Not open for further replies.

rothenbj

Vaping Master
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 23, 2009
Green Lane, Pa
I've noticed a few loose wires as of late but I figure I'm just using selective memory.

If anyone can recommend a good place to get an upgrade just PM me...........please

I found a great place to get that upgrade, picked mine up the other day, fantastic improvement. It's over at,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, darn, I forgot.

parkay

Jan 15, 2012
lex, ky, usa
So, here's a shout-out to Lexington. The suspense is killing me!

• How was your vape-meet?
  • Did Ellen Hahn show up to be appreciated by her fans?
  • Any interesting stories to share?

i had a wonderful time. i won a sample pack from the mom and pop vapor shop.

there was no drama during my visit. i had to leave early though.

Fazed

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 22, 2011
Lexington, Kentucky
There was no opposition that I saw. I haven't run the numbers yet, but we had a great turnout including several people who said they heard about it from TV and wanted to see if Vaping could help them quit smoking. We made sure they all left with a kit and also made sure they knew how to use it. We even converted our DJ! The only disappointing thing to me was our CASAA donation didn't get much. But I'll be sending you a check for $75 ASAP.

Overall, for our 1st stab at running a large meet, I'm pleased with the results. I think everyone who came from vendors to attendees had a good time.

Petrodus

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Oct 12, 2010
Midwest
If everyone had fun ... then it was a success.
Having fun is what it's all about. The pubic is seeing
more and more vapers smiling and having fun ...
and not hearing anything about anyone ever ever being harmed.

Oh, yeah ... no smell or maybe a hint of mint in the air ...
Doesn't scare many into thinking about 2nd hand vape.
Especially, when caught in bumper to bumper traffic with
the window down ... behind an 18-wheeler !!

I'm not surprised there were no one there causing problems ...
Cowards prefer to spout-off when there's little chance of anyone
being around to call them lairs ... to their smug little faces.

JW50

ECF Veteran
Jan 31, 2011
USA Kentucky
Tuned into this thread a bit late but as a native Kentuckian and graduate of the University of Kentucky, very pleased to see the successful event in Lexington. Although it has been several years since being at UK I was disappointed in the position taken by one of its professors - and even more so because of her health field background. But I personally don't believe her position represents that of her employer. And, even though this has been mentioned in a prior post, the below indicates that her position is not representative of all in Kentucky.

Wednesday, September 21, 2011
Switch and Quit Owensboro (Kentucky)

A University of Louisville public health initiative is reaching out to thousands of adult smokers in Owensboro, encouraging them to quit with assistance from the unlikeliest of sources — tobacco. The “Switch and Quit Owensboro” campaign is based on scientific evidence that switching from cigarettes to smoke-free tobacco products provides almost all of the health benefits of complete tobacco abstinence.

Switch and Quit Owensboro is the first community-based quit smoking program based on principles of tobacco harm reduction. Switching to a safer form of tobacco that satisfies smokers’ addictive desire for nicotine helps smokers quit cigarettes, and gain longer and healthier lives.

The campaign includes print, radio, billboard, social media and cinema public service messages. It is aimed primarily at adult inveterate smokers -- those who are unable or unwilling to quit using conventional approaches that emphasize total tobacco abstinence.

At the start of the campaign, an astounding 15,000 cartons of cigarettes were sold per week in Owensboro/Daviess County. Cigarette sales should decline when smokers learn about safer, satisfying smoke-free substitutes. Visit the campaign website here.

Switch and Quit Owensboro is a program of the University of Louisville James Graham Brown Cancer Center, which is committed to the prevention and treatment of cancer. The campaign aims to prevent the estimated 220 smoking-related deaths that occur in Owensboro and Daviess County, Kentucky every year.
Posted by Brad Rodu at 10:26 AM

TennDave

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 19, 2010
Knoxville, TN
Elaine,
The Vape Meet was awesome!! Really great people and great vendors too!!
And as was posted above, E. H. didn't show up- wasn't even a peep from any ANTZ.
I had to get a "smoking room," but when I checked in the lady at the desk asked me why, if I was vaping and not smoking- anyway, she told me that putting me in a smoking room was the craziest thing she had heard and she put me in a non-smoking room instead (said, "let's just keep this between you and me."). :) Stayed up until 3:30AM talking to fellow vapers....just getting home after all of it. Wow, I recommend anyone who's a vaper to go to one of these- certainly not disappointing!!

Vocalek

CASAA Activist
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
I think it's wonderful that even though she had no intention of saving any lives, Ms. Hahn was instrumental in getting some smokers curious enough to come to your meet and learn about better options than "keep using the stuff that never worked for you in the past."

I understand that some folks might have seen the story about the meet on TV and did not see the earlier interview with Ms. H. However, had she not made such a big stink, you might not have gotten your story out on TV.

I hope you got some contact information on the folks you gave kits to so that if they need any help adjusting, they can get it. Maybe 6 months down the line if they have stayed smoke free, you can tell them the background and suggest they write a note to Ms. Hahn, thanking her for bringing this wonderful alternative to their attention.

Last edited:

Fazed

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 22, 2011
Lexington, Kentucky
For the Lexington Vape Meet, some stats: Abby just told me we had 19 smokers, 25 non-vapers, Several people refused to sign in (sighting privacy concerns), but we had 120 sign the roster. Ages ranged from 18-68. We had 38 female, and 82 male. Also tracked from those who chose to disclose, as of yesterday the people in that room have avoided 365,475 cigarettes by switching to vaping. I thought that was a neat stat.

FAAmecanic

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 28, 2011
Crestview, FL
Vape meet was GREAT!!! Fazed and friends did an outstanding job!! You couldnt tell this was the first one that was organized in this area! Lots of good vendors showed with great stuff...and a new LOCAL juice maker (Cody of Posiedon) who makes GREAT fruity juices won me over as a new customer!

There was no sign of Ghengis Hahn or her (imaginary?) crew of cronies. And the folks that were at the meet were all a pleasure to chat and vape with!

I will definately be looking forward to the next meet (formal or informal)..... My hat goes off and a hearty handshake to all that made it happen.

MattZuke

ECF Veteran
Feb 28, 2011
A, A
There was no sign of Ghengis Hahn or her (imaginary?) crew of cronies. And the folks that were at the meet were all a pleasure to chat and vape with!

I have mixed feelings about this. I would have given them points if they asked to come along and provided free patches and resources for counseling. The fact that they didn't participate says to me they care nothing about public health.

Escapereality

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 25, 2012
Bluegrass
Vape meet was GREAT!!! Fazed and friends did an outstanding job!! You couldnt tell this was the first one that was organized in this area! Lots of good vendors showed with great stuff...and a new LOCAL juice maker (Cody of Posiedon) who makes GREAT fruity juices won me over as a new customer!

I will definately be looking forward to the next meet (formal or informal)..... My hat goes off and a hearty handshake to all that made it happen.

Poseidon makes some great juices...I'm a huge fan of Athena. As a new-ish vaper his juices have set the standard for me when it comes to simple yet complex fruity flavors.

DJJames

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 5, 2012
Lexington, KY
Sounds like all went well...very happy to hear that! FYI, for those who suggested notifying Hahn's employer of her actions...I'm sure she is tenured, which means she can be a murderer and still keep her job. Most she'd get is a slap on the wrist for using University letterhead.....

Yes and no. I work at the same university with her. And I have reported the incident to the Ethics committee. She may be tenured as a professor - and unlikely they would keep her from teaching - but her position as Director of the KY Tobacco-free Center could be up for grabs if she continues her power-hungry ways. That is a staff position and has no tenured guarantees :)

In this economy, I'd hate to see anyone actually fired - but she definitely needs to be put in her place and told that her authority has a strong boundary and does not go beyond the confines of the campus.

If put into a single year that is over 1000 cigarettes a day!!!! :blink:

I knew it would go well! Congratulations to you guys!

That is over 1,800 cartons and about $100,000 that will NOT be split between Big Tobacco, Big Government, & their "friends" at Big Pharma.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread