Question on this pulse modulation thing

Status
Not open for further replies.

SnowDragon

Moved On
ECF Veteran
Jul 28, 2010
Boise, Idaho
The ProVari does not use PWM it is a single 3.7v battery device. Without getting techie the ProVari uses a boost circuit to amplify the voltage. The Ovale V8 like the Vmax or SVR utilizes 2 3.7v battery which when fully charged gives the unit 8.4v or twice the voltage of the ProVari.

Below is a vid on PWM

The Science of Vaping: Pulse Width Modulation (PWM) - YouTube

I don't really dabble too much in Lava Tubes, but I believe the Lava Tube/Starfire VV use a step down buck switch regulator.

These are 3 different ways of adjusting or manipulating voltage.

Last edited:

DaveP

PV Master & Musician
ECF Veteran
May 22, 2010
Central GA
I haven't run a scope output on my Provari, but it works just fine with an inline digital voltmeter, unlike my eGo that uses pulse modulation. With the eGo, it just flashes as the pulse train passes alternately to zero and back to peak voltage. On the Provari, it reads exactly what it's set on ... well, at the 4.0v setting it reads a steady 3.99v on the inline digital. We'll give it 1/100 of a volt and call it exact. :)

hificat101

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 18, 2011
PA
I haven't run a scope output on my Provari, but it works just fine with an inline digital voltmeter, unlike my eGo that uses pulse modulation. With the eGo, it just flashes as the pulse train passes alternately to zero and back to peak voltage. On the Provari, it reads exactly what it's set on ... well, at the 4.0v setting it reads a steady 3.99v on the inline digital. We'll give it 1/100 of a volt and call it exact. :)

Hi Dave. Some PWM will work fine with meters, and some won't. Not sure as to the reason, but I'm almost positive my Altioids mod I got from smartvapes.com uses a Murata 3A or 6A regulator, which is a switching regulator, and it has a meter in it that works fine. If I had to venture a guess, I'd say either the frequency, or the cycle of some regulators don't play well with meters.

xpen

ECF Veteran
Jun 18, 2012
Italy
yes, PWM (when implemented properly, like in the provari v2) does help maintaining a constant vaping experience (voltage) while the battery discharges.

some of the devices using PWM, like for instance the kick/DNA/darwin by evolvapor, even manage to maintain a constant wattage output regardless of the resistance of the atomizer(s) in use.

to answer your last question, recent lavatubes (so-called v1.5) do use PWM for maintaining constant voltage; I had a LT v1.5 and it worked decently, even though its PWM wasn't able to actually deliver the voltage shown on the display, under load.

hope this helps.

I am assuming from reading different stuff this pulse modulation feature really make the vape. I saw somewhere the provari has this as well as the Ovale V8. I was wondering if these new versions of the Lavatube or the Starfire VV have it?

tj99959

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
  • Aug 13, 2011
    utah
    yes, PWM (when implemented properly, like in the provari v2) does help maintaining a constant vaping experience (voltage) while the battery discharges.

some of the devices using PWM, like for instance the kick/DNA/darwin by evolvapor, even manage to maintain a constant wattage output regardless of the resistance of the atomizer(s) in use.

to answer your last question, recent lavatubes (so-called v1.5) do use PWM for maintaining constant voltage; I had a LT v1.5 and it worked decently, even though its PWM wasn't able to actually deliver the voltage shown on the display, under load.

hope this helps.

That's because the 1.5 is made by Young-June, and is not a L-Rider.

Rader2146

Ultra Member
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Mar 11, 2012
    Waco, TX
    All switching regulators are a type of pulse width modulation. The difference is whether you are receiving raw signal, or a filtered signal. Output capacitors and inductors provide the filtered signal. When the regulator's internal switch is closed, power is flowing to the atty and also charging the inductor and output capacitor similtaniously. When the switch opens, power from the batteries is stopped and the inductor and capacitor discharge to keep steady flow of power to the atty. Repeat the process a thousand times per second. A properly matched inductor and capacitor takes the square wave of raw signal and filters it nearly flat.

Status
    Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread