Kennedy Tobacco Bill (2009)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Posidon

ECF Veteran
Oct 4, 2009
I found this article written by Mr. Bill Godshall.

ACT NOW: Kennedy Tobacco Bill Begins Debate June 2nd 2009!

Letter from Smokefree Pennsylvania
Smokefree Pennsylvania urges you to OPPOSE this privately negotiated deal (in 2004) between Philip Morris and the Campaign for tobacco Free Kids to protect the deadliest tobacco product (Marlboro
cigarettes) from market competition by the least hazardous tobacco/nicotine products (smokefree).
I actually found this article on digg and through a quote on ASH's website from 2009. (Second article down)

ASH Daily News for 15 May 2009

A US Professor of Medicine alleges that Tobacco Free Kids will eventually be partially responsible for the deaths of millions of smokers.

Tobacco Free Kids, via their support for the Kennedy tobacco bill (S. 982) due to enter the Senate next Tuesday, will be partly responsible for the deaths of millions of smokers. That's the opinion of Brad Radu, proffessor of medicine and holder of an endowed chair in tobacco harm reduction research at the University of Louisville.

Experts in tobacco harm reduction such as Professor Radu maintain that the tobacco bill will cause irreparable harm to the cause of tobacco harm reduction by leading to a defacto ban on products which they say have one percent or less of the risk of smoking regular cigarettes. The professor, commenting on an open letter from E Cigarette Direct to Tobacco Free Kids, remarked:

"There is no public health justification for denying smokers information about and access to safer sources of tobacco and nicotine. But the war against tobacco, conducted by Tobacco Free Kids and their allies, is not about public health. It has become the latest in a long line of misguided American moral crusades."

Tobacco Free Kids has argued that the bill will help protect America's youth from cigarettes. It has been joined in its assertions by America's largest manufacturer of cigarettes, which has spent millions of dollars lobbying on behalf of the tobacco bill. Professor Radu, however, had a different perspective, arguing: "I am convinced that these anti-tobacco extremists will eventually be held partially responsible for the deaths of millions of uninformed smokers."

Posidon

ECF Veteran
Oct 4, 2009
Some more information about the 2004 deal between Phillip Morris and Campaign for Tobacco Free Kids.

The Campaign for Tobacco-Free Kids - SourceWatch

Roll Call wrote that "The face-to-face negotiating sessions and conference calls were so sensitive that Philip Morris and the Campaign for Tobacco Free Kids refused to tell even their closest allies."

This is getting interesting!

Vicks Vap-oh-Yeah

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Mar 9, 2009
West Allis, WI
www.emeraldvapers.com
The question is: What happened, either behind closed doors or within the secret, 'backroom' that caused Banzaff and ASH to change their POV so drastically? I mean, look at this....he's gone from "professor Radu makes sense in the reduced harm/alternate tobacco products," to BAN EVERYTHING!!!! And this happened practically overnight, in terms of timeframes. That article quoted off ASH's website is barely a year old.

There's got to be a reason he shifted so dramatically....I'd LOVE to know who put how much cashola into his pocket to pay for his stance.

Posidon

ECF Veteran
Oct 4, 2009
A 180 degree turn is exactly right. It's really surprising that they flipped in such a short time-frame. I'm kind curious as to what else they supported ~1+ year ago and what they have changed their position on since. I'll be digging through their archives when I have a chance. I can't seem them doing another 180 since they have so much invested and so little profit to gain from e-cigs.

I posted the quote from my second post on CFTFK facebook page and got banned from their group. I've been posting on their page quite a bit, but this must have really ticked them off.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread