New Lavatube Tech Stuff

Status
Not open for further replies.

Blitzer

Jul 2, 2010
Germany
Well, I can deal with the button. I am thinking like you, that the Ego-C twist is more trouble than it's worth.

I went to Czech a few weeks back, and scored a few EGO-t kits DIRT CHEAP at a swap meet. (15 euros a kit- about $19)
2 ea. 1100 mah batteries in each kit w/very nice colors.
I ditched the Ego tank parts and put LR cartos on the batts with cones.
Now that's a nice pocket friendly setup, to tide me over until the LT 1 mini's go on sale! (or whatever the next big thing is)

I also have an indulgence, but it's just not scratching me right since I got the LT. The egos are working better.

Thanks for the info on the LT mini's!

videodave

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 17, 2012
Orlando, Florida, US
Blitzer,
I also understand about 50%of your original post in this thread. Actually I understand the theory of PWM but not all the math. What does have me confused though is your comment about cutting the upper wire on a DCC. Aren't they just two coils wired in series? So why doesn't cutting the top wire leave you with an open that does absolutly nothing? I am confused again!

Blitzer

Jul 2, 2010
Germany
Blitzer,
I also understand about 50%of your original post in this thread. Actually I understand the theory of PWM but not all the math. What does have me confused though is your comment about cutting the upper wire on a DCC. Aren't they just two coils wired in series? So why doesn't cutting the top wire leave you with an open that does absolutly nothing? I am confused again!

No, the dual coil cartos have 2 coils in parallel. The top loop of wire you can see sticking up through the filler material
can be snipped easily with small scissors. Make sure and spead the snipped wires a little, and then measure. You will have double the resistance as before, and only be using one coil. I do it all the time. Works great!

Blitzer

Jul 2, 2010
Germany
I wish they'd make a dually wired in series. 2 coils at 1.5 ohms for a 3 0hm device. The the advatange it'd have over a single coil 3 ohm is the coils would be spaced out in filler allowing more juice to each. Not sure it'd be better but it seems like it would to me.

I see your point. I am not a coil expert, but seems like lower res coils would be made out of bigger guage wire to give lower resistance. Putting 2 of these coils might give longer lasting cartos. The down side is if either burns out, the carto would be dead. Putting them in parallel, if 1 burns you still have the other. (for a little while!)

Did you see that sure vapes deal on Boge cartos? 5 boxex for 23 bucks with free shipping. I got 10 boxes coming!

mindshatter

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 31, 2012
Chicago, IL
I am starting to care less and less about numbers, I really only care what it vapes like. But I sure do love to read the details when someone takes the time to test something. So thank you for the time spent testing this. I have the Varitube X and this thing is flat out awesome. I have vaped it side by side with lots of other variable voltage devices and I believe it is in highest class of VV's. You can certainly argue that the build quality is not as high as the Provari or some of the other higher end VV's, but in my hand I prefer the feel of the LT. The firing button is a perfect spot for me. It is comfortable, and it is not too heavy. The cost is hard to argue though. $69 shipped for a whole kit from vapor beast for a full size or a mini LT 1.5 is in my opinion the best deal in vaping. Now you add in a crazy deal like $23 for 25 boge XL LR's and you are budget vaping for a long time without having to sacrifice flavor, vapor, or throat hit!

Another thanks to Blitzer for the heads up on the sure vapes deal. Just ordered 25 XL LR.

Blitzer

Jul 2, 2010
Germany
You know, I agree with you. I wanted to look under the hood and see what was going on.
Been there, done that. It all boils down to "am I enjoying this device?". Yes, I am. Let somebody else crunch numbers!

This LT feels good, vapes like a freight train, not too big. I can use it with cartos and tanks, and thats all I really need.
It could use a connection point to put a lanyard on it! I find myself panicking that I have left my LT somewhere!

Glad you got in on that awesome carto deal!

unloaded

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 2, 2011
SW. Indiana
SR Boges are sold out. I'll check back later to see if they get more. Thats what I put on the wife's LT v.1 and they work out great. I've got an Ody on my 1.5 right now. Seems strange to have an atty that cost more than the mod but thats what I've been doing for a while. Running a 3 ohm coil in it at 4.5-5.5v depending on the juice. The combo rocks! Might get a mechanical mod for it later.

cozzicon

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 19, 2010
Chicago IL
I knew this would be way too technical for most folks, but felt this research needed to be done.

I guess the thumbnail sketch would be:

The new Lavatube acts like it is wattage regulated under the hood. 9.5 watts on mine.

The current limit everyone is confused about (4 amps, 3.2 amps, 2.6 amps)- seems to be 3amps. (at 1 ohm)
Haven't seen any cartos less than 1.25 ohms, so I can't test this.

I have at least shown myself why the lavatube at 3.7 volts, is much more powerful than another 3.7 ecig.
It's the pulse width modulation, and technical people should understand.

Yup- I understood.

I have a general dislike of PWM for these applications. And this is not a criticism of your fine work or of other opinions, simply my technical take as a technical person.

PWM was originally used on eGo style batteries. I've had them on a scope and generally they are about 3.5 volt pulses. I can't remember the actual duty cycle, however it was inconsequential. In that situation, my guess is that Joyetech did this to extend battery life by reducing battery use. The same battery sans the PWM cirduit did not appear to vape differently.

On the unit you tested, it's apparent they are using PWM as *regulation* not of voltage, but of energy in the form of power. This has a couple of design issues which bother me. First setting a voltage is not setting a voltage, but rather setting the frequency of the pulses, apparently calibrated against the wattage output of what would be presumed to be DC current at a particular voltage/ohm combination.

I'm just spitballing in the following (Too tired to get out a calculator):

But it appears to me that that a given voltage setting on this e-cig would not perform the same as a normal DC e-cig at the same voltage. Delivering average voltage (via PWM) as *regulation* on a variable *voltage* e-cig is a whole different game I would assume.

So "hitting harder" at a given voltage, is a technical mirage- because a straight DC e-cig, at a higher regulated voltage would presumably perform the same.

That being said, I've also looked into vaping atties with a saw-tooth or non sinusoidal wave form. And there was a *percieved* difference in vape, but again it was a mirage. Energy, in the form of wattage, isn't made more powerful by the presence of a wave form rather than DC.

So having played around with this, the two methods are a draw, with DC regulation having a small advantage. The small advantage was simply that what volts were applied resulted in the proper wattage, based on the display on the unit (Lavatube, Darwin, Kick, or Provari).

But again- the bottom line is "does it vape". If it vapes- I'm happy with it. But the geek factor is always entertaining :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread