Lavatube Noob Thread - ??? about LAVATUBES and Accessories for them...Post your questions here....

Status
Not open for further replies.

Errol

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 4, 2010
Salt lake City, Ut
Oh, and don't bet that I can't screw it up. I edited this cuz at first I thought the drip tip didn't go on anything, but it did, just took more effort than I was used to. Didn't think it went at first.

It does appear that I'll need an adapter of some sort. My vivi has no draw unless I'm doing something wrong, and the stardust won't screw on at all. I do have some boge cartos. Don't like em, but I will try one for now so I can at least try this thing. I'm gonna get off here for awhile since it's starting to thunder/lightning a bit, but will check back later.

Congratulations Deb, you deserve it. If your SS PV has the red button that means it's an L-Rider and it doesn't have the ability to read your vaporizer ohms. Reading ohms is a feature of the Young June V1.5.

Errol

Debadoo

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 18, 2012
Texas, near Fort Hood
Thanks errol!! It does have the red button. The only thing I've been able to use on it so far has been boge 510 2.0 ohm cartos, since my vivi won't draw at all, and the stardusts won't screw on, they just keep turning. The live chat lady at apollo said that was very odd since they should work, and she was emailing a supervisor who would email me, so I'll see what he/she says. But even on the boge, the flavor difference is amazing! The atty that came with it works, but is really icky. I am sure it just needs to break in, but not up to that tonite so much. I get burnt flavor when I turn it up above 4.1 and no flavor around 4.1 or lower. lol

Errol

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 4, 2010
Salt lake City, Ut
Thanks errol!! It does have the red button. The only thing I've been able to use on it so far has been boge 510 2.0 ohm cartos, since my vivi won't draw at all, and the stardusts won't screw on, they just keep turning. The live chat lady at apollo said that was very odd since they should work, and she was emailing a supervisor who would email me, so I'll see what he/she says. But even on the boge, the flavor difference is amazing! The atty that came with it works, but is really icky. I am sure it just needs to break in, but not up to that tonite so much. I get burnt flavor when I turn it up above 4.1 and no flavor around 4.1 or lower. lol

Rachel's the expert on what will fit and what's needed for what won't fit, sure she'll get with you soon. There is a learning curve with VV units but it's a pleasant ending. :)

Errol

orachel

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 2, 2010
Mesa, Arizona...USA
K, on the fly so didn't read replies, so chances are most of this is double info from what other people already told ya, Deb... you need a '3.5ml tank cone' to make the vivi nova work and look best, and a '510 to 510 shorty adapter' to make the stardust work... if you click the 1 next to my blog post, it'll show you what they both look like and explain why. ;) Nova isn't pictured, but works just like the 5ml dual coil tank, and takes same adapters. And you got the v 1.5 (lots of things were being called 1.5, but 1.5 from Apollo doesn't have resistance meter, sorry!). However, you'll definitely want some kind of a meter if you don't already have one, eventually, and reason i'm saying that is my buddy's nova heads were all a good ohm higher than they were supposed to be. Not a big deal with the v 1.5 (because of that amp restriction, will only let you vape em as high as 2.5amps combined), but don't want you thinking you're vaping something 2.2ohm at 5v, if you're really vaping 3.2 ohm at 5v, cause that'll screw you up with figuring out your sweet spot, and what to order in the future, I think. No biggie for the short term, though. AND someone just mentioned a Nova that didn't need an adapter, so might wanna check back a page or so and see if we've figured out which version that is, or where he got it, so future novas can be ones you won't need adapter for. ;) But for the time being, just grab yourself those two adapters (I'd check madvapes, have some links in blog post, cause they'll be under $5 combined, there, I'm thinking..but you can get those two adapters just about anywhere. Think ccv has them both with free shipping, but they're a little more, each.). In the meantime, hoping you have some regular variety of clearos, like ce2s, or something, that you can vape for the time being? Crossing fingers~! So sorry, keep hoping Apollo will update the description on site to include need for adapters so people can get em ahead of time, but since they're selling em clearance now, guess they're getting something new in future.

orachel

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 2, 2010
Mesa, Arizona...USA
BTW, if anyone is wondering where Deb won the chrome vtube, and I myself won a dct, its here, in Apollo's snazzy new contest thread! You can jump in anytime, its an ongoing 'pick numbers' game, and the more rounds you're around to choose for, the more 'entries' you have when they pick prize winners! BUT cool thing is they're picking a TON of winners... always a big winner of a game, but there's smaller prizes throughout as well. Definitely one of the winningest threads on ecf. Here's the link for that one... Just read rules on first page, go to last page, and find a game board, and if you get confused, someone will help... fun chatter thread, too!
http://www.e-cigarette-forum.com/fo...read-win-ss-vv-kit-1000-vtubes-per-round.html

apuck

ECF Veteran
Jan 17, 2012
Washington State

I too use the heck out of Stardusts, and my Vivi Nova, and I also have the SS Vtube from Apollo. Rachel is spot on as always, the 3.5 tank cone for the Vivi, and 510-510 shorty for the Stardusts. Great thing about both of the adapters is that you can't see either of them so you won't have to worry about them making your device ugly. Also just a heads up if you plan on getting an Apollo/E2 tank you will also need a 510-eGo adapter for that, so may just want to throw one in an order just in case for the future or whatever. Madvapes, Discountvapers, and several others carry all three of these of adapters pretty cheap (a couple of bucks apiece).

orachel

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 2, 2010
Mesa, Arizona...USA
Good call on the 510 to ego, apuck. That's really something every vaper needs in their arsenal, esp since so much is being made 'ego specific' these days. And yay, Hill Giant! Enjoy!

And Deb, finally got semi caught up, and thrilled you at least have your 2.0 boge to tide you over. Those will vape great at about 5vmax, off top of my head, so hoping you're getting a nice vape while you're waiting on your adapters. And Hill Giant... sorry, my memory is horrific... if you got a chrome or a stainless tube (disregard if you got a black, silver or red powdercoated one... you'll only need the ego to 510 with that tube, likely), you may well wanna spend the $6 bucks or so to pick up those three adapters, since you'll almost certainly need em at some point. The 3.5ml tank cone will tighten up your draw on just about any cartos or tank, the 510 to 510 'shorty' adapter will make most ego stuff work that won't quite screw onto the ego connection (like stardust/ce4 stuff) and the 510 to ego is essential for stuff like Apollo/e2 tank. But between those three adapters, you're pretty set for any carto or tank setup you wanna use on the chrome/stainless. I know its a little confusing, but if you have a few bucks, you'll be saving yourself a lil trauma getting em now rather than waiting till you need em for a carto you get in vapemail, then have to wait another week for adapter to show up. lol

Oh, and Deb... if you happen to notice your draw is a little 'airy' with the boge 2s, if you put that 3.5ml tank cone on it (will barely see it) with the boge, it'll tighten up the draw significantly. So adapters aren't just for stuff that won't work without em, necessarily. I know the whole adapter thing is a lil confusing, and some of the adapters that work on the chrome/stainless seem a little 'backward' from what you would use on another device, but promise we told ya the right ones for the right devices, even if it seems off. lol

Debadoo

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 18, 2012
Texas, near Fort Hood
Thanks y'all!! My head is spinnin right now, so will come back and revisit this after I've had some sleep. And also will bounce another suggestion off y'all that someone else gave me. I was really not thrilled that all I had (I thought was the boge's) cuz I really do NOT like filler cartos. I'd basically ignored everything I had since I got my vivi and been using only that, but last night I remembered, I had phx's!! I think they're ce3's?? The syringe fill kind. Yea!! So those made me happy! Also thanks for posting the link to the contest, I totally forgot!

orachel

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 2, 2010
Mesa, Arizona...USA
Well, not quite, but you're very very close. The way I understand it, Lrider created the first tubes (volcano may well have assisted in original development specs, that I'm not sure of at all), and Volcano thought they had an ironclad 'exclusive' licensing agreement to them.. they were selling a kit for $100. BUT turns out, all they licensed was the name, so Lrider was free to sell the tubes to any vendor, but the other vendors weren't free to call them 'lavatubes', since that proprietary name belonged to Volcano. But they were in fact exact same device. For a while there, I'd say a good 6-8mos or so, ALL lavatubes, by any other name, were in fact identical lrider tubes, not clones... but just marketed as different names, much the same as the E2 tank is now being marketed as apollo/excalibur extreme, etc etc.. but still all same E2 tank. Make sense? So for many moons, all 'tubes' were lrider quote/unquote 'lavatubes'. But a few mos ago, Young June got in on the game, and I'm winging it here, but I wanna say there's 3+ manufacturers total making all the tubes now, so now there are actual 'clones' out there. Only in this case, clone specs are actually superior in a lot of ways, and now there's a few manuf developing sort of parallel but differing 'lavatube' lines simultaneously. So this is why you have the 'new' tech coming out with a young june tube in chrome, with a 3.5-4 amp restriction, resistance meter, and nice solid chrome body, up against the slightly older lrider tube (came out before JY unit, is much more 'tested' in marketplace, looks near identical bodywise to young june chrome unit, and the phil busardo quick peek comparison of the two explains differences) with the original v1 internals, no resistance meter, 2.5 amp restriction in chrome/stainless, up against the new manufacturer unstated (all we know is it is NOT lrider) volcano tube with new more provari-esque body type, blue display, internal resistance meter, 3 amp restriction device... and all these devices are simultaneously in the marketplace as we speak, or only a few days from release. It CAN get very confusing, whereas for a while there, all tubes were essentially the same, and it was only a matter of finding the best price/warranty/add ons. Now you need to know the manufacturer of your device, specs, and even more confusing, a few of the 'clone' vendors are playing a little fast and loose with the specs with some past versions. Sigh... So that's what we're here for, to sorta help each other figure out this quagmire of 'affordable' lavatube esque devices. lol But, what that means to us is that there are continually new developments in tech, in more and more affordable units. These companies are essentially competing and driving price down, while all trying to 'one up' each other on features. Its all good for us, except for a bit of confusion. The only thing I'd caution you guys against is 'chasing' new tech. If you have a tube you're happy with, then no worries on all this new stuff coming out, unless you see a feature that is REALLY desirable to you, or you decide you need a new one. That's the point at which you wanna check manufacturer specs and track record, and start hunting for reviews (just make sure you're looking at reviews of exact unit you're interested in.. and we can help with that.). Really, within the last few days or so is the first time I've been comfortable with the new tubes coming out with higher amp limits, since the first ones seem to have been either dangerously glitchy or had misstated specs. But just now, we're starting to see the first serious strides toward a higher amp 'lavatube' device in a reliable unit. Kind of exciting.

If you ever wanna really boggle your mind, check out Alibaba (that's a bulk site where most vendors buy their tubes in bulk) search for lavatube. Mind blowing. lol And there's a LOT of guys in the game now.
http://www.alibaba.com/trade/search?SearchText=lavatube&IndexArea=Products&fsb=y

Last edited:

The Hill Giant

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 5, 2012
Providence
Well, not quite, but you're very very close. The way I understand it, Lrider created the first tubes (volcano may well have assisted in original development specs, that I'm not sure of at all), and Volcano thought they had an ironclad 'exclusive' licensing agreement to them.. they were selling a kit for $100. BUT turns out, all they licensed was the name, so Lrider was free to sell the tubes to any vendor, but the other vendors weren't free to call them 'lavatubes', since that proprietary name belonged to Volcano. But they were in fact exact same device. For a while there, I'd say a good 6-8mos or so, ALL lavatubes, by any other name, were in fact identical lrider tubes, not clones... but just marketed as different names, much the same as the E2 tank is now being marketed as apollo/excalibur extreme, etc etc.. but still all same E2 tank. Make sense? So for many moons, all 'tubes' were lrider quote/unquote 'lavatubes'. But a few mos ago, Young June got in on the game, and I'm winging it here, but I wanna say there's 3+ manufacturers total making all the tubes now, so now there are actual 'clones' out there. Only in this case, clone specs are actually superior in a lot of ways, and now there's a few manuf developing sort of parallel but differing 'lavatube' lines simultaneously. So this is why you have the 'new' tech coming out with a young june tube in chrome, with a 3.5-4 amp restriction, resistance meter, and nice solid chrome body, up against the slightly older lrider tube (came out before JY unit, is much more 'tested' in marketplace, looks near identical bodywise to young june chrome unit, and the phil busardo quick peek comparison of the two explains differences) with the original v1 internals, no resistance meter, 2.5 amp restriction in chrome/stainless, up against the new manufacturer unstated (all we know is it is NOT lrider) volcano tube with new more provari-esque body type, blue display, internal resistance meter, 3 amp restriction device... and all these devices are simultaneously in the marketplace as we speak, or only a few days from release. It CAN get very confusing, whereas for a while there, all tubes were essentially the same, and it was only a matter of finding the best price/warranty/add ons. Now you need to know the manufacturer of your device, specs, and even more confusing, a few of the 'clone' vendors are playing a little fast and loose with the specs with some past versions. Sigh... So that's what we're here for, to sorta help each other figure out this quagmire of 'affordable' lavatube esque devices. lol But, what that means to us is that there are continually new developments in tech, in more and more affordable units. These companies are essentially competing and driving price down, while all trying to 'one up' each other on features. Its all good for us, except for a bit of confusion. The only thing I'd caution you guys against is 'chasing' new tech. If you have a tube you're happy with, then no worries on all this new stuff coming out, unless you see a feature that is REALLY desirable to you, or you decide you need a new one. That's the point at which you wanna check manufacturer specs and track record, and start hunting for reviews (just make sure you're looking at reviews of exact unit you're interested in.. and we can help with that.). Really, within the last few days or so is the first time I've been comfortable with the new tubes coming out with higher amp limits, since the first ones seem to have been either dangerously glitchy or had misstated specs. But just now, we're starting to see the first serious strides toward a higher amp 'lavatube' device in a reliable unit. Kind of exciting.

If you ever wanna really boggle your mind, check out Alibaba (that's a bulk site where most vendors buy their tubes in bulk) search for lavatube. Mind blowing. lol And there's a LOT of guys in the game now.
Lavatube-Lavatube Manufacturers, Suppliers and Exporters on Alibaba.com

So what exactly is the SS Apollo VTube that I bought? The V1?

videodave

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 17, 2012
Orlando, Florida, US
orachel and all,
I was just using the few minutes I had free to catch up on what was happening. Thanks for that contest link orachel, I will play with that later when i get home. I will also post (with links) where and which LT and Vivi Nova I purchased that lets me vape with no adapters or additional hardware. Look for that post around midnight EDT.
-dave

videodave

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 17, 2012
Orlando, Florida, US
AND someone just mentioned a Nova that didn't need an adapter, so might wanna check back a page or so and see if we've figured out which version that is, or where he got it, so future novas can be ones you won't need adapter for.

Well, that someone was me. For some reason the Lavatube (L-Rider V2, which has the same innards as the original) and the Vivi Nova tank (V2) I bought work great together without the use of an adapter or a tank cone. I don't know what the secret is or why, but they do. The Vivi I have (V2) has the air hole directly above the top 510 thread NOT on the knurled ring that makes up the bottom of the tank, which doesn't make sense because that one has natural air-flow with nothing blocking it while my air-hole is covered (that sounds really bad.)
Anyway, I purchased both at Hoosier's E-cig Supply and here is the link for the Lavatube. Hoosiers also sells it as part of a kit. But like orachel I am not a big believer in either the batteries or the charger that come in a kit. Of course, if you are new to mods you might want to get the kit first and then upgrade to better batteries and especially a better charger for safety. Then you can always keep the kit stuff as backup.
Here is the link to the tank.
While your on the site take a look around. They have really good prices on most of their stuff and have a wide selection of drip tips and shields, really tasty and reasonable House Blended juice and hard to find punched and plated DCT cartos with either three holes or one hole. They also have a new rewards system in place plus a coupon code which I think is 5off. If that doesn't work give them a call, Brent is a real nice guy. OK, I didn't mean for this to turn into a commercial but I have been happy with their prices and service.
So anyway, like I said, I don't know why this particular combo works without any extra hardware but it does!
-dave

o0StatiK

Nov 17, 2011
West Milford, NJ
Juices came today!!!!!! My goodness Orachel you were right. Cinnamon Danish Swirl is AMAZING so far. I haven't gotten a full blown kick out of it yet (probably because I didn't fully clean/blow out the old juice but yummy!. Cake Batter so far smells just like butter. I can't wait to try the french toast juice. Smells so good. They even threw in a hand written note to me as well as a free juice! Sample size and 15ml of Strawberry Kiwi that smells yum :D. Thank you for such a great recommendation :)

orachel

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 2, 2010
Mesa, Arizona...USA
rofl, Dave, cracks me up cause I end up sounding like a commercial half of the time, too. SO don't intend to (and btw, I've never said, but I don't get any kickbacks for any recommendations or anything. Oh, that's not true, there's the TVR referral bonus, but that's something everyone can get, not just a me thing), but my end all be all goal is to 'waste' as little moola as humanly possible, vaping. As long as its in my budget (which granted... is pretty restrictive) I don't mind paying for quality, but nothing irks me more than spending money on stuff that flat out doesn't work, or is horrible unusable quality. And literally, the first 2 years I was vaping was non stop dealing with bad vendors (some good ones in there, mind you) and having bad juice order after bad juice order from all the new places I tried. Or when I did find something I loved, I'd find out 6 mos later that I was paying 2.5x the amount for it that I could have been elsewhere. Grrr. lol So that's why I crow about good deals when I find em. ;) Sorta in an effort to provide decent vendor referrals, of places that I know give good product for good value.

And how odd the 2.5 vivi doesn't seem to fit without an adapter, and the 2.0 does. That's a quandry, all right. ;)

And o0static! Yay! Isn't that cinn danish amazing!? I just love it... its my all day vape. Do have to say, the 'doughiness' of it almost made me nauseous the first day cause i vaped it nonstop, but that hasn't happened since, and thats just one of the few juices that everyone seems to like. Now the cake batter I haven't tried. Heard about 5 rave reviews, and one really bad one, so dying to hear how that is. Definitely seems like a flavor I'd enjoy. Loving the 'Cupcake City' from Alice in Vapeland, but that really is a super subtle natural flavored cake sort of thing. Not at all CRAZY vanilla, like the Vanilla Cupcake from AiV. Vastly prefer the Cupcake City cause the Vanilla Cupcake is good at TVR... really good even... but its a little to 'vanilla-y' for me on a regular basis. Kind of like the difference between a light and fluffy buttercream icing quality bakery cake (AiV) and a Twinkie (TVR). Like em both, though, but in terms of TVR vanillas, I vastly prefer the Vanilla Custard for 'strong' vanilla, and the French Vanilla Coffee for a taste of vanilla, myself. Almost tried the cake batter like 3x now, though, so let me know how that is. ;) Oh, and I haven't tried the Strawberry Kiwi yet (almost did a few x) but I LOVE the Strawberry Cheesecake, and the Strawberries and Cream ones. My friend Marie really digs the Sweet Strawberry, that's her end all be all fave, so they seem to do strawberry rather well at tvr. Crossing fingers you love em!

Hoping to play with the Cinnamon Danish Swird DIY flavor I got later today. Been tied up or laid out last few days, so haven't gotten to do it yet. I'll let ya know what I come up with!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread