Status
Not open for further replies.

bombastinator

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 12, 2010
MN USA
Replaceable battery mods can last a long time. So long that many of the longer lives can no longer be purchased. The problem becomes finding batteries that still work in them. To date I have yet to have a VV mod that failed on me for an electronics reason. The ones I have pitched had problems with their paint or their 510 connector wearing out. Except the VTX 200 squonk. That one I got like a week out of, and it’s parts were to flimsy to allow it to get back together again.

Reactions: bnrkwest

r77r7r

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
  • Feb 15, 2011
    Pa,LandOfTaxes
    Interesting about LiPo batts, I guess my little Orion DNA's could last a very long time!
    Considering that we gamble on the quality of an unseen battery, they Do seem to work well. I mostly remember off brand eGo's and many cig-likes dying early.

englishmick

Vaping Master
    Supporting Member
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Sep 25, 2014
    Naptown, Indiana
    Spinners 6 years old. Haven't used them for 2 or 3 years and they still work. iStick 40 5 years and still going fine.

3 Sigeleis started glitching after less than a year. The screens would stay lit on the dim setting until the battery ran down to 2 volts. Then one of them started firing while it sat on my desk in front of me and burned a battery. The 510 wore out on an iStick 30 after 3 years.

Provaris are coming in the winner here. Maybe that's just because not many mods have been around that long. It will be interesting to have this conversation 5 years from now. Basically we have no way of knowing how most mods will hold up over ten years. How well we treat them is probably a big factor.

bombastinator

ECF Guru
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Sep 12, 2010
    MN USA
    There are some general things to look for which are more or less the same as any other object. Stainless Steel beats aluminum beats zinc beats plastic. Everything that isn’t paint beats paint. Good machining beats poor machining. Simplicity beats complexity. Replaceable parts beat non replaceable parts if you can get or have parts. Thick threads beat thin threads beat press fitting. Replaceable glass beats plastic. Replaceable batteries beat non replaceable batteries if you can get replacement batteries. Non replaceable glass may or may not beat plastic. I’m also going to say USBC beats microUSB2 and then I’m going to get jumped on by @Punk In Drublic

madstabber

Vaping Master
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Jan 20, 2013
    Concoction Creating Cave
    Sigelei Zmax
    Smoant Battlestar-love this mod, it’s simple and sturdy. I watched a review where it was disassembled and it is put together well. Had thick wires attached very well and the 510 was attached to the box very well. This thing is solid as they come and it’s a hard one to kill short up dunking in water or having batteries explode in them although I think it could survive that as long as the board didn’t take a direct hit.

Punk In Drublic

Vaping Master
    ECF Veteran
    Aug 28, 2018
    Toronto, ON
    I’m also going to say USBC beats microUSB2 and then I’m going to get jumped on by @Punk In Drublic

I agree that USB C is a better interface than Micro USB 2. I disagree with your Micro USB 2 claims on how fragile it is. One sentence you claim the port can break in weeks. Then you refer to a test that demonstrates decades of use if used once a day similar to how we charge our vape devices. Bit contradicting

bombastinator

ECF Guru
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Sep 12, 2010
    MN USA
    I agree that USB C is a better interface than Micro USB 2. I disagree with your Micro USB 2 claims on how fragile it is. One sentence you claim the port can break in weeks. Then you refer to a test that demonstrates decades of use if used once a day similar to how we charge our vape devices. Bit contradicting
    Did I call it or what?
    “Can”. As in “is capable of”. In my personal case “it happened” also qualifies. I don’t say it’s doomed I say it’s fragile. Fragile things aren’t required to automatically break, they merely do it more easily.

Baditude

ECF Guru
    ECF Veteran
    Apr 8, 2012
    Ridgeway, Ohio
    I have 3 Provari's that still work like new, all 7 years old; they are no longer in use because of how difficult it is to find quality button top batteries, and the fact that I am now a subohm vaper. Also have an AltSmoke Silver Bullet mech and Reo Grand mech, but prefer using a regulated variable wattage mod.

Last edited:

Baditude

ECF Guru
    ECF Veteran
    Apr 8, 2012
    Ridgeway, Ohio
    I remember the days of just get a Darwin or Provari LOL day gone by!
    I remember all the Provari vs Darwin, Provari vs Reo, Provari vs the latest Chinese mod threads. Interesting that it was always the Provari being compared to another mod. It was the gold standard of its day. RIP Provape.

Status
    Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread