Lobelia

Status
Not open for further replies.

jbbishop

ECF Veteran
Feb 16, 2009
SLC, UT U.S.A.
Lobelia has been marketed as a smoking cessation product under various names for several decades in the form of buffered tablets which made such products less prone to cause nausea. The variety used most commonly in modern herbalism is Lobelia inflata (Its traditional--and effective--use as a nicotine replacement earned it the nickname Indian tobacco). This is of course different than Nicotiana Rustica, also sometimes referred to as "Indian tobacco," containing psychoactives harmine and harmaline. The alkaloid lobeline, an active ingredient in Lobelia, though less potent, is similar to nicotine in its effect on the body. For this reason, lobeline has been used as a nicotine substitute in many anti-smoking products and preparations designed to break the smoking habit. Your body sees Lobelia's main ingredient, lobeline, as nicotine. Certain receptors in your body are waiting to be filled with nicotine and so you feel nicotine fits. Lobeline is the same shape as nicotine and fits into these receptor sites, fooling your body into thinking you've been smoking tobacco. Lobeline, however, is not addictive when used properly for the short term. The prescription chewing gums that doctors prescribe to quit smoking have lobeline as the main ingredient.

It is important to note that Lobelia is a potentially toxic herb. Excessive use will cause nausea and vomiting. Because of this, it earned the name "puke weed." Lobelia can be safely used in very small doses (particularly homeopathic doses), but moderate-to-large doses can cause serious adverse effects ranging from dry mouth and nausea to convulsions and even coma. Due to many undesirable side-effects, Mayo Clinic experts do not recommend the use of Lobelia for the treatment of any condition, including nicotine withdrawal.

I have often wondered if a small amount could be mixed with other herbs and smoked as an herbal cigarette and I had expected this would have a similar effect, and apparently it has been recommended by some as a component of herbal smoking blends to help ease nicotine withdrawl. But the success of using it in this way is dubious. In 1993, the U.S. Food and Drug Administration (FDA) prohibited the sale of lobeline-containing smoking products. The FDA reported that such products lacked effectiveness in helping people quit or reduce smoking.

But let me tell you about my experience with it. I actually stopped smoking about 25 years ago for a whole day! About mid-day I took a product with Lobelia as the active ingredient (Bantron) and I did notice a marked decrease in my nicotine cravings.

You can still get Cigarrest, for example here: http://www.cigarrest.com and probably Walgreens or somewhere like that.

You can find it at health food stores and herb shops and online of course. In the United States Lobelia is illegal to sell for internal consumption. The important thing to remember about Lobelia is that it is so strong. When making tea, use a teaspoon per 1/2 gallon of water mixed with other herbs. For a smoking mixture add a pinch to a bag of other herbs. If you do take too much Lobelia it will make you throw up over 90% of the time.

In tincture form, Lobelia Essence is easily applied and quickly absorbed through the skin or can be taken under the tongue. Nature's Sunshine makes a Lobelia essence. Lobelia skin patches are even available.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread