FDA Left wing Democrat Senators repeat lies about junk formaldehyde study, urge FDA to impose Deeming reg by April

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bill Godshall

Executive Director<br/> Smokefree Pennsylvania
ECF Veteran
Apr 2, 2009

skoony

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jul 31, 2013
saint paul,mn,usa
is it me or is there a concerted rush to get get
e-cig legislation passed nation wide at any level?
with the latest studies showing e-cigs do help
in smoking cessation,nicotine's addictive properties,
and possible non-dependency for lifetime non-tobacco
users and,the addition of thousands of new e-cig
users every week there is a renewed sense of urgency
to get regulations passed before we get to much momentum
going our way.
:2c:
regards
mike

Endor

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 31, 2012
Southern California
Ok, enough is enough. Probably pissing in the wind, but wrote Boxer on her web page. Sharing in case others want to submit similar comments (note that the forum dots out the short version name for 'Richard' Durbin):

Senator Boxer,

As a lifelong resident of the State of California, I feel the need to finally address my concerns regarding your continued attack on electronic cigarettes.

I am a vested stakeholder in this issue, as I was able to fully quit smoking cigarettes with the use of electronic cigarettes over 3 years ago. I consider the use of electronic cigarettes as a harm REDUCTION device; I am not naive to believe they carry no risks whatsoever, but certainly my improvement in health since switching away from tobacco (albeit subjective) certainly indicates they are less harmful that cigarettes.

Recently, I was made aware of a press release by Senator Markley (D-MA) detailing a letter from a Senate group to which you belong (along with Richard Blumenthal (D-CT), Sherrod Brown (D-OH), and .... Durbin (D-IL)) urging the FDA to rush their regulation of electronic cigarettes.

In that letter, the Portland University study that found high levels of formaldehyde in electronic cigarette aerosol was cited as the reason for the urgency in pushing regulation.

Although that study received widespread news coverage, in reality, the study was deeply flawed. The researchers utilized a very old and outdated atomizer device (known as a CE4) that has a top-coil design and relies on capillary action to "wick" the e-liquid from the bottom to the top atomizer.

These units were designed to run at 3.4 to 3.7 volts of power. At that power level, the study itself found no formaldehyde in the aerosol. It wasn't until the researchers bumped up the power to 5v, way beyond what that atomizer was designed for, that formaldehyde was detected.

That is to be expected, because running these devices at that power level will result in a 'dry puff' phenomenology that tastes absolutely horrible and would never be actively 'vaped' by an end-user.

References to further information:
Verified: formaldehyde levels found in the NEJM study were associated with dry puff conditions. An update
Spreading fear and confusion with misleading formaldehyde studies « The counterfactual

Electronic cigarettes have the potential to save millions of early tobacco-related deaths. Certainly most of us who use electronic cigarettes welcome further study, but is is premature to destroy an entire technology (and industry) based on flawed studies, hyperbole, and grandstanding.

I respectfully urge you and your fellow Senators to do the research on this topic, realizing that draconian FDA regulations will destroy 99%+ of the electronic cigarette industry, and drive most of us (myself included) back to tobacco use.

Thank you for taking the time to read my concerns.

Sincerely,

<name>, a concerned electronic cigarette user

DC2

Tootie Puffer
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 21, 2009
San Diego
Ok, enough is enough. Probably pissing in the wind, but wrote Boxer on her web page. Sharing in case others want to submit similar comments (note that the forum dots out the short version name for 'Richard' Durbin):
That's an outstanding "letter" you put through her "Contact Us" link on her website.
I've done that a few times over the years.

I'll be willing to bet you get a response in a few months that doesn't even mention your subject matter.
And invites you to visit her website to hear more about how she wants to Fight For You.

Here is the last response I got from her...
http://www.e-cigarette-forum.com/fo...hange-tobacco-control-act-2.html#post15045411

I strongly suggest you save that outstanding "letter" for future use.
That way it won't be wasted on the deaf and dumb.
:)

Endor

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 31, 2012
Southern California
Glad to hear it is helpful, WhiteHighlights.

I did notice later that my spelling auto-correct fudged up "phenomenon" (made it "phenomenology", whatever that means)... argh. Just making you aware in case you cut-and-paste some of it. :)

I also meant to thank Bill Godshall (again) for continuing to keep us vapers informed.

midficollege

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 8, 2011
Texas
As a CT resident, I'd just like to apologize for our (collectively) having sent Blumenthal to DC. Unfortunately, there's no way to get rid of him until he decides to retire, and he's so full of his own self-importance and political immunity that he won't listen to anything I or anyone else would say to him.

fogging_katrider

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 31, 2013
Tennessee USA
Thank God the damn Democrats are no longer in control of the congress and senate, or we'd all be doomed !

Now if the Republicans could just do something about the rediculous EPA regulations coming from the junk science & global warming nonsense, maybe we Americans will eventually have electric bills that are affordable instead of these skyrocketed rates courtesy of the Dhali Bama. Not to mention all the jobs lost to Obama and his ilks EPA regulations.

choochoogranny

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Oct 21, 2013
chattanooga, tn, usa
Apparently, these so-called founts of wisdom do not acknowledge for this particular instance that each of us influence those around us at home, work and play. We all must or else why the explosion in popularity in over just a few years? Perhaps mentioning your family and friends who are elated that you are a vaper might be of help. After all, you are not only a voter, but they are too! Also, mention the numbers of people in your local vape groups or those wonderful new friends you've met at vaping conventions. The more the merrier! They just might start counting votes. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread