new devise to go with it. I just need a portable, leak-proof (as much as is possible) system to be mobile with.

I wonder what I could put together for around 100.00 or less?

You guys are great!

bombastinator

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 12, 2010
MN USA
You guys are being a big help and I really appreciate it!

Those are all nice RTA's ya'll put me onto. I like the look of The Conqueror and the OBS Nano really is versatile. Speaking of really; Rip Trippers really, I mean really loves that Avacado 24.

Looks like maybe the wider RTA's tend to have more room to build and for juice so maybe I need to re-think using it with the Invader 3 and just get a new devise to go with it. I just need a portable, leak-proof (as much as is possible) system to be mobile with.

I wonder what I could put together for around 100.00 or less?

You guys are great!
Hmm. If I suddenly lost all my gear and had a banjamin to get a vape with, I’d probably go with an obs engine on a battlestar or maybe a speeder

Monotremata

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 15, 2014
Fontana, CA
monotremata.bandcamp.com
Hmm for DL hits, especially after being used to dual coil airflow, I dont know if Id go with the KF5. I love mine, its one of my favorite atty's ever and Ive been through all the Kayfuns so far but the Prime, but it might not be quite as open as you're used to. I got about the same airflow I was getting with my Derringer RDA with one side all the way open. I haven't used the Kayfun since the beginning of the year when I got my Cthulhu MTL. Its a bit smaller, and the wicking isn't as textbook simple as the Kayfun but its got airflow for days, even though they call it the 'MTL'. I assume the regular Cthulhu has even more but the V3 is huge, I think its a 25mm atty. It is made for big coils like your 24g though.

If you do decide to get the Kayfun, see if you can find the Tobeco clone. I haven't used an EHPro since my Kayfun Lite's but Tobeco knocked it out of the park with both the Kayfun 4 and 5. Id send a link, but I honestly cant remember where I bought it last year, and it doesn't seem like anyone ever really stocked them other than that one place.

Cirus

ECF Veteran
Dec 13, 2014
Texas
If you do decide to get the Kayfun, see if you can find the Tobeco clone. I haven't used an EHPro since my Kayfun Lite's but Tobeco knocked it out of the park with both the Kayfun 4 and 5. Id send a link, but I honestly cant remember where I bought it last year, and it doesn't seem like anyone ever really stocked them other than that one place.
Kayfun v5 Clone by Tobeco

My only tank for 1.5 years.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread