Looking for some guidance! (Soon to be new vaper!)

Status
Not open for further replies.

MistaLC

Feb 28, 2016
Hey forum new guy here and soon to be vaper!

I am making this post asking for a bit of guidance on how I should go about getting my first build together. Basically I'm looking for something that will give me some decent sized clouds and good flavor. I've looked at a lot of reviews on multiple websites but I'm still unsure of how I should go about this. I've looked at a lot of sub-ohm tanks I personally feel I'd be wise for me to start there with a TC Mod. I'd rather spend the extra money now and get something I'll enjoy for a long time that will work semi worry free rather then spend money on a starter kit and end up upgrading a few months from now. I'll also apologize now for the wall of text. :/

My questions:
1. Tanks/Coils: What tank would you recommend for someone that wants flavor and clouds? Of the ones I've looked at and read up on the ones that have caught my attention most (maybe that's just the hype making them look like amazing tanks) were the Uwell Crown, Innokin iSub Apex or the iSub S, SMOK TFV4, and Sense Herakles Plus. I haven't bought anything yet, I was going to but then I stumbled across the forum thread about the Uwell coils (them being really bad) here. Is there any update on that or any place thats selling good coils for them yet? The Innokin iSub Apex I feel as if the not being able to take the tank completely apart would cause issues, what is your idea on this? I mentioned the iSub S because I believe thats a TC one that comes with the Cortex simply wanted to know if it was any good. The SMOK TFV4 just looks awesome, its got tons of good reviews but I'm just curious if its like the the Uwell as far as coils go. For the Herakles I read some things that people have issues with the juice control causing leakage. All in all how are the coil life spans with any of these while using high VG Fruity flavors?

2. Mods/Batteries: A few of the mods I looked at were the Joyetech Cuboid, Innokin Cool Fire IV PLUS, and Innokin Cortex. For me personally I really liked the reviews on the Cuboid and how it looks I like the design. I was really leaning towards the Cortex the most but I don't want to be stuck with a 80W that maybe wouldn't be able to give enough juice to another tank besides the Apex or the iSub S. I know both Innokins have batteries in the mod already, how often to those crap out? On the topic of batteries this is the thing I found really confusing and frustrating the reviews of people saying battery x is better than battery y and battery z is better than y but not better than x because of this.... :S

3. Juices: I know flavor will be up to me that's personal preference but what I'd like to know is ratios, what ratios are ideal for the items I listed could I run max VG in any of these or would I need to go with a 70/30, 50/50, etc.

4. Site/Shop: Giving what I listed what site would be ideal for me to purchase something that's had some controversy in past months.

If any of these things you have hands on experience with or heck if something I listed is your exact build let me know how it is. I'm ideally looking for something I can blow some decent clouds with and get some good flavor. Sorry for all of the text but in my research I've gotten a bit worried about taking too many chances on too many different things.

Thanks in advance to anyone and everyone that takes the time to look at this!

Happy vaping!

roxynoodle

Unregistered Supplier
ECF Veteran
Jun 19, 2014
Ohio
Are you a current smoker? If so, how long have you smoked? I ask because you may not really want to go straight to a high power, subohm type set up, and do direct to lung inhaling. I couldn't when I first started vaping after smoking for 35 years. I had to let my lungs begin healing, then work up to it little by little.

I'll address batteries though. Good 20A batteries (up to 60W in a single battery mod or 120W in a dual battery mod):

LG HE2, HE4 or HG2
Samsung 25r or 30Q
Sony VTC5

30A batteries (75W single battery, 150W dual battery)

Sony VTC4
LG HB2 or HB6

Reputable online sellers:
RTD Vapor
Illumn.com
Orbtronics
IMR Batteries

Do not buy batteries on ebay or Amazon, to ensure you do not get counterfeits, especially Sony batteries.

MistaLC

Feb 28, 2016
I used to smoke years ago, and I've always been kind of a hippy if you know what I mean. What sparked my interest was a family member of mine recently switched to vaping instead of smoking and I tried out her Cool Fire IV PLUS (the tank I don't remember exactly) I took a few 40-45w drags of it and instantly fell in love with it. Since then I've used it a few more times if we've hung out. Like I'm not looking to go right into a lung buster or something I just want something that I'll get my moneys worth out of in the long run. I was looking into the Krixus tank with the rewick-able ceramic coil, maybe once I figure out when those are going to be available and where I'll purchase that along with a Cool Fire.

Sir2fyablyNutz

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 22, 2015
West Virginia, USA
hi @MistaLC and welcome to the forum. The battery info above is spot on. If you get a mod with replaceable batteries then you will want a quality separate battery charger like the Nitecore or Xtar. (that way you aren't tethered to the mod during recharge)

I have the TFV4 and it really isn't a beginner mod, it guzzles juice and eats batteries. I run the factory triple coil at 60 watts and the Clapton dual at 50 watts. I don't really care much for the single rba (the part you build your own coils on) but have a double one ordered as well to try.

I have a Crown ordered from friends opinions on it but haven't received it yet. I build my own coils so I ordered the rba too.

I do have a half dozen Kanger Subtank Mini's which are excellent medium vape experience tanks. It is a great tank to learn to build on the rba (very easy and CHEAP). You can use the factory coils here as well, and they come in temp control.

My favorite mod at the moment is the Wismec Reuleaux RX200 (Temp Control), a triple 18650 battery mod (love the mah). It is more ergonomic (in my opinion) than any of the 2 battery mods I own and you can also upgrade the firmware. ($45)

In any 2 or 3 battery mods you need to keep the same batteries in sets (married and labeled) so that they all get equal use and recharge. In this safety issue you keep from having the mod draw more on one battery causing failure.

The Coolfire is a great little mod. Innokin makes a quality product.

Good luck in your decisions and journey.

Maiar

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Oct 29, 2014
Regina, Saskatchewan, Canada
I'd also recommend the subtank series from kanger as a good place to start. There's enough different resistances to the coils that you should be able to figure out exactly where you like your vape to be. The RBA is fairly simple to use, though I'm having problems getting mine wicked properly. Personally I'd stay away from the isub series if you're looking for flavor. Vapor production wise, they're great, and they produce more vapor at lower power than anything I've seen. But it's just all so flavorless I find. I've tried a ton of tanks at my local shop, and I think the best balance of flavor, ease of use and vapor production goes to the subtanks.

Reactions: ChiDi621

ShamrockPat

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
  • Nov 5, 2015
    Grand Forks, ND
    I agree with all the advice you've been given so far. Batteries, super important, and the one place you should never cheap out. As for Mods, I've had the Evic Mini from Joyetech (single battery), and the Reuleaux (3 battery). The Reuleaux can last me 2 days before recharging. The cuboid (2 battery) should be good. They're always doing firmware upgrades, etc. Moreso than the others.

IMHO, my next mod will be an American mod like a Vaporshark, or some product where if you need support, it's handled in the USA. My evic Mini started malfunctioning, and Joyetech jerked my chain like you wouldn't believe. Once those Asian companies have your money, they're done with you.

Tanks - Mine are mainly Aspire, and no problems. They have an old Atlantis V2, that still gets rave reviews to this day. Bottom fill. Numerous different coils from Nickel, to Kanthal, to Stainless Steel, and Claptons.

You might want to buy one RTA, where you can build and wick your own coil. You never what idiotic laws will come into place (taxes, etc) and you'll wanna be able to build your own.

Nate57

Nov 19, 2014
    Seattle
    • Deleted by retired1
    • Reason: Forum Rules
    Status
    Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread