Five Democrat Senators urge FDA to ban flavored cigars

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bill Godshall

Executive Director<br/> Smokefree Pennsylvania
ECF Veteran
Apr 2, 2009
Two days ago, Democrat Senators Durbin, Brown, Merkley, Lautenberg and Blumenthal wrote another letter to FDA Commissioner Margaret Hamburg urging her the FDA to propose/approve a new regulation to ban flavored cigars.
Durbin and Senators Request Ban on Flavored Cigars - Press Releases - Press Office - U.S. Senator .... Durbin

Please note that in order for FDA to ban flavored cigars, the FDA would have to first propose/approve a "deeming" regulation to apply Chapter IX of the FDCA to cigars. And if FDA proposes the "deeming" regulation, the agency has already stated its intent to do so for all currently unregulated tobacco products, including e-cigarettes.

Last edited:

Bill Godshall

ECF Veteran
Apr 2, 2009
I suspect what prompted those five tobacco prohibitionist Senators to write that letter was a grossly misleading article in the Washington Post earlier this week at
Teens swapping cigarettes for flavored mini cigars - The Washington Post

That Washington Post article was based upon an article several weeks ago in the Baltimore Sun at
Flavored cigars: Flavored cigars becoming popular among teenagers - baltimoresun.com

And guess who started the State of Maryland's anti cigar campaign http://www.dhmh.maryland.gov/thecigartrap/ , which uses slogans including "no matter how they sugar coat it . . cigars kill" and "cigars in any flavor are as addictive and toxic as cigarettes"?

None other than former FDA Deputy Commissioner Josh Sharfstein (who led the FDA's campaign to ban e-cigarettes in 2009 and 2010), and who is now the Secretary of Health and Mental Hygiene for the State of Maryland.

Before the Obama administration appointed Sharfstein to be Deputy Commissioner of FDA in January, 2009, Sharfstein served as Baltimore City Health Commissioner, where he similarly campaigned against cigars by proposing a city regulation to ban the sale of single cigars (i.e. to require five cigars per package) and to impose a huge tax on cigars. Neither of those proposals were approved (but are cited on the MD's anti cigar webpage), so it appears Sharfstein is trying to do it again at the state level.

Also, please note that:
- all of the youth cigar use data cited in the propaganda and articles are "past month use", which cigar opponents have classified as "current cigar use",
- most cigar smokers don't inhale the smoke,
- most cigar smokers don't smoke daily,
- only a very small percentage of cigar smokers are addicted to nicotine/cigars,
- only a very small percentage of cigar smokers smoke multiple cigars daily and inhale the smoke,
- cigars have been flavored with sweeteners for more than 300 years,
- cigars are increasingly being used to smoke pot by urban blacks and some teens (partly because most paraphernailia head shops were closed).

In sum, cigars pose very few health risks unless they are inhaled and unless multiple cigars are smoked daily, and the vast majority of cigar smokers face very few disease risks.

Last edited:

Ande

ECF Veteran
Mar 27, 2011
Korea
Good summary Bill-

Let me add: All evidence seems to indicate that if my child is going to smoke, which I'd rather she didn't, cigars are a better choice than cigarettes. Which are NOT facing a ban.

Am I missing anything?

What the antis seem not to get is that while everybody knows that tobacco use has risks, banning/restricting the safest products first is major league stupidity. It makes problems worse, not better.

In the interest of disclosure- I sometimes smoked swisher sweets (embarassing, I know) as a teen, and did, in fact, progress to full blown daily cigarette smoking addiction. Was this, perhaps, aided by the fact that I was under the impression that all tobacco products carried the same risks? If I'd known that an occasional cigar was substantially safer than cigarette smoking, I might have stopped there. (Don't get me started on smokeless tobacco. Same story, to the nth power.)

Best,
Ande

cgchad

Nov 19, 2011
E. Peo, IL
gooooooood lord. it's the same 5 douche bags as it always is, why the hell are these idiots senators? we really need to rally against these .......

I am going to do my best to not name names..

I suspect in the case of at least one of these senators, the reason he is a senator is because of the now infamous "vote early and vote often" situation that occurred in the north east corner of my current home state.. I will say this state is not known for honest politicians.

wv2win

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Feb 10, 2009
GA by way of WV
When you look at the history of political positions "for and against" the use of personal vaporizers, Republicans primarily support vaping and believe people should be left alone to make up their own minds on what helps them be more healthly and Democrats primarily are against the use of personal vaporizers and believe vaping should be banned. I've never been one (and I'm still not) to advocate voting by party line vs voting for the individual but when it comes to vaping, the more Democrats that are in power, the more likely are right to vape will be taken away.

Bill Godshall

ECF Veteran
Apr 2, 2009
wv2win wrote:

When you look at the history of political positions "for and against" the use of personal vaporizers, Republicans primarily support vaping and believe people should be left alone to make up their own minds on what helps them be more healthly and Democrats primarily are against the use of personal vaporizers and believe vaping should be banned. I've never been one (and I'm still not) to advocate voting by party line vs voting for the individual but when it comes to vaping, the more Democrats that are in power, the more likely are right to vape will be taken away.

During the 25 years I've been campaigning for various types of legislation (that reduces cigarette smoking), tobacco harm reduction is the first tobacco policy issue that is clearly a partisan issue, (with left/liberal Democrats who are tobacco prohibitonists staunchly opposing tobacco harm reduction products and policies, while many Republicans have supported harm reduction products and policies).

Although not all Democrats oppose tobacco harm reduction, very few Democrats have publicly endorsed tobacco harm reduction products or policies for fear of upsetting their left/liberal Democrat colleagues who have proposed banning e-cigarettes, dissolvables, flavorings, etc.

csnoski wrote:

OK Bill,
I hate to sound dense here, but do I need to write to my esteemed senators Coats and Lugar re:flavored cigars? I mean, what can/should we do?

Letters/calls should be sent/made to members of Congress (both Senators and Representatives) urging them to
"Oppose the FDA's attempt to ban e-cigarettes"

Letters/calls should explain that after the federal courts stopped Obama appointed FDA officials from trying to ban the sale of e-cigarettes (by claiming they were unregulated drug devices), that the FDA has subsequently stated its intent to propose a "deeming" regulation that would apply Chapter IX of the Tobacco Control Act to e-cigarettes (and other currently unregulated tobacco products including cigars), which would ban virtually all or all e-cigarette products since Section 910 bans all products not on the market before Feb 15, 2007.

The second paragraph of letters (or second part of calls) to Congress members should briefly (in several sentences) explain your personal experience with e-cigarettes (especially if they helped you quit smoking or sharply reduce your cigarette consumption).

The rest of the letters/calls should cite some of the false and misleading claims made by FDA about e-cigarettes in 2009 and 2010 (when the agency was trying to scare federal judges and the public to believe that e-cigarettes contained toxic poison and caused cancer, and to believe that all e-cig companies target marketed to children and were making unproven therapeutic claims.

Also point out that since April 25 when the FDA stated it would comply with Judge Leon's ruling, the agency has continued to post on its website the same false and misleading claims about e-cigarettes and e-cigarette companies, and that just last week the FDA's Lawrence Deyton made more false and misleading claims about e-cigarettes (in response to the petition to the White House), and once again claimed the agency planned to regulate (er ban) the products.

It would be helpful (especially in letters/calls to Republicans) to point out that Sen. Lautenberg had previously urged the FDA to ban e-cigarettes (in 2009), and that Lautenberg and other Democrat Senators have sent multiple letters to FDA Commissioner Margaret Hamburg urging her to propose a "deeming" regulation for currently unregulated tobacco products, including e-cigarettes, cigars and dissolvable tobacco products.

And the last sentence of the letter (please keep letters to one page) should once again urging your member of Congress to "please oppose the FDA's attempt to ban e-cigarettes."

Last edited:

wv2win

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Feb 10, 2009
GA by way of WV
...........It would be helpful (especially in letters/calls to Republicans) to point out that Sen. Lautenberg had previously urged the FDA to ban e-cigarettes (in 2009), and that Lautenberg and other Democrat Senators have sent multiple letters to FDA Commissioner Margaret Hamburg urging her to propose a "deeming" regulation for currently unregulated tobacco products, including e-cigarettes, cigars and dissolvable tobacco products............

Bill, thank you for guiding us all in how to communicate with our representatives in our effort to provide a balanced review of vaping by our national representatives.

I highlighted the one section of your guidence because from what I have read, the largest campaign contributor to Senator Lautenberg's re-eletion is the pharmaceutical industry. It magnifies what we are up against.

Also telling is that the judge who made the FDA back-off, was appointed by a Republican President.

It really bothers me that there appears to be so few ECF members, especially veteran ones, who are joining and supporting CASAA. If more of us don't wake up soon, we may be back to buying analogs.

rothenbj

Vaping Master
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 23, 2009
Green Lane, Pa
In the interest of disclosure- I sometimes smoked swisher sweets (embarassing, I know) as a teen, and did, in fact, progress to full blown daily cigarette smoking addiction. Was this, perhaps, aided by the fact that I was under the impression that all tobacco products carried the same risks? If I'd known that an occasional cigar was substantially safer than cigarette smoking, I might have stopped there. (Don't get me started on smokeless tobacco. Same story, to the nth power.)

I would have preferred starting with E cigarettes when I started smoking but I don't think they had invented batteries yet. Well there were batteries but a PV would have been pretty inconvenient and expensive driven by three non-rechargeable C batteries.

Aunt Cranky

ECF Veteran
Feb 15, 2010
Chicagoland
I suspect that it's all about who is in who's pocket.
Big Tobacco stands to lose revenue over a wide adoption of ecigs over analogs.
I'm not sure why one set of politicians is more conerned than others, aside from maybe some of the antis having something to gain from Big Pharma coming up with some new drug like the dreaded C***tix.
I really do think it's about money, and tax revenue.
Look to the states with the highest tax revenue from cigarettes - those are the ones who stand to lose money.

Gets my hackles up, for sure. I'll be vaping "in the closet" if I have to, but I'm sticking with my PV until the bitter end.

wv2win

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Feb 10, 2009
GA by way of WV
I suspect that it's all about who is in who's pocket.
Big Tobacco stands to lose revenue over a wide adoption of ecigs over analogs.
I'm not sure why one set of politicians is more conerned than others, aside from maybe some of the antis having something to gain from Big Pharma coming up with some new drug like the dreaded C***tix.
I really do think it's about money, and tax revenue.
Look to the states with the highest tax revenue from cigarettes - those are the ones who stand to lose money.

Gets my hackles up, for sure. I'll be vaping "in the closet" if I have to, but I'm sticking with my PV until the bitter end.

Big tobacco has no "dog in this fight". From a corporate standpoint it is all Big Pharm trying to protect their NRT products that don't work. Big tobacco knows their product is diminishing regularly in this country one way or the other. Also, where do you think ex-FDA employees go to work: Big Pharm. Where do you think groups like ASH, ALA, AHA, ALA get the majority of their funding: Big Pharm.

Bill Godshall

ECF Veteran
Apr 2, 2009
wv2win wrote:

Big tobacco has no "dog in this fight".

Actually, all tobacco companies (including all e-cigarette companies) have dogs in this fight (but the fight is against the FDA, not against cigars or e-cigarettes), as every tobacco company has opposed regulatory actions of FDA during its 29 months in existance, and all tobacco company heads wisely distrust and disdain Obama appointed FDA officials.

Reynolds has been researching, developing and marketing tobacco harm reduction products for the past five years (Reynolds with Camel Snus and new Camel Orbs, Strips and Sticks and PM with Taboka, Marlboro and Skoal Snus and new Marlboro and Skoal Sticks). And since PM is the largest smokeless tobacco company in the US (with Skoal and Copenhagen) and Reynolds is the second largest smokeless company (discount Grizzly has higher market share than Skoal and Copenhagen), both companies want FDA to acknowledge/recognize the scientific evidence that smokefree products are less hazardous than cigarettes, and to allow the companies to truthfully inform smokers of that fact.

Lorillard (maker of Newport, the largest menthol brand and second largest overall brand) is the only large cigarette company that doesn't market smokefree tobacco/nicotine products, but Lorillard is solely (and wisely) focussed on preventing the FDA from banning menthol cigarettes.

Virtually all other (and probably all other) tobacco companies (including makers of smokeless tobacco, dissolvables, little cigars, large cigars, RYO/pipe tobacco, shisha/hookah and of course e-cigarette companies) oppose the FDA expanding the scope of Chapter IX of the Tobacco Control Act to apply to currently unregulated tobacco products. NATO (National Association of Tobacco Outlets) has also urged the FDA to not apply Chapter IX to currently unregulated tobacco products.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread