Lavatube issues... what would you do?

Status
Not open for further replies.

kalojado

ECF Veteran
May 2, 2009
Dayton, Ohio Area
So last month I ordered a black lavatube and I liked it, but my plus (+) button was recessed in and I sent it back in for a replacement. With Volcano being in Hawaii and me in Ohio, it took 2-3 weeks to get it back. Thats fine, no issue there. Well they called and said that they were out of the black so I originally said send me the red... and they called to confirm because it is more pink then red. So I changed my mind and said to just send me the silver. Finally after a long few days of anxiously waiting for it I got my lavatube in the mail yesterday. First impressions out of the package it looked used. It has scuff marks on it that wont rub off and had some sort of sticky material on the end cap that did rub off. Thats fine, I was willing to overlook it because I just wanted to use the lavatube and I know eventually I will scuff it up on my own or whatever.

Problem is today, my end cap separated from the spring part and totally fell off. It looks as if it was on there with just a little bit of glue. Now I suppose that I could send it back but it will be another 2-3 week wait I am sure. Honestly I could probably throw some superglue on there and it may be fine... but I wanted to see what you guys thought. Should I just shut up and deal with it because it is a "cheaper" mod? I dont have a ton of mods and I know they are mass produced and what not... but I am not working and this was a birthday present to me from my wife and I dont have a ton of money to spend.. so this was quite a treat for me. Besides these cosmetic issues, the thing works great. I am really loving it. I could probably send it back and use an eGo in the meantime (ugh) but I thought I would ask you guys and see if I should even waste my time... I kind of thought they would make sure I got a good one since my first one had issues... but I guess I was wrong. What would you do?

****UPDATE: Hey, I just wanted to let everyone know that Volcano customer service has already gotten back to me the very same day and we are resolving the situation to my satisfaction. They were really apologetic and took care of the situation right away. I just wanted to let everyone know. I even told him I could just super glue it like in my original post, and I think other suppliers may have told me to go ahead and do it.... but they are getting me a new replacement... So thanks for all of your input. I was on the fence if I wanted to write them or not and now I am glad I did :) Kudos to Volcanos customer service!****

Last edited:

Batsu

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 18, 2010
oregon
i would complain to volcano about it. if you paid for something new, you should get something new, a certain degree of wear and tear and breakdown is expected with any product, but so soon? i dont think so, cheaper mod or not, money was spent and you should feel you got the moneys worth out of it. you bought it new, it has a warranty, and its falling apart. not ok in my book.

Keeno

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 20, 2011
Indiana
I would never just shut up because it's a cheaper mod if that is your overriding concern.....you have a one year warranty and I would personally hold them to it.....:).....it's obviously an individual choice but imo they, Volcano, need to realize what they are sending back to customers isn't acceptable at least in your instance and hold them accountable...a refurbed tarnished product...that's a no no in my book. Be nice but yet be very firm....good luck and keep us updated on your decision and/or progress.

Last edited:

L7D4N

Ice Cream!
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 30, 2011
Dallas, Texas
After I read the initial issues with the battery cap, I broke the plastic cap off myself before it had a chance to get stuck in the tube, and super glued it together. I haven't had an issue since, and it's been working great.

Mine also came with what appeared to be scratch marks, but after some scraping with my finger nail it came off without a problem. Looks 100% now.

Don't worry, my "-" button no longer has a tactile "click" to it anymore, and I'm in the same debacle in whether I will even bother Volcano with the warranty replacement. My LT will be going into the box of spare mods once I get a Pro-Vari, and it will only be used for testing/spare/home. I can also use the "+" button to go back down to 3v, so I suppose there's that too.

I'd keep it and super-glue it. If you get a replacement, you'll receive another substandard cap, and you'll be back to square one.

kalojado

ECF Veteran
May 2, 2009
Dayton, Ohio Area
i would complain to volcano about it. if you paid for something new, you should get something new, a certain degree of wear and tear and breakdown is expected with any product, but so soon? i dont think so, cheaper mod or not, money was spent and you should feel you got the moneys worth out of it. you bought it new, it has a warranty, and its falling apart. not ok in my book.

Yeah, thats kinda how I feel. I know its "cheaper" and what not... but $75 bucks to me is $75. I don't have a bunch of money to spend and it was a nice treat for me to be able to get this. Its just gonna suck if I have to send it back and be without again for the next 2-3 weeks, lol.

Keeno

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 20, 2011
Indiana
After I read the initial issues with the battery cap, I broke the plastic cap off myself before it had a chance to get stuck in the tube, and super glued it together. I haven't had an issue since, and it's been working great.

Mine also came with what appeared to be scratch marks, but after some scraping with my finger nail it came off without a problem. Looks 100% now.

Don't worry, my "-" button no longer has a tactile "click" to it anymore, and I'm in the same debacle in whether I will even bother Volcano with the warranty replacement. My LT will be going into the box of spare mods once I get a Pro-Vari, and it will only be used for testing/spare/home. I can also use the "+" button to go back down to 3v, so I suppose there's that too.

I'd keep it and super-glue it. If you get a replacement, you'll receive another substandard cap, and you'll be back to square one.

With all due respect to your thoughts and opinions I would say that the OP under the described circumstance take care of it now and quicky by placing a call and submitting another ticket if he has any intention of getting what he is due because of the fact he's already been sent a refurb(my opinion) so the issue is already on the griddle fresh so to speak....again, for me it just boils down to personal choice.....:)

Enjoy the Provari when ya get it....:)

Last edited:

kalojado

ECF Veteran
May 2, 2009
Dayton, Ohio Area
I would never just shut up because it's a cheaper mod if that is your overriding concern.....you have a one year warranty and I would personally hold them to it.....:).....it's obviously an individual choice but imo they, Volcano, need to realize what they are sending back to customers isn't acceptable at least in your instance and hold them accountable...a refurbed tarnished product...that's a no no in my book. Be nice but yet be very firm....good luck and keep us updated on your decision and/or progress.

Yeah, I think you are right. I am at least going to bring it to their attention and see where it gets me. Thanks for responding, I kinda felt the same way and wanted to se eif people thought I was just being stupid...

kalojado

ECF Veteran
May 2, 2009
Dayton, Ohio Area

Yeah, the bottom of mine had some sticky stuff on it that I was able to scrape off with my fingernail... but the scuff marks on the actual unit wont come off. Trust me, I tried, lol. It really looks like it has been used. I was pretty disappointed when I received it but was going to use it because its my only working mod at the moment. Thanks for taking the time to write me back. I will keep you guys updated on what happens...

Keeno

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 20, 2011
Indiana
Yeah, thats kinda how I feel. I know its "cheaper" and what not... but $75 bucks to me is $75. I don't have a bunch of money to spend and it was a nice treat for me to be able to get this. Its just gonna suck if I have to send it back and be without again for the next 2-3 weeks, lol.

Perhaps if your nice and convincing enough you can talk them into sending your new one out at the same time you ship your current refurbed one.....lol.....may sound crazy but crazier things have been done....

kalojado

ECF Veteran
May 2, 2009
Dayton, Ohio Area
One other thing I wanted to ask you guys... On the little window that shows the voltage, is yours flush with the unit or is there a gap? I know that may sound confusing... but mine is kinda curved inwards and has a gap at the top and the bottom where stuff could get down in there. I would think I could get a needle down in there, but I was also thinking water and dirt could easily get in there. I don't remember it being that way on the original one I had, but it was black and I may just not have noticed...

kalojado

ECF Veteran
May 2, 2009
Dayton, Ohio Area
Perhaps if your nice and convincing enough you can talk them into sending your new one out at the same time you ship your current refurbed one.....lol.....may sound crazy but crazier things have been done....

Haha, I wish. I thought they would have done that for me the first time. There was a little more to the story that I didnt want to mention... but lets just say they screwed up and I helped them out. I really don't want to mention it in a public forum, but I and some other customers could have had a big issue with them...

Scotay87

ECF Veteran
Jul 20, 2011
Pacific North West

Did you have to pay for the shipping on the initial return? If so I would push for them to pay for it this time. Regardless if you have back ups by all means I would be sending it back.

kalojado

ECF Veteran
May 2, 2009
Dayton, Ohio Area
Did you have to pay for the shipping on the initial return? If so I would push for them to pay for it this time. Regardless if you have back ups by all means I would be sending it back.

No, they paid shipping. The one good thing has been their customer service. They were generally quick to get back to me and was really nice. It was even good of them to call me and ask if I wanted the red one because it is very pink... and being a guy, nothing wrong with that, but I don't want a pink mod....

Keeno

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 20, 2011
Indiana
No, they paid shipping. The one good thing has been their customer service. They were generally quick to get back to me and was really nice. It was even good of them to call me and ask if I wanted the red one because it is very pink... and being a guy, nothing wrong with that, but I don't want a pink mod....

I have heard ALOT of good things about their customer service and any concerns I have had have been dealt with very well. No complaints from me.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread