Local News Story/Video After Smoking Ban

Status
Not open for further replies.

b12ad

ECF Veteran
Apr 22, 2009
Kannapolis, NC
After being smoke free after using my trusty e-cig for almost a year now, I'm always interested in news stories I see in the public. Below is a story, along with 2 videos which aired on the local news in my area last night which I just wanted to share. I'm sure these are popping up more and more as the word spreads. Of course, as always, they will continue to include inaccuracies and misinformation. We'll get there someday!

Story
Are electronic cigarettes safer or just a fad? - WBTV 3 News, Weather, Sports, and Traffic for Charlotte, NC-

Video 1:
Video - WBTV 3 News, Weather, Sports, and Traffic for Charlotte, NC-

Video 2:
Video - WBTV 3 News, Weather, Sports, and Traffic for Charlotte, NC-

Thanks,
Brad

searcher

ECF Veteran
Sep 17, 2009
Bossier City, La
Here is what I posted on their site (Hope I didn't mess up the facts):

Thank you for your report on e-cigarettes. Please allow me to add a few more facts about them. The cartridges contain Propylene Glycol (PG), Vegetable Glycerin (VG), and nicotine (strength depends on what you order or it is available in 0-NIC for those who are trying to quit). It also contains certain flavorings. All these ingredients are USP certified. PG is the suspension for the other ingredients. PG is approved for the food supply and is found in most processed foods and is the carrier in most breathing treatments. The FDA checked 20 prefilled carts in their only (that I know of) test of this product and found Diethylene glycol (DEG) in trace amounts in one cartridge (hence the antifreeze scare). No one knows how it got there (maybe the tech cross contaminated), but it wasn't repeated. FDA’s report also shows that the cartridges contain certain tobacco-specific impurities (at much lower levels than conventional cigarettes). This is from the extraction process. I understand that some producers are now using synthetic nicotine (don't know if I want that) to remove the impurities.
In this case you don't get what you pay for. The best kits average about 30 to 50 dollars. Refillable cartridges are between 3 and 10 dollars. Nicotine liquid is between 8 and 30 dollars for 30 mls (enough to last a smoker 2 weeks to a month).
I received my e-cigarette in September of 2009 and quit regular cigarettes that day (when I ordered it I had no intention of quitting. I had smoked a pack and a half a day for 40 plus years.). The success of this item far outstrips any pills or patches on the market.
Please take a moment to browse at http://www.e-cigarette-forum.com/forum/ for a lot of info on e-cigarettes. I don't know what will be found years down the road after using these (neither does chantix) but I do know how much better I am today after almost 6 months without a cigarette. Please let your viewers know about this option. You just might save a smokers life.
I am in no way connected with any manufacturer or seller of this item but I am very appreciative of them for giving me an alternative.

Today, 10:55:04 PM
– Flag – Like – Reply – Delete – Edit – Moderate

gxpA99f0jKlohF_DgthroT-24x24.png

admin-comment.png
Bill Jr.
icon10-external-url.png

One more thing, Propylene Glycol is used in antifreeze also. It was added in the reformulation so that if your pet got into it they wouldn't die from it.

Sad Society

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 5, 2009
Los Angeles, CA
Props to the owner for allowing vaping in his establishment.

Now for the sad part. Very uninformitive information about ecigs in both videos. In the first vid they talk about only one type of ecig kit at the end. They say that it's one hundred dollars for the kit...Yeah if I wanted to get ripped off. They also make the assumption that you can only use prefilled carts and make it sound like the cost of using an ecig will cost more than just smoking regular analogs.

This story is a joke and it's sad.

In the second video she doesn't even talk about atomizers or how vaper is produced. She just talks about how to charge the battery and how to switch out carts. Get with the times lady! Anybody could figure how to charge a battery. These news stories are lame.

In a world where we don't use encyclopedia books anymore to look things up...We now use the internet. Hopefully people who may have seen this news story on T.V. or one very similar and are trully interested in trying ecigs will look to the internet and find ECF.

Shortstuff116

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 2, 2009
Bellingham, MA
Misinformation is an understatement. I'm so very tempted to contact the local news media so I can provide real-time information and facts about our PV's before any more "investigative" idiots put their seal of un-approval out there to the general public.

I'm a bit surprised to hear that bar owner say that he can't stop his patrons from using one in his establishment because up here in MA they surely can. Up here we tread softly but so far have been very successful with many stores and restaurants.

:thumb:

dtm

ECF Veteran
Jan 22, 2010
Mitten State
Repost: Danger of Inhaling Propylene Glycol
*from an article on e-how... sorry not enough posts to create a link*

Most interesting.

(PG), is a colorless, odorless chemical that is used as a food additive, in cosmetics and in pharmaceuticals as an inert solvent or carrier. Its industrial applications include antifreezes, hydraulic fluids, deicing liquids and coolants. PG is recognized as safe by the Food and Drug Administration (FDA).

and...

1. Electronic Cigarettes
2. Persons trying to quit smoking have recently turned to the recent invention of electronic cigarettes. Battery-powered, these devices deliver measured amounts of nicotine diluted in PG and then inhaled. A heating element within the device vaporizes the compounds, thereby allowing for easy inhalation. While many have questioned the safety of electronic cigarettes, their concerns are directed toward the inconsistent amounts of nicotine, not the PG solution in which it is delivered.

Looks like they are fishing for something here, like anything to throw a spanner in the works... well, I'll take my "inconsistent" e-cig over one I light up any day.

deewal

ECF Veteran
Aug 30, 2008
In a house.
I use V.G based liquid only as do a lot of other Vapers. Even if i cut it i use Aqueous V.G or even Glycerin B.P (92pence for 200ml over the counter at Boot's Pharmacy) It wonder what they can find that makes Vegetable's Dangerous. I think i may go into Investigative Journalism. It appears you can just make up a story about anything or anyone without having to worry about the Consequences and get paid for it. :w00t:

Ugh, I cant stand to see this forum talk this way. Are you guys REALLY that insane?! They did NOT say anything that was FALSE! They did not say anything BAD about them. They did NOT say anything that was even harmful for the actual industry for these things.

Come on people, lighten up. If you want the exposure, then you have to be willing to accept what people say.

Of all the posts of the news that I have seen on this site in the past two days, I am COMPLETELY SHOCKED at some of yalls reactions. "Thats total bull...." "They are so misinformed", Well, my response to that is, how informed are YOU?! I have seen some of the forum posts that people claim they have done analysis' on these things, however, I just text on a screen, I dont see actual HARDCORE proof to back ANY of the claims that they are safe, or they are not safe.

So again, To constantly be pessamistic on what the news is doing, is probably the wrong way to look at it.. Try looking at it in an optimisitic view, and maybe, just maybe, you will see that people are ACTUALLY TRYING TO ACCEPT these, instead of completely condeming them, like most of this board is seeing it.

Just my .02

Jesse

deewal

ECF Veteran
Aug 30, 2008
In a house.
Ugh, I cant stand to see this forum talk this way. Are you guys REALLY that insane?! They did NOT say anything that was FALSE! They did not say anything BAD about them. They did NOT say anything that was even harmful for the actual industry for these things.

Come on people, lighten up. If you want the exposure, then you have to be willing to accept what people say.

Of all the posts of the news that I have seen on this site in the past two days, I am COMPLETELY SHOCKED at some of yalls reactions. "Thats total bull...." "They are so misinformed", Well, my response to that is, how informed are YOU?! I have seen some of the forum posts that people claim they have done analysis' on these things, however, I just text on a screen, I dont see actual HARDCORE proof to back ANY of the claims that they are safe, or they are not safe.

So again, To constantly be pessamistic on what the news is doing, is probably the wrong way to look at it.. Try looking at it in an optimisitic view, and maybe, just maybe, you will see that people are ACTUALLY TRYING TO ACCEPT these, instead of completely condeming them, like most of this board is seeing it.

Just my .02

Jesse

You did read post 4 in this thread did you?
http://www.e-cigarette-forum.com/fo...ry-video-after-smoking-ban-2.html#post1034943

What i and others are saying is that before you make a "new video" investigating something, it might be a good idea to do some in depth research into the subject first. The good Doctor did'nt know what the "long term effects might be" and bought up the good old anti-freeze story which he must have read (or most probably seen" from many of the blatent Anti E-Cig stories flying around the Media which has been propogated by the FDA and by now has been discredited. He does however know the Long term effects of Smoking Tobacco which he did not elaborate on. I do not use PG Liquid. I use Vegetable Food Grade Glycerin Liquid which was not mentioned. A little more research would have shown that as Post 4 said, would have shown that a far superior Model than the one shown can be bought for half the price and the remark by the good Lady "and here's the kicker" imply's some sort of negative aspects i.e a "con". You ask for proof and all you can see are figures (that you don't understand) but no proof. There are Video's and photographs and approx 3 years of research made by user's of this Forum. The thousands of member's of this site alone (never mind other Vaping sites) is proof that the E-Cig works. I could post x-rays of my lungs "before and after" and my BP stats and the results of my Blood Tests if you wan't.
Would you like a letter from my Doctor who has been charting my progress for the past 18 or so months and has cut down my Medication for Hypertension as i don't need as much now ? As far as the words in the Documentary "but it's still Nicotine which is a very powerful drug" is concerned, then why don't they Ban Cigarettes and the Contents of the Establishment in which most of the Video was filmed. Alcohol.
I see you've only just joined the ECF Asylum and this was your third post. It took me a good 7 months to read most of the information on this Forum and there is still a lot of Sub Forums i hav'nt investigated yet.
If the strength of feeling about negative and misinformed Media Coverage is so abhorrent to you then you could just stop reading.
The reaction by the people who have written in this thread stems from the fact that for every one positive article that is in the Media there are thirty Negative articles and the E-Cig is being Banned in State after State and Country by Country because of these unfounded and misleading Reports.
I have been very carefully monitored by my Doctor and if E-Cigs were doing me harm he would definitely tell me to stop but the consequences of carrying on Smoking Tobacco is certain Death very soon. I have been Smoking 30+ Cigarettes for 50 years and have stopped almost instantly by using E-Cigs after nothing else had worked.
Sorry to interupt. Please carry on being SHOCKED.:shock:

Last edited:
You did read post 4 in this thread did you?

What i and others are saying is that before you make a "new video" investigating something, it might be a good idea to do some in depth research into the subject first. The good Doctor did'nt know what the "long term effects might be" and bought up the good old anti-freeze story which he must have read (or most probably seen" from many of the blatent Anti E-Cig stories flying around the Media which has been propogated by the FDA and by now has been discredited. He does however know the Long term effects of Smoking Tobacco which he did not elaborate on. I do not use PG Liquid. I use Vegetable Food Grade Glycerin Liquid which was not mentioned. A little more research would have shown that as Post 4 said, would have shown that a far superior Model than the one shown can be bought for half the price and the remark by the good Lady "and here's the kicker" imply's some sort of negative aspects i.e a "con". You ask for proof and all you can see are figures (that you don't understand) but no proof. There are Video's and photographs and approx 3 years of research made by user's of this Forum. The thousands of member's of this site alone (never mind other Vaping sites) is proof that the E-Cig works. I could post x-rays of my lungs "before and after" and my BP stats and the results of my Blood Tests if you wan't.
Would you like a letter from my Doctor who has been charting my progress for the past 18 or so months and has cut down my Medication for Hypertension as i don't need as much now ? As far as the words in the Documentary "but it's still Nicotine which is a very powerful drug" is concerned, then why don't they Ban Cigarettes and the Contents of the Establishment in which most of the Video was filmed. Alcohol.
I see you've only just joined the ECF Asylum and this was your third post. It took me a good 7 months to read most of the information on this Forum and there is still a lot of Sub Forums i hav'nt investigated yet.
If the strength of feeling about negative and misinformed Media Coverage is so abhorrent to you then you could just stop reading.
The reaction by the people who have written in this thread stems from the fact that for every one positive article that is in the Media there are thirty Negative articles and the E-Cig is being Banned in State after State and Country by Country because of these unfounded and misleading Reports.
I have been very carefully monitored by my Doctor and if E-Cigs were doing me harm he would definitely tell me to stop but the consequences of carrying on Smoking Tobacco is certain Death very soon. I have been Smoking 30+ Cigarettes for 50 years and have stopped almost instantly by using E-Cigs after nothing else had worked.
Sorry to interupt. Please carry on being SHOCKED.:shock:

Ok.. I will reilliterate what I had said earlier. SHOW ME IN THAT VIDEO WHERE THEY SAID ANYTHING FALSE! They did NOT claim anything false, and they VERY OPENLY admitted that they did NOT know that much about them, so WHY are you condeming them? (the news outlet) I mean it seems like some of the people on here are on more of a holy crusade than Jimmy Swaggart himself.

You say "they brought up the old antifreeze comment".. And were they false? NO! they were not. Propylene glycol IS found in antifreeze, reguardless of the "Grade" used.

I started reading this forum, to do my OWN research on these things, because I am in the process of buying out a Electronic Cigarette/Personal Vaporizer company. Just because I dont post, doesn't mean that I havent spent many hours READING.

Now back to your post. You have said NOTHING that they haven't already said. The only thing that you have said, is that it helped you, and thats great. I am happy for you. However, for you to tell me that "i dont understand" is ludacris. I would gaurentee that I have more of an understanding of the principles, and materials used in these things than you will ever have, and that was very clearly illustrated in your post. I am not trying to have a pissing contest here, I am simply stating that the people like YOU, need to make a choice. That choice being, eaither you WANT these things to be mainstream or you DONT. If you want them to be mainstream, then you need to be willing to accept the good AND the bad that comes along with that. Do I agree with alot of what the news is saying? No, I dont, however, im not spouting off on a forum, about how "uneducated" they are, and how "full of bull...." they are. It will happen with ANYTHING you do, it doesnt matter what the product is.

So maybe you and the majority of the posters on here need to rethink how you approach your responses, instead of simply saying "well they are wrong" pfft.

Jesse

ChipCurtis

ECF Veteran
Nov 4, 2009
jstickley,

I see that you just joined and you have 4 posts so far.

Whatever the tone of various responses in this forum, I just want you to realize (especially if you are in the process of buying out an e-cig company) that you are stepping into a very volatile legal hornets nest. I would heartily recommend that you continue and continue to read up on medical and legal developments before having such a hard-stated position on things. The legal status of e-cig commerce is changing day by day. After all, you probably just bought out a company that could/would not keep up with all the legal hassles and has simply passed on their "hot potato" to you.

Keep up with the docket sheet on here. There's a lot of catching up for you to do if you just stuck your foot into this fledgling business. After you do that reading, you will completely understand why people have these attitudes.
Or maybe not.

One day you may find yourself doing great business, the next day you may find yourself completely outflanked by the FDA or anti-smoking groups, and out of business. Be wary.

That's all.

Last edited:
Well that is not the reasoning for them wanting to sell but that is neither here nor there... what is the point is the foolish replies I have read. Everyone is going ape.... over comments directly resulting from someone not having an understanding of the device... if I were to get on the news a d was asked a question reguarding quantum physics and my reply was " I am not sure" would the qp nuts say that I was "totally full of ....?" Probably not. Same thing here...

We live in a wonderful country a FREE country where we have the ability to do what's is called "lobby the government." I have yet to read where ANYONE has stepped up to do this. The FDA does it, don't you think you should? All I hear is people taking up collections to sue someone... typical liberal bull...., yes bull..... Get off your asses and make a difference instead of sitting at home whining about it. I mean with all the energy regained from not smoking this should NOT be a problem.

LOL waits for the mob to lay down the law of the e cig constitution. Heh

Jesse

Well that is not the reasoning for them wanting to sell but that is neither here nor there... what is the point is the foolish replies I have read. Everyone is going ape.... over comments directly resulting from someone not having an understanding of the device... if I were to get on the news a d was asked a question reguarding quantum physics and my reply was " I am not sure" would the qp nuts say that I was "totally full of ....?" Probably not. Same thing here...

We live in a wonderful country a FREE country where we have the ability to do what's is called "lobby the government." I have yet to read where ANYONE has stepped up to do this. The FDA does it, don't you think you should? All I hear is people taking up collections to sue someone... typical liberal bull...., yes bull..... Get off your asses and make a difference instead of sitting at home whining about it. I mean with all the energy regained from not smoking this should NOT be a problem.

LOL waits for the mob to lay down the law of the e cig constitution. Heh

Jesse

ChipCurtis

ECF Veteran
Nov 4, 2009
Jesse, try kicking ONCE on the Submit button, that way you won't get constant double-posts.

Where were we? Oh, yeah. Waiting for mobsters... [waits earnestly for Joe Pesci-like character to knock on door with bat in hands......]

I hope you realize that the average Joe Schmoe on this forum, even a formidabie collection of us, don't have the capital to go up against the government. Did you know that the FDA is exempt from liability? That means that if the FDA eventually loses this case, they don't have to pay damages to any of the companies for whom they held up shipments on. All this money is going to be a complete loss for the e-cig community, JUST to get the FDA off our backs. No return on investment other than to keep e-cigs legal to use.

The FDA has the money (some of which is OUR money, which they got through tobacco taxes) to make virtually ANY argument they want to. Currently in the FDA vs. SE/NJOY case, they are grasping at straws for reasons to get the e-cig banned. Once they lose one argument, they start up another offensive legal strategy.

Kind of a losing game for your average e-cig user who only wants to save their lungs and their life.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread