Status
Not open for further replies.

Wil

Unregistered Supplier
ECF Veteran
May 26, 2011
Chapel Hill, NC
www.awesomeclouds.com
I'm looking for a solution too... Got mine from AltSmoke yesterday as well... Hoping to take delivery tomorrow. I could only find ONE 18490 available though... It'll be here today. Guess I'll be swapping 18490/Kick for 18650 for a little while at least. Not really looking for more power, just more consistency. I hate the roll off...

I'm thinking it's as simple as removing a bit of the coating from one small spot. Any guesses as to the best way to do that? I'm thinking a Dremel would be overkill (and I don't have one). Maybe just some fine grit sand paper?

ltrainer

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 18, 2010
upstate ny
lol Chris..I take mine off about 3.8v.

I think the only way I'll know is by getting the Kick and using it. THe Grand runs about 3.8v loaded with a fresh battery. THe Kick cuts off at loaded 3.2v. So I just don't know how many of the amps actually get used in the 18490 before cutoff. I'll know soon enough though.

Last edited:

ChrisEU

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 23, 2011
Germany
Oh, that is really early. Lets see: 3,8V equals roughly 3,6V loaded at 3A. You will have used around 750mAh then - according to the discharge diagram at Test of AW IMR 18650 1600mAh (Red).
The 18490 has 1100mAh to the 1600mAh of the 18650.
The kick is said to have 80% efficiency in step-up mode, so that's around 800 to 850 mAh.

Actually, it's looking good for ya. Assuming that you vape at the same wattage as before you might even get a few minutes more =)

ltrainer

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 18, 2010
upstate ny
Oh, that is really early. Lets see: 3,8V equals roughly 3,6V loaded at 3A. You will have used around 750mAh then - according to the discharge diagram at Test of AW IMR 18650 1600mAh (Red).
The 18490 has 1100mAh to the 1600mAh of the 18650.
The kick is said to have 80% efficiency in step-up mode, so that's around 800 to 850 mAh.

Actually, it's looking good for ya. Assuming that you vape at the same wattage as before you might even get a few minutes more =)

I would be pleased with that. thanks

ufo

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 12, 2009
Rome - italy
Not Really. Your probably getting more like 5.8 volts loaded. Which comes to around 11 watts.

ETA: I just tested my REO with stacked AW 3.2 cells. Unloaded its at 6.7 volts. When I put on a 3 ohm cisco atomizer the loaded voltage is 5.9 volts.

At 6.4 volts unloaded your probably getting 5.6 volts loaded which is just under 10.5 watts.

Yes, I know...under load the effective voltage is always lower.
Anyway, the 10 W of the kick are too few even considering the voltages under load (if using atom of 3 ohms):)

In addiction, I often use also atoms 510 and 306 of 2.5 ohms (or even 2ohm cartom) with 6.4 v (so 5.6v under load).
therefore, in the best case, 5.6x5.6/2.5= 12.5 Watt:)

trogg78

Verified Member
Feb 11, 2011
Cincinnati
I just got my kicks!

Don't waste your time sanding the grande for the ground spring on your kick. I gave it a try and it barely fired. Al I had to do was take a little wire, wrap one end around the kick ground spring and the end around the grand ground spring. It works great, and you don't have to mess with your grandes anodizing the way I did.

I really think this will be best. It just seemed too hard for the kick to keep in contact with the grande because it's a little wiggly.

ltrainer

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 18, 2010
upstate ny
I just got my kicks!

Don't waste your time sanding the grande for the ground spring on your kick. I gave it a try and it barely fired. Al I had to do was take a little wire, wrap one end around the kick ground spring and the end around the grand ground spring. It works great, and you don't have to mess with your grandes anodizing the way I did.

I really think this will be best. It just seemed too hard for the kick to keep in contact with the grande because it's a little wiggly.

How was the vape and how many ml of juice on the 18490? thanks for the info.

Wil

Unregistered Supplier
ECF Veteran
May 26, 2011
Chapel Hill, NC
www.awesomeclouds.com
Mine is "Out for Delivery". Stupid job...

I have some wire I can use (I worked in the car stereo business for years), but I really don't want to do it that way. I was only able to find one AW IMR 18490, so I'll be switching back and forth between that with Kick and 18650 for a while, and it seems like a hassle. I want it to work sanding it.

Once I get it in my hand I'll be able to make a better decision... Got any pictures of your "wired" solution?

Ugh... The joys of being an early adopter!

ltrainer

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 18, 2010
upstate ny
Wil,

I think a spacer can be put in. IT would run from the left side of the grand over to the kick and fill in the space where the center divider stops near the top. It should hold the Kick snug. Thats my hope anyway. Theres enough room that it could go over the feed tube. Some kind of styrofoam or foan would be ideal as it could add some pressure to the side of the kick but not too much pressure and it could be easily popped in and out. I dont want wires either.

ltrainer

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 18, 2010
upstate ny
I think I just came up with the solution. Early reports say that the Kick is loose in the Grand so the ground spring loses contact. My spacer thoughts, in the above post, should work but I was having a hard time finding a material that I thought would work well. I did some digging aounr the house and found what I think should work great. A pink eraser. I say pink because that the only one I have here. Whats good about it? Well number one it is easy to cut with a knife. Two, it has enough elasticity to firmly hold the Kick without undue pressure on it. It should pop in and out easily. Three, its a relatively soft material so it shouldn't damage the Kick. Four, it is fairly grippy and should keep the Kick from any movement. I just carved the eraser up and fitted it in the Grand. THe door slides on and off easily. I just have to slice it to length once the Kick comes in. IT will fill in that space that the center divider causes by not going to the top so more of the Kick will be held firmly in place so movement should be negated.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread