Lavatube 2.5 AND Silver Bullet/Bolt questions

Status
Not open for further replies.
Does anyone have the new lavatube 2.5 yet? I really really really REALLY want it (ooo pretty) and was wondering how well it operates. I'm pretty much hell bent on either that or the itaste svd... but the svd just seems complicated at times. Plus the lavatube is sexy. Aesthetically the svd is less appealing. I have only found a couple reviews on the new lavatube 2.5 so far and they just show a general overview of it. I would love a pbusardo review since he goes into the accuracy of all of the settings but he doesn't have one yet.

Also... i'm trying to get a mechanical for my fiance. He works in a factory and really doesn't care for variable anything and just wants something he can throw a kick in if needed. My question is about the bolt and the silver bullet. the bolt is like 40 or 50 bucks cheaper and looks like the same thing (for the most part) as the silver bullet. How do you think the bolt stacks up against the silver bullet? or are they about the same just one is branded? I would love to just get the silver bullet, but at $80 ish bucks, not including new batteries, it would totally suck if it got damaged at work.

thanks! :rickroll:

shoggot

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 2, 2013
United States
Late reply, but whatever...

Bolt = Silver Bullet inspired clone, with several key differences.

Bolt is built from thin(ish) guage aluminum; think cheap dollar store flashlight material, thin, can't crumple it in your hand, but if you stomped on it with a boot, it'd deform easily enough.

Silver Bullet has walls close to 3/16" thick; it's almost disgusting how overbuilt they are. I'd feel perfectly confident that I could drive a car over it with no resulting damage. If I wasn't worried about damaging the exterior finish, I could use it to pound nails.

There's other differences, of course - switch quality, how the 510 connector is secured - feel free to assume that the SB comes out ahead on such things, and you won't be incorrect.

Yes, a SB is around 3x the price of an (on-sale) bolt (or 2x the retail price of a bolt?) - but it's easily 10x more durable.

One very important note - the bolt is a typical 21 or 22mm diameter - most RBA's are around this diameter. The Silver Bullet has another 4 or so mm tacked on, to account for the wall thickness... So some RBA's can look tiny on top of 'em. You can get tanks sized specifically for the SB's, though. (Bonus: those tanks have a pretty ridiculously high capacity, a nice side effect).

HTH, HAND

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread