Looking into sub-ohms

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey everyone. So I've been vaping for a while now (about 6 months). I started on an ego, moved up to an itaste vv3 and have been recently looking into dripping and sub ohm stuff. I am looking for suggestions on good setups to get for that. I would like to spend less that $100 dollars but I am open to suggestions and if the quality is right, I don't mind shelling out some extra cash. Let me know what you all think!
Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

GeorgeWachsmuth

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 19, 2014
Riverhead, NY, USA
39 Dollar K100 mech kit.....11 dollar battery....15 dollar IGO W......10 dollars worth of 28ga Kanthal...3 dollars worth of cotton. Fingernal clipper for 5 dollars and a 5/64 drill bit for 2. 85 dollars total. Add 10 to 15 for shipping and you are at 100 dollars.GOOGLE around....(Kit comes with a charger and an 18650 and 18350 battery you can use for non sub ohm stuff)

Last edited:

Juanmoretime

Apr 8, 2014
Orange, CA
I'd recommend a cheap K100 Empire clone, what really matters when you go sub-ohm is the quality of your batteries. I usually go with Efest 18650 30 amp high drain batteries. And for an RDA I'd probably start with an IGO-W because first off it's cheap but it's relatively easy to build on and you have the option for single/dual/quad coil setups if you would like down the line.

Asbestos4004

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 11, 2013
Sugar Hill, Georgia
Stingray or Nemesis mechs are quite popular and versatile. They're small in 18650 mode and the switches are nice. There's some nice clones available to keep your cost down. The Helios is a nice dripper that gives you lots of easy build options. Don't skimp on batteries...30 amp Sony's or Orbtronics are really good. Get a decent multimeter. Download an ohms law calculator and have fun.

Juanmoretime

Apr 8, 2014
Orange, CA
Thanks for the info everyone. I was also thinking about using the itaste to check the ohms until I get a proper reader. I currently build coils for my protank that I use on there. I'll have to look into some options

Good luck on your journey into the sub-ohm world :vapor:

bigmaaark

ECF Veteran
Sep 14, 2013
rancho cucamonga, ca
+1 on the k100-k101 with an igo w. the thing that will cost you the most are the batteries. i always carry 4 batteries with me. once i notice a change in vape quality i change them out. better safe than sorry. and a good charger (i use a nitecore i4) which if i recall was like $25. since you rebuild protank coils it sounds like you have supplies already. good luck. but beware...you WILL be going through juice like crazy!

HazMatt

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 12, 2013
Columbia, TN, USA
Pinkfloydfan91, do you shop on Fasttech? If so, I have put together a kit that costs $60.41 with free shipping. It may take 2 months to be delivered though.

I have not tried the Sentinel M16 telescopic clone or the ohm meter but, they have good reviews. If you are interested, I can post the links to each item.

The only other items you will need are, 100 ft of 28g Kanthal A1, which is $7.75 delivered from Temco. Organic cotton balls, available at your local pharmacy. And, your favorite e-liquid.

You can try different gauge kanthal but, 28g is a good place to start. What gauge do you use to rebuild your heads?

GeorgeWachsmuth

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 19, 2014
Riverhead, NY, USA
George, you forgot about a charger and most importantly an ohm meter.

Yep...charger comes with the kit...I used the ohm meter on the MVP/(and he has the itaste) for so long, I forgot....so another 15 to 20 for a meter and you are at 115....whoops!

Last edited:
Pinkfloydfan91, do you shop on Fasttech? If so, I have put together a kit that costs $60.41 with free shipping. It may take 2 months to be delivered though.

I have not tried the Sentinel M16 telescopic clone or the ohm meter but, they have good reviews. If you are interested, I can post the links to each item.

The only other items you will need are, 100 ft of 28g Kanthal A1, which is $7.75 delivered from Temco. Organic cotton balls, available at your local pharmacy. And, your favorite e-liquid.

You can try different gauge kanthal but, 28g is a good place to start. What gauge do you use to rebuild your heads?

I use 30 gauge right now. Never shopped at fast tech but have head good things

If you get a chance to post the links please do. I'm open to as many suggestions as possible right now

HazMatt

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 12, 2013
Columbia, TN, USA
I forgot a torch and tweezers. Those can be purchased at Walmart. I have heard that the Zippo sized Ronnson jet lighter is fine for torching kanthal. Combined, those are less than $12 if I remember correctly.

The reason I recommend using a separate ohm reader is that they seem to be more accurate and display to the hundredths of an ohm. The only mod i have that will even read my sub-ohm builds is a Vamo and it only displays to the tenth. Something that reads 0.8 ohm on my Vamo may read 0.75 on my little black ohm meter. That may not sound like much of a difference but, if you decide to try lower sub-ohm builds, knowing the difference between 0.2 and 0.16 could be very important.

Last edited:
I forgot a torch and tweezers. Those can be purchased at Walmart. I have heard that the Zippo sized Ronnson jet lighter is fine for torching kanthal. Combined, those are less than $12 if I remember correctly.

The reason I recommend using a separate ohm reader is that they seem to be more accurate and display to the hundredths of an ohm. The only mod i have that will even read my sub-ohm builds is a Vamo and it only displays to the tenth. Something that reads 0.8 ohm on my Vamo may read 0.75 on my little black ohm meter. That may not sound like much of a difference but, if you decide to try lower sub-ohm builds, knowing the difference between 0.2 and 0.16 could be very important.

Got a Torch and tweezers for my protank builds. I'm probably just going to invest in an ohm reader to be on the safe side. I'm guessing the torch and tweezers for a sub ohm build is to condense the coil (the same as my protank builds)?

HazMatt

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 12, 2013
Columbia, TN, USA
Here is the kit I assembled from Fasttech.

Sentinel M16 clone. I don't have any experience with it but, it is inexpensive and has good reviews.
$11.54 Sentinel M16 Telescopic Mechanical Mod - silver / aluminum + brass at FastTech - Worldwide Free Shipping

Sony vtc4 30a batteries
$12.31 Authentic Sony US18650VTC4 3.6V 2100mAh Rechargeable Li-Ion Battery (2-Piece) at FastTech - Worldwide Free Shipping

Nitecore charger
$15.05 Nitecore I2 Lithium Li-ion Ni-MH Ni-Cd Smart Battery Charger - US plug / 2-channel charger at FastTech - Worldwide Free Shipping

Trident clone. I have one of these. Good build quality, adjustable airflow for single or dual coil. Throw out the coil that is in this and clean the rda thoroughly with dish soap and hot water. There is machine oil residue. You should do the same with any Chinese rda/rba clones. The o-rings are tight. Lube them with e-liquid before reassembling.
$11.06 Trident Stainless Steel Rebuildable Atomizer at FastTech - Worldwide Free Shipping

little black ohm meter. I have no experience with it but, it has good reviews.
$10.45 Atomizer Resistance Tester (Ohm Meter) - eGo/510/808 connector at FastTech - Worldwide Free Shipping

Use coupon code BLF to save a little on the batteries and charger. $59.04 with free shipping.

PGR-Scooter

Verified Member
Nov 18, 2013
Orange, CA
This suggestion is a bit over your stated budget but I believe it will save you money in the long run.
Get a REO. I say this because you mention both dripping and sub ohm.
All the new REO's now come with the "sub ohm kit" so you can build basically any coil you like and you get the benefits of dripping without the hassle.
Check it out here.

Reos Mods

HazMatt

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 12, 2013
Columbia, TN, USA
Got a Torch and tweezers for my protank builds. I'm probably just going to invest in an ohm reader to be on the safe side. I'm guessing the torch and tweezers for a sub ohm build is to condense the coil (the same as my protank builds)?

Yep, torch and tweezers for compressing the coils and tucking in the wicks. I torch the kanthal before wrapping a coil and after wrapping to compress the coil.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread