Labeling batteries?

Status
Not open for further replies.

OlderNDirt

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Nov 8, 2014
Nebraska
With the increase in my battery stock, the acquisition of a Brother labeler, and the realization that some of my early batteries are getting a bit old (but no idea how old), I came up with labels to put on all the batteries I have the data for (as well as their cases). I used to write on them with a sharpy, but some have worn off to the point I can't read them. I checked to be sure they would still slide easily into all my mods, which they do. My only concern would be any possible additional heat buildup during use or charging. Should I be or any other issue I've missed?
20170405_130746.jpg

zoiDman

My -0^10 = Nothing at All*
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 16, 2010
So-Cal
With the increase in my battery stock, the acquisition of a Brother labeler, and the realization that some of my early batteries are getting a bit old (but no idea how old), I came up with labels to put on all the batteries I have the data for (as well as their cases). I used to write on them with a sharpy, but some have worn off to the point I can't read them. I checked to be sure they would still slide easily into all my mods, which they do. My only concern would be any possible additional heat buildup during use or charging. Should I be or any other issue I've missed?
View attachment 646763

Good Job OnD.

Nice to see that you Included a Date on your Label. I have some Batteries that I am not sure of their Exact Age.

I don't think there should be Any problems with Heat build up when Charging.

OlderNDirt

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Nov 8, 2014
Nebraska
I don't put labels on my battery but I wouldn't worry about it. Lots of battery already comes with a second label on it. They do heat up a bit but really not a lot.

Thanks! I did leave the original label on as well, so some duplication of info, but wanted more.

Good Job OnD.

Nice to see that you Included a Date on your Label. I have some Batteries that I am not sure of their Exact Age.

I don't think there should be Any problems with Heat build up when Charging.

Thanks. Even though I use an Xtar charger that shows volts, I figured any indication of a battery degrading and knowing it is getting old would make it easier to dispose and replace when both apply.

WillyZee

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 23, 2013
Toronto
View attachment 646763

great idea.

OlderNDirt

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Nov 8, 2014
Nebraska
I find it easier just to number the batteries with a marker pen, and record any info elsewhere.

I did as well but found it still would tend to wear off (maybe I used the wrong kind of marker) and become hard to read, especially on the LG chocolates.

great idea.

Thanks, Willy!

Rossum

Eleutheromaniac
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 14, 2013
SE PA
Hah! I have a P-Touch printer (actually a slew of them) at work. But it never occurred to me to get that fancy. Then again, I have no need for married sets...

I mark mine with a Sharpie, then cover up the marking with a piece of clear packing tape. The marking normally consists of the date (month and year) I put them in service, and in the case where I bought the same type of batteries from more than one vendor, I add some way for me to identify the vendor/batch.

ChelsB

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 12, 2016
California
View attachment 646763

Very impressive labeling system. I now feel like I need to step up my game and get a little more fancy than just a Sharpie![emoji4]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: OlderNDirt

Hightech Redneck

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 27, 2015
N C
I have 4 pairs in rotation, and had the issue of sharpie wearing off. I started using a fine sharpie and labeling the white disk around the positive.
Roman numeral like, one pair I next I I etc.. and then put an additional mark opposite of that on one battery so I can rotate the placement in my mod. Long story short the 4 pair I got in August have not worn or smudged at all as you don't handle it at the disk. I'm lazy on the fact that when they start falling off I replace them all at once so dating won't help me.
Just my :2c:

OlderNDirt

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Nov 8, 2014
Nebraska
Hah! I have a P-Touch printer (actually a slew of them) at work. But it never occurred to me to get that fancy. Then again, I have no need for married sets..

Very impressive labeling system

I went for the Brother QL-700 that @DaveP steered me onto for labeling my DIY juice. Works great and figured I may as well expand its use.

DaveP

PV Master & Musician
ECF Veteran
May 22, 2010
Central GA
OlderNDirt Wrote:

Good application for the QL-700! I may have to look into that, also. They do sell smaller labels that might be good for that purpose. You might lose some space and have to reduce the font size.

It's impressive that the QL-700 works equally as well with the after market labels.
The ones below tested fine when I rubbed them hard with my fingers under running water in the sink. I suppose all sizes would be from the same stock type.

LD © Compatible Brother DK-1201 Address Labels / 1.1 in x 3.5 in
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01A65JJM8/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o02_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

OlderNDirt

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Nov 8, 2014
Nebraska
Good application for the QL-700! I may have to look into that, also. They do sell smaller labels that might be good for that purpose. You might lose some space and have to reduce the font size.

It's impressive that the QL-700 works equally as well with the after market labels.
The ones below tested fine when I rubbed them hard with my fingers under running water in the sink. I suppose all sizes would be from the same stock type.

LD © Compatible Brother DK-1201 Address Labels / 1.1 in x 3.5 in
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01A65JJM8/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o02_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I'm still just using the 2.4" wide (or whatever it is) continuous roll that came with it. Set the font size so it only took 3/4" of the tape, set the text box inset from the right side leaving a blank section I snipped off for the shortness to fit the battery. Even though it came with address labels and I bought some file folder labels, seems the continuous roll will work well for most of my needs. And a 100' roll should last me a very long time.

Reactions: DaveP

DaveP

PV Master & Musician
ECF Veteran
May 22, 2010
Central GA
I'm still just using the 2.4" wide (or whatever it is) continuous roll that came with it. Set the font size so it only took 3/4" of the tape, set the text box inset from the right side leaving a blank section I snipped off for the shortness to fit the battery. Even though it came with address labels and I bought some file folder labels, seems the continuous roll will work well for most of my needs. And a 100' roll should last me a very long time.

The sample roll that came with it is 8 meters long, so that's a lot of tape. It also cuts to to the size of the label since it's continuous. I agree that it's a roll type to keep around.

I made a label for my 8 year old nephew's birthday present. We bought him a tool box full of basic tools from Amazon and created an 8" long label from that roll that says, "Thomas's Toolbox" in large type. It looks professional and stuck well to the exterior of the box. His Dad's a building contractor and Thomas is his shadow!

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread