Let's start Looking for Alternatives to SS Mesh

Status
Not open for further replies.

gdeal

Moved On
ECF Veteran
Aug 4, 2012
( -_-) Ω~
The air-stone wicks are not 100% ceramic. I've also heard that they are coated with an antimicrobial/antibiotic substance, which makes sense- you don't want algae growing on your air stones and inhibiting the porosity...

So anyway, the FC-2000 seems like a much better fit for vaping, at least compared to air stones.

....:glare: Data? Source? This is conjecture to me. What do we know about the materials and processes used to produce FC-2000 or air-stone for that matter? Just asking to keep it real Ninja. :)

vapdivrr

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 8, 2012
sarasota,fl
I snagged some just to check them out. I have a larger qty. and some in a smaller diameter as well coming (as I'm sure some of you probably do also), but don't know if they are the same thing.

the ones that i am trying right now only come in 2 sizes, 3/32 & 1/8, they are for vaping and not just a ceramic that has other purposes. the ceramic wicks other than the fc2000 wicks have had not so good results as far as wicking, (from what i have heard) as far as these, well they just havent been out there as much, so there is not alot of results yet. but from what its worth, i can tell you that my results are amazing. just a few minutes ago i filled 2 of my gennys with the same juice, an ac-9 & aga-t. the aga-t has the fc-wick, and the ac-9 has a ss mesh wick. vaping them side by side, the fc-wick definatly has the better flavor. the vapor production is pretty much equal and wicking capabilities the same, which blows me away because this is the tiny 3/32 wick(which is the only one that fits in the aga), and would think that the bigger 1/8 wick would even have better results in the gennys that can accomadate the 1/8 size.

StaircaseWit

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 18, 2013
The Pit of Despair
Are the fc2000 wicks as fragile as the airstone wicks people were using? I read a couple examples of breaking them just trying to wrap a coil. I can't have anything that costs that much just snapping with the tiniest shock (I'm not that easy on my vaping equipment), but if they're more durable it seems like it might be a viable option.

Last edited:

j4mmin42

Unregistered Supplier
ECF Veteran
Jul 1, 2009
Arcata, Cali
....:glare: Data? Source? This is conjecture to me. What do we know about the materials and processes used to produce FC-2000 or air-stone for that matter? Just asking to keep it real Ninja. :)

You seem to have spent some time trying out the air stones, so why not tell us...what do you know about their composition? There are many different formulas for airstone materials. How do you know what the Top Fin ones are made of? There's a lack of info on the internet about them.

It's not my job to do all of the research, find all the information, etc. before I post my thoughts on something. It's up to the community to bring knowledge to the table, not just me. This isn't a college paper, this is a forum.

Last edited:

vapdivrr

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 8, 2012
sarasota,fl
Are the fc2000 wicks as fragile as the airstone wicks people were using? I read a couple examples of breaking them just trying to wrap a coil. I can't have anything that costs that much just snapping with the tiniest shock (I'm not that easy on my vaping equipment), but if they're more durable it seems like it might be a viable option.
i would say yes, the fc2000 wick that i am currently vaping looks fragile, compares to the others, i dont know for this is my first try at ceramics. i did however wrapped it twice, one with the 32g, then ultimately with the 30g, both times everything was fine, but if your not careful i suppose they can break pretty easily. but now that its in, it is there to stay for a long time. the performance i am getting out of them is far out waying the possibilities of them breaking. i would gladly have one out of every 5 break with the results that i am getting.

chadelliott

Jan 25, 2013
Vancouver WA
Just a thought. What about something like a rolled mesh coated with something like Alodine EC2?

"Alodine® EC2 is a 2-15 micron ceramic coating which is a chromium free product
specifically formulated for coating Aluminum, titanium and their alloys. This
coating is applied by an immersion process. Alodine® EC2 may be used unpainted
in many applications, however, it also provides an excellent base for bonding
of adhesives, porcelain and organic finishes."

Helkel claims it's good for up to 1100 Fahrenheit.

Not sure if it can be used on stainless though. And probably wouldn't be cost effective unless done in large quantities.
{edit after reading FAQ at Helkel's site}
Can only be applied to these materials:
Aluminum and aluminum alloys; Titanium and titanium alloys; Aluminized, aluminum plated and IVD aluminium; and Aluminized ferrous substrates.

Again, just a thought. ;p

Last edited:

gdeal

Moved On
ECF Veteran
Aug 4, 2012
( -_-) Ω~
You seem to have spent some time trying out the air stones, so why not tell us...what do you know about their composition? There are many different formulas for airstone materials. How do you know what the Top Fin ones are made of? There's a lack of info on the internet about them.

It's not my job to do all of the research, find all the information, etc. before I post my thoughts on something. It's up to the community to bring knowledge to the table, not just me. This isn't a college paper, this is a forum.

:) lol. on the college paper....Yea, I know were are just having a conversation here and I am glad to contribute any findings that I have, but you said "the FC-2000 seems like a much better fit for vaping, at least compared to air stones.". As part of this conversation I am just saying that I have not seen any information to justify that. Who ever is making the FC-2000 has not provided their composition or manufacturing method. (all I have seen is that the vendors state it is "ceramic" and "fired at over 2000 degrees") We dont have any info either for Top-Fin.

What I have seen for Top-Fin is an older (?) packaging label that stated it is Fused Alumina.

http://www.e-cigarette-forum.com/fo...hing-porous-ceramic-wicks-40.html#post8555843

The best I can say with the two brands of air stones that I have used (Top Fin and Micro-Pore) is that I have torched both to red-hot, they did not degrade, did not burn and did not give off any unusual smell or smoke and appear consistent with being ceramic. Does that make them a better alternative to SS mesh? IDK Micro-pore performed slightly better than Top-Fin, but I am not giving a recommendation to try it b/c its 4x more expensive and just like FC-2000, I dont know what I dont know. I have FC-2000 coming in through a co-op and will share my thoughts on its performance too it it makes sense.

In anycase, I appreciated that you started a focused thread here because hopefully everyone can benefit.

MikeE3

Vaping Master
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 23, 2011
Skippack, PA
the ones that i am trying right now only come in 2 sizes, 3/32 & 1/8, they are for vaping and not just a ceramic that has other purposes. the ceramic wicks other than the fc2000 wicks have had not so good results as far as wicking, (from what i have heard) as far as these, well they just havent been out there as much, so there is not alot of results yet. but from what its worth, i can tell you that my results are amazing. just a few minutes ago i filled 2 of my gennys with the same juice, an ac-9 & aga-t. the aga-t has the fc-wick, and the ac-9 has a ss mesh wick. vaping them side by side, the fc-wick definatly has the better flavor. the vapor production is pretty much equal and wicking capabilities the same, which blows me away because this is the tiny 3/32 wick(which is the only one that fits in the aga), and would think that the bigger 1/8 wick would even have better results in the gennys that can accomadate the 1/8 size.

I would say that's not quite accurate. Lot's of folks are using the DIY wicks w/ PetSmart stones with satisfaction.

I have some fc2000 and DIY PetSmart wicks. Both are fragile and need to be handled with care.

Last edited:

Atlantisboy

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 25, 2012
USA
Whats the best way to wrap a coil on the ceramic wick? Thanks.

the ones that i am trying right now only come in 2 sizes, 3/32 & 1/8, they are for vaping and not just a ceramic that has other purposes. the ceramic wicks other than the fc2000 wicks have had not so good results as far as wicking, (from what i have heard) as far as these, well they just havent been out there as much, so there is not alot of results yet. but from what its worth, i can tell you that my results are amazing. just a few minutes ago i filled 2 of my gennys with the same juice, an ac-9 & aga-t. the aga-t has the fc-wick, and the ac-9 has a ss mesh wick. vaping them side by side, the fc-wick definatly has the better flavor. the vapor production is pretty much equal and wicking capabilities the same, which blows me away because this is the tiny 3/32 wick(which is the

only one that fits in the aga), and would think that the bigger 1/8 wick would even have better results in the gennys that can accomadate the 1/8 size.

Kemosabe

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Sep 21, 2011
Roe Dylin
LOLOL.... NO....That is Kip Winger. Sweet Kip. Its poetic irony. He is all strung up in some sort of shower, one of the worst rockers of the early 90's-late 80's....with hunk of the month below the pic. It's one of the funniest pics I think Ive ever seen. Next to this.

http://cdn.motinetwork.net/demotiva...-unibrow-demotivational-poster-1275747375.jpg

By the way. I'm right with you guys. Just started a hard workout routine with my wife (personal trainer) and health is on the top of my list now. I want to get hard into kiteboarding and the healther I am the better. I dont want to vape Cr (VI) into my lungs. So I'm on this like white on rice. At least trying to be.

Gotta go.....WALKING DEAD!

thanks for making and contributing to this thread everyone. its great that we are being conscious of all possibilities.
sorry that i cant add anything of worth to this thread. but this post just made me laugh and reminded me of another funny pic :laugh:

cool-guy.jpg

Kemosabe

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Sep 21, 2011
Roe Dylin

Rule62

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 28, 2011
Melbourne, Florida
this whole CRVI thing got me thinking about a thread i made a couple of months ago. i was concerned about the black flecks that build up in the top cap along with teh condensed vapor/juice. i wonder if these fleks and dirty condensed vapor liquid are just juice crud or if CRVI is at play.

http://www.e-cigarette-forum.com/fo...dirty-liquid-black-flecks-inside-top-cap.html

With my set ups, I assume that the black flecks are merely juice residue; because they only appear with certain juices. There are some juices I vape that don't collect any crud on the coil or in the top cap at all; while others gob up the coil in one tank full. If the black stuff were coming from the coil or wick itself, I'd think it would happen all the time.

j4mmin42

Unregistered Supplier
ECF Veteran
Jul 1, 2009
Arcata, Cali
The funny part in all of this is that even if this is happening, I believe that vaping SS mesh is still be a healthier alternative to cigarettes.

...You, and a whole lot of other dedicated genesis vapers, too ;)

It's going to take more than one positive test result (that no one except the OP of that other thread has actually seen) to sway public opinion. Most vapers are extreme optimists when it comes to things like this, and part of it has to do with the fact that we're ex smokers, and we know how horrible smoking is. That affects how we see the alternatives, even if the alternatives *might* have some known risks in and of themselves.

Many people will feel that myself and others are "jumping the gun" by taking action before either 1) results come back and prove that SS mesh is unsuitable, or 2) people start realizing health effects from it that were previously unknown. There are two basic types of healthcare: Acute and Preventative. In the USA, 99% of healthcare is acute, only treating illness or injury after it occurs. The changes that myself and others are making by getting rid of SS mesh before the unknown questions are answered is akin to preventative healthcare. ;)

So more or less, I don't expect my fellow americans to jump on the bandwagon so quickly; It's just not a part of our culture to deprive ourselves of something that might be bad if we don't have enough evidence that PROVES it.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread