Let's Talk Hardware

Status
Not open for further replies.

LAwaters

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Feb 25, 2014
Only caveat I can think of is to check how to read resistance without firing the MVP2. As long as you do that, you're only putting a current regulated voltage on the circuit, and won't hurt anything. My MVP is model 1.1, just VV and no Ω check, but my VV3 and SVD both use this procedure: press and hold both the + and - buttons for a couple seconds to read the topper resistance. Being as all are innokin, I'd suspect the MVP2 is the same, but...

Excellent point - yes, the MVP 2.0 has the same resistance check method. I'll do that before doing the quick fires to crimp the micro coil.

DavidOck

ECF Guru
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Jan 3, 2013
Halfway to Paradise, WA
I like to check at several steps along the way, too. Not a big deal with the KF, but on rebuilt Kanger's, for example, I'll check after I install the bottom contact pin (before putting it into a base), and then again after mounting to the base and putting it on any mod that has Ω check. There's been a couple times I've wound up twisting the coil inside, and the perfect 1.5 suddenly became a 0.1!

Pappy

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 15, 2012
Dallas, Tx
LA, your MVP is fine. But if you want to check it's accuracy (or consistency), measure it with both the MVP and the multimeter. I found my multimeter and Provari are always within 0.1 ohms. That's nothing but a rounding variance. I trust the accuracy of my Provari ohm meter.

My ohm checker consistently reads .2 ohms higher than my Provari. E.g., if the Povari reads 1.8, the checker will read 2.0. I trust the Provari more than a $17 ohm meter.

I tried several ohm meters in the store, and this one was the most accurate. Sheesh.

Bronze

ECF Guru
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 19, 2012
My ohm checker consistently reads .2 ohms higher than my Provari. E.g., if the Povari reads 1.8, the checker will read 2.0. I trust the Provari more than a $17 ohm meter.

I tried several ohm meters in the store, and this one was the most accurate. Sheesh.

Your ohm checker probably has 0.2 ohms of resistance residing in the circuitry. My multimeter has 0.3 ohms but I am able to measure it by holding the leads together to see what the reading is. I just subtract it when i measure devices. It's consistently 0.3 ohms. I never owned an ohm checker. I assume it is a box you screw your connector to and it just reads the ohms? Not sure how you could measure the resident resistance on that. Seems it is 0.2 ohms. :)

retic1959

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jul 28, 2013
New Orleans , Louisiana
My 2nd MVP 2.0 and my first HCigar Kayfun 3.1 picked up last night. I watched RiP Tripper's micro coil building vid and he uses his device to measure the ohms. Is that okay to do? Or is it better to use an ohm meter or multi-meter?

View attachment 333298

Dam LA , I'm proud of you , no worries checking resistance with your MVP , you won't blow your device , Innokin devices are highly accurate on the resistance check , BK's checked them with his gear , usually within .1 accuracy , what resistance are you shooting for ?

LAwaters

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Feb 25, 2014
Dam LA , I'm proud of you , no worries checking resistance with your MVP , you won't blow your device , Innokin devices are highly accurate on the resistance check , BK's checked them with his gear , usually within .1 accuracy , what resistance are you shooting for ?

Retic, I could not wait for you to see that I went for it! I'm already wanting about 5 more of these. And a lot more HHV, because this baby burns through juice. I actually got a nic buzz at the B&M after just 3 hits. Is that my imagination, or does the Kayfun really deliver nic that well? I just moved to 18 mg from being at 24 mg for over three months. I noticed more nic from my new Aero and Nautilus, but the Kayfun was even more intense. I did not chain vape last night even though I wanted to.

And the FLAVOR! I am thrilled beyond words with this tank.

The young woman at the store did the first coil build for me to show me how. I think her coil was around 1.4. Then I watched the videos and saw The micro coil and I had to try doing it. This was necessary sooner than I planned because of course I drained the tank and burned the organic cotton wick!

Instead of just re-wicking, I did a micro coil build. First one was great, until I tried to adjust its position and I shorted it. But my next attempt came out well! and is reading at 1.5.

I used 28 ga Kanthal on a 5/64 drill bit with 10 wraps. Got that lovely glow from the inside out, and it's vaping really well. I'm almost out of my new bottle of Legend, so Huntsman it is.

Last edited:

Bronze

ECF Guru
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 19, 2012
Retic, I could wait for you to see that I went for it! I'm already wanting about 5 more of these. And a lot more HHV, because this baby burns through juice. I actually got a nic buzz at the B&M after just 3 hits. Is that my imagination, or does the Kayfun really deliver nic that well? I just moved to 18 mg from being at 24 mg for over three months. I noticed more nic from my new Aero and Nautilus, but the Kayfun was even more intense. I did not chain vape last night even though I wanted to.

The young woman at the store did the first coil build for me to show me how. I think her coil was around 1.4. Then I watched the videos and saw The micro coil and I had to try doing it. This was necessary sooner than I planned because of course I drained the tank and burned the organic cotton wick!

Instead of just re-wicking, I did a micro coil build. First one was great, until I tried to adjust its position and I shorted it. But my next attempt came out well! and is reading at 1.5.

I used 28 ga Kanthal on a 5/64 drill bit with 10 wraps. Got that lovely glow from the inside out, and it's vaping really well. I'm almost out of my new bottle of Legend, so Huntsman it is.

Feels good to get it right, eh? :)

retic1959

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jul 28, 2013
New Orleans , Louisiana
Retic, I could wait for you to see that I went for it! I'm already wanting about 5 more of these. And a lot more HHV, because this baby burns through juice. I actually got a nic buzz at the B&M after just 3 hits. Is that my imagination, or does the Kayfun really deliver nic that well? I just moved to 18 mg from being at 24 mg for over three months. I noticed more nic from my new Aero and Nautilus, but the Kayfun was even more intense. I did not chain vape last night even though I wanted to.

Yup the 3.1 is all about flavor , it's my weapon of choice , haven't told you but I'm a professional chef taste is everything to me , you're burning more juice so you're getting more flavor and nicotine at the same time , I wouldn't change nicotine strength just yet , you'll adjust to the kayfun in a few days , BTW Huntsman is awesome in the 3.1 . I'm glad you took the Army's advice , it's a big step up from clearo's . :)

LAwaters

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Feb 25, 2014
Yup the 3.1 is all about flavor , it's my weapon of choice , haven't told you but I'm a professional chef taste is everything to me , you're burning more juice so you're getting more flavor and nicotine at the same time , I wouldn't change nicotine strength just yet , you'll adjust to the kayfun in a few days , BTW Huntsman is awesome in the 3.1 . I'm glad you took the Army's advice , it's a big step up from clearo's . :)

How cool that you are a chef! I love to watch cooking shows when they are about the food - not the drama. I can see why you are a Kayfun fan then. And I am almost regretting those tanks I just bought. Meh - but sometimes a clears will be good to have. Maybe. At least until I get more Kayfuns!

Bronze

ECF Guru
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 19, 2012
So good! You can't beat that sense of accomplishment. I'm glad I didn't resist longer, cause it is fun and rewarding. And Dusty would yell at me for not listening....

Many people are hesitant to jump into rebuilds. They have visions of their hair catching fire running through the house like a raped ape. But with all the protection afforded by today's gear it can be done by just about anyone. Truthfully, women are better at coil building than men because they have those spindly, nimble little fingers...not to mention patience and attention to detail. Ha! Now you will be building coils whether you need to or not. Enjoy! :)

LAwaters

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Feb 25, 2014
LA , I don't know what you paid for you're HCIGAR but you might wanna bookmark this , they're out of stock at the moment but the price includes shipping and they ship very quickly , BK , Pappy and I got our HCIGAR 3.1's from them .

HCIGAR Kayfun 3.1 | Luxor Vapes

I saw them mentioned as a good source. Thanks for the link. Doesn't look like HCigar has a KFL+ so which clone do you folks like?

I paid the B&M premium, though they gave me a 10% discount on the 3.1, maybe because I spent so much there since Friday. I paid $50. The next purchase of them will be from Luxor if they get them in within a month or so.

retic1959

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jul 28, 2013
New Orleans , Louisiana
How cool that you are a chef! I love to watch cooking shows when they are about the food - not the drama. I can see why you are a Kayfun fan then. And I am almost regretting those tanks I just bought. Meh - but sometimes a clears will be good to have. Maybe. At least until I get more Kayfuns!

Yup there's a bunch of drama queens on tv , english chefs being the worst , if anybody talked that way to me I'd deep fry'em . I'm with you on getting more kayfun's , nothing comes close to them IMO ! :)

retic1959

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jul 28, 2013
New Orleans , Louisiana
I saw them mentioned as a good source. Thanks for the link. Doesn't look like HCigar has a KFL+ so which clone do you folks like?

I paid the B&M premium, though they gave me a 10% discount on the 3.1, maybe because I spent so much there since Friday. I paid $50. The next purchase of them will be from Luxor if they get them in within a month or so.

I like the 3.1 , if I wanted a KFL+ I'd go with an EHPRO , BK has a Tobeco R91% clone equivalent to a KFL+ clone and the fit and finish was bad , it works but not in the same ballpark as HCIGAR .

Bronze

ECF Guru
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 19, 2012

I'd shop around for all your options LA. I don't own a clone so I cannot speak to them. I have a genuine Svoemesto KFL...the original, not the plus (which is a minus as far as I'm concerned). The genuine Svoemesto is going to cost $100 but it is the finest juice feeding device ever made. The machining is perfect and the quality unsurpassed period. Case closed. End of story. For people who have larger e-cig budgets I would always recommend the original Svoemesto. But reality says e-cig budgets are not endless. Enter the clones. ther are some good ones and some not so good ones. I base this on what I have read about them and it is quite extensive. Retic found the HCigar 3.1 which by his (and other accounts) is a very fine performer. The 3.1 is a little larger than the Lite and has some more doo dads on it that may or may not appeal to you. Do your homework and get what fits your fancy. There are some people who have a half dozen different versions and they just have fun with it. Me personally, I own just one. I dont need more than one as I vape Dragon's Fire at least 50% of the time and rotate a half dozen (or more) of other juices the rest of the time. i use simple Phoenix drippers for that. So a single genuine Svoemesto KFL was a perfect fit for me. Figure out what the best fit is for you.

LAwaters

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Feb 25, 2014
Many people are hesitant to jump into rebuilds. They have visions of their hair catching fire running through the house like a raped ape. But with all the protection afforded by today's gear it can be done by just about anyone. Truthfully, women are better at coil building than men because they have those spindly, nimble little fingers...not to mention patience and attention to detail. Ha! Now you will be building coils whether you need to or not. Enjoy! :)

That was exactly my fear! Also, I thought it was too fussy. Now I can see it being a therapeutic hobby. I play guitar and work in Photoshop, so yes, I fit in the attention to detail and fine motor skills category.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread