Looking for a smoky/robust (non sweet) tobacco flavor(s)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Turbo

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 23, 2009
Southeast/USA
I'm new to DIY and have been having a blast trying my hand at mixing. My main mission is to replicate a good robust/smoky, non sweet tobacco. I've been vaping over a year and have vaped the same two tobacco liquids, so w/ that being the case..

What are some recommendations/flavorings for the above criteria? Here's what I've tried so far:

Flavor West DK, VA fire cured, Perfumer's Apprentice tobacco and 'sdan's smooth tobacco mix (Seedmans/TA/EM; found it to be too sweet). Even w/ 5% flavoring I'm still getting the 'floral, soapy, perfumy' taste.

wyojoe

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jan 8, 2011
Wyoming
I'm new to DIY and have been having a blast trying my hand at mixing. My main mission is to replicate a good robust/smoky, non sweet tobacco. I've been vaping over a year and have vaped the same two tobacco liquids, so w/ that being the case..

What are some recommendations/flavorings for the above criteria? Here's what I've tried so far:

Flavor West DK, VA fire cured, Perfumer's Apprentice tobacco and 'sdan's smooth tobacco mix (Seedmans/TA/EM; found it to be too sweet). Even w/ 5% flavoring I'm still getting the 'floral, soapy, perfumy' taste.

What E-juice has the same thing for good tobacco flavor? Robust/smokey (non sweet) tobacco flavored
e-juice. I am having a hard time finding a good tobacco taste> Thanks for any suggestions.

Turbo what is the 2 tobacco liquids you have been using??

Turbo

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 23, 2009
Southeast/USA
What E-juice has the same thing for good tobacco flavor? Robust/smokey (non sweet) tobacco flavored
e-juice. I am having a hard time finding a good tobacco taste> Thanks for any suggestions.

Turbo what is the 2 tobacco liquids you have been using??

@ 'hoosier': Thanks, I'll try the Burley then, sounds right up my alley. What flavor % do you start w/??

@ 'wyo': I'd been vaping MFS Dunhill and Lark. The Lark is my favorite and easiest on atties.

Turbo

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 23, 2009
Southeast/USA
5% is where I start.

Never been a fan of Burley by itself. But added to others, it really gives them something more "tobacco-ie".

Ok, thanks, I'll definitely pick some up. One last question w/ the flavors you mentioned; I'm assumig the 'P-Black' would be dark? I'm trying to stay away from dark juices. The Burley is something I need to try!

Turbo

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 23, 2009
Southeast/USA
I don't remember it being dark. Sorry, away from my flavoring stash right now.

The only one I know is dark is Dark Vapure, but when mixed it makes the juice kinda pink. Still mostly transparent at 5%, and Dark Vapure gives good flavor at 5 and I don't mind light pink juice.

Ok, I'll probably get a sample of each then. Thanks for your help.

wyojoe

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jan 8, 2011
Wyoming
Ok, thanks, I'll definitely pick some up. One last question w/ the flavors you mentioned; I'm assumig the 'P-Black' would be dark? I'm trying to stay away from dark juices. The Burley is something I need to try!
The Burly from Liberty-Flights is clear like water. It has a weedy tobacco taste, and I will play with it more when I get time. It does add to the taste of tobacco.
Thanks for the info on the Dunhill and Lark

Papa Lazarou

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Nov 15, 2008
UK

The FA Perique Black is colourless (and in my experience doesn't change much in colour after mixing either - many of them do gradually take on colour). It's most definitely not sweet - it's very dry with an ash like smell to it. It's one I have to use in small amounts (like 1-2%) with something else.

Turbo

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 23, 2009
Southeast/USA
The FA Perique Black is colourless (and in my experience doesn't change much in colour after mixing either - many of them do gradually take on colour). It's most definitely not sweet - it's very dry with an ash like smell to it. It's one I have to use in small amounts (like 1-2%) with something else.

Super, thanks for your input too, very good info. Some color is alright, just not dark, so I'll be sure to grab that w/ the others. The description you give sounds like the tobacco I'm vaping now, so I'll definitely look forward to trying it and will report back!

Even Dark Vapure or Cuban Supreme aren't that dark in the testers I have had blended for a while, kinda like a medium caramel color.

I don't think they are anything you need to be concerned about, but I don't understand why you don't want dark flavors. They definitely don't have any weird caramel or sticky sugars. I've gotten that from some places selling mixed juice so I am guessing that is what you are worried about.

edit: I'm going to be getting some new tobacco flavors from PA (the new absolute and something that doesn't seem to be listed on the main part of their website). People seem to like guaiacol for the smoky flavor and PA has that in their tobacco molecules section too, but I haven't tried it yet. I think scubadan mixes it at like 1-2%.

Last edited:
That's what I thought, which is why I was telling you that you don't have to worry about that with these dark flavors. Except in some very few cases there are no sweeteners added, if you stick with PA & FA, and there is definitely no "reducing sugars" in them.

Some have ethyl maltol or similar, but those are sugar flavors and not sweeteners or anything that should gunk an atty. These two tobaccos don't seem to have any ethyl maltol from what I remember, definitely not Cuban and probably not much if any in Dark Vapure.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread