KR808 vs. 510 batteries, and charger compatibility question

Status
Not open for further replies.

Madame Psychosis

ECF Veteran
Nov 18, 2009
East Coast Gypsy
Two questions:

1/ Anyone know if the KR808 batts work in the 510 wall charger?
(The little USB "universal charger" for KR808s claims to charge 510s and other models, so I assume the threads aren't terribly dissimilar...)

2/ I'm waiting for a 510 batt/KR808 cartomizer adapter, but I'm curious about trying a KR808 battery or two. (Especially the 380mah mega batts for the KR808 -- the 510 megas are only 280mah!)
Any thoughts on how the two models of batteries compare?

I'm eager to try cartomizers; I'm getting tired of dripping, and with the ordinary 510 I still can't totally kick my analog habit during long drives (which is when I've always chain-smoked!). I'm thinking cartos will help a whole lot.

You cannot charge a KR808d-1 battery in a 510 wall charger, because the 510 has a female end to it and the KR801d-1 has a male.

The little universal USB chargers are different--you just stick the battery in it. The 510 wall charger requires you to screw the battery on.

(You can, however, screw the KR808d-1 battery onto the 510 battery--though why you would want to I cannot imagine. But they do fit.)

I prefer the KR808 battery to the 510 battery, simply because the life of a 510 battery is so miserable. But I do think I saw a video of someone using the adapter for the cartomizer with a 510 battery. He seemed to enjoy it a lot.

Madame Psychosis

ECF Veteran
Nov 18, 2009
East Coast Gypsy
Thanks for the info!

I prefer the KR808 battery to the 510 battery, simply because the life of a 510 battery is so miserable.
Yeah...and the mega batt for the 510 isn't a huge improvement, though it's something.

I'd also like to get a passthrough (and a 2000mah 5v wall USB adapter is on its way because I am not messing around with my precious laptop) but can't decide whether to get the manual 510 or manual KR808 passthrough. That makes it no longer a battery life issue, so I'm wondering if there will be any other differences between the two?

Pawpaw

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Sep 5, 2009
North Texas
The 510 PT I had used a small inline 3.7v battery, about the size of a AA.

When I first plugged it into my USB port, it didn't work. I think it had to charge that little battery first, because it worked ok after a while. For this reason, I think it only delivers 3.7v to the carto.

I have torn apart a dead V4L PT, and there is nothing in there to reduce the voltage. It is putting the full 5V directly to the carto. Also, it is a much sturdier build than the 510 PT.

Scottbee

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Sep 18, 2009
Okauchee Lake, WI
(You can, however, screw the KR808d-1 battery onto the 510 battery--though why you would want to I cannot imagine. But they do fit.)

Actually.... you can't. And that's probably a good thing. Both the thread pitch and diameter are a bit different. I discovered that when I made my own KR808D-1 cartomizer adapter for the 510 batteries. Male KR808D-1 threads on one end, male 510 threads on the other. Can't spin it around and have it fit.

Scottbee

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Sep 18, 2009
Okauchee Lake, WI
Two questions:

1/ Anyone know if the KR808 batts work in the 510 wall charger?
(The little USB "universal charger" for KR808s claims to charge 510s and other models, so I assume the threads aren't terribly dissimilar...)

2/ I'm waiting for a 510 batt/KR808 cartomizer adapter, but I'm curious about trying a KR808 battery or two. (Especially the 380mah mega batts for the KR808 -- the 510 megas are only 280mah!)
Any thoughts on how the two models of batteries compare?

I'm eager to try cartomizers; I'm getting tired of dripping, and with the ordinary 510 I still can't totally kick my analog habit during long drives (which is when I've always chain-smoked!). I'm thinking cartos will help a whole lot.

Math is math..... ;) so if the Mega batteries are 280mAh and the others are 380mAh.. then you're talking about 36% longer "vape time" with the big battery (assuming the same vaping habits and atomizer/cartomizer resistance).

I share your feelings regarding the 510 and cartomizers. That's why I bought some KR808D-1 hardware and gave it an honest shot. Just couldn't get past the reduced vapor production of the KR.. and some other issues that bothered me. Luckily some very good 510 cart mods came along. I can now prefill a few 510 carts in the morning.. cap them.. put them in my PCC or carry box.... and just swap them out throughout the day. That gives me cartomizer "ease of use" while still getting 510 vapor performance and "cost of use".

Madame Psychosis

ECF Veteran
Nov 18, 2009
East Coast Gypsy
The 510 PT I had used a small inline 3.7v battery, about the size of a AA.

When I first plugged it into my USB port, it didn't work. I think it had to charge that little battery first, because it worked ok after a while. For this reason, I think it only delivers 3.7v to the carto.

I have torn apart a dead V4L PT, and there is nothing in there to reduce the voltage. It is putting the full 5V directly to the carto. Also, it is a much sturdier build than the 510 PT.
Very useful info, Pawpaw -- thanks.

I noticed the lack of a battery on the V4L passthrough and wondered about that.

Madame Psychosis

ECF Veteran
Nov 18, 2009
East Coast Gypsy
Math is math..... ;) so if the Mega batteries are 280mAh and the others are 380mAh.. then you're talking about 36% longer "vape time" with the big battery (assuming the same vaping habits and atomizer/cartomizer resistance).

I share your feelings regarding the 510 and cartomizers. That's why I bought some KR808D-1 hardware and gave it an honest shot. Just couldn't get past the reduced vapor production of the KR.. and some other issues that bothered me. Luckily some very good 510 cart mods came along. I can now prefill a few 510 carts in the morning.. cap them.. put them in my PCC or carry box.... and just swap them out throughout the day. That gives me cartomizer "ease of use" while still getting 510 vapor performance and "cost of use".
I liked the math, but I suppose you never know what other idiosyncrasies people might find with various batteries.

And, you're right about the cart mods. Don't know where I'd be without this forum! Just discovered the blue foam+straw (slug v3.0) mod for the 510s. Wow.

(Of course, if you end up liking the KR808d-1 battery life better and the 510 vapor production/cost better, you can get a KR808 battery -to- 510 atomizer adapter. I'll get those in addition to my 510 battery -to- cartomizer adapters...eh, I'm addicted to options. :D Well, and nicotine.)

Travis798

ECF Veteran
Nov 7, 2009
Oklahoma

This really surprises me, because I hear it a lot. I just received a KR808D-1 today and although I have only vaped one cart so far, the vapor matched, and possibly surpassed, that of my 510. My 510 does provide more throat hit however.

Since I finally got a cart vaped pretty dry I'm assuming (put 24 drops in to refill the cartomizer, compared to my 510 carts hold a max of 12 drops with my bottles) I will check any actual difference using the same juice, but so far I'm pretty dang impressed with the KR808D-1.

I bought the KR to check it out thinking it might be a better fit than a 510 for my 76 year old Grandpa, but he's not getting this one! Although I still see myself using the 510 at home for throat hit, I also see myself using the KR quite a bit for on the go.

ThaLadyD

ECF Veteran
Oct 13, 2009
WISCONSIN (GO PACK GO!)
I tell anyone who asks what their first choice should be, to get a KR808d,
for it's simplicity, battery life, vapor, and warm throat hit.

Then, if they want to try something else, a 510 disposable before jumping in and buying a whole kit and PCC.

The cartos are perfect for my mom, she hates fussing with the dripping, or refilling carts, and it's harder for her with arthritis in her hands and wrists.

Kelemvor

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 12, 2009
Germany NRW
if anyones 510 is producing weaker vapor than a carto e-cig, your atomizers are old, defective or not joye brand.
imo they vape ok, but nothing more, and not a real match for a joye510, and never ever to the Dura atomizers.

cartos are perfect for the older mom, easy to use and no hassle with worn out atomizers, thats right.

Travis798

ECF Veteran
Nov 7, 2009
Oklahoma
if anyones 510 is producing weaker vapor than a carto e-cig, your atomizers are old, defective or not joye brand.
imo they vape ok, but nothing more, and not a real match for a joye510, and never ever to the Dura atomizers.

cartos are perfect for the older mom, easy to use and no hassle with worn out atomizers, thats right.

Maybe I should have said overall vapor production, meaning from charge to charge. My 510 on a fresh battery blows it out of the water. My 510 after using it for 5 minutes is on par with the KR808D-1. I have both Joye and non Joye atomizers. I use several atomizers through the coarse of the day. The vapor is there, just not for long.

With the KR, since the battery lasts so much longer, I get more consistent vapor for a much greater length of time. If I were to use my 510 for one day, and the KR for a day, and were able to trap all the vapor they both put out on a puff for puff basis over the course of the day, my KR would probably be equal. Even if not, there's not THAT much of a difference. A 808D-1 is a good e-cig and simple to use.

As far as the Dura atomizers, I have a Janty gold band and the vapor is consistent with a regular joye 510 atomizer. No more, no less. I'm not trying to take anything away from the 510. It's what I use and I love it. Of course I'm now using a mod, so there is really no comparison.

gmav44

Moved On
Jan 23, 2010
MI
My first kit was Joye 510 and came with the USB PT. Just received the VK with PT yesterday. Been a user for two weeks in total.

Here's my take on the comparison. I would prefer the 510 PT because it vapes just like the Joye with fresh batteries. It also has the inline battery and a smaller more flexible cord. It rocks.

The PT for VK is bulky, rigid, and not as user friendly. It has a more durable look and seems sturdy, but I like the 510 apparatus much better.

I sit in comfort at the computer and don't mind topping a cart once in a while, even at work. I give the 510 a slight edge in vape and TH so I'll stick with this PT. When I'm on the go, I'll grab the VK and be most happy.

"no one can make you feel bad, with out your permisson" ;)

MacDiver

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 7, 2010
Morehead City, NC

Scottbee,

I really enjoyed your study on the "Battery Voltage - Supprise" thread and have been searching on this forum since I read it last night for info on the KR808D-1 type units to see if I should adapt the batts to my 510 for a better result due to the low voltage of 3.0-3.1

I just noticed, however, that you wrote that Jan 23rd which was after this thread. Have you since leaned more toward the KR808D-1 for a recommendation vs the 510 or is there a better recommendation than even those two?

I'm thinking of moving up to a mod for longer batt life. Would you recommend the Bartley as one of the top mods available? I like the small size of it. Can the bartley be used as a passthough when near a USB source and if so would it charge the batt at the same time?

Thanks for your help and sharing your skills with us!

Suggestions from everyone are welcome, just not Scottbee.

http://www.e-cigarette-forum.com/forum/joye-510/65055-battery-voltages-surprise.html

:)

Last edited by a moderator:

sheep

ECF Veteran
Jan 13, 2010
Vancouver, BC
This is probably blasphemy but I think I prefer my 510 battery an adapter and carto over the KR-808 battery! I decided I wanted to try cartos, so ordered a few, plus adapters and a couple of 808 batteries. So far I am extremely pleased with the KR-808, and I can see it becoming my main e-cig. But with the regular manual battery I find the draw very airy. And it really whistles. With the 510 and the adapter, I get a nice firm draw and a warm, tasty and consistent cloud of vapour every time. And the size and weight of the unit feels just right. Plus, since it's a stainless adapter and a stainless 510 battery, I think it looks pretty sharp!

For the member who wanted to use a pass thru but was worried about her laptop...you just need an external POWERED USB hub. It does not need to be connected to the computer and has the advantage over the wall charger in that you can use the passthru and a usb charger at the same time. Just be sure to get a 2.0 hub. You can get them at any store that sells computer equipment (even Walmart).

When I first started into e-cigs I got the Blu starter kit and foolishly got the 4 carton crt package because it was only $80.00 for the 100 carts. I did not take long to become disenchanted with the short battery life and the limited volume of the Blu cart. My searches led me to the cartomizer idea so I got a KR808D-1 and some cartomizers. It was a vast improvement over the Blu. But I was still left with 100 Blu carts. I had learned in the forums that the Blu carts fit the 501 battery. Since I am at my computer 12-14 hours a day I was intrigued with the Pass thru idea. The 501 had a passthru but the external battery was a turn-off. Then about 2 weeks ago I came across info that there was a 501 passthru that did not require an external battery. At the same time I found a 501 to KR808 adapter that allowed me to use the cartomizers and I could also use my 100 Blu carts on this pass thru also. This basically solved my hardware problem. I use my 501 passthru at the computer and my KR808 when doing things in other parts of the house. It has cut way down on my battery use and recharging time.

Next I under took the problems of vapor quantity, throat hit strength and cartridge life. It is here where the most dramatic savings in the e-cig use can be realized. If you want to get the fullest enjoyment from your e-cig and at the cheapest cost you must get into DIY (do it yourself) mixing, cart refilling and filter use. Since this is also a lengthy discussion I will have to save that for my next post. In the meantime' enjoy..........

smokin n jokin

ECF Veteran
Mar 28, 2010
Tucson, Arizona
"If you want to get the fullest enjoyment from your e-cig and at the cheapest cost you must get into DIY (do it yourself) mixing"

Fullest enjoyment maybe but I doubt about the cost. You can buy a one ounce bottle of liquid and a 4 ounce boubler from Tasty Vapor for $30.00. That comes out to .20 cents a ML; you probably couldn't DIY much cheaper than that unless you bought PG and VG by the tanker truck load.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread