Lavatube fact check.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Neloish

ECF Veteran
Mar 10, 2012
San Diego, CA
There has been all kinds of craziness lately about the Lavatube, and I have heard multiple things from fake to PWM (pause with modulation), and I am trying to get it all sorted out.

I heard that the "real" new Lavatube will be out soon, only in chrome, and from the original manufacturer.

I would just like to know when it is coming out, what the features are (if the info is out), and who will carry it?

Also if it is not to much trouble, could someone make a short list of which manufacturer makes which version including the knock offs?

There is just to much conflicting information, and I am getting confused :blink:

NGIB

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 27, 2012
Hinesville, GA
The 'real' lavatube.....Thats pretty funny!!! Spend the money, get a PROVARI.....Its the REAL thing....

Very helpful.

I do not think anyone in the states has the "new" 4 amp limit model. Many places sell the V1 model that is reliable and has a 2.5 amp limit - I have 2 of them from Apollo. The V1.5 is the one that had the electronics problem and I think were pulled from the market...

HawkeyeCS

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 30, 2012
United States
Very helpful.

I do not think anyone in the states has the "new" 4 amp limit model. Many places sell the V1 model that is reliable and has a 2.5 amp limit - I have 2 of them from Apollo. The V1.5 is the one that had the electronics problem and I think were pulled from the market...
As far as I can tell, there are the L-Rider lavatubes, (some may call them the real or original lavatubes). Those have a 2.5Amp limit use a normal boost circuit for the variable voltage. They have a red power button. There are version 1, and version 2 typically Chrome or SS (Apollo Vtube model only), with an ego style top cap. These units have proven themselves to be a reliable mod for higher ohm applications (2-3 ohm single coils or similar type devices recommended)

Then there are the Uniq/Young June Lavatubes. These all claim to have a higher amp rating (the actual amp limit is somewhat debatable but it is higher then the original) These also have a black power button, display the ohms of the atomizer/cartomizer and as far as I know all use PWM. There are a few versions, the V1.5 (these are the ones with the original style top caps) and may have a flaw in the design. Many people are still using these with no issues, but they would not be considered a reliable mod. Then there are the version 1.5t, which the manufacturer claims does not have the defect, you can tell the 1.5t as it has the newer flat style cap. These devices may claim 3.2 amps or even 4 amps. Then supposedly there are the version 2, which use the newer cap style and are claiming 4 amps, these devices are newer and as far as I know have not hit stateside yet.

The pulse width modulation in the young june lavatubes is not widely understood, many reviewers don't mention it, as typically pulse width modulation is created by using stacked batteries and not boosting a single battery so they don't know about it. There was another thread where a member hooked his lavatube up to a scope and found that the device would pulse itself to 9.5 watts (no matter the ohms) and that changing the voltage would only change the on time of the pulses (with 6.0 being 9.5 watts @ 100%). These results have not been verified, so while they are most likely true, it is unknown whether these are a specific version (or manufacturer as Young June and Uniq are reported to make these versions) or if all the new style lavatubes are being produced this way.

I own a v1.5, it hits great, I have had no problems with the device or the power it has put out yet... I will be exchanging these out via CCV for the new one, as I'd rather not take a chance on a device with a possible flaw, but until then I remove the battery when out of arms reach and have had no problems or complaints personally with the device. A friend of mine has what is believed to be a 1.5t, (newer top caps), marketed as a varitube and he's enjoyed his device as well with no problems (the ohm reading went a bit wierd and was jumping around the place for a few days but the problem has gone away and not recurred).

billherbst

Vaping Master
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 21, 2010
Columbia, Missouri
www.billherbst.com
Fakes? Knock-offs? I think that's a matter of opinion. All the Vtube components are standard, off-the-shelf parts. Is the form factor (meaning the size, design, and appearance of the device) bonafide intellectual property? I don't know, but that's an issue for Chinese courts to decide. After all, this is capitalism: Bring a product to market, and other companies will follow suit in competition, whether legal or not. I mean, think Betamax vs. VHS, Coke vs. Pepsi (and every other cola), Chevy/Ford vs. Honda/Toyota (and now Hyundai/Kia). It's all about building a less expensive and hopefully better mousetrap.

Case in point: The original eGo was manufactured by JoyeTech, but it had the built-in limitation of being regulated to 3.3 volts. Numerous other manufacturers duplicated the eGo form factor. Some improved on the original. Do we regard the far superior kGo batteries as fakes or knock-offs? No, we call them eGo-clones.

In the same way, the original Lavatube (v1.0) was manufactured by L-Rider, which has since come out with a cosmetic revision (chrome plating) for what it calls v.2.0. Both versions have the built-in limitation of a 2.5 amp limit (and the invisible voltage drop that aggravated so many users) and no resistance checking. Yes, those units are stable and dependable, but their performance disappointed some users.

The new versions called v1.5 and v1.5t from Uniq/Young June offer a higher amp limit (roughly 3 amps, with an unusually creative implementation of pulse width modulation that gives a more powerful vape) plus single-click resistance checking. The v1.5t also has sleeker all-metal end caps and a flush 510 connection. Yes, the first production run of the v1.5 had a serious flaw (one of the three chips could short and cause a meltdown, which did happen at least once that we know of), but---according to Young June---that design error has been fixed in subsequent production runs of the v1.5 and v1.5t. There's also a power-down glitch that results in "zombie low-voltage mode," but that glitch hasn't produced any outcry from users. So, in my view, it's a trade-off. The Young June Vtubes have a minor flaw (the power-down glitch) in exchange for improved functionality (resistance checking) and better performance (more power and no stealth voltage drop).

Young June is now coming out with their v2.0, which has chrome plating, the eGo-style 510 connector with the spring-loaded positive pin, and a 4-amp limit. L-Rider should soon follow with their v3.0, but I don't know the specs for that version. Presumably, it will include a higher amp limit and resistance checking.

Basically, you pay your money, you take your choice. Personally, I feel no particular allegiance to L-Rider, and I like the resistance checking and better performance of the Young June v1.5t. I also have a chrome v2.0 on the way soon from CrystalClearVaping as a replacement/exchange for the v1.5 I bought from them. Other people may prefer to wait and see how L-Rider responds to the challenge of what I regard as stiff competition.

By the way, all L-Rider Vtubes have a red power button, whereas the power button on the Young June models is the same color as the body.

Freddie

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 19, 2012
The NETWORK
As far as I can tell, there are the L-Rider lavatubes, (some may call them the real or original lavatubes). Those have a 2.5Amp limit use a normal boost circuit for the variable voltage. They have a red power button. There are version 1, and version 2 typically Chrome or SS (Apollo Vtube model only), with an ego style top cap. These units have proven themselves to be a reliable mod for higher ohm applications (2-3 ohm single coils or similar type devices recommended)

Then there are the Uniq/Young June Lavatubes. These all claim to have a higher amp rating (the actual amp limit is somewhat debatable but it is higher then the original) These also have a black power button, display the ohms of the atomizer/cartomizer and as far as I know all use PWM. There are a few versions, the V1.5 (these are the ones with the original style top caps) and may have a flaw in the design. Many people are still using these with no issues, but they would not be considered a reliable mod. Then there are the version 1.5t, which the manufacturer claims does not have the defect, you can tell the 1.5t as it has the newer flat style cap. These devices may claim 3.2 amps or even 4 amps. Then supposedly there are the version 2, which use the newer cap style and are claiming 4 amps, these devices are newer and as far as I know have not hit stateside yet.

The pulse width modulation in the young june lavatubes is not widely understood, many reviewers don't mention it, as typically pulse width modulation is created by using stacked batteries and not boosting a single battery so they don't know about it. There was another thread where a member hooked his lavatube up to a scope and found that the device would pulse itself to 9.5 watts (no matter the ohms) and that changing the voltage would only change the on time of the pulses (with 6.0 being 9.5 watts @ 100%). These results have not been verified, so while they are most likely true, it is unknown whether these are a specific version (or manufacturer as Young June and Uniq are reported to make these versions) or if all the new style lavatubes are being produced this way.

I own a v1.5, it hits great, I have had no problems with the device or the power it has put out yet... I will be exchanging these out via CCV for the new one, as I'd rather not take a chance on a device with a possible flaw, but until then I remove the battery when out of arms reach and have had no problems or complaints personally with the device. A friend of mine has what is believed to be a 1.5t, (newer top caps), marketed as a varitube and he's enjoyed his device as well with no problems (the ohm reading went a bit wierd and was jumping around the place for a few days but the problem has gone away and not recurred).
There is NO 4 amp switch for the NEW CHROME 2.0 LT! It has a 3.2 amp switch and is made by UNIQ(Young Jun)! It is already released!

Freddie

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 19, 2012
The NETWORK
Thats the chrome version of the v1 I believe cyrus. Some market it as V2 as said above. It has a 2.5 amp limit. And if Freddie is right that means the new chrome LT has the same amp limit as ver 1.5 and 1.5t so its just a chrome version of 1.5's
Bro I am right! Vapor Beast has them!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread