Looking for a mech mod with a recessed button.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ghostc4

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 22, 2010
Oregon
So I have been looking for a while for a mech mod with a recessed button but everyone I have found seem to have something about it that I don't like. What I am looking for is a 18350 22mm mechanical mod with a locking switch and a recessed button and I am kind of afraid to say it but I would prefer it to be a clone.

Smellofcordite

ECF Veteran
Mar 27, 2014
San Jose California
The mcv overdose fits your description and so far it has been a killer mod, same with paps v3. But since you are going for clones, I think the penny mod has a recessed button. Also have you tried looking at poldiacs, they have a button on the side that is flush and recesses when you press it. I think fasttech has the clones.

JmanEspresso

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
  • Jul 15, 2013
    Westchester, NY,USA
    How about a Vanilla?

Best part about the Vanilla, in this case, is that its not a clone, yet its a good deal cheaper then the average going price of a mech that has its feature set.

Smooth as glass switch
    Well executed engraving
    Reverse Locking Ring
    Comes in 18350, 18500 and 18650 sizes
    Comes in a variety of alloys, including a 100% brass, two different Copper versions, and a classic Stainless Steel.

Best part?

20x1 threaded baby. I didn't buy it for this reason, but after owning it for a while, Id buy another one just to have another switch. Now, obviously my favorite of all my 20x1 switches is the GP PAPS V3. But coming in a close second in terms of feel, is the Vanilla for sure.

Ghostc4

ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Jul 22, 2010
    Oregon
    How about a Vanilla?

Best part about the Vanilla, in this case, is that its not a clone, yet its a good deal cheaper then the average going price of a mech that has its feature set.

Smooth as glass switch
    Well executed engraving
    Reverse Locking Ring
    Comes in 18350, 18500 and 18650 sizes
    Comes in a variety of alloys, including a 100% brass, two different Copper versions, and a classic Stainless Steel.

Best part?

20x1 threaded baby. I didn't buy it for this reason, but after owning it for a while, Id buy another one just to have another switch. Now, obviously my favorite of all my 20x1 switches is the GP PAPS V3. But coming in a close second in terms of feel, is the Vanilla for sure.
    I am kind of new to mech mods, so sorry if this seems like a dumb question but, what is so good about a 20x1 threading?

suspectK

Vaping Master
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Aug 7, 2013
    Alabummer
    4nine is my favorite right now.. infinite just put out a clone. The full copper version is in my crosshairs. If you get the original or female version, you'll need a little no-oxide on side of switch button to prevent galvanic corrosion.

The atomo is nice also, but the 4nine is a hair shorter in 18650 than atomo in 18500.. really majority of mods..I would say all, but vicious ant has a hybrid 18350 mod that is more like 43mm.. until battery technology leaps forward, you're not going to find a shorter mod.

JmanEspresso

ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
  • Jul 15, 2013
    Westchester, NY,USA
    The benefit to 20x1 Threading, is that it is fairly common.

Certainly not all mods use it, but a good amount do, and more are being made all the time. There is also a bunch of aftermarket parts, like top caps, switches, top cap reduction caps(like 22mm to 20mm for example), and hybrid connectors, all in 20x1.

There are even a bunch of atomizers that instead of a 510, they're 20x1 and thread right onto the tube.

Then, you can use ANY combination of Switch, Tube and Top Cap, AND Atomizer, that you like.

there is no official standard mod threading, each manufacturer or maker uses what they please. But a large chunk of mods out there use 20X1, so IF there is an official size, its 20x1. Enough mods and parts exist that its a thing, and there will only be more mods and parts added to the pool.

This morning, I was running one of my GP PAPS V3 tubes and switch, with my hybrid connector and my Quasar.. eliminates the 510 top cap for a hybrid look. Also, I have been running my ELM Dripper on my 18500 GP PAPS SS tube, with my Vanilla Switch, because it just looks sharp together.. ALL stainless, except for a little brass accent on the switch.

In the end, its just a way to customize your setup. But, when new mods come out that are 20x1 threaded, you're not just getting the mod itself, you're now also getting three more pieces for your entire 20x1 collection. Also, if seperate tubes are available, you can just buy the tube and not the whole mod.

Edit- Oh, and of course.. say you buy a new mod, and you hate the switch. No problem, grab any of your other switches and pop it on. Most of the time, any 20x1 items will come with the disclaimer that even though they're 20x1, they cant guarantee universal fitment. Every now and then one particular thing might not fit on one other particular thing, but thats just here and there. My ELM Dripper threads onto every single 20x1 tube I have, EXCEPT, one end of one of my GP Lux tubes. Just a luck of the draw random thread mismatch that I could probably muscle through.. but since Ive got plenty of other tubes and drippers and caps and switches and hybrid connectors... You see my point now I imagine..

second Edit- And it just so happens, some of the most highly sought after mods, are 20x1. GP PAPs and Versa are 20x1, and it is widely agreed upon they both make the definition of a perfect bottom switch. Also... Real Caravelas are 20x1...

Last edited:

v1k1ng1001

Ultra Member
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    May 17, 2012
    Edinburg, TX
    the Atomo V2 by Tobeco is a decent clone & can be had for 30 bucks at fluidvapes.

Can be had at Fasttech for $19. I own a Gnome clone which has the same exact magnetic, recessed switch and it's my favorite. Get the gnome clone if you want brushed stainless and the Atomo if you want polished stainless.

The switch on the gnome/atomo clones is infinitely better than the switch on the stingray or 4nine clones.

Also check out the "Celtic" and "Slojo" clones that are appearing.

Status
    Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread