1/26 New York YNN Story - dissapointing

Status
Not open for further replies.

Turnkeys

ECF Veteran
Oct 14, 2010
SW Washington State
Bill would ban e-cigarettes in NY - YNN, Your News Now

This was dated 1/26/2011. I just found it this morning.
The more I watched the more dissapointed I became. This vendor has very little idea what she's selling, nor of the issues surrounding the products and proposed bans.

Getting off the bench I sent her an e-mail. Probably should've waited 'till I was done at work, but wanted to strike 'fore the iron got cold...

RE: Bill would ban e-cigarettes in NY - YNN, Your News Now

Good morning.

I just came across your Jan 26 interview via google and I have to say that the more I watched, the deeper my dissapointment became. This store manager clearly has little idea of the details about e-cigarettettes nor the issue surrounding the proposed bans. Her lack of knowledge and information left the story more than a little one sided. Therefore I would urge you to do the due dilligence when reporting on this issue in the future. The FDA's claims that e-cigarettes are unsafe are unfounded and factually innacurate.

While describing how they work and what they are, Ms. Hudson claims that their brand eliminates most of the harmful effects inferring that some are still present including nicotine. While some may consider it undesireable, nicotine by itself has not been proven to be any more harmful than caffeine.

'One of the claims lawmakers are claiming is that nobody really knows what is in there.' This is also misinformation. The NY assembly promoting this ban has been provided with hundreds of letters, faxes, e-mails and phone calls providing a bounty of information about the contents of the e-liquid, ingredients that individually are all FDA approved. They include propylene glycol, liquid nicotine, distilled water and flavoring.

Ms. Hudson also claims she dosen't know anyone who's "actually quit" due to their use of e-cigarettes.I find that difficult to believe from a vendor who has contact with many more users than I would. I know 3 people personally who use them, 2 of whom have quit using tobacco cigarettes. I'm also associated with dozens more from an online support forum who've quit completely after only a day of use.

From that forum:
http://www.e-cigarette-forum.com/forum/e-cigarette-news/157185-abc-news-story.html#post2572422

Please note the recent study by Zachary Cahn, and Michael Siegel
http://www.hsph.harvard.edu/centers-institutes/population-development/files/article.jphp.pdf

There are approximately 47.5 million smokers in the US today (Fox news), and a national average of state and federal taxes of $1.45 per pack. If we assume an average of one pack smoked a day, the taxes are nearly 26 billion. Consider then the amount the tobacco industry makes per pack, $5-$15 each depending on the state. What are the real motivations behind these bans?

Please, do the research.

Thank you,
[witheld]

Comments welcome. And thanks, Elaine!!

forgot to add her e-mail: sabina.kuriakose@ynn.com

Last edited:

ec!gg

Unregistered Supplier
ECF Veteran
Jul 2, 2010
Philadelphia, PA
www.ecigg.org
Thanks Turnkey for taking the time to email YNN.

The interview makes electronic cigarette sellers look clueless considering Bonnie(The Store Manager) has nooo idea what e-juice consists of. Bonnie should really research this if she is selling it.

Bonnie also mentions she does not know of any people that quit analogs using e-cigarettes... I highly disagree with her, because we know of quite a bit of people that quit analogs and are happier than ever.

Very disappointing News clip.

TheIllustratedMan

ECF Veteran
Jun 12, 2009
Upstate, NY
Thanks for posting this. I'd been told that I was on TV, couldn't find the story. That's footage from when we went to Northampton Mass. You can see me, Paradiso, Vapin' Valerie, and Spike.
It really is a problem that a lot of brick and mortar retailers don't know anything about them, but I have to pull myself back for a moment and think about the vast majority of people working retail. If I walked into a Walmart and asked some random employee to tell me all about a vitamin (for instance) and how it worked and what the health effects of it (positive and negative) were, chances are very high that all they could tell me was what was on the label.
So I have to come back to the idea that we need much better labeling on kits and liquid. List the ingredients (Propylene Glycol, Glycerin, Nicotine, Natural and Artificial Flavors). Put something on there that says "Not for sale to those under 18". Be proactive and address these issues BEFORE they come up. That way, anyone can look at the label and say "oh, here's what's in it, and look, it's not being sold to minors."
That would really help our cause a lot.

Placebo Effect

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Sep 19, 2008
Thanks Turnkey for taking the time to email YNN.

The interview makes electronic cigarette sellers look clueless considering Bonnie(The Store Manager) has nooo idea what e-juice consists of. Bonnie should really research this if she is selling it.

Bonnie also mentions she does not know of any people that quit analogs using e-cigarettes... I highly disagree with her, because we know of quite a bit of people that quit analogs and are happier than ever.

Very disappointing News clip.

When I e-mailed the reporter I mentioned that the reason why Bonnie probably hadn't seen customers who had quit were two-fold: 1) If you quit smoking, why go back into a tobacco shop? and 2) Many e-cig users who get their first model at a store quickly find out about internet sources.

And yes, I agree with you TheIllustratedMan about labeling. Companies should be allowed to protect their trade secrets to a certain degree, but when you're making a legal recreational drug in the year 2011, reality is that being proactive and getting that information out there is very important for long-term viability.

Do any companies include an ingredients list?

Bill Godshall

Executive Director<br/> Smokefree Pennsylvania
ECF Veteran
Apr 2, 2009
I thought the comments of the retailer were helpful, as she pointed out that the store doesn't sell to minors, that very few college students or young adults buy them, that most customers are 30 or older, that e-cig customers claim they now smoke fewer cigarettes, and that e-cigarettes are selling very well. All good points.

Turnkeys

ECF Veteran
Oct 14, 2010
SW Washington State
Jus' saw this reply arrive while at work.

Thank you for your feedback. I believe our report was factual. When our guest mentions "quitting," she is referring to her own personal experience with smokers who have been able to quit nicotine all together, including e-cigarettes. As for lawmakers' claims, these are based on exactly what those legislators promoting the ban told us. I also presented counter claims from the e-cig industry.

Thanks again,

Sabina Kuriakose
YNN Albany
Reporter

Still sounds like the party line to me...

Vocalek

CASAA Activist
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Jus' saw this reply arrive while at work.

Still sounds like the party line to me...

No, she did not present counter claims from the e-cig industry. A tobacco store owner is a retailer, not the representative of an industry, any more than a drug store manager is a representative of the pharmaceutical industry or the cosmetics industry. She also did not adequately represent the views of consumers. CASAA would be quite willing to talk with her for a follow-up story. PM me if ou want contact information.

Turnkeys

ECF Veteran
Oct 14, 2010
SW Washington State
With Elaine's help (Thank you!!) another reply to YNN.

Good morning Sabina,

Yes your report was factual with regard to your guest's comments. But having just watched it again, there aren't enough facts, and with few exceptions the 'facts' offered by the FDA and legislature are inaccurate. Also your guest is a tobacco retailer who also sells e-cigarettes, thus not a proper representative for the e-cigarette industry.

The people this story and issue is most important to are the users of the products, and their viewpoint wasn't represented. These devices are helping people now, today. And this ban, should it be passed will harm people now, and tomorrow. Your guest's assessments are quite correct for most PV (personal vaporizers or e-cigs) users, if the devices are banned many would return to smoking cigarettes. I wouldn't claim they are 100% safe, but they certainly are 100 times safer than lighting a smoke.

What concerns me the most is the possible prescident. If a ban should succeed in NY, it will bolster legislators in other states and further harm people who have found a healthy alternative. The Supreme Court has already ruled the FDA can regulate PV's under the Tobacco Control Act. With that they could put quality controls and industry standards into place, and yes, even taxes. Why is banning a safer alternative to cigarettes so important when cigarettes are sold for $12-$15/pack on every street corner? Why is Linda Rosenthal ignoring so much evidence and insisting that if she can quit (with the help of a nicotine replacement), that anyone can?

I'm not saying that you didn't present lawmakers' claims, I'm saying those claims are wrong. "If it quacks like a duck" is not legislature. The counter claims you presented, to me, sounded like an aside.

I had been a 20+ year, 1-1.5 pack a day smoker. Nicotine gum, patches, herbals and perscription aides were all ineffective for me. After trying a PV my use of cigarettes immediately reduced and now I am a non-smoker. My girlfriend has similarly been able to quit her 15 year habit, as has her sister a 20 year habit. My mother and her 40 year habit are next. Yes I still use nicotine, but I also still drink coffee. My health is improving every day since making the switch.

I'm usually not one who spends my time getting involved, but by investing my time in New Yorks battle I hope to make that same fight easier in Washington state, and everywhere else people might want to make a choice and a change in their life.

I'm not asking you to join my fight or promote the cause of the e-cigarette industry. I'm asking you to dig deeper, check the facts, and investigate.

If you need more info, I will be happy to help. I would also urge you to contact the CASAA the Consumer Advocates for Smoke-Free Alternatives Association and learn more for yourself. Their media contact ****** ******, has forwareded me her phone and e-mail information for you to reach her. ***-***-****, *****@casaa.org

Thank you for your interest,

I had to quickly tone down my .....y attitude and need to rant. After watching the report again, it seemed to me that Sabina (interviewer) was the only one who didn't have prejudiced undertones in her voice and inflection. Even the anchor introducing the story appeared to have formed an opinion...

As always, comments are welcome. Suggestions and criticisms also. lol

yvilla

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 18, 2008
Rochester, NY
My only "criticism", Turnkeys, is that unfortunately you made a factual error that can cut down your credibility. The Supreme Court has not ruled in any way on e-cigs, nor has the case gotten near it yet. It was the DC Circuit Court of Appeals that recently ruled, denying the FDA's appeal from the adverse (to it) decision of the DC Circuit District Court.

Also, the term is "precedent".

I love your passion and activism! It's just that we need to be sure to get it all right, so that nothing gets in the way of showing that we have the truth on our side.

Vocalek

CASAA Activist
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Any of us CASAA folks would be happy to review your text before you send to media. You have my email address. That being said, I echo what Yolanda said about your passion and activism. We need more folks like you!

I thank you for following up on this and hope that she will contact CASAA. :thumbs:

We are starting to be noticed. :toast:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread