Kicking Cable to the Curb

Status
Not open for further replies.

2legsshrt

Resting In Peace
ECF Veteran
Oct 19, 2009
Spokane,WA
My kodi box is a trongle, its a clone of a clone. It does have google based android 6, Jarvis 16.1 but only 1 gig ram. I spend all kinds of time on youtube and google figuring out why it ran so bad. Useless apps that did nothing but update using up my ram, dead links and android bloatware especially the google apps in the androidOS. Box used 800meg of the 1gig just to run the crap then I start kodi, it would burp, phart then freeze...this is right out of the box new. Old news to a lot of kodi users.
-Google store and google play use over 200meg ram just to run- disabled until I need them but haven't needed them yet.
-Removed/disabled several useless android bloatware apps.
- Fresh Start kodi app. Installed only Specto and Exodus. I had problems with salts so didn't reinstall that app.
-Set source timeouts to minimum timeout. Removed troublesome and laggy sources as they appeared
-Set updates to manual. I dislike auto update anything.
-Disabled the universal resolvers in URLresolvers(I have 2 URLresolver files in system) since I'm not paying for nothing.
-Autoplay is more hassle than good so I manually select the source to play and know after time which sources work and which don't.
- hardwired in, WIFI only for IPhones
That's all I can think of off the top of my head but now my 1 gig box runs less then 500 megs ram with kodi running unlike before that it would freeze.
My son has a Netflix account so I let him pay so I can use one of his devices so we can watch. I installed Netflix into the androidOS instead of installing into the Kodi app so I don't have to have kodi running to watch Netflix but the bummer is that I have to enable google play to watch Netflix. I can watch Netflix on our optic TV line through our ISP with better quality so I don't use Netflix in the TVbox.
BEST part is I phoned Telus, our ISP to to cut the TV back and disconnect our landline. The lady nearly had a bird and began lets make a deal. Took a $100 a month TV to $33 with basic, $45/ month landline down to $15 and we had 50down 10up internet with 600gig cap for $105/month now to 150/150 unlimited for $90. I took a $250 a month bill and made it into $138 because of Kodi...gotta love it.
600gb cap is ridiculous. Everybody is out to make a buck and screw you to do it. Exodus and Real Debrid must've been having a conflict for the last 3 or 4 days. No RD streams would work on Exodus but the non RD did. Today is back working right. Must've had to make a deal with tvaddons to use their streams. It amazes me that the will charge you through the --- for internet and then tell you how you can use it. I was using 1200 gb with just amazon and netflix. Now I'm not sure cause all I use is Kodi for the most part. I still have amazon and netflix on a roku but rarely use it I do use HBOgo on the roku though. Google store is on my general screen if I choose to use it but I don't. I use the SS for Kodi and the addons they provide from SS and thats it and I have 2gb and 16gb of memory which is a better way to go IMO.

2legsshrt

Resting In Peace
ECF Veteran
Oct 19, 2009
Spokane,WA
SS came out with an update yesterday so I am going to do as advised and do a Fresh Install and just reauthorize RD and Trakt. I was told that using the save user settings is handy but occasionally a Fresh install is good to get a clean copy. The update they did gets rid of some dead addons ads some new and also some repo changes. Still on 16.1 for now. It works so smoothly when they are ready they will put out 17 and I am sure that when they do it will work flawlessly. Since they have really good support they don't want to be swamped with calls to get it working right.

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 2, 2013
BC Canada
600gb cap is ridiculous. Everybody is out to make a buck and screw you to do it. Exodus and Real Debrid must've been having a conflict for the last 3 or 4 days. No RD streams would work on Exodus but the non RD did. Today is back working right. Must've had to make a deal with tvaddons to use their streams. It amazes me that the will charge you through the --- for internet and then tell you how you can use it. I was using 1200 gb with just amazon and netflix. Now I'm not sure cause all I use is Kodi for the most part. I still have amazon and netflix on a roku but rarely use it I do use HBOgo on the roku though. Google store is on my general screen if I choose to use it but I don't. I use the SS for Kodi and the addons they provide from SS and thats it and I have 2gb and 16gb of memory which is a better way to go IMO.
WE were doing OK with the 600 gig until our son started multitasking the high bandwidth XBox games and watching youtube on his computer. I got super choked at him when I find him sleeping with YouTube running playing vid after vid all night. It was costing us extra 50 bucks a month in over cap penalties. I did find on the Netflix site you can have 3 qualities of video(700meg/hour, 3gig/hour, 7gig/hour I think) so you can turn down the netflix bandwidth usage if needed to control usage. Also I do have a habit of falling asleep on the couch and netflix will autoplay several videos before stopping from controller inactivity, there is a spot in the netflix site to stop that also.
I have 2gb and 16gb of memory which is a better way to go IMO.
I bought our box knowing nothing about what to buy with a gazillion choices I guess I made the wrong choice. I know better now on which box to buy and what to look for.

kiba

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 21, 2012
Alexandria, Va, USA
www.facebook.com
Yep I've heard that also, Also the most expensive but have read and heard a lot of good things about them. They are almost always rated #1 in reviews. Heard they are really good for gamers also.
The most important thing is it has a proper gpu in it, and can do 4k without being bogged down to 30fps or less.

Most of these things have an integrated gpu, which is a problem, the shield tv and the fire TV box are the only ones I've seen with separate gpu/cpu.

Reactions: Iffy

2legsshrt

Resting In Peace
ECF Veteran
Oct 19, 2009
Spokane,WA
Ha we've been binge watching the 5 seasons of the Wire started season 3 and though why aren't I watching this on HBOgo instead of Kodi. It was having to go through a lot of streams to get each episode and never could get 1080 this is much better on Roku. Course if you don't have HBO you can't do it but we do.

2legsshrt

Resting In Peace
ECF Veteran
Oct 19, 2009
Spokane,WA
Wow this thread sure died. Everybody must be like me. I'm on Season 5 of The Wire. Think we watched it before but not real close. I remember some things but mostly not. Theres a ton of different series on HBOgo. By the time I get back to Kodi there should be more movies to watch.

MikeE3

Vaping Master
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 23, 2011
Skippack, PA
Anybody tried Kodi v18.0 yet?

No but I just did a side-by-side comparison of Jarvis and an older version of Exodus to Krypton and a current version of Exodus and the old versions won hands down.

On my computer w/ the old stuff using Exodus I pulled up 2 pages of streams for Passengers. On my SIL's computer running the new stuff, he got 1 page and couldn't find a workable stream w/o having to go someplace and 'validate'. My 1st stream was @ 1080 and played just fine w/o and hassle.

I'm thinking it's more the new version of Exodus and what it presents when doing a search then it is a difference between Jarvis and Krypton.

mikepetro

Vape Geek
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 22, 2013
Newport News, Virginia, United States
upload_2017-3-22_8-47-32.png

As many people as I personally know who are cutting the cord, it is hard to believe that cable companies arent feeling the pain yet.

Cord-cutting isn’t happening — this report explains why

B2L

Vaping Master
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 14, 2012
Jacksonville, FL
View attachment 643089

As many people as I personally know who are cutting the cord, it is hard to believe that cable companies arent feeling the pain yet.

Cord-cutting isn’t happening — this report explains why

My theory, a (vast?) majority of people want easy. Whether it's fast food vs cooking at home, drop in coils vs rebuilding, store bought juice vs DIY or cable vs streaming. The "hard core" in anything are few and far between. Most people will gladly pay for convenience. I'ts not that any of those things are that difficult to do, it's just easier to not do them.

garyoa1

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Human nature, Mike. It's the "I want it now" syndrome. Streaming local live tv ain't gunna happen anytime soon. If ever. So waiting a day or two for their fav show isn't an option. And not everyone has the option of getting a HD antenna. Or even know they can.

2legsshrt

Resting In Peace
ECF Veteran
Oct 19, 2009
Spokane,WA
Just as a FYI Roku now offers Play Station Vue. That's if you are interested. From what I've seen Vue has the best lineup for the least money. Much better then Sling and USTVnow you have to have a VPN to get American Channels. Like I said I am not against paying a small amount for services that are not quality on Kodi.

2legsshrt

Resting In Peace
ECF Veteran
Oct 19, 2009
Spokane,WA
No but I just did a side-by-side comparison of Jarvis and an older version of Exodus to Krypton and a current version of Exodus and the old versions won hands down.

On my computer w/ the old stuff using Exodus I pulled up 2 pages of streams for Passengers. On my SIL's computer running the new stuff, he got 1 page and couldn't find a workable stream w/o having to go someplace and 'validate'. My 1st stream was @ 1080 and played just fine w/o and hassle.

I'm thinking it's more the new version of Exodus and what it presents when doing a search then it is a difference between Jarvis and Krypton.
Yeah Mike I've heard don't know its true that the new version on Kodi is not as user friendly towards the free streaming addons as 16.1. SS has an update but it is still 16.1 but I also notice that Exodus has a new look on it's icon. I think it is the old addon with a new look haven't done the update yet but heard it is still working well. I'm not sure if it's tvaddons version or not. Mine is still working fine which is why i have not hurried to do the update. I did also hear the old set the search to 10 sec is not working in the new version. That can be bypassed though.

garyoa1

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
hmmm ... anyone found A Billion Lives on a Kodi feed. Looked last night (Exodus, Zen, & 1Channel) and could only find 'one hit' and that one didn't have a stream available
Nope. Bin lookin since it was released.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread