Like drinking from a firehose...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Steel

Aug 21, 2010
Tucson
Hey guys! new to the boards and vaping here. Here's my story - I was considering an e-cig about a year ago, but never picked one up. There was still a lot of stories of bad quality and parts breaking, yadda yadda. I forgot about that until the other day when I went to pick up a pack of smokes at a smoke shop. There just happened to be a an e-cig company promoting their stuff there called "Green Nicotine" I ended up buying their starter kit, but after burning through the first carto in less than a day, I'm very close to pulling the trigger on a much better e-cig kit. The Green Nicotines are EXPENSIVE!!!, $85 for 1 batt, 2 carto's, usb and wall charger. And a pack of 10 cartos is $40. They also advertise that one carto is equal to 2.5 packs of smokes, which is not even CLOSE to the truth. So I'm going to try to return this product and get my money back, and use it to get one of the high quality ones that I've gone cross eyed reading about.

So, I've read raves about the 510, and about the KR808D-1's. I was leaning towards the KR from either Vapor King or Easy E-cig.. depending on whether I really need a wall charger and passthrough if I can just charge them through the PCC. But now I'm reading about the Rivas and eGo's and yeesh... there's just too much info... TBH, there's too many brands and variations out there. I am willing to bet within 10 years a lot of the crappier brands will die out and the 3-5 good brands will only get better and make choosing one easier, but I digress..

Anyway, so yeah, as i was saying I was leaning towards a KR808, because it seemed to have what i found was important to me:

-Has a close look and feel to an analog
-has a good TH and vapor
-Has longer lasting batteries (for a mini)
-Has a very handsome and easy to use PCC
-Has refillable cartos... I don't feel like dealing with a 3 piece.

Now I am coming from a 1.5-2 pack a day Marlboro Light (er.. Marlboro Gold Pack.. "Light" is illegal nowadays... and sometimes Camel Lights too) habit. But I am very much addicted to the TH and nicotine, often chain smoking 2-3 at a time to get my fix, so i was thinking of getting some 24 or 30mg tobacco and mint flavored juice. As it stands, i still have to smoke a few analogs a day to get my fix because these GN cartos are only 12mg I believe. So ultimately my plan is to buy the starter pack (from vapor king or easy e, still deciding whether the wall charger and passthrough are worth it), 10 extra blank cartos, and some sampler packs of high nic (24-30mg) tobacco and mint flavor juice.

So, any advice before I pull the trigger? I am planning on doing it later tonight. And I realize in a few months I'll probably buy something different anyhow, that seems to be the norm from what I've been reading.

Oh yeah one last thing - I really REALLY always loved the smell and flavor of very fine pipe tobacco. Are there any juices out there that emulate that?

Thanks guys, and happy vaping!!

tokengirl

ECF Veteran
Aug 6, 2010
IL/WI
Actually, my Dad is a pipe smoker for 50 years and I grew up with that ever present. Nhaler plain tobacco triggers those pipe smell and taste memories for me as if he was in the room. It's a weird deeply seated memory trigger. I have never smoked a pipe but that flavor is *exactly* what I remember Dad's pipe as.

I have no idea why they call it "Plain" as it is anything but. Spectacco would be more apt. Or Tobaccular.

Automaton

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jun 23, 2010
US
Hey Steel, welcome to ECF!

I have a Kr808D-1, and I love it. It's not branded, like the Vapor King. I bought my kit from ElectroNicStix for $35, and had a very good experience with them.

The 510 is also a good model, but between the 510 and the Kr808, the Kr808 does have better throat hit.

Don't pull the trigger on high nic juice just yet. I smoked as much as you, but full-flavors, and sometimes filterless. And 18mg is just fine for me. I can't handle 24mg. But, other people who smoked like me are vaping 24mg, or even 36mg. It's very individual, and you don't know until you try.

So, I would recommend you buy some small samplers in different strengths, and try it out. 12mg, 18mg, and 24mg. It never hurts to have a couple different strengths around, anyway, and you can always water them down if one is too strong, and use the weaker ones for chain-vaping. ;)

For pipe tobacco, give this a shot:
http://www.myfreedomsmokes.com/products/French-Pipe-E%2dLiquid.html

I haven't tried it, but I have bought from MyFreedomSmokes, and they are awesome dudes. I bought Lucky Strike juice there, and while it's not exactly like it, I do get a "toasted" taste.

But, here's the reality: there is no tobacco e-juice that really tastes just like tobacco. But trust me, this isn't going to matter as much as you think it will.

A PCC is definitely a worth-while thing to have, when you're using small batteries. I get 5-6 hours on a charge, but the PCC goes with me everywhere, and I haven't had any issues with it.

Personally... I prefer CigEasy's cartos. If I had the choice between Vapor4Life and CigEasy, I'd go with CigEasy based on their cartos. They last longer for me.

I would recommend you get:
- A starter kit
- An extra 5 or 10 cartos
- A few 5ml samplers with different nic strengths
- An extra battery
- A PCC.

When you figure out what nic strength you like, buy more juice FAST. Don't get in a position where you're out of juice and waiting on an order! It's happened to lots of us and it sucks.

Good luck. :)

Last edited:

Sierra

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 1, 2010
Texas
I currently have a pink ego as my first ecig (After the first rip off set) and i love it. I like mine not looking close to an analog though. It makes it feel fresh for me. As for MG if 12 isnt satisfying you I'd def take it up a notch. I vape @ 24 mg and that works for me. My favorite liquid is Honey Flu Nut from backwoods brew. It has a analog "like" flavor with a tint of honey nut on exhale. I love it. It was the liquid that made it possible for me to put down my smokes. Everyone is different though. You wont know until you get it if you love it or not. Keep trying no matter what!! Once you drop the smokes completely hopefully you'll feel as great as I do!

P.S. I agree with mistress on the liquid strengths. I had to try alot until I found exactly what I needed.

<3 Sierra Gray

Last edited by a moderator:

floridamale

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 3, 2010
Florida
From my limited time vaping a pass-through is a great investment no batteries to charge just plug it in and you are set to go. I use mine at the PC and while driving you always have a fresh vap. To vap at a 1.5 - 2 PAD rate you will also need a second battery 1 will not hold up. The KR808D with the PCC is what I use but I also just ordered a Elegant Easy for longer battery life. Get set up with carts and a few different juices also. Good Luck

Steel

Aug 21, 2010
Tucson
I forgot to mention, I'm going with the manual battery for a few reasons. First of all... that's how I hold a cigarette anyway. I guess one can call it the "joint holding method". I'd rather call it the Western style... That's just how I always held them, and very rarely would do the two finger method. Next is I'd almost NEVER hold a cigarette just by my mouth - the smoke would AWAYS go up ny nose or into my eyes and man did that hurt. Finally, with all the dripping experimentation going on, I don't want to short out automatic batteries. Automation isn't all that important to me. After all, I still insist on driving a stick shift car!

Placing order now. Hope it gets here quickly!

Strigoi

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 12, 2010
Martinez, CA
Oh yeah one last thing - I really REALLY always loved the smell and flavor of very fine pipe tobacco. Are there any juices out there that emulate that?

a friend of mine tried my Buttercream from Tasty Vapor and thought it tasted just like pipe tobacco. i've never smoked a pipe so i don't know if he's right or not. it tastes mostly like vanilla to me.

Ransyd1

ECF Veteran
Aug 20, 2010
Oregon, USA
I just got my Tornado(ego) today, and I am loving it! I got it for about $65 bucks from Totally Wicked with some pretty tasty blended tobacco carts. I've been vaping pretty steadily all day and haven't changed a battery yet! Also, It's surprisingly comfortable to hold. I'm totally excited to finally be doing this! Good for you on your decision! :thumbs:

Kobudo

ECF Veteran
Jan 16, 2010
Evansville, IN
a friend of mine tried my Buttercream from Tasty Vapor and thought it tasted just like pipe tobacco. i've never smoked a pipe so i don't know if he's right or not. it tastes mostly like vanilla to me.

+1 for Tastyvapor.

I would recommend any new user order several liquids in any flavors that sound appealing, in multiple strengths. To add to the previous statements on the topic, I smoked just under one PAD, and I had to start at 24 mg for a "comfort zone," and was still smoking one or two cigs a day for the first week.

As for Tastyvapor, they are my favorite juice vendor, and on the plus side for new folks, you can get some smaller empty bottles and adjust the nic strength to your heart's content.

On the downside, to do so you're ordering 5 oz. of liquid at a time (though at a great price) though you can trade anything you don't like here very easily.

If you want something that tastes as close as possible to a burning cig, I would say check out V4L's "Parliament" flavor, as it's spot-on. Of course, by the time I discovered it, I was pretty much turned-off of tobacco flavors. Just my luck, eh? :p

Above all else, have fun trying some different flavors -- your taste buds will be changing for weeks as they re-adjust, and they just might surprise you!

SnowDragon

Moved On
ECF Veteran
Jul 28, 2010
Boise, Idaho
As to the original post, easiest to make the switch would be ordering the Super Duper Extra Deluxe Continental Apex Kit (Don't know the kit name) from Vapor4Life. Get the one with XL Batteries, 1 Auto, 1 Manual, this will come with a USB Passthrough for "anytime vaping" on the computer or in the car.

The KR808D-1 feels like a real ciggie, the auto batteries will let you hold them like a real ciggie and the pre-filled cartomizers means no leaking or mess. A simple 2 piece item which is exactly what you are looking for. The XL Batteries last 6-8 hours and the auto battery means you don't need hold anything with your hands, for those times you need 2 hands.

If you get the kit, make sure to get an Auto USB Pass-Through for hands-free vaping on the road.

Others might say Riva, EGO, etc., but I think Vapor4Life is the answer for all of your needs.

SAVE 20% Today and Sunday...Type in "VapeFest"

Once you get going, you'll probably want to switch over to blank carts and juice, or try it with your first order I suggest the blank Cool Carts and 30ml of Wowboy...can't go wrong there.
Then if you decide to expand your equipment arsenal or go all-out to a mod (The Buzz) then you can make that decision then.

Best of luck, happy vaping! Let us know what you do!

Last edited:

CaptJay

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jan 3, 2010
A Brit, abroad, (USA)
Manuals are better and give you more control so good on ya for not being keen on automation in this instance lol
As for look n feel of a cig - I know you THINK you want that but you really don't - after a week changing batteries every half an hour you'll be looking for something the size of an RV..lol Trust me on this one. You want longevity, not compactness, which is going to be a bit longer in length than a 'real cig'.
A 510 basic PV is the size of a pen. The battery lasts half an hour on heavy usage.
A 510 eGo is the size of a pen if the end bit was as fat as an AA battery. Couple hours heavy usage on this one.
A KR8 is sort of in between but a bit slimmer.

Automaton

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jun 23, 2010
US
Manuals are better and give you more control so good on ya for not being keen on automation in this instance lol
As for look n feel of a cig - I know you THINK you want that but you really don't - after a week changing batteries every half an hour you'll be looking for something the size of an RV..lol Trust me on this one. You want longevity, not compactness, which is going to be a bit longer in length than a 'real cig'.
A 510 basic PV is the size of a pen. The battery lasts half an hour on heavy usage.
A 510 eGo is the size of a pen if the end bit was as fat as an AA battery. Couple hours heavy usage on this one.
A KR8 is sort of in between but a bit slimmer.

I agree with you on the manual part, but... I don't know how you'd kill an eGo batt in 2 hours.

My Kr8, even when I'm having one of those days where I'm sucking on it every second, still gets AT LEAST 3 hours. On a typical day, it gets 5 or 6.

An eGo has more than double the battery life as the Kr8.

I know everyone's experience is different... but I don't think those numbers are representitive of the average. Even for heavy vapors.

And as far as "not knowing what you want," for me... no, I'm perfectly fine with compact. I can hold it between my fingers when I write. Writing is kind of my life, and it's a habit I won't leave behind. Even if I eventually do get a mod, I will always have my stock Kr8 batts around, for this exact reason.

I will say most people do upgrade at some point, but some of us don't. It's hard to say what an individual will need without knowing them.

This finger-holding-while-writing thing? It may sound little to you, but it's as big to me as seeing smoke, or getting throat hit. It's part of the experience. Thus, having some compact around is a requirement.

For a size reference, the eGo (standard 510 atty and cart) and the Kr8 at literally the exact same length. The Kr8 and the standard 510 are the same width.

Saintscruiser

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jul 24, 2010
Mississippi
Welcome Steel!!! This is a great site with great people who will help you in any way they can.

I use a Joye 510 - black slender - and I really do love it. I can take it anywhere. I got the USB charger and wall plug charger. I also got extra batteries, empty carts, pre-filled carts.....I ordered like going down a yummy buffet! :laugh: My only problem is keeping up with it. I never could find where I laid my analogs, either!

The e-juices take a bit of tweeking. What you think you'll like may not turn out to be what you want. DON'T GIVE UP! You'll get it. It comes with practice and 'just doing it.'

My son told me the other day that I was the last person he thought that would ever give up smoking analogs. He is so blown out of the water. It's those comments that make you smile and celebrate! Good luck to you! :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread