Kent C

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 12, 2009
NW Ohio US
I went to her site:

Libertarian Girl Home » Libertarian Girl

Funny pic there now: (I see it's been around, but I hadn't seen it)

nsa.png

:lol:

swampergene

ECF Veteran
Mar 9, 2014
Slatington, PA, USA
Excellent video, but it would work much better for us if it didn't have the Ron Paul association. Not that I care personally, but I know many people who would blow this off simply because it has his name attached. Some that would take an ANTZ position just because his name is on it. I won't dare share this on my FB timeline because of this, it may hurt our cause and that's unfortunate cuz it's a great message that should be shared.

:(

Kent C

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 12, 2009
NW Ohio US
Excellent video, but it would work much better for us if it didn't have the Ron Paul association. Not that I care personally, but I know many people who would blow this off simply because it has his name attached. Some that would take an ANTZ position just because his name is on it. I won't dare share this on my FB timeline because of this, it may hurt our cause and that's unfortunate cuz it's a great message that should be shared.

:(

There's just as many, maybe more, who would be attracted to it because his name is on it. Most establishment Republicans won't like it, but many civil libertarian Left might like it, or should. You'll never get the Nanny State/PC/liberal fascist Leftists, no matter who it is.

DrMA

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jan 26, 2013
Seattle area
In my view, the libertarians are a very self contradictory group. The approach to little or no govt intervention seems to make sense on social issues (even though some of them are staunch anti-abortionists). However, the libertarian economic agenda has had disastrous results in practice.

I can totally stand behind ideas that govt should not tell me how to raise my kids, who to marry, what to eat, drink or smoke. But, cutting taxes on the rich, letting the financial sector "self-regulate" and eliminating social safety nets cannot possibly result in a society where 99% of the people would want to live.

Coelli

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 5, 2014
Los Angeles, CA
In my view, the libertarians are a very self contradictory group. The approach to little or no govt intervention seems to make sense on social issues (even though some of them are staunch anti-abortionists). However, the libertarian economic agenda has had disastrous results in practice.

I can totally stand behind ideas that govt should not tell me how to raise my kids, who to marry, what to eat, drink or smoke. But, cutting taxes on the rich, letting the financial sector "self-regulate" and eliminating social safety nets cannot possibly result in a society where 99% of the people would want to live.

Exactly this. I used to vote Libertarian when I was much younger based just on the personal liberty issue, but eventually started voting blue. It may seem contradictory but it seemed that the Libertarian party turned into the Corporate party. I don't like everything Democrats do by any means but since I'm not a single issue voter I'm more in line with them than with any other party at this point.

I have many many liberal friends who support vaping but the Ron Paul name would immediately make them recoil. In all honesty, as soon as I saw the URL for this video it halted any desire I had to click on it. :( Just a gut reaction.

Last edited:

Kent C

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 12, 2009
NW Ohio US

It was the economic freedom of our founding that was part of why many wanted to live here. There were other reasons, but that was a major one for many immigrants. Most libertarians are against most taxes for everyone, not just the rich - in fact, most libertarian proposals are for flat taxes, where the rich who now avoid taxes entirely would be paying some. And you're 99% figure is a bit inflated - it's more like 40-50% of those who want everyone else to provide for them.

Kent C

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 12, 2009
NW Ohio US
Point is, we can reach more people by taking an apolitical position as a whole.

Then why did you introduce politics into this thread? One could say the same thing about every liberal media source of bad stuff on ecigs. Should we comment on that every time there's a piece from a political source? Or do you want 'apolitical' only when it isn't your politics. :facepalm:

swampergene

ECF Veteran
Mar 9, 2014
Slatington, PA, USA
Politics was introduced by the video, not by me, and that's my point because to many the message takes a back seat to the Ron Paul reference. And not that it matters but I personally agree with a lot of his platform and have helped local Libertarian candidates in the past. But I'm not going to pretend that others aren't offended by the very mention of his name and will attack anything they assume he stands for. Like I said, it's a great piece. It's too bad that the message will not reach many people that it needs to meet. You are absolutely right about the liberal media, and I spend a ton of time defending our choices, not because they are liberal but because they are just plain wrong. And in their hands, this video could be damning to our cause.

Kent C

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 12, 2009
NW Ohio US
Politics was introduced by the video, not by me, and that's my point because to many the message takes a back seat to the Ron Paul reference. And not that it matters but I personally agree with a lot of his platform and have helped local Libertarian candidates in the past. But I'm not going to pretend that others aren't offended by the very mention of his name and will attack anything they assume he stands for. Like I said, it's a great piece. It's too bad that the message will not reach many people that it needs to meet. You are absolutely right about the liberal media, and I spend a ton of time defending our choices, not because they are liberal but because they are just plain wrong. And in their hands, this video could be damning to our cause.

There is politics in almost every article posted here. Most people ignore it. You chose not to.

rothenbj

Vaping Master
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 23, 2009
Green Lane, Pa
Exactly this. I used to vote Libertarian when I was much younger based just on the personal liberty issue, but eventually started voting blue. It may seem contradictory but it seemed that the Libertarian party turned into the Corporate party. I don't like everything Democrats do by any means but since I'm not a single issue voter I'm more in line with them than with any other party at this point.

I have many many liberal friends who support vaping but the Ron Paul name would immediately make them recoil. In all honesty, as soon as I saw the URL for this video it halted any desire I had to click on it. :( Just a gut reaction.

I find it kind of humorous that Democrats sell themselves as the people's party and Republicans are the perceived as Corporate's party. You have Bill Gates, Warren Buffet and Larry Ellison, the three richest men in America are all Democrats. Such a deal is made about the Koch brothers but together they're only worth what Bill is worth alone. If you look at the 20 richest people in America, 60% are democrats.

I guess it works well to get votes but the fact is, our lawmakers are all fairly well off and the corporations are led by members of both parties and the only time most care about their constituents is at election time.

**edit** picked up the wrong quoted comment originally.

Last edited:

swampergene

ECF Veteran
Mar 9, 2014
Slatington, PA, USA
I did ignore it. I could care less that his name is there. I watched the video. I liked the video and agree with everything it says.

What I'm talking about is the ability, or in my opinion the lack of the ability, to use this video as a tool in our fight to protect our right to vape. All you need to do is look a few posts back and see that one of our own wouldn't even click the link. If all we can do is share it here...it's a great feel-good piece but nothing to use to help change the minds of others, in particular those who ascribe to everything the media pukes out. If this vid was available without the logo on the bottom, I'd be sharing this all over the place because I think it could sway some people.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread